Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #3701
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

He probably figured it was easy to just get rid of NAFTA and only after a ten minute conversation where it was explained to him what NAFTA actually was did he realize it was more complicated than that. I'm sure you all realize that a month from now he's going to be taking credit for saving NAFTA.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #3702
Easy Mac

Weird how Republicans are so obsessed with voter fraud, but when they have an actual instance they can point to, its one of their own, and they decide to ignore it.

DA declines to charge North Carolina woman who cast vote for Trump in dead mom's name | abc11.com
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #3703
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Q: how is milk literally selling for 1.28$ in Ohio when 15 miles over in PA there is a state minimum of 3.40$ I think. Surely it costs a helluva lot more than 1.28 to produce a gallon of milk, right?

Anyways I find myself getting 4-5 gallons every time I stop at Walmart there. Even if I throw away some I'm still way ahead.

Stores will sell milk at a loss in order to get people into the store to buy other stuff.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #3704
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Stores will sell milk at a loss in order to get people into the store to buy other stuff.

Yep. It's a major loss-leader item, along with eggs and, in recent years, holiday turkeys.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #3705
rjolley
College Starter

Milk and eggs are loss-leaders? I wouldn't have guessed that. How much of a loss?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #3706
cuervo72
Head Coach

Interesting; eggs were trending pretty high for a while.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #3707
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, who is going to the store to buy milk and eggs but not other things? I'm all about the other things.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #3708
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Also, who is going to the store to buy milk and eggs but not other things? I'm all about the other things.

Milk and eggs are historically two of the more common (eggs less so in the past handful of years) "random trip to refill" items. Bread is right there as well of course though less commonly a loss-leader choice afaik.

That isn't the case in my house but I'm not typical either.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #3709
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Southerners who are told it may snow in the next 10-12 months.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #3710
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Call us typical then. Milk, Eggs, and Bread are 1, 1a, and 1b on our "need to go pick some up real quick" items.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #3711
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #3712
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Legitimately the easiest story for local TV news every time snow past, present, or future is mentioned. I'm surprised they don't just loop stock footage of empty shelves and stupid interviews for each one.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #3713
lungs
Pro Rookie

Even as a dairy farmer, milk is my number one reason to go to the store
Old 04-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #3714
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm guessing by Trump's series of tweets today that a budget isn't going to pass.

It's amazing that the party that controls the presidency, Congress, and Senate is pointing fingers. If you control that much of the government and can't get something to pass it might just be your policy and not the minority party that's the issue.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #3715
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm guessing by Trump's series of tweets today that a budget isn't going to pass.

It's amazing that the party that controls the presidency, Congress, and Senate is pointing fingers. If you control that much of the government and can't get something to pass it might just be your policy and not the minority party that's the issue.

It'll still be the fault of the Democrats
Old 04-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #3716
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Milk and eggs are historically two of the more common (eggs less so in the past handful of years) "random trip to refill" items. Bread is right there as well of course though less commonly a loss-leader choice afaik.

That isn't the case in my house but I'm not typical either.

I mean, milk - ok. Wife ain't gonna like not having her cereal. But we have one in the fridge, a backup in the garage fridge, and that might last us a couple of weeks.

Bread? Nobody makes sandwiches.

Eggs are a matter of what, if anything, we need to make. Ain't nobody got time to make them in the morning. We might bake something every couple of weeks. I think our last dozen lasted us a couple of months.

Granted, we eat out/pick up food a lot. But if I'm cooking dinner, I'm not that likely to need milk, bread, or eggs. Butter, yeah.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #3717
cuervo72
Head Coach

SODA six-packs, now those I pick up basically every time I'm in the store.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #3718
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

You mean, you can't just go out back and get some fresh from the tap? That's not how that works? (Ok, so I'm half joking. You can't siphon off some drinkable milk from what you sell?)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #3719
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

"Don't get high off your own supply."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #3720
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Redux, Obama circa: 2009 lol.

That said, I agree with you, most of what the current admin and Congress is putting out right now is either complete shit or shitty enough to not get support.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #3721
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Pentagon investigation shows Flynn had connections to RT and the Turkish government. Give him immunity and watch it all crumble.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #3722
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
You mean, you can't just go out back and get some fresh from the tap? That's not how that works? (Ok, so I'm half joking. You can't siphon off some drinkable milk from what you sell?)

I can, but my cows have pretty high fat content. Normal whole milk is 3.5% fat. My cows are more like 4.4% fat because I've bred them that way for making cheese and butter.

I actually prefer 1% milk.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #3723
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I can, but my cows have pretty high fat content. Normal whole milk is 3.5% fat. My cows are more like 4.4% fat because I've bred them that way for making cheese and butter.

I actually prefer 1% milk.

Ah, thanks. Learning more (with more questions) with each post.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #3724
lungs
Pro Rookie

Plus the lack of pasteurization. I know plenty of people think raw milk is awesome, but I'm a big believer in pasteurization.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #3725
Edward64
Head Coach

Trying to get a updated healthcare bill up for vote soon ... but don't see alot of details of the changes in the news sites. Apparently the Freedom Caucus is now supporting the new version but some GOP moderates are now not supporting it.

Smells of desperation. I do think some changes are needed but it'll be fun to watch the scramble and fingerpointing if it fails the vote a second time.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #3726
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Trying to get a updated healthcare bill up for vote soon ... but don't see alot of details of the changes in the news sites. Apparently the Freedom Caucus is now supporting the new version but some GOP moderates are now not supporting it.

Smells of desperation. I do think some changes are needed but it'll be fun to watch the scramble and fingerpointing if it fails the vote a second time.

Eh, nevermind ...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/27/politi....html?adkey=bn
Quote:
Washington (CNN)The House of Representatives will not vote on health care this week, despite a White House attempt to revive a health care reform package ahead of President Donald Trump's 100th day in office.

"We are not voting on health care this week," House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy told reporters late Thursday.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #3727
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the new tax reform plan is going to have trouble passing. Can't imagine a Republican in a state with higher taxes would vote for it since it's eliminating the state income tax deduction.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #3728
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think the new tax reform plan is going to have trouble passing. Can't imagine a Republican in a state with higher taxes would vote for it since it's eliminating the state income tax deduction.

It's a big fuck you to big blue states, but those states send a lot of GOP reps to congress. The @30 GOP reps from NY, NJ and CA are going to be a tough sell for any tax bill that eliminates that deduction.

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-28-2017 at 06:38 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #3729
PilotMan
Head Coach

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN17U0CA

Quote:
"I loved my previous life. I had so many things going," Trump told Reuters in an interview. "This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."

Pussy.

photo Trump Easy.jpg

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-28-2017 at 07:05 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #3730
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does Mr. President need some Midol?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #3731
Butter
Coordinator

There's an easy way to fix that.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #3732
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From the above Reuters story:

Quote:
More than five months after his victory and two days shy of the 100-day mark of his presidency, the election is still on Trump's mind. Midway through a discussion about Chinese President Xi Jinping, the president paused to hand out copies of what he said were the latest figures from the 2016 electoral map.

"Here, you can take that, that's the final map of the numbers," the Republican president said from his desk in the Oval Office, handing out maps of the United States with areas he won marked in red. "It’s pretty good, right? The red is obviously us."

He had copies for each of the three Reuters reporters in the room.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #3734
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, 100 days in. What do you think?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/29/politi...mage-100-days/
Quote:
(CNN)The world was dumbfounded by the election of Donald Trump, and his first 100 days in office have done little to alleviate a deep sense of uncertainty and unpredictability. Indeed, as one observer put it, the last few weeks alone have caused a severe case of global geostrategic whiplash.

The number of campaign promises that have morphed into presidential U-turns is staggering. Allies and adversaries alike are trying to figure out whether a Trump Doctrine is emerging, or whether, as former CIA Director Michael Hayden recently told me, a discernible doctrine does not exist in what resembles a family-run business of policy from the White House.

Reality and acceptance has set in that Trump is president.

In no particular order, some thoughts

-- I am glad he is taking a hard-line on North Korea. Diplomacy has failed and short of China doing something about it, it will come to a head with US sooner or later. I prefer sooner. Per Tom Clancy, this is a "clear and present danger" and I'm good with (secretly making an exception and) assassinating the crazy kid by making it look like an accident

-- Stock market. Its up and that's great. I'm not sure Trump gets much credit for this as alot of his pro-economic growth may/is bluster and may not come to pass with his team's poor planning, approach, underestimation of complexity etc. He does get credit for not screwing it up.

-- Economy. I think we are doing well but similar to stock market, don't think he gets much credit for this. But he has not screwed it up

-- Syria. It seems that we are getting more involved and helping out more. I think the war to overthrow Assad is lost, the rebels (and the US) had a moment in time where he was on the ropes but with Russian intervention (IMO because of Obama's weakness), it won't happen unless Russia wants it to happen. Best we can hope for is we get a piece of the pie by supporting our allies and removing the rest of ISIL in Syria

-- Iraq. Don't think he gets alot of credit here. The push back of ISIL and the Mosul offensive was done under Obama. But he hasn't screwed it up by saying or doing something really stupid to the Iraqi government

-- Foreign relations. Lots of disrespecting of our allies and trade partners. I kinda like Tillerson. Whenever I see him on TV, he exudes confidence and seriousness and our allies probably think the same. He doesn't seem to be a guy that would work well with Trump but it seems to be working so far. Overall, there is disruption, Trump has put them off-balance and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I do wish he would be more careful with our better allies

-- Repealing Obamacare. I do think it needs some changing, shoring up etc. but not a repeal/replacement with a tax credit. So I am grateful he has failed miserably so far and this may result in him having to compromise/making a deal with the democrats.

I want more transparency and competition in service/pricing, but not just in the payer level, I want to see it on the provider level. For the Pharma's, there's just something wrong when drugs researched and developed in the US cost more for us here than in other industrialized countries.

-- Infrastructure plan. I really like this idea but no plan or solid progress to move it along that I've seen

-- Reforming immigration. All I've seen is alot of Dreamer angst in the news but I've not seen much progress on the big picture? I am more for letting highly educated immigrants in, fixing the abuse of H-1/L visas etc., and reducing illegal immigration

-- Ivanka and Kushner. Its great that Trump has people he can trust. I'm okay with them visiting places and representing Trump. IMO they represent Trump better than alot of official representatives

-- Tax Reform. Its going to happen sooner rather than later. I hope its this year and retroactive to this year.

and I'll end with ...

-- The Wall. I'm glad the Dems are using Trump's bluster about the Mexicans paying for it as a reason why they will not support funding for it, kinda brings it out into the open. However, I still support it and want to see it built (and it better be "beautiful").

In summary all-in-all, still a work in progress, but its not quite as bad as I expected right after the election. He has started surrounding himself with some good people

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-29-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #3735
RainMaker
General Manager

Not much has changed so it's kind of hard to judge. Lot of talk and not much action.

North Korea - I like the approach. Tired of North Korea threatening us with destruction. I don't think they are a threat to the mainland at all but why take the chance? A war would be terrible but a harder stance and getting China involved is necessary.

Economy - Not sure whether a President should get much credit/blame for the economy. It did only grow at 0.7% which is not good.

Immigration - Not a fan of the ban he put in place but I was supportive of his talk to deport illegals and shore up the border. Doesn't seem like either is happening though. Deportations are down since Trump took office. I am hoping the H1B reform is more than just talk. That abuse has been hurting American skilled labor for some time.

Infrastructure - I like the idea of an infrastructure plan but not sure I would call what he is proposing that. It's more just a tax break for companies than it is actually building stuff.

Tax Reform - I'm all for it but his plan is terrible. Raises taxes on the middle class, drastically cuts it for the rich, and puts us even further into debt. I'm fine with cuts if it's also met with balancing the budget. This just seems like it'll destroy tax revenues.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #3736
digamma
Torchbearer

100 days. Let him eat cake. I guess.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #3737
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
100 days. Let him eat cake. I guess.

Trump hands out 2016 electoral map during Reuters interview - Business Insider

That's what we call this, right?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #3738
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
-- Ivanka and Kushner. Its great that Trump has people he can trust. I'm okay with them visiting places and representing Trump. IMO they represent Trump better than alot of official representatives

Seems to be their role, yeah.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #3739
Atocep
Coordinator

It's interesting that deportations are down from the Obama administration. With all the talk and discussion of tactics used by the administration to deport people you'd think think the numbers would be up.

I still don't think there's been a reasonable solution proposed for immigration either. A wall does nothing other than spend money, damage the environment, and needlessly take people's land. No one seems to know what better vetting means for legal immigration.

I don't see tax reform happening any time soon. If the current proposal is the framework for what eventually passes Trump will be a one term president.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #3740
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There is no way in hell what is currently proposed will get through the Senate.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #3741
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Trump is garbage. He's only interested in issues that benefit the Trump brand and nothing else.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #3742
mckerney
Coordinator

Amazing.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-01-2017 at 10:13 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #3743
RainMaker
General Manager

Jackson wasn't alive during the Civil War. Are you sure that is real?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #3744
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...war/101149060/
Old 05-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #3745
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Amazing.

hmmm?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #3746
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Bradd Jaffy on Twitter: "Here's the audio of Trump: “…but why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?â€
https://t.co/pdIg0T92zT"
Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #3747
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

No clue why that would cause you to question the authenticity. He's within a couple decades, which is closer than I'd expect him to get.

Also no one ever asks, why was there a Civil War?

Trump: 'Why was there the Civil War?' | TheHill

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-01-2017 at 10:37 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #3748
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I'll agree to believe Trump's assertion that Andrew Jackson was alive for the Civil War if he can get Frederick Douglass to go on TV to back up his claim.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #3749
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

hmmm?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #3750
larrymcg421
Head Coach

To me, the idea that Trump thinks Jackson was alive during the Civil War is not nearly as bad as his idea that pro-slavery Jackson should've been President during that time or the idiotic assertion that no one asks about why was there a Civil War.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-01-2017 at 10:58 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote