Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

RFL 2008, Wk 5: Preview/Results--File due by Monday (9/1) at 11pm EST

Good luck in week 5!

Here are our matchups:

#24 Alabama (3-1) at #1 Georgia (4-0)
Minnesota (2-2) at #2 Ohio State (4-0)
#7 Wisconsin (3-0) at Michigan (2-1)
Maryland (3-1) at #8 Clemson (4-0)
#11 USC (1-1) at Oregon State (1-2)
Stanford (0-4) at #22 Washington (3-0)
Purdue (2-1) at Notre Dame (3-0)
Michigan State (2-2) at Indiana (3-0)

Bye Week: #15 Texas, Boston College

Courtesy of Galaxy:

Last edited by Kodos : 08-25-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Hell of a preview there, Kodos
Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm going to send my Top 25 ranking to Kodos in about a hour. I figured he could combine the two.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Are the servers down?

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-25-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Shockingly.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Alright...finally playing a decent team in Maryland. Now I get to see if my ass can cash the checks my mouth has been writing.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Hell of a preview there, Kodos

Thank you, kind sir!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Notre Dame takes home our first piece of hardware, capturing the Shillelagh Trophy with a 35-14 victory over in-state arch rivals Purdue. It was wet and rainy, and Purdue threw 7 interceptions! Our offense really didn't play that well, but we made plays when we had to make them, The defense gave our offense good field position off the turnovers (including one interception that was returned).

With four recruits in-town, we hope this win convinced them Notre Dame is back. Now 4-0, with a weak Stanford team coming in, we have a good shot to go to 5-0 and break into the Top 25 (if we can actually get some votes) heading into our bye week before we hit the down-stretch.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-28-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson takes care of NC State, albeit sloppily, with a 28-14 win in rainy Clemson, SC. Spiller and Davis had pedestrian games, but it was enough to run our record to 5-0.

edit: blah...did I say NC State? I meant Maryland

Last edited by Karlifornia : 08-26-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

UW gets a great home win against Stanford, 24-20. This game was tight all the way through, with Stanford holding the lead most of the way. We managed to plug away on the ground and finally took the lead in the 4th. Stanford was game though, and with around 3 minutes to go in the game, they faced a 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line to take the lead:

Great play by #21 Desmond Davis (Believe it or not, I was actually controlling him on the corner blitz. Felt so good...ha).

We managed to go 3 and out and punt the ball back to Stanford. The Cardinal immediately drive back down inside my 10 yard line. Again, the Husky defense would bend....and not break. Here is Stanford on 4th and Goal from the 6 yard line, with just over 1 minute left in the game:

Looks like CB Dexter Davis gets away with a little bump here, but you gotta let 'em play. Sweet win, especially considering we had about 7 recruits in the house.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
UW gets a great home win against Stanford, 24-20. This game was tight all the way through, with Stanford holding the lead most of the way. We managed to plug away on the ground and finally took the lead in the 4th. Stanford was game though, and with around 3 minutes to go in the game, they faced a 4th and Goal from the 1 yard line to take the lead:

Great play by #21 Desmond Davis (Believe it or not, I was actually controlling him on the corner blitz. Felt so good...ha).

We managed to go 3 and out and punt the ball back to Stanford. The Cardinal immediately drive back down inside my 10 yard line. Again, the Husky defense would bend....and not break. Here is Stanford on 4th and Goal from the 6 yard line, with just over 1 minute left in the game:

Looks like CB Dexter Davis gets away with a little bump here, but you gotta let 'em play. Sweet win, especially considering we had about 7 recruits in the house.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the game that being close with Stanford coming in next week to South Bend. We are rated 81 with a terrific defense.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Good luck in week 5!

Here are our matchups:

#24 Alabama (3-1) at #1 Georgia (4-0)
Minnesota (2-2) at #2 Ohio State (4-0)
#7 Wisconsin (3-0) at Michigan (2-1)
Maryland (3-1) at #8 Clemson (4-0)
#11 USC (1-1) at Oregon State (1-2)
Stanford (0-4) at #22 Washington (3-0)
Purdue (2-1) at Notre Dame (3-0)
Michigan State (2-2) at Indiana (3-0)

Bye Week: #15 Texas, Boston College

Courtesy of Galaxy:

Thanks Kodos. It looks a lot nicer when the poll presented in that format.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

I always get made fun of for adding color to my spreadsheets. Glad you liked my additions.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

So all three games so far have been wet and rainy. Interesting.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

This week's top games:
Ole Miss (4-0) at #3 Florida
#19 Tennessee at #17 Auburn
#13 Virginia Tech at Nebraska (3-0)
#23 Fresno State at UCLA (1-2) *UCLA is rated a B overall, Fresno State is rated a C+ overall
#14 Illinois at #10 Penn State
Old 08-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan takes down #7 Wisconsin 42-27 in a slugfest that featured big play after big play. Michigan was lead by RB Carlos Brown who had 17 carries for 99 yards and 2 scores, but also contributed with huge punt returns. The play of the game though was DB Morgan Trent taking a kickoff back 95 yards directly following a 65 yard TD run by Wisconsin RB Lance Smith.

Thankfully for Michigan, Smith would get hurt after 7 carries for 86 yards, leaving the Wisconsin running game utterly hopeless.

Sophmore DB Donovan Warren was also huge for Michigan, with 11 tackles in the win.

Now Michigan gets to relax a few days before a battle with #14 Illinois at the Big House.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Michigan takes down #7 Wisconsin 42-27 in a slugfest that featured big play after big play. Michigan was lead by RB Carlos Brown who had 17 carries for 99 yards and 2 scores, but also contributed with huge punt returns. The play of the game though was DB Morgan Trent taking a kickoff back 95 yards directly following a 65 yard TD run by Wisconsin RB Lance Smith.

Thankfully for Michigan, Smith would get hurt after 7 carries for 86 yards, leaving the Wisconsin running game utterly hopeless.

Sophmore DB Donovan Warren was also huge for Michigan, with 11 tackles in the win.

Now Michigan gets to relax a few days before a battle with #14 Illinois at the Big House.

Nice! As much as I should detest my rivals (of course, I like Michigan better than Notre Dame in real life), the strength of schedule greatly helps. Michigan should get back into the Top 25, as I think that Fresno State and Alabama have a good chance of losing and falling out of the Top 25 this week.

Don't forget to cast your vote in the RFL poll.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-26-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

After an 0-2 start, the Gophers are now a respectable 2-2 after blowing out FCS's Scott Baio Tech and barely hanging on vs. Florida Atlantic. Now we get #2 Ohio State.

We are so fucking done.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #19
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
After an 0-2 start, the Gophers are now a respectable 2-2 after blowing out FCS's Scott Baio Tech and barely hanging on vs. Florida Atlantic. Now we get #2 Ohio State.

We are so fucking done.

So when do you want to do this?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

When are you available to play, HA?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #21
Anthony
Banned

i can go tonite chief. i'll pop in around 9pm or later. i'll be on before that but note i may have to leave at any given time so it doesn't make sense for us to start and risk having to cut it short.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #22
Anthony
Banned

this is, without a doubt, MSU's biggest game so far. we win - we got ourselves a winning record again. lose, and we'll be playing in some irrelevant Bowl game televised on a public access channel.

Last edited by Anthony : 08-27-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hey Dex,

Was it raining and wet in your game?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

Why don't we aim for 11 or so?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
Anthony
Banned

11pm it is.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignej View Post
So when do you want to do this?
The choices are:

1. Tonight after 9pm ET (can start anytime up until midnight, really)
2. Tomorrow night after 11pm
3. Friday morning before 11am

I actually forgot that I'm going out of town on Friday afternoon, so I'll be unavailable all weekend. I would have mentioned that before, but I literally forgot that it was happening. I hope that doesn't throw a wrench into things. If we can't play tonight, I'm really open anytime at all tomorrow after 11pm. I don't have to get up early on Friday, so if I have to stay up late to play, that's fine.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We just destroyed Oregon State 55-21. Their offense was effective, but they only stopped us from scoring at least 3 on 2 drives the whole game.

Sanchez (aka Fitzpatrick - I still need to rename my guys) was the player of the game with 23 of 32 passing for 312 yards and 4 TD's with 0 INT's.

McKnight had 18 carries for 116 yards and 2 TD's.

Ronald Johnson (aka Fowlkes) was very difficult for them to cover in the slot. He had 8 catches for 87 yards and 3 TD's.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #28
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
The choices are:

1. Tonight after 9pm ET (can start anytime up until midnight, really)
2. Tomorrow night after 11pm
3. Friday morning before 11am

I actually forgot that I'm going out of town on Friday afternoon, so I'll be unavailable all weekend. I would have mentioned that before, but I literally forgot that it was happening. I hope that doesn't throw a wrench into things. If we can't play tonight, I'm really open anytime at all tomorrow after 11pm. I don't have to get up early on Friday, so if I have to stay up late to play, that's fine.

I say tonight somewhere between 9 and 10. I've been moving into a new house and that will give a good stopping point.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #29
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignej View Post
I say tonight somewhere between 9 and 10. I've been moving into a new house and that will give a good stopping point.
Sounds good. I'll try to get on as soon as I can after 9. It may be right at 9, or it may be closer to 9:30, but I'll get there. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
Galaxy
Coordinator

Good luck Pumpy. After the way bignej took apart a talented Eaglesfan27 and his powerhouse USC Trojans two weeks ago, the roster talent difference has to be a little scary.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #31
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Thanks, Galaxy. I need all the luck I can get. I'm going online now. I'll just hang around until my ass-whoopin' arrives.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Welp, EA's servers seem to be down at the moment. I'm going to keep trying.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #33
Galaxy
Coordinator

The EA Servers suck.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

How can you say that? They are up at least 50% of the time!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #35
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
How can you say that? They are up at least 50% of the time!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

bignej got online, Kodos got online, but I can't get online. I can connect to Xbox Live fine, but the game won't let me into the online dynasty. It's driving me up a wall.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #37
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hmmmm.....
Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ohio State 56, Minnesota 7. Yeeeah.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

We welcomed HA's Michigan State Spartans to Bloomington for our first Big Ten showdown of the season.

The first quarter saw a ton of offense. MSU scored on a 3-yard Lou Williams run on their opening drive, which featured a lot of no-huddle.

Trailing 7-0, Kellen Lewis led the offense out onto the field.

Lewis hit WR Ray Fisher on a short pass, and Fisher took it the rest of the way for 69 yards to tie things up 7-7, still in the first. Michigan State answered with another touchdown drive, this one coming via a 44-yard run by junior RB Seth Brown. Looking to answer once again, our offense moved its way into the red zone.

Senior WR Brandon Walker-Roby found some open space in the end zone, and Lewis hit him for a 6-yard touchdown reception. After fifteen minutes, the game was deadlocked at 14-14.

Things cooled down in the second quarter, as MSU settled for a 38-yard field goal on their next possession. Seeing a chance to take the lead for the first time, Lewis and the offense took the field once more. They did not disappoint the fans, as Lewis took it in himself from 12 yards out after a nice drive to put us on top, 21-17 as we headed toward the half.

With a chance to put some space between ourselves and the Spartans, the offense came out fired up for our first possession of the second half. Things looked great as we quickly moved into their half of the field. Then this happened:

Junior RB Bryan Payton took it 37 yards off of the option pitch to give us a 28-17 lead in the early third quarter. MSU cut it back to 28-24 on a 3-yard touchdown pass from senior QB Matthew Jackson to sophomore WR Dennis Moore, but we came right back with another TD run by Payton from one yard out.

We entered the 4th quarter with a 35-24 lead. Once again, a score came off of a big play.

Junior QB Kellen Lewis broke it all the way on an option keeper from 38 yards out to give us a solid 42-24 lead. MSU was not ready to lay down yet, as they came up with a big touchdown run from Lou Williams to draw within 42-31.

The idiot's mom must not have taught him that the object of the game was to win, as ol' "No Clue" Lou was clearly quite pleased with himself as he showboated his way down the field. To help remind dimwit Lou of what the game is played for, Hoosier RB Bryan Payton drove the point home with his third rushing TD of the game, which came from 5-yards out, to make it a three-score game at 49-31. The Spartans tried to get a cosmetic score late, but they failed, and the Hoosiers reclaimed the Old Brass Spitoon in convincing fashion, 49-31.

In all, the game saw almost 1000 yards of offense. Indiana amassed 242 yards on the ground. Payton led the way with 101 yards on 16 carries for 3 TDs. Kellen Lewis added 89 yards and 2 scores of his own on the ground, while completing 10 of 14 attempts for 212 yards, 2 TDs, and one interception. The Hoosiers are now 4-0, but still seeking respect in the polls. With a ton of recruits in town, we got just the kind of game we hoped for.

GO BIG RED!

Last edited by Kodos : 08-28-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #40
bignej
High School JV

This was how Pumpy's first drive ended

EA SPORTS World: NCAA Football 09 Video

Another INT returned for a TD

And the backbreaker

Last edited by bignej : 08-28-2008 at 07:50 AM.
bignej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #41
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
this is, without a doubt, MSU's biggest game so far. we win - we got ourselves a winning record again. lose, and we'll be playing in some irrelevant Bowl game televised on a public access channel.

Enjoy the Tidy Bowl this year! If they'll have you...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Thanks for posting the highlights, bignej. After the game, I was too busy to look at replays. I was in the locker room spanking the hell out of my two quarterbacks with an old El Dorado front bumper. Those bastards.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #43
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm just happy I don't have to play the Buckeyes this year in the regular season. Besides pure talent, they just look like they have speed to burn.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #44
Kodos
Resident Alien

It'd be nice if we could finish up this week today or tomorrow so that guys who will be around this weekend could get in their games if they wanted to. Just a thought.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-28-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #45
Galaxy
Coordinator

Who's left?

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-28-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #46
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don't recall offhand - but there were several guys who had things left to do when I checked last night.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #47
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just checked:

KWhit has to play his game and recruit; SirFozzie has to recruit. Then we're ready to roll ahead.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

One fun note from our game versus MSU. We only punted once. Seven times we scored a TD, once we threw an interception, and once we took a couple of knees to end the game. The fans like offense, and they sure got it today! Of course, we didn't exactly go OSU on their ass and score 100+, but still it was our best day on offense of the 2008 campaign thus far. Against our most hated RFL rival, it sure was sweet.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-28-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #49
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Just checked:

KWhit has to play his game and recruit; SirFozzie has to recruit. Then we're ready to roll ahead.

That's not too bad. Hopefully they can get it in tonight.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #50
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Just checked:

I think I was playing my game when you checked. Either way, I'm all done now.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote