Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #1651
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am pretty sure that he is the first of the "vaunted" QB draft class of 2011 to get a ring.

1. Cam Newton
2. Jake Locker
3. Blaine Gabbert
4. Christian Ponder
5. Andy Daulton
6. Colin Kaepernnick
7. Ryan Mallett
8. Rickey Stanzi
9. T.J. Yates
10. Nathan Enderle
11. Tyrod Taylor
12. Greg McElroy

No other rings, right?

Tyrod Taylor was a backup on a title-winning Ravens team, I'm pretty sure.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #1652
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I really thought that Brady in Tampa would be one of those subpar final years by a Hall Of Famer on a different team that we would all silently agree to forget ever happened.

Now, it is part of whatever his legacy ends up being.

And, hell, as much as I roll my eyes at the "eat nothing but kale" thing, it sure looks like it is working. We might have another 3 years of Brady in Tampa before it is all said and done.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-08-2021 at 08:04 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #1653
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Tyrod Taylor was a backup on a title-winning Ravens team, I'm pretty sure.

You are correct. I missed that one. So Tyrod and Blaine are the greatest of their class because rings.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #1654
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
The KC time out with 45ish seconds left in the first half was a head scratcher. "Wait Andy Reid think they're going to have a chance to score here?''

That is the Andy Reid I love to root against. He come through just so often.

That ed to a score that won us the half-time score in my wife's pool, so I'm all in favor of it.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #1655
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Tom Brady is an alien weirdo. But if an alien weirdo is going to win 7 Super Bowls and 5 Super Bowl MVPs, he might as well be a University of Michigan alien weirdo!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #1656
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Tom Brady is an alien weirdo. But if an alien weirdo is going to win 7 Super Bowls and 5 Super Bowl MVPs, he might as well be a University of Michigan alien weirdo!

It's crazy to think that he has more rings than any other team.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #1657
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post

It's crazy to think that he has more rings than any other team.

In the Super Bowl Era, Tom Brady has played in 10 Super Bowls and the Detroit Lions have participated in 13 playoff games and the Lions had a good 33-34 year or so head start.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #1658
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue
In the Super Bowl Era, Tom Brady has played in 10 Super Bowls and the Detroit Lions have participated in 13 playoff games and the Lions had a good 33-34 year or so head start.

Brady is ... 34-11? ... in the playoffs. Lions are 1-12.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #1659
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Speaking of championships, Robert Horry is trending on Twitter right now b/c Tom Brady finally got as many rings as Horry has.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #1660
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Here's a fascinating article with an international take on American sports media coverage of things like Tyreek Hill's past.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #1661
molson
General Manager

Also kind of Lions related. In between Brady's first and most recent Super Bowl, Calvin Johnson played high school football for 3 years, had a great college career at Georgia Tech, had a great career with the Lions, retired for 5 years, and then was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Last edited by molson : 02-08-2021 at 11:29 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #1662
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #1663
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Here's a fascinating article with an international take on American sports media coverage of things like Tyreek Hill's past.

It is kinda sad that our country uses talent as an excuse to sweep bad actions under the rug. If Hill wasn't such an explosive player, he'd be long gone.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #1664
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kevin Harlan is wonderful

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #1665
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Aside from a brief mention about his son near the end, did they even mention Andy Reid the rest of the game? It was almost like they were told not to mention him. I don't even remember seeing a shot of him.
I think Andy Reid was on screen about 20 times throughout the game.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #1666
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Tom Brady played great and all, but he wasn't on the field on the two dozen plays where Patrick Mahomes was running for his life. Brady was great yesterday, I'm not disputing the greatest ever stuff, but in football that's not quite enough, you need help from your team to step it up. Was Brady the inspirational leader of the Buccaneers to play this well? Sure, we can even credit him for that.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #1667
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
You are correct. I missed that one. So Tyrod and Blaine are the greatest of their class because rings.
Cam Newton might end up getting a bust of his likeness in Canton, Ohio.

Colin Kaepernick could be the best known football player outside the USA, but with no credits to his football skills whatsoever.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #1668
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Also kind of Lions related. In between Brady's first and most recent Super Bowl, Calvin Johnson played high school football for 3 years, had a great college career at Georgia Tech, had a great career with the Lions, retired for 5 years, and then was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame

That is amazing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #1669
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post

Yeah, even lightly room surfing I saw him at least a half dozen times or more.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #1670
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Britt Reid story has me a bit conflicted. On one hand, I appreciate the restraint that the media has shown given the many unknowns even though he admitted being intoxicated. On the other hand, I know that the media's treatment of this story is the exception and not the rule. I don't know if I want to know why this story is being treated differently.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #1671
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On the other hand, I know that the media's treatment of this story is the exception and not the rule.

I'll just say that the "he's pretty low profile" shouldn't be entirely discounted. If not for his dad being famous, this would have been a story that probably lasted no more than a day.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #1672
Kodos
Resident Alien

Anyone else feel like Megatron doesn’t deserve to get into the HOF?
Old 02-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #1673
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #1674
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

It could definitely be debated.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #1675
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You'll have to hang out on that limb without me I'm afraid.

His "most similar" points tell the tale for me
Yr 5: Art Monk, Terrell Owens
Yr 6: Drew Pearson, Larry Fitzgerald
Yr 7: Steve Largent, Andre Johnson, Drew Pearson
Yr 8: Largent/Pearson/Johnson
Yr 9: Largent, James Loften, Johnson, Pearson

All of those mentioned who are eligible are (now) in the HoF
Old 02-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #1676
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post

I kept noticing his mask looked funny. He looked like one of those plague doctors with the beak on their masks.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #1677
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I kept noticing his mask looked funny. He looked like one of those plague doctors with the beak on their masks.

Exactly why I noticed him honestly. I was wondering what sort of construction his mask had to push it off his mouth so far.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #1678
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Reid has a microphone under the mask. His setup right now is actually much better than earlier in the season, when he had a plexiglass shield and a mask. It has always bulged out from his face in an unnatural way, I think due to the microphone.

=======

My argument on Johnson is that he wasn't around long enough to deserve the HOF. If he'd played longer, yeah, he should be in.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-08-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #1679
Kodos
Resident Alien

Also, I don't have anything against Johnson personally. He just wasn't around enough.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #1680
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Two things:

I think in football, we tend to give way more leeway on the longevity thing. Even as a Broncos fan, I question Terrell Davis, for instance. He played in like 75 games, I think?

I think the Lions thing plays into it. He's the second Lions HoFer of the same general era to quit early. His career didn't end due to ineffectiveness or injury - like Barry Sanders, his career ended due to lack of will to go on from years of being a Lion. I believe voters and the general public essentially tack on a few more years at the top of their games because of that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #1681
Ksyrup

Put another way, Calvin Johnson is basically Ken Griffey Jr. if Junior had simply walked away from the game around 2000. If we didn't see the injuries and just imagined him battling Bonds for 70+ HR.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #1682
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I think he belongs.

Kind of the opposite of the Philip Rivers discussion we had on here a couple of weeks ago.

As we discussed, Rivers has really good numbers. But at no point during his career did Rivers have that "He's the best guy at his position" vibe. At no point did he inspire "You're not stopping Rivers" feelings.

Megatron is the opposite of that for me. For most of his career, he was the best guy at his position (or in the discussion). And he certainly had that "you just can't stop him" feelings.

I know this is the era of analytics, but my defense of Megatron is basically just "I was there, and this guy is a Hall of Famer."
Old 02-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #1683
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Reid has a microphone under the mask.

Ohhhhhhh. I didn't even think of that.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #1684
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I know this is the era of analytics, but my defense of Megatron is basically just "I was there, and this guy is a Hall of Famer."

Agreed on my end. It's a shame that the Lions basically ended his and Barry Sanders' careers too soon.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #1685
sabotai
General Manager

It's weird to me that someone would think that 9 years isn't long enough. Especially since he didn't miss a significant amount of games due to injury over those 9 seasons.

Calvin Johnson started 130 games. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find HOFers who played for 12 seasons who started in fewer games due to injury and/or for being a backup for years 1-2.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #1686
sabotai
General Manager

Here's Calvin Johnson's PFR page. Rookie season, 48 catches, then for 8 years he produced at a high level

Calvin Johnson Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

For comparison, here's Michael Irvin's. Years 1-3 not great, shortened 12th year due to injury, and 8 seasons producing at a high level in between.

Michael Irvin Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Both of these receivers made their case in those 8 seasons. So does Johnson get punished for not having 3 years of so-so stats to start his career?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #1687
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's partially just me relying on my memory, rather than going to check out his stats. I thought he'd retired earlier than 9 seasons in. My bad. Still kinda short, but probably "good enough".

Last edited by Kodos : 02-08-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #1688
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Here's Calvin Johnson's PFR page. Rookie season, 48 catches, then for 8 years he produced at a high level

Calvin Johnson Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

For comparison, here's Michael Irvin's. Years 1-3 not great, shortened 12th year due to injury, and 8 seasons producing at a high level in between.

Michael Irvin Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Both of these receivers made their case in those 8 seasons. So does Johnson get punished for not having 3 years of so-so stats to start his career?

Irvin did win 3 rings which is a slight difference

I don’t think you need to make these types of comparisons - Megatron was the dominant receiver for a good number of years, and deserves a HOF nomination on his own merit
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #1689
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Agreed on my end. It's a shame that the Lions basically ended his and Barry Sanders' careers too soon.

Agreed. And definitely agree. The three best players the Lions have had the 30 years or so have either retired early rather than continue to play for the franchise - Barry and Calvin - or demanded a trade (Stafford).

That they traded Stafford to his preferred destination - the Rams - is actually being viewed locally as the Lions organization starting to finally get things right in terms of how it treats players. I think they will, also, finally mend things with Calvin Johnson.

This organization has been a shit show for so long. You don't win a single playoff game in 63 years without being terrible through and through. Hopefully. Sheila Ford-Hamp, Brad Holmes, Speilman, the rest of the management crew, and Coach Knee-Biter and his staff will finally start to turn this thing around.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #1690
miked
College Starter

I had no idea he was from Tyrone, GA...that's where my wife's cousin is from. Just outside Peachtree City, seems fairly random but I'm guessing that area has some talent.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #1691
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

So if Wentz goes to the Bears, and Foles comes back to Philly, it would blow my mind.

I think it has fallen apart so fast for the Eagles. I'll be stunned if they recover.

They really should've fired the GM.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #1692
Swaggs
Coordinator

I always sort of thought Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson were similar, first ballot guys. I still think that, but looking over their stats and comparing them to their contemporaries (thinking about guys as wide ranging as Moss, Antonio Brown, Torry Holt, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, and Andre Johnson), maybe it’s just sort of a golden era for receivers and receiver productivity.

I think Fitzgerald and Johnson have the size and look of freak athletes and have Hall of Fame numbers, but may also have benefitted, statistically, from playing on teams that had to come from behind and throw more often.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #1693
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's a golden era for passing in general, and I think the caliber of the WRs in the league reflect that. There are a ton of great WRs around, and we're starting to see rookie WRs perform at a high level as well. Historically that has very rarely been the case.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:34 PM   #1694
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I had no idea he was from Tyrone, GA...that's where my wife's cousin is from. Just outside Peachtree City, seems fairly random but I'm guessing that area has some talent.

Yeah, played at Sandy Creek. Ironically perhaps, the team fared better after he graduated (and after coaching legend Rodney Walker departed, turning the team over to his son Chip). The Patriots never made it out of the first round with Calvin, finally winning a playoff game the year after he graduated.

It was the next to last stop on the well-traveled (10 HC jobs in 42 seasons) elder Walker's career. His son would stay at Sandy Creek for 12 years, winning three state titles before taking on the task of rebuilding the program at Newnan (a process now heading into year five
Old 02-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #1695
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'll just say that the "he's pretty low profile" shouldn't be entirely discounted. If not for his dad being famous, this would have been a story that probably lasted no more than a day.

I would buy that if it was not Super Bowl week. To be fair, in a normal year, the Chiefs would have already been in Tampa, he probably would not have been driving on Thursday etc. However, anything and everything is a big deal if it involves the teams on Super Week. Yes, he is the head coach's son and that is a factor. He is also the outside linebackers coach of one of the teams in the Super Bowl. It probably shouldn't have been the story of the weekend. But I believe it would have been a story for the weekend.

Like I said, I commend the media for not making it a big deal given the sensitive nature of the incident. It proves that the collective media can show a level of restraint when it wants to. In 2021, it stands out.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #1696
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Marty Schottenheimer in hospice.

RIP

NFL coaching legend Marty Schottenheimer dies at 77
Old 02-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #1697
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

I went to high school at McIntosh in PTC. Back then, Tyrone was a pass-through on the way to the mall and considered a less than favorable place to live. Fast forward like 10 or 15 years, and I find out it's built up and they put a new high school there that has become a sports factory.

The only people of note who came out of McIntosh that I know of were Jeff Sheppard (UK basketball and at one time, my brother's best friend) and Brian Harris, who I graduated with and was a starting pitcher at FSU. Our football team was absolutely wretched. And then Sandy Creek came along right down the road a few years later...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-09-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #1698
miami_fan
Coordinator

Super Bowl on CBS draws audience of 96.4 million viewers
Old 02-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #1699
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Seems odd to me that Super Bowl ratings would be lower during the pandemic. What else did people have to do and what else was on? Was it more viewers on the internet/streaming?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #1700
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sports in general have been having ratings issues. And it's generally across the board. One suggestion is that live crowds (and full ones) really added something to the experience of even watching it at home.

Though, of course, it's Brady, again, vs a team that just won last year. I think the last 3 Brady SBs have dropped in ratings.

And the blowout likely didn't help matters (I turned it off after the Halftime Show). If it was close late, others may have jumped in to watch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-09-2021 at 10:25 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote