Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #1151
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
If they lose, they really will look like idiots.

Well, Mecole already has that covered. He apparently thinks he might already be NFL-ready.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #1152
Atocep
Coordinator

Holgorsen will be announced as Houston's coach, most likely Wednesday, unless some crazy shit happens. The buyout drops tomorrow and there's been zero communication between WVU and Holgorsen since the bowl game. He's about as good of a coach as you can land at Houston and his time at WVU has run its course.

The only thing that could change things is if early feedback from top candidates doesn't look good. WVU could then get Dana the extension he wants if it makes sense for both sides. Based on everything right now, though, I can't see him anywhere but Houston next year.

WVU will request interviews with Neal Brown, Dan Enos, Brent Venables, and probably a couple others. Luke Fickell wouldn't be a surprise considering the Ohio State ties and President Gee.

Enos is likely a favor to Saban (His WVU ties along with the fact that the current AD came from Alabama) as it's probably too early for him to land a P5 gig. Neal Brown seems like the odds on favorite early on, but he just doesn't impress me. Given those options think Fickell or Venables would be better choices.

CU, thoughts on Venables as a potential head coach?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #1153
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

1- I dont think Venables would be a great HC. What makes him great as a DC, in my opinion, also holds him back as a HC.
2- I may be wrong, but I highly suspect he declines the interview. I know he declined to interview Tennessee last year, (but it was after the craziness happened to be fair0 and declined to interview with MSST.

There is sentiment around town that he loves his job, loves his life and makes $2MM+ per year as DC while Dabo handles all the mdeia BS that he doesnt really like.
Now we all know coaches say all kinds of stuff...but this was BV just 3 weeks ago when he was linked to the TT opening.

Quote:
“Kirby and I, as everybody knows, were college teammates and fellow linebackers and are very, very good friends. I talk to Kirby a lot and I’ve talked to him recently, but that’s all I’ll say,” Venables said after a long pause to collect his thoughts.
“But I’ve got a great job and I’ve got great loyalty and appreciation for the people who are responsible for me being here (at Clemson). The players, coach (Dabo) Swinney, Dan Radakovich, our administration, our fellow coaches. I would never compromise the integrity of my job for other opportunities ever. Ever. That’s not who I am.”
Venables explained the commitment he made to his son, who now plays at Clemson.
“Just so people understand where I’m at right now, my son, Jake, is here (at Clemson as a freshman linebacker). He’s chasing a dream. I sold that dream to him. My responsibility as a dad is to support him for as long as he wants to chase his dreams. Who am I to be a hypocrite, regardless of what opportunities are out there? That’s how I look at it.”

“I’ve said many times that I’m very thankful and appreciative of what I have and very aware of what I have and I’ve never tried to leverage one situation for another, ever. I would never try to prostitute myself out,” Venables said. “If I’m worthy of something then let the powers at be decide.”

So that's a pretty definitive statement.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-31-2018 at 05:23 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #1154
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
1- I dont think Venables would be a great HC. What makes him great as a DC, in my opinion, also holds him back as a HC.
2- I may be wrong, but I highly suspect he declines the interview. I know he declined to interview Tennessee last year, (but it was after the craziness happened to be fair0 and declined to interview with MSST.

There is sentiment around town that he loves his job, loves his life and makes $2MM+ per year as DC while Dabo handles all the mdeia BS that he doesnt really like.
Now we all know coaches say all kinds of stuff...but this was BV just 3 weeks ago when he was linked to the TT opening.

So that's a pretty definitive statement.

Thanks for the info.

I don't get the impression Venables is a serious candidate. More of a due diligence type interview and he doesn't sound like the type to entertain an interview of that nature.

If i were to place a bet on the hire from the list I gave above I'd take the field. Gee is one of the most connected presidents in the country on the football side of things and Shane Lyons has SEC ties so someone recommended by Gee or someone with SEC ties is more likely than Brown, Venables, ect.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #1155
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Odom gets out coached by Gundy. All the penalties, targeting calls, crappy playcalling and we call a QB run on a 4th and 1 with the game on the line... when OSU has 3 CB's out of the game.

Why wouldn't you let Lock try to win the game with his arm?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #1156
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Regardless of how thev2nd half goes.
I'm comfortable saying UCF belonged in the final 4 before UGA.

now maybe UGA AND UCF belonged in place of notre dame and Oklahoma
Old 01-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #1157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regardless of how thev2nd half goes.
I'm comfortable saying UCF belonged in the final 4 before UGA.

You seem to be awfully impressed by a team that was one play away from being down 31-7 at the half.

edit to add: and by one that's allowed more points in regulation to LSU in barely more than three quarters than all but the murderer's row of Rice, La Tech, and LSU.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-01-2019 at 03:10 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #1158
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

They've scored more points and been more competitive than UGAy was
Old 01-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #1159
Edward64
Head Coach

Does this make LSU the NC in UCF's world?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #1160
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You seem to be awfully impressed by a team that was one play away from being down 31-7 at the half.

edit to add: and by one that's allowed more points in regulation to LSU in barely more than three quarters than all but the murderer's row of Rice, La Tech, and LSU.

It was 24-21 at halftime. So one play was taking away 2 touchdowns from UCF?

Some interesting mental gymnastics you've got there
Old 01-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #1161
Atocep
Coordinator

Looks like Neal Brown to WVU. Both WVU and Troy sides are saying 99% done.

The guy is very highly thought of and had overwhelming praise. The only thing that makes me hesitant on him is he's an offensive guy that's put mediocre offenses on the field at Troy. You usually want to see a guy that's strong on the side of the ball he coaches. That could very well change with better talent and access to better assistants.

Based on what I've heard about Brown it's really not a surprise. A lot of his strengths seem to be Holgorsen's weaknesses that WVU had grown tired of (control over his assistants, leadership, ties to the region).

All in all probably the best hire in a shallow pool of coaching options.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #1162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
It was 24-21 at halftime. So one play was taking away 2 touchdowns from UCF?

Some interesting mental gymnastics you've got there

Forgive me, I forgot about the late touchdown. I should have said "a play away from being 31-7 in the first half"

They were largely dominated for a good portion of the day (555 - 250 total offense) by a 3-loss team that had zero reason to be part of any playoff discussion.

I saw absolutely nothing that changed my perception of their role in a playoff discussion.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #1163
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh great, GA don't choke on me (and yourselves) now.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #1164
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Forgive me, I forgot about the late touchdown. I should have said "a play away from being 31-7 in the first half"

They were largely dominated for a good portion of the day (555 - 250 total offense) by a 3-loss team that had zero reason to be part of any playoff discussion.

I saw absolutely nothing that changed my perception of their role in a playoff discussion.
Oh I'm not saying they belonged. Just that they belonged BEFORE UGA.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #1165
cuervo72
Head Coach

Rest in peace, Tyler Trent.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #1166
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This was the exact opposite half UGA needed if they want anyone to listen to them that they deserved to be in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #1167
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
This was the exact opposite half UGA needed if they want anyone to listen to them that they deserved to be in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Looking forward to half-time adjustment.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:13 PM   #1168
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying they belonged. Just that they belonged BEFORE UGA.

All but two teams didnt belong after the fact. You wanna bring Ohio State back into the mix? Notre Dame and Oklahoma did a fine job of eliminating themselves while Georgia looks just as bad as the two of them right now. Just as easy for you to say Central Florida belonged over Notre Dame with their egg laying against Clemson.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #1169
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

UCF was without their star QB correct? Who knows what he would have done to that depleted DB situation LSU had. Yes one could argue LSU's best CB sat out to head to the NFL draft, but honestly I was impressed with UCF quite a bit.

None of these teams could beat Bama or Clemson though.. so I guess it doesn't matter.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-01-2019 at 10:17 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #1170
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Well, shit. Washington made Ohio State sweat there at the end, and maybe if they hadn't tried to pass three times from near their goal line with one and a half minutes left in the first half, leaving the Buckeyes plenty of time (plus all three timeouts) to make it 21-3 at the half instead of 14-3, that late comeback might have actually won the game.

Proud to see them battle back and a big tip of the cap to great careers from Jake Browning, Myles Gaskin, Greg Gaines and more. The way Petersen has been recruiting the Huskies should be even better in the near future and finally get him his "signature win" at Washington.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #1171
bronconick
College Starter

I hate running goalline offense from the shotgun.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #1172
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I hate running goalline offense from the shotgun.

Yep
Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #1173
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Looks like Neal Brown to WVU. Both WVU and Troy sides are saying 99% done.

The guy is very highly thought of and had overwhelming praise. The only thing that makes me hesitant on him is he's an offensive guy that's put mediocre offenses on the field at Troy. You usually want to see a guy that's strong on the side of the ball he coaches. That could very well change with better talent and access to better assistants.

Based on what I've heard about Brown it's really not a surprise. A lot of his strengths seem to be Holgorsen's weaknesses that WVU had grown tired of (control over his assistants, leadership, ties to the region).

All in all probably the best hire in a shallow pool of coaching options.

The more I read, the better I feel about Brown or Fickell. I think Brown may be less likely to stay if he is successful (sounds like Fickell would rather not go too far from home), but it would be alright by me to have a desirable coach again. I wish Jimbo was still at FSU and not a year into his A&M deal... 😊

The unfortunate thing is that Oklahoma and Texas both seem to be back to running on all cylinders and I think Iowa State will be really good these next few years. It’s a shame we couldn’t capitalize a little better this year because I think the two top dogs will run the conference for the foreseeable future (until Hermann implodes).

I don’t love that what the national narrative is going to be about Holgs being hired away, but from what I can tell, our AD was willing to extend the years with a raise, but not willing to give him any additional guaranteed money if he’s fired. I can’t blame Holgorsen for wanting a better guarantee, but I think, with all the attrition and underachievement this year, he would’ve had a really hot seat next year and fans would be calling for his head with a 6-7 win season (which is probably realistic or best case regardless). If we had won 10 games this year, you could justify the guarantee but 8-4 with a Sr. Heisman caliber QB, NFL receivers, and a veteran defense kind of suggests that this is as good as it gets for awhile. The fact that he did not get a substantial raise and was not considered for other P5 openings the past several years is telling to me.

With all the drama over the past few football and basketball changes, it will be kind of weird to turn around and hire Brown, without a circus involved, in the next day or two.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #1174
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Great win for the Longhorns! Wouldn’t have thought this was possible after the season opening loss to Maryland.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #1175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Great win for the Longhorns! Wouldn’t have thought this was possible after the season opening loss to Maryland.

They studied the LSU film intently, and executed a similar approach.

Well done.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #1176
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Well, shit. Washington made Ohio State sweat there at the end, and maybe if they hadn't tried to pass three times from near their goal line with one and a half minutes left in the first half, leaving the Buckeyes plenty of time (plus all three timeouts) to make it 21-3 at the half instead of 14-3, that late comeback might have actually won the game.

Proud to see them battle back and a big tip of the cap to great careers from Jake Browning, Myles Gaskin, Greg Gaines and more. The way Petersen has been recruiting the Huskies should be even better in the near future and finally get him his "signature win" at Washington.

What a ride that 4th quarter was. The sequence at the end of the first half was painful to watch, and not what you expect from Coach Pete. Glad to see we showed some fight, would have loved for Jake to get a win.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #1177
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Just as easy for you to say Central Florida belonged over Notre Dame with their egg laying against Clemson.

I think that is kinda precisely what I was saying.

Bama is #1. Undisputed.
Clemson is #2. by a decent margin.

Then for 3-10...I dont know.
But UCF has as much of a claim as anyone from my viewpoint.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #1178
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
They've scored more points and been more competitive than UGAy was

Not sure why it was necessary to throw a "y" on UGA. Casual homophobia for the win I guess?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #1179
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Not sure why it was necessary to throw a "y" on UGA. Casual homophobia for the win I guess?

I see you dont Rivals.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #1180
Kodos
Resident Alien

Puck Furdue.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #1181
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

yeah its all meant in fun.
I have a daughter who intends to go to UGA post grad...

And Its always USCjr
Old 01-03-2019, 05:44 AM   #1182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

When somebody -- hell, ANYBODY -- can make me say the words "Damned Good Dawg" and mean it as sincere praise, you know they did something.

Tim Worley unloads a few truckloads of truth on some people who badly needed it.

UGA Football Legend Pens Frustration With Sugar Bowl Performance
Old 01-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #1183
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I see you dont Rivals.

"I CU don't Rivals." Come on. The joke is RIGHT THERE.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #1184
bob
College Starter

Wonder who ND would target if this Brian Kelly / TB Bucs stuff happens.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #1185
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When somebody -- hell, ANYBODY -- can make me say the words "Damned Good Dawg" and mean it as sincere praise, you know they did something.

Tim Worley unloads a few truckloads of truth on some people who badly needed it.

UGA Football Legend Pens Frustration With Sugar Bowl Performance
(For Tim Worley):

*dominant

Last edited by dawgfan : 01-03-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #1186
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Urban Meyer
Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #1187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
(For Tim Worley):

*dominant

There's a "well, look where he went to school" joke to be had here, but I'll let it slide ... this time
Old 01-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #1188
tarcone
Coordinator

Mississippi State players talk trash to Iowa players while visiting a children’s hospital before game is played.

Stay classy MSU.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #1189
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The more I read, the better I feel about Brown or Fickell. I think Brown may be less likely to stay if he is successful (sounds like Fickell would rather not go too far from home), but it would be alright by me to have a desirable coach again. I wish Jimbo was still at FSU and not a year into his A&M deal... 😊

The unfortunate thing is that Oklahoma and Texas both seem to be back to running on all cylinders and I think Iowa State will be really good these next few years. It’s a shame we couldn’t capitalize a little better this year because I think the two top dogs will run the conference for the foreseeable future (until Hermann implodes).

I don’t love that what the national narrative is going to be about Holgs being hired away, but from what I can tell, our AD was willing to extend the years with a raise, but not willing to give him any additional guaranteed money if he’s fired. I can’t blame Holgorsen for wanting a better guarantee, but I think, with all the attrition and underachievement this year, he would’ve had a really hot seat next year and fans would be calling for his head with a 6-7 win season (which is probably realistic or best case regardless). If we had won 10 games this year, you could justify the guarantee but 8-4 with a Sr. Heisman caliber QB, NFL receivers, and a veteran defense kind of suggests that this is as good as it gets for awhile. The fact that he did not get a substantial raise and was not considered for other P5 openings the past several years is telling to me.

With all the drama over the past few football and basketball changes, it will be kind of weird to turn around and hire Brown, without a circus involved, in the next day or two.

Sounds like the 1% chance may be playing out. Brown's agent may have killed his chances which would put Fickell out in front, which is what Gee likely wants.

Prefer Fickell and his staff at Cincy to Brown so it'll be interesting to see who the pick ends up being.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #1190
Atocep
Coordinator

Neal Brown it is. WVU fans are excited. We'll see how it plays out.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #1191
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
He's not leaving, which is good this offseason since the pickings seem real slim. Media would have a field day throwing out Urban Meyer, Jon Gruden, maybe Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh but none of those are serious.

You've got guys who probably won't leave their current situations in Chris Petersen, Dan Mullen, Pat Fitzgerald & Kyle Whittingham. Scott Frost too, but right now he's not hot anyways. A couple guys who haven't proven enough at their first P5 job in Matt Campbell (though he's close), Jeff Brohm, PJ Fleck, Joe Moorhead (I guess you could also include Matt Wells, Scott Satterfield, Chris Kleiman, Neal Brown, Chad Morris in this category after the Manny Diaz precedent ). And 2-3 in Bryan Harsin, Josh Heupel and Mike Norvell who are doing well but still sub P5 and people I don't know much about.

So if Swarbrick stuck to his stated plan of only hiring someone with FBS coaching experience I think the 3 most likely candidates would be Campbell or two guys in Dino Babers and Gary Patterson that feel more like placeholders but would probably be very solid hires.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #1192
tarcone
Coordinator

I'm a big Matt Campbell fan. What he has done at ISU is nothing short of a miracle.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #1193
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Well, Mecole already has that covered. He apparently thinks he might already be NFL-ready.

He gone. It will be interesting to see how he develops. I just don't see him going before the 4th round, but he has so much raw athleticism he could be a special player in a couple of years,
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #1194
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Herd rolls along in Frisco, Texas today. I'm guessing something like 15,000 NDSU fans at the game today against Eastern Washington. Bookmakers have us at -1000, and -16.5 pts. That's as big as I can remember, but this team is probably better than most, with the 2 dozen seniors we have.

I'll be an incredible let down if we lose, but between the experience, the emotion of the coach, who is now at KState, but got permission to coach both teams through the end of the year, the talent, and the fans, bad things will have to happen for the Bison to be denied at 7th National Championship.

ESPN 2, Noon Eastern.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-05-2019 at 10:06 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #1195
PilotMan
Head Coach

10-0 Bison after 1, but the Eagles have moved the ball pretty well and are driving as we head to the 2nd.

Like Steam?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #1196
kingfc22
Head Coach

Rain all day today and tomorrow plus forecasted rain for Monday morning on the Bay Area likely means a sloppy Levi’s Field for the Championship game.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-05-2019 at 12:17 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #1197
PilotMan
Head Coach

We're 17-10 (Bison lead) at halftime with EWU getting the ball to start the second half. EWU was stopped on third and goal, then pulled off a great fake to score on 4th down with 27 seconds left in the half.

I won't say I'm not nervous. The team has looked better and EWU has continued to move the ball well. Typically when this happens though, the team comes out in the 3rd and is able to put it together. Even if EWU manages to tie it to start the 3rd quarter, I hope our boys can pull through.

Like Steam?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #1198
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
So if Swarbrick stuck to his stated plan of only hiring someone with FBS coaching experience I think the 3 most likely candidates would be Campbell or two guys in Dino Babers and Gary Patterson that feel more like placeholders but would probably be very solid hires.
I can't see Patterson leaving TCU. Now that they're in the Big-12 and he's making $4.75M any remaining incentives for him to leave have diminished. If he was going to leave he would have done so by now IMO.

I mean, I'd certainly kick the tires on him and Chris Petersen if I were the Notre Dame AD, but I wouldn't expect more than a polite "No thank you". Kyle Whittingham is probably a slightly more realistic target, but I'd still be surprised at this point if he left.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #1199
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hope no one came back late from halftime in the Bison game
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #1200
PilotMan
Head Coach

Holy shit. More in less than 5 minutes into the 3rd than the entire first half.

Like Steam?