Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

The "Hail Manning"

"Steve Sabol of venerable NFL Films has called the grab, preceded of course by Manning's wondrous escape from a collapsed pocket, "the greatest play the Super Bowl has ever produced," and there's no sense in even debating the point."

So, considering the setting (The Superbowl) and the opponent (18-0 Patriots) and the time left in the game (1 minute), is this the greatest catch in NFL history? Is it the greatest single play?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

As a Denver fan, I love the helicopter play.

But as a football fan? You'd be hard pressed to come up with a bigger play. It had everything you could ever look for. A great escape, a remarkable catch, it was the key play in a drive that beat an undefeated team, it happened in the final minute of the game. . . I mean, I don't know what more you can ask for.

It wasn't pretty like the Warner to Bruce bomb to win the Super Bowl, but I have to agree with Steve, I don't think it's even worth debating. It's the greatest single play in Super Bowl history for me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

I think it is the greatest single play in NFL history yes. I don't think its really even close, because of the fact that it was in the final 2 minutes of a Super Bowl. The moment in which it occurred elevates it to levels that i don't think anything else can reach. And at the same time, listen to the call:

Is this the worst call of a great play in the history of all sports by Joe Buck? The asshat is practically giving it to us in monotone. Just imagine the Gus Johnson treatment of a play like this.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would put it second behind a great 3 yard run Brandon Jacobs had in the second quarter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gives me chills to watch it, the single greatest day of my life as a sports fan.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Eh. That was only 3rd down.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No sense in debating it? Really?

Holmes in the corner of the Endzone to win the game, or Harrison engineering a 10 point swing with a pick 6 on the goalline were at least on par.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I don't know, that Warner to Bruce bomb was big too. I mean the Rams were grounded in the second half, Titans had tied the game up, and then BOOM!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
Anthony
Banned

I think it was the greatest play in SB history, but as a Giants fan I'm biased. I think someone would hesitate to name anything "the greatest" these days cuz deep down no sports fan wants to believe it. We hold the previous greatest plays in such high esteem that we'd never allow ourselves to admit that in our modern times we witnessed something even better. Its as if all the iconic greatest plays are written in stone and if we say a play from 2008 is the best it'd cheapen Montana's endzone touchdown or Elway's helicopter dive into the endzone or the Immaculate Reception.

Manning's play to me is the greatest play in SuperBowl history or just plain ole football I ever saw.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Even as greatest play in plain old football, I'd give it to Steve Young's scramble against the Vikings, or Roger Craig's run against the Rams where he broke 7 or 8 tackles.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

I'd have to say "greatest" even though it wasn't necessarily #1 in any individual category (most important, most impressive, etc). But it has the best combination of factors.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No sense in debating it? Really?

Holmes in the corner of the Endzone to win the game, or Harrison engineering a 10 point swing with a pick 6 on the goalline were at least on par.

I realize I am a total Giants homer but I really disagree with this. Those two plays are run of the mill plays made every week in the NFL, they just happened to be made at crucial times in the big game.

The Manning play would be an incredible play at any given time of the season, factor in all the other intangibles and IMO the two plays you mention don't even compare. The Holmes catch is more comparable to the game winning catch Plax made 45 seconds later.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What?

Lathum, i dunno what the fuck you're watching.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In the context of an NFL play what was so special about the Holmes catch?

The Harrison play was a big play and a great play, but not anything never seen before.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Here is the Holmes catch. Granted it was the gamewinner and he did a great job getting his feet down, but there was nothing special about the throw or the catch, similar plays are made every week in the NFL.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Cris Carter made that catch seemingly every week of the NFL season (except the SB, of course).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, it is the single greatest play in pro football history.

Any arguments to the contrary are likely by deluded Steeler fans.

Oh hi stevew!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

hai.

I wish Brandon Jacobs would do something exceptional so i could bask in the aura of his penis.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not a Giants fan, but I agree that it is the single greatest play in Super Bowl history.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
Logan
Head Coach

Probably will hold the #1 spot until an actual Hail Mary wins a SB at the last second. Or something similarly outlandish...like someone blocking a last second chip shot FG, when up by 1 or 2 points.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to go ahead and disagree, because I don't believe it happened.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sarah Connor: It's like a giant strobe light, burning right through my eyes, but somehow I can still see. Look, you know the dream's the same every night, why do I have to...(the doctor encourages her to continue) The children look like burnt paper, black, not moving. And then, the blast wave hits them and they fly apart like leaves...It's not a dream, you moron, it's real. I know the date it happens...on August 29th, 1997, (exploding with panicked hysterical rage) it's gonna feel pretty FUCKING REAL to you, too! Anybody not wearing two million sunblock is gonna have a real bad day, get it?!...You think you're safe and alive. You're already dead. Everybody, him, you, you're dead already. This whole place. Everything you see is gone. You're the one livin' in a FUCKING dream, Silverman! Because I know it happens. IT HAPPENS! (the video is paused on her angry hysterics)
Old 08-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Pffft...wasn't as pretty as this one...he wasn't seemingly trapped in the endzone with Bruce Smith hunting him down nor did the play result in a TD. Lame.

I kid, of course, and as much as I despise Eli the play was huge but I think Tyree should get just about all of the credit as Eli threw up a prayer that is likely an interception 50% of the time, an incompletion 49% of the time, or hauled in by Tyree 1% of the time.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 08-04-2010 at 02:53 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Tyree's last catch, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I kid, of course, and as much as I despise Eli the play was huge but I think Tyree should get just about all of the credit as Eli threw up a prayer that is likely an interception 50% of the time, an incompletion 49% of the time, or hauled in by Tyree 1% of the time.

I give Eli virtually zero credit for the pass but a ton of credit for getting out of the sack.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #26
McSweeny
College Starter

I should not have opened this thread
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
Blackadar
Retired

The Immaculate Reception is the no-brainer, hands-down greatest play in NFL history. Not only was it an unbelievable, unplanned, amazing play to win a playoff game at the last second; it also helped start a dynasty, ended 40 years of futility for a franchise, kicked off a HoF career for two participants and to this day is debated as whether or not it was even a legal play.

I'd give the Tyree catch the greatest play in SB history. It's certainly an amazing play, but it didn't go for a TD nor was it even 4th down.

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-04-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #28
JediKooter
Coordinator

I have to say, given the parameters:

1. Patriots 16-0 (regular season)
2. Clock winding down
3. QB under extreme pressure
4. A desperation pass
5. A hell of a lucky catch
6. A close game for a Super Bowl (as opposed to them usually being blow outs)

I'd be hard pressed to find a better butt clinching play in a Super Bowl.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
The Immaculate Reception is the no-brainer, hands-down greatest play in NFL history. Not only was it an unbelievable, unplanned, amazing play to win a playoff game at the last second; it also helped start a dynasty, ended 40 years of futility for a franchise, kicked off a HoF career for two participants and to this day is debated as whether or not it was even a legal play.

You do have to give it points for the name, too.

You'd think with 500 billion media outlets they'd be better these days at coming up with nicknames for players and famous plays. Maybe the good ones are all used up.

Last edited by molson : 08-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #30
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Not a Giants fan, but I agree that it is the single greatest play in Super Bowl history.

Yup yup.

Coincidentally, I thought the greatest Super Bowl play prior to that was also by a Giant. Mark Ingram against the Bills. If you lived through that and actually saw the game, it was right up there with Tyee's catch.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm not a fan of anyone in particular, but I'd say it's the greatest. Probably the greatest single sporting moment I've watched live (...on tv). I'm just happy that after seeing so many highlights of great plays from the history of the NFL, I was able to watch that play the moment it happened.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #33
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Yup yup.

Coincidentally, I thought the greatest Super Bowl play prior to that was also by a Giant. Mark Ingram against the Bills. If you lived through that and actually saw the game, it was right up there with Tyee's catch.

That was a great one in my memories too.

It seems to me that any play which has a Superbowl win on the line is at one level, bigger than most any other play in football. Given that this was not only a Superbowl win on the line but defeating a 17-0 team attempting to make history, that has to elevate it to a level beyond a "normal" Superbowl win.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #34
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
That was a great one in my memories too.

It seems to me that any play which has a Superbowl win on the line is at one level, bigger than most any other play in football. Given that this was not only a Superbowl win on the line but defeating a 17-0 team attempting to make history, that has to elevate it to a level beyond a "normal" Superbowl win.

Yah. I think that it also represents the greatest underdog moment as well as one of the greatest superbowl moments is what puts it at the top.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #35
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The play that starts around the 1:55 mark, much better...

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #36
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This one is better if you are talking Super Bowl. An underrated play by the defender. Add that it was the last play in the game with the game in the balance and it is a much better play, just not as "flashy".

Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #37
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This definitely beats it if you are talking football history...

Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #38
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The 14 second scramble was good too...

Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #39
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm not a fan of anyone in particular, but I'd say it's the greatest. Probably the greatest single sporting moment I've watched live (...on tv). I'm just happy that after seeing so many highlights of great plays from the history of the NFL, I was able to watch that play the moment it happened.

Probably the greatest single sporting moment I've ever watched live on tv was Kirk Gibson's home run. That had everything this play had ( 2 outs, bottom of the ninth, team down, 3-2 count, world series ) and it was done by a badly injured player.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Here's another good one, if talking all-time. and not just Super Bowl....

Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sun Tzu: I say this with the greatest respect.

Fuck off and die.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #42
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

My sentimental fave would probably be the Elway helicopter play. It was the context of that guys entire career riding on that game in many ways... and the realization he would have literally run through a brick wall if it would have won him a title.

That Giants catch is probably a bigger play in singular game context and surrounding season context.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #43
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Probably the greatest single sporting moment I've ever watched live on tv was Kirk Gibson's home run. That had everything this play had ( 2 outs, bottom of the ninth, team down, 3-2 count, world series ) and it was done by a badly injured player.

Yeah, but baseball sucks.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #44
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I guess the greatness of this particular play never struck me. I guess I so wanted the patriots to have the perfect season. Prior to this thread I'd have answered the pass from Montana to Taylor or the Mike Jones' tackle on the one. The steeler's touchdown reception getting an honorable mention.

One thing is for certain. The name doesn't work because let's face it when I hear the name Manning, I think of Peyton and Archie before I think of...What's the other Manning's name anyway?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #45
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Pick a great play from my favorite team

/thread
Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #46
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
In the context of an NFL play what was so special about the Holmes catch?

The Harrison play was a big play and a great play, but not anything never seen before.

You mean besides the fact that both were fucked up non-calls by the officials?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #47
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Fuck off and die.

+ infinity
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #48
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
This one is better if you are talking Super Bowl. An underrated play by the defender. Add that it was the last play in the game with the game in the balance and it is a much better play, just not as "flashy".

Not really a better play when you consider all it might have done is tie the game and send it into OT.

It might have setup the greatest play in SB history if the Titans had scored and chosen to go for two in order to win. Everything would have ridden on that one play, just like Nebraska-Miami.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #49
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

actually...

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 08-05-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #50
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Fuck off and die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
+ infinity