Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Atari Olympics - anyone else do this as a kid?

The chess tournament thread reminded of when we used to have little multi-game "Olympic" competitions to see who could win the most titles across different games. We'd do Combat, Asteroids, Football, etc., assigning different points for the gold, silver, and bronze finishes in each game, and then tally points to determine an overall winner. Great fun.

FOFC could do something similar with Chess, Scrabble, Stratego (is that available online?), etc. It'd be pretty cool.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-03-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
DataKing
Pro Rookie

When I was a kid our neighbors had an Atari 5200 (which was a big deal at the time), and they had a number of kids living there at any given time (foster-children as well as conventional). On top of the television sat a notebook that kept the top-10 all-time scores for each of the games they had. At first it was easy to get into the book, but it became a bigger and bigger deal as time went on. Good times.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Riveton car races down our driveway were fun too. As were the golf ball races to the bottom of the pool. Titleists were always a good option. I can't remember the brand name for the fastest-sinking balls anymore. Was "Tourney" a brand?

Last edited by Kodos : 08-03-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My brother and I used to play best-of-7 series' for the Stanley Cup in NHL (starting with '92). We would write up a recap of every series in a notebook, and keep stats for every player. We played hundreds of these series over the years from '92 to somewhere in around '98. I think at some point we transcribed the notebook onto our old Apple Mac Classic but I have no idea what ever became of the stuff after that (my brother might still have the notebook (or books, not sure if we needed more than one). Would be super fun to re-read some of that stuff.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Do you guys remember those little plastic football helmets you could get out of gumball machines? I managed to get all of the out of the machine when I was in elementary school. I used to have tournaments with them. I would roll them like dice and which ever one landed upright got a point. First team to 3 points won.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep, I remember those. Had quite a few myself, although I never had tourneys with them.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I remember winning $5 in a Nintendo Kung Fu tournament. That's about it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - Manufactured competitions (reflections on a youth without computers) - Front Office Football Central
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I kept my own pretty detailed records on Front Page Sports. Had an Excel spreadsheet I'd keep up to date and print out to a binder on occasion. Highlights being when I could go in and update a record of some sort. That and reading the instruction book cover to cover several times is the earliest geeky sports sim behavior I can remember.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The chess tournament thread reminded of when we used to have little multi-game "Olympic" competitions to see who could win the most titles across different games. We'd do Combat, Asteroids, Football, etc., assigning different points for the gold, silver, and bronze finishes in each game, and then tally points to determine an overall winner. Great fun.

FOFC could do something similar with Chess, Scrabble, Stratego (is that available online?), etc. It'd be pretty cool.

I'd be all over stratego.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

First stats geek moment I can remember:

In the mid 80's, our grandparents bought us our first PC-- a Tandy, with 2, count 'em 2, 5.25" floppy drives, complete with dot matrix printer!! I would have been around 10-11 at this point.

I found this game at Electronics Boutique (remember that place) that had 4 sports games. 1 was a golf game, blanking on the other 2, and the last a "strategic football" game.

The game allowed you to choose from 9 selections on offense.
1) Plunge 2) Off Tackle 3) Sweep
4) Short Pass 5) Medium Pass 6) Long Pass
7) FG 8) Punt 9) Kneel down

On defense, pretty much the same, you choosing the defense to defend the same plays above.

The options were to play vs. the computer, vs. a friend, or computer vs. computer.

Next to the PC was a notebook of fictional teams I created (FOF premonition?) and I would run games computer vs computer matching up these fictional teams. I used cities that didn't have NFL teams, so I remember having a team in Hawaii, and also Hershey PA having a team.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote