Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another studio learning the hard way that it's a pain in the $#% to port a 360 game to the PS3. LucasArts will be using the PS3 as the primary development console going forward. I'm pretty sure that Sony didn't intend it this way, but the troubles that the developers are having porting from the 360 to the PS3 are in an odd way now benefitting Sony. Developers are throwing their hands up and moving to PS3 development with ports to the 360 to save time and money.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6186606.html

Another PS3 exclusive heading back for a second edition. Motorstorm 2 joins Resistance 2 on the list of Christmas releases. Also mentions another exclusive soon to be announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...nces_back.html

I'm shocked that an EA rep would ask a questions like, "Why should we develop for 'Home' when there's no clear revenue model in place for third party developers?"

I guess it's too much to ask EA to just make a game that is fun and that customers enjoy without constantly being concerned about the added revenue streams.............

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...y-should-care/
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #102
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Another studio learning the hard way that it's a pain in the $#% to port a 360 game to the PS3. LucasArts will be using the PS3 as the primary development console going forward. I'm pretty sure that Sony didn't intend it this way, but the troubles that the developers are having porting from the 360 to the PS3 are in an odd way now benefitting Sony. Developers are throwing their hands up and moving to PS3 development with ports to the 360 to save time and money.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6186606.html

I find it hard to believe that there wasn't some foresight into this. It's a somewhat risky move that seems to be paying off as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I find it hard to believe that there wasn't some foresight into this. It's a somewhat risky move that seems to be paying off as far as I can tell.

Sony has had two situations like that fall in their direction in recent days. The Blu-ray player was initially seen as a burden due to the high console price on release and in the year thereafter. Crazy Ken (original Playstation creator) 'retired' because the company was irritated that initial sales were too slow. Now, it's looking like a good move that will likely boost console sales through the rest of its life cycle.

Similarly, the difficulties that developers were having to port to the PS3 were resulting in delay after delay during the first year where multiple PS3 ports were coming out after the 360 games. As a result, developers are now moving to make the PS3 the primary development console.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #104
wade moore
lolzcat

Can't disagree with any of that. I still don't know whether it will make them overtake MS in the longrun, but certainly I'm not so much in the "Sony is screwed" camp anymore.

Although I think that's at least partially due to mis-steps by MS (namely not pricing Sony completely out of the market about 6-8 months ago).

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #105
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Phil Harrison steps down at Sony. He will be taking a job at Atari...........

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33463
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Can't disagree with any of that. I still don't know whether it will make them overtake MS in the longrun, but certainly I'm not so much in the "Sony is screwed" camp anymore.

Although I think that's at least partially due to mis-steps by MS (namely not pricing Sony completely out of the market about 6-8 months ago).

I'd agree that Microsoft should have dropped the price and nailed Sony to the wall several months ago.

But if the rumors that the RROD issues are becoming a burden and resulting in the supply slowdown over the past two months (the other rumor is that they had a HD-DVD SKU all ready to go and it's now worthless), would MS have been any better off if they would have sold a ton of the old units earlier last year? The lastest report is that Microsoft has lost $1.8 billion because of RROD repairs. If they sold more of the old units, they may have ended up with more defective units as well. Who knows?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #107
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'd agree that Microsoft should have dropped the price and nailed Sony to the wall several months ago.

But if the rumors that the RROD issues are becoming a burden and resulting in the supply slowdown over the past two months (the other rumor is that they had a HD-DVD SKU all ready to go and it's now worthless), would MS have been any better off if they would have sold a ton of the old units earlier last year? The lastest report is that Microsoft has lost $1.8 billion because of RROD repairs. If they sold more of the old units, they may have ended up with more defective units as well. Who knows?
Good point. Is selling defective units better than not selling units? Don't know.

FWIW, my 360 with the new chipset has had no problems - but I'm not much of a power gamer these days and do not leave it on for more than a couple of hours at a time - although I did get a little pissed at my fiance for leaving the thing and having it on for several hours the other day. It does seem to go into some sort of "sleep" mode though, not sure if that is new or not.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
FWIW, my 360 with the new chipset has had no problems - but I'm not much of a power gamer these days and do not leave it on for more than a couple of hours at a time - although I did get a little pissed at my fiance for leaving the thing and having it on for several hours the other day. It does seem to go into some sort of "sleep" mode though, not sure if that is new or not.

I have a friend who is 'afraid' to play his 360 because he already had to have one replaced. It seems relatively stupid to have a console and not play it. If it breaks, it breaks. Yes, it won't break if you don't turn it on, but what the hell is the point? He's not the brightest kid ever.

I'm just the opposite with my PS3. It hasn't been turned off since September 2007. I just leave it folding when I'm not playing games.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #109
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I have a friend who is 'afraid' to play his 360 because he already had to have one replaced. It seems relatively stupid to have a console and not play it. If it breaks, it breaks. Yes, it won't break if you don't turn it on, but what the hell is the point? He's not the brightest kid ever.

I'm just the opposite with my PS3. It hasn't been turned off since September 2007. I just leave it folding when I'm not playing games.
Interesting.

I've never felt that was a good idea with any console in my life. *shurg* if nothing else I'm a cheapskate and would want to keep the power bill down .

Quote:
Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #110
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting.

I've never felt that was a good idea with any console in my life. *shurg* if nothing else I'm a cheapskate and would want to keep the power bill down .

Someone actually did the math on how much it costs to power a PS3 each month if you never turn it off. I think it was around $3.25/month. I have a friend who works at Stanford and I know they're getting a lot of good info from the Folding program, so I figure $3.25 is a small price to pay if it helps someone down the road.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That is the thing. Even if Sony overtakes MS this generation, they still screwed themselves. They were the undisputed king last generation by a huge margin. Now, they have let MS in as a major competitor for the next generation not to mention the Wii. Instead of building upon their huge market share, they squandered it.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-25-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #112
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Someone actually did the math on how much it costs to power a PS3 each month if you never turn it off. I think it was around $3.25/month. I have a friend who works at Stanford and I know they're getting a lot of good info from the Folding program, so I figure $3.25 is a small price to pay if it helps someone down the road.
I don't know wtf the "Folding program" is .

Quote:
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It's a very cool networking program where doctors and various other scientists can use some of the PS3's processing power to help solve various problems.

Edit: People who choose so can also do this with their computer.

2nd edit: It's called Folding, because the focus is to study protein folding and how that contributes to various pathologies.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-25-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #114
wade moore
lolzcat

Gotcha - it's like seti but with an actual useful purpose.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That is the thing. Even if Sony overtakes MS this generation, they still screwed themselves. They were the undisputed king last generation by a huge margin. Now, they have let MS in as a major competitor for the next generation not to mention the Wii. Instead of building upon their huge market share, they squandered it.

Yep, there's little question about that. Several heads have rolled over it at Sony. They may still end up winning this round, but it will be a much smaller advantage.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #116
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Not to get on an environmental kick here, because obviously the Folding program could benefit society in great ways. However, isn't it funny how one can go from, "oh my gosh - we must cut down on fossil fuels and use less energy" and then a moment later leave their PS3 on since September of 2007. B-Ball fan, not calling you out here - because I really doubt you made such a statement, but it's just funny how humanity works.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #117
Kodos
Resident Alien

His PS3 runs on solar power. He's as green as the Hulk.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #118
Icy
Pro Starter

I own a first generation 60gb PS3 and never had any bluetooth or controller issue either.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
His PS3 runs on solar power. He's as green as the Hulk.

You're close. I actually have an extention cord running all the way to Al Gore's mansion.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #120
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PS3-exclusive Valkyria Chronicles announced. It's a JRPG that will be released in Europe and North America during the holiday season.

Trailer of the game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...ylist=featured

New vertical XBLA shooter coming this Wednesday.............

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15797/...his-Wednesday/
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #121
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice news for RPG fans (I've surprised myself by recently trying and finding out I enjoy the genre) who missed out on Persona 3 and didn't want to shell out $60+ for a rare, used game on ebay:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
GameSpot's Best Role-Playing Game of 2007, Persona 3, will be getting an extra 30 hours of content at the end of April. The extended game will be called Persona 3 FES, which, according to the game's director, Katsura Hashino, comes from the word "festival."

The Persona 3 FES disc will contain an "enhanced" version of the original game, plus a 30-hour episode where gamers play as Aigis. Aigis is described as "a humanoid weapon whose personality matrix allows her to use a Persona. She is no longer bound by her programming, but still has strong ties to her companions." The new episode will feature an original story and 17 new music tracks.

The Atlus RPG sees a group of students studying in a Japanese high school during the day, where their actions count towards building up their "personas." At night, they explore the tower Tartarus and use their personas to battle the sinister shadows that lurk within. The new game will continue on past the final battle that ended the original, and it will show "the aftermath of the final battle and the students' struggle to find meaning in their new lives."

The original Persona 3 game will get new personas and cutscenes, extra quests and events, a weapon synthesis system, a hard difficulty mode, and new outfits for the main characters.

Persona 3 FES will be released on the PlayStation 2 in the US on April 22, with a recommended retail price of $29.99 and a rating of M for Mature. It will be a stand-alone game, and it won't require the original Persona 3 to play, although some parts of saved games can be carried over.

Looks like I'll have to dust off the PS2, I've heard nothing but good things about this game.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

These 'shortage' announcements from consoles that have been out for 1 1/2 years are getting less and less believable. Bad news for Europe as 'disc shortages' will push back the Super Smash Bros release until the fall.........

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=183203

Ubisoft announces new Haze release date sometime in May..........

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/854/854877p1.html

Metal Gear Solid 4 finally has a release date (June 12th).......

http://kotaku.com/360906/metal-gear-...a-release-date
Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #123
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Two huge bundle announcements coming from Sony today.

-Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle. Package includes: 80 GB PS3, MGS4 game, and one DualShock 3 controller. Package price: $499.

-God of War Limited edition PSP bundle. Package includes: Deep red God of War PSP, God of War: Chains of Olympus game, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops game, and Superbad UMB. Package price: $199.

Article............

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment America Introduces Metal Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of
The Patriots PS3 Bundle Available in Late Q2 2008 in North America

Company Also Announces Limited-Edition God of War(R) PSP(R) Entertainment Pack
and April Availability of DUALSHOCK(R)3 Wireless Controller for North America

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- At its annual retail and
publisher conference Destination PlayStation, Sony Computer Entertainment
America (SCEA) announced details of upcoming PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) and
PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) (PSP-2000) hardware bundles with two of the
most highly anticipated 2008 titles. The company also announced the April
2008 availability of DUALSHOCK(R)3 wireless controller in North America.

To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear
Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3
bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear
Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499
(MSRP).

SCEA also announced the June 2008 availability of the limited-edition God
of War(R) PSP Entertainment Pack for $199.99 (MSRP). The God of War
Entertainment Pack will include a "Deep Red" PSP with God of War himself,
Kratos, silk-screened on the back of the unit, a copy of the highly
anticipated upcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus game for PSP, the hit
comedy movie from Columbia Pictures, "Superbad(TM)," on UMD(TM) (Universal
Media Disc), and a PLAYSTATION(R)Network voucher to download Syphon Filter(R):
Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION(R)Store. The stand-alone version of God of War:
Chains of Olympus launches on March 4, 2008.

"Working closely with our retail and publishing partners and sharing our
hardware and software roadmaps at Destination PlayStation gives us a great
opportunity to outline some key milestones for the year. In response to
incredible demand, we will be manufacturing more 80GB PS3s for North America
and the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 80GB PS3 bundle is an ideal
way to offer that continued value to our consumers," said Jack Tretton,
president and CEO, SCEA. "With Blu-ray having won the format war, our stellar
software line-up and a broad product portfolio, we will continue to drive the
incredible momentum we've been generating since last fall."

SCEA will introduce the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the first time
in North America in April 2008 for $54.95 (MSRP). DUALSHOCK 3, which
incorporates both rumble and motion sensing SIXAXIS(TM) technologies,
maintains the award-winning design and precise, responsive features of
PlayStation controllers. The added rumble feature, combined with the SIXAXIS
system, enhances the gamer experience with more interactive, intuitive and
immersive game play experience and will work with more than 100 current PS3
titles.

In additional news coming from Destination PlayStation, SCEA announced
Metal Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots will be available in North America
in late Q2 2008. A Metal Gear Online "Starter Pack" will also be launched to
support online game play. Gamers can select a single player experience or take
the action online with up to 16 players and battle it out using the latest
weapons and stealth techniques. For those eager to take on Solid Snake's
nemesis, Liquid Ocelot, a nationwide pre-sell promotion will enable gamers to
pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and be guaranteed access to
a multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear Online scheduled for late April.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

-Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle. Package includes: 80 GB PS3, MGS4 game, and one DualShock 3 controller. Package price: $499.

-God of War Limited edition PSP bundle. Package includes: Deep red God of War PSP, God of War: Chains of Olympus game, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops game, and Superbad UMB. Package price: $199.

Article............

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment America Introduces Metal Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of
The Patriots PS3 Bundle Available in Late Q2 2008 in North America

Company Also Announces Limited-Edition God of War(R) PSP(R) Entertainment Pack
and April Availability of DUALSHOCK(R)3 Wireless Controller for North America

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- At its annual retail and
publisher conference Destination PlayStation, Sony Computer Entertainment
America (SCEA) announced details of upcoming PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) and
PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) (PSP-2000) hardware bundles with two of the
most highly anticipated 2008 titles. The company also announced the April
2008 availability of DUALSHOCK(R)3 wireless controller in North America.

To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear
Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3
bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear
Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499
(MSRP).

SCEA also announced the June 2008 availability of the limited-edition God
of War(R) PSP Entertainment Pack for $199.99 (MSRP). The God of War
Entertainment Pack will include a "Deep Red" PSP with God of War himself,
Kratos, silk-screened on the back of the unit, a copy of the highly
anticipated upcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus game for PSP, the hit
comedy movie from Columbia Pictures, "Superbad(TM)," on UMD(TM) (Universal
Media Disc), and a PLAYSTATION(R)Network voucher to download Syphon Filter(R):
Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION(R)Store. The stand-alone version of God of War:
Chains of Olympus launches on March 4, 2008.

"Working closely with our retail and publishing partners and sharing our
hardware and software roadmaps at Destination PlayStation gives us a great
opportunity to outline some key milestones for the year. In response to
incredible demand, we will be manufacturing more 80GB PS3s for North America
and the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 80GB PS3 bundle is an ideal
way to offer that continued value to our consumers," said Jack Tretton,
president and CEO, SCEA. "With Blu-ray having won the format war, our stellar
software line-up and a broad product portfolio, we will continue to drive the
incredible momentum we've been generating since last fall."

SCEA will introduce the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the first time
in North America in April 2008 for $54.95 (MSRP). DUALSHOCK 3, which
incorporates both rumble and motion sensing SIXAXIS(TM) technologies,
maintains the award-winning design and precise, responsive features of
PlayStation controllers. The added rumble feature, combined with the SIXAXIS
system, enhances the gamer experience with more interactive, intuitive and
immersive game play experience and will work with more than 100 current PS3
titles.

In additional news coming from Destination PlayStation, SCEA announced
Metal Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots will be available in North America
in late Q2 2008. A Metal Gear Online "Starter Pack" will also be launched to
support online game play. Gamers can select a single player experience or take
the action online with up to 16 players and battle it out using the latest
weapons and stealth techniques. For those eager to take on Solid Snake's
nemesis, Liquid Ocelot, a nationwide pre-sell promotion will enable gamers to
pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and be guaranteed access to
a multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear Online scheduled for late April.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #125
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Article............

How are those huge announcements?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #126
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's kinda what I was thinking. Unless you are very excited about a deep red PSP.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's a solid combo pack if you wanted a PSP though. The PS3 one is a bit more meh-tastic.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #128
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Both bundles sound like good deals IMO. Metal Gear Solid 4 replacing Motorstorm is a huge upgrade and the rumble controller is nice as well.

The release date for MGS4 is good to finally know, it should be one of the best games to come out all year.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #129
Daimyo
College Starter

Just make a <$400 console with full PS2 compatibility please.

Last edited by Daimyo : 02-26-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #130
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Depends on your perspective.

Especially on the PS3 one. See, bringing the 80 GB back is the smart thing to do, and bundling it with MGS4 and a DualShock 3 for that price will drive sales, absolutely, but I see two issues.

1) The 80 was outselling the 40 for us when both were on shelves, and I've noticed since the 80 went away that the 40 is a much tougher sell. I had a lady today come in ready to put the money down on a PS3. She asked if she could play her PS2 games on it, and the moment she heard 'nope, this one won't do it,' she completely lost interest, and she's been representative of probably 40% of the prospective buyers I've dealt with. Anecdotal, but still.

Now you announce that it's coming back (yay!) in maybe four months or so (boo!), and what's going to happen? Especially since the new bundle will have DualShock 3, isn't announcing the bundle this early just going to defer potential sales for several months as people "wait it out"?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #131
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Go figure, I go to Wal-mart to buy some Wii accessories and they finally have a console in. Of course, I just bought one online at Toys R Us. We got it today, Wii Sports is a lot of fun but Baseball hurts my shoulder. LOL

Can anyone recommend any good two player games for the Mrs and I? We've got Mario Super Galaxy but that is lame two player.

Last edited by Balldog : 02-26-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #132
MJ4H
Coordinator

I seriously cannot recommend Mario Strikers Charged enough for multiplayer. If you like Smash Bros.-like chaos, this game has that in spades. Lots of fun.

If you are looking for more casual type games, Wii Play is a good head-to-head game but some think it is too simlpistic. I happen to like it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #133
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Thanks MJ4H! We'll check those out, she loves anything with Mario.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #134
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Depends on your perspective.

Especially on the PS3 one. See, bringing the 80 GB back is the smart thing to do, and bundling it with MGS4 and a DualShock 3 for that price will drive sales, absolutely, but I see two issues.

1) The 80 was outselling the 40 for us when both were on shelves, and I've noticed since the 80 went away that the 40 is a much tougher sell. I had a lady today come in ready to put the money down on a PS3. She asked if she could play her PS2 games on it, and the moment she heard 'nope, this one won't do it,' she completely lost interest, and she's been representative of probably 40% of the prospective buyers I've dealt with. Anecdotal, but still.

Now you announce that it's coming back (yay!) in maybe four months or so (boo!), and what's going to happen? Especially since the new bundle will have DualShock 3, isn't announcing the bundle this early just going to defer potential sales for several months as people "wait it out"?

I agree with everything said here. If they start manufacturing the 80 GB machine again and continue to put out the Motorstorm pack until MGS4 comes, that's fine. If they hold off on releasing any form of the 80 GB PS3 until June, it seems a bit odd. I agree that the 40 GB PS3 is not the option for some people, but that just means they're delaying their purchase, not that they're not going to buy a PS3. The Wii is never in stock and the 360 has the same problem as the PS3 in that the unwanted console is the only one available in stock.

Honestly, if they were to put out a 80 GB option right now, the difference in sales during these months would be very minor. This early part of the year just isn't a good sales time. The Show and LBP should provide ample sales over March and April to keep PS3 sales steady until June, when a big boost should occur with the MSG4 franchise being released.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Thanks MJ4H! We'll check those out, she loves anything with Mario.

****cries from third-party developers are heard in a nearby room****
Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #136
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:

No, they didn't screw themselves. They leveraged some of the gaming market to win a much more lucrative market. Thats a GOOD business decision.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
No, they didn't screw themselves. They leveraged some of the gaming market to win a much more lucrative market. Thats a GOOD business decision.

Well, it has the POTENTIAL to be a lucrative market. The coming years will tell us whether it was a good or bad move. I tend to believe that it was the right move for Sony, but I think it's awfully early to state that it was a good or bad move from that perspective.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #138
Kodos
Resident Alien

You damn fool! Everything he says IS DEFINITIVE!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #139
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Well, it has the POTENTIAL to be a lucrative market. The coming years will tell us whether it was a good or bad move. I tend to believe that it was the right move for Sony, but I think it's awfully early to state that it was a good or bad move from that perspective.

Agree.

But their goal was to leverage the video game industry to take the HDM market, and they succesfully did that. The gamble they took with regards to the PS3 worked. We'll see whether or not blu-ray works.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #140
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Honestly, if they were to put out a 80 GB option right now, the difference in sales during these months would be very minor. This early part of the year just isn't a good sales time. The Show and LBP should provide ample sales over March and April to keep PS3 sales steady until June, when a big boost should occur with the MSG4 franchise being released.

LBP doesn't come out until September unfortunately. GTA4 is out in April though and that should help sales.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #141
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
LBP doesn't come out until September unfortunately. GTA4 is out in April though and that should help sales.

Thanks. Forgot that was bumped back.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #142
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good deal for 360 owners. 13 month Live membership for $38.75.......

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...70&dcaid=17070
Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Let the parade of craptacular Rock Band clones begin.........

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/2...058.htm?Page=1
Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #144
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No. Not if they could have won that market without using the PS3 as a Trojan Horse for that technology. Not to mention there is considerable debate among experts that Blu-Ray will be a long term winner. There is already talk of a successor to Blu-Ray being developed as well as alternative delivery methods of media. That would be a bad decision - gamble a sure bet on an unsure technology.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #145
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
No. Not if they could have won that market without using the PS3 as a Trojan Horse for that technology. Not to mention there is considerable debate among experts that Blu-Ray will be a long term winner. There is already talk of a successor to Blu-Ray being developed as well as alternative delivery methods of media. That would be a bad decision - gamble a sure bet on an unsure technology.

I haven't seen any considerable debate as to whether blu-ray will be the long term winner. The only alternative thats been given is digital downloads, and we are nowhere near that from a bandwith perspective.

Yes, digital downloads will replace Blu-Ray, but not in the next 5 years, and probably not in the next 10. Theres too much new cable that needs to be run.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't seen any considerable debate as to whether blu-ray will be the long term winner. The only alternative thats been given is digital downloads, and we are nowhere near that from a bandwith perspective.

Yes, digital downloads will replace Blu-Ray, but not in the next 5 years, and probably not in the next 10. Theres too much new cable that needs to be run.

I'll see if I can find the articles but there are already articles floating around about the "next generation" of media players which could supplant Blu-Ray and HD-DVD being under development and ready to roll out by approximately 2010. That is what I was referring to as far as the long term winner. There is no doubt they have won over HD-DVD.

Edit: There is still the fact that Sony lost a huge portion of their market share in the very large gaming industry and they may have been able to win the Blu-Ray war without the PS3 having Blu-Ray. Their throwing money at the studios to go exlclusive seems to have been a much bigger factor in winning the Blu-Ray war than the PS3. If the PS3 didn't have Blu-Ray integrated, it could have been cheaper, and it may never have given up the market share that it did.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-27-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #147
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'll see if I can find the articles but there are already articles floating around about the "next generation" of media players which could supplant Blu-Ray and HD-DVD being under development and ready to roll out by approximately 2010. That is what I was referring to as far as the long term winner. There is no doubt they have won over HD-DVD.

Right, but lets say they roll out at 2010. Are adopted mainstream by 2013. Thats pretty normal life cycle. I just don't think we'll have the network resources to serve low compression 1080p content in 2010. I don't think we'll even be close.

DVD was rolled out in 1997. It passed VHS in 2002/3. Blu-Ray/HD-DVD dropped in 2005/6.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #148
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Right, but lets say they roll out at 2010. Are adopted mainstream by 2013. Thats pretty normal life cycle. I just don't think we'll have the network resources to serve low compression 1080p content in 2010. I don't think we'll even be close.

DVD was rolled out in 1997. It passed VHS in 2002/3. Blu-Ray/HD-DVD dropped in 2005/6.

Why do we need the network resources to serve low compression 1080p for a next generation *media* player? It doesn't sound like EF27 is talking about streaming media or downloaded media...unless I am mistaken.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #149
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Why do we need the network resources to serve low compression 1080p for a next generation *media* player? It doesn't sound like EF27 is talking about streaming media or downloaded media...unless I am mistaken.

hes talking about 1440p technology (most likely). Which will only be relevant if people start buying 1440p TVs, which won't happen by 2010. I think 2010 is about the time where the vast majority of homes will have 720p/1080p TVs. If they try to drop something that will require people to buy new TVs, it will fail miserably.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #150
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
. Their throwing money at the studios to go exlclusive seems to have been a much bigger factor in winning the Blu-Ray war than the PS3. If the PS3 didn't have Blu-Ray integrated, it could have been cheaper, and it may never have given up the market share that it did.

Right, but theres also the chance that had the PS3 not increased the number of Blu-Ray players so drastically (theres a lot more PS3s out there than HD-DVD players) that the studios wouldn't have taken the deals. Toshiba was also throwing money around ($100m to dreamworks animation, for example)