Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #901
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Doesn't Perry have a few views very unpopular with the Republican base?

It was a funny slip-up, but I think the better-polished, faker candidates are more likely to have memorized everything properly. Obama and Romney aren't making mistakes like that, because they're the most manufactured, image-conscious, candidate robots one could possibly design. That doesn't make them sincere, it sure as hell doesn't make them effective as presidents.

Presentation is THE most important thing for a U.S. presidential candidate. Sure, a botch like that could reflect a declining mental capacity I guess, or a problem with pressure, but otherwise, I'd be a lot more concerned with somebody's background (or lack of a background) then whether he botches something at a debate.

Maybe if they question him on something like his view on some small part of some law. He was talking about eliminating entire federal departments. Don't get me wrong I am all for eliminating the department of education (I am a teacher and see firsthand how worthless it is) but it just sounds contrived to all of a sudden have three departments you want to eliminate and you can't even come up with one of them.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #902
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Add waterboarding to the list of things cheered for at GOP debates.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #903
mckerney
Coordinator

>

Last edited by mckerney : 11-15-2011 at 12:57 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #904
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't believe in American intervention. I just don't believe we need to be pals with countries who don't respect even the most basic of human rights.

Guess that means we end trading with China and Russia and Mexico and India and Vietnam and Indonesia and Thailand and....
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #905
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

These Republican nominee debates are like one of those bottle games at the fair. No matter how hard you hit the damn things, they never all go away and no one ever wins shit. Then some asshole stacks em back up for the next guy.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #906
Kodos
Resident Alien

Why can't we get someone like Colin Powell to run?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #907
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

He probably has too much integrity.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 11-15-2011 at 10:52 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #908
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's probably it, really.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #909
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the liberals already have their candidate, but I suppose he's welcome to launch a primary challenge if he wanted to.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #910
Kodos
Resident Alien

I had a feeling he wouldn't be high on your list. But surely he is better than Obama in your book?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #911
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But surely he is better than Obama in your book?

{scratches head} "Better" is a pretty low standard. Powell endorsed Obama, how much more disqualification does anyone need?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #912
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
>

The point of that? He was trying to answer a complicated problem that is very nuanced and couldn't find a glib soundbite to satisfy you?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #913
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The point of that? He was trying to answer a complicated problem that is very nuanced and couldn't find a glib soundbite to satisfy you?

My response would have been, "I agree with how Obama handled it...it wasn't our fight and I believe the distance was welcomed and warranted. The bottom line is that all American's should support any nation of people who choose to uproot non-democratic, oppressive, antiquated dictatorships. I admit I was very skeptical at first, because the indirect approach of no-fly zones after an uprising was what got us into the long mess in Iraq...I am very thankful that our armed services, intelligence agencies, and NATO allies were able to work together to support the people of Libya in a relatively quick manner and I hope we continue to support the people throughout the middle east--particularly in Syria right now--as they begin their fight to remove their oppresors from power and take responsibility for their respective nations."

I mean, maybe not exactly like that, but close enough. I'm going to guess that foreign policy isn't his strength...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #914
RainMaker
General Manager

What is his strength?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #915
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'd like my presidential candidate to actually know which country is which, that something pretty fucking major happened there recently and to have an opinion on it.

I might have a lower opinion of Cain than I do of Palin, and that's saying something.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #916
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
What is his strength?

Beats the fuck out of me, I know he's not Robin Hood, so there's that.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #917
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'd like my presidential candidate to actually know which country is which, that something pretty fucking major happened there recently and to have an opinion on it.

You've never voted before?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #918
mckerney
Coordinator

Cain Says 'We Need a Leader, Not a Reader' - NYTimes.com

First Pokemon, now The Simpsons.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #919
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What the hell is Bachmann on:

Quote:
“One man stood up, he was over 7-feet tall. He was a physician in the community. And he said, ‘I had a little lady in my office and because of Obamacare, I had to call the IRS and I had to get a number to put on a form before I could see her.’”
Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #921
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Cain looking like he's done with, "reassessing his campaign".
Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #922
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Cain looking like he's done with, "reassessing his campaign".

I'm sure that we've only see the tip of the iceberg. He should get out before he loses the last 1% of his dignity at this point.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #923
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Gingrich should hope Cain stays in the race to deflect from his own past.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #924
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Today's polls have Gingrich up big in Iowa ans South Carolina and only four back in New Hampshire. Shocking that he might be the nominee.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #925
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Today's polls have Gingrich up big in Iowa ans South Carolina and only four back in New Hampshire. Shocking that he might be the nominee.

I am shocked as well. Still think Romney will pull it out because of the size of his machine. Niether are going to be very exciting main candidates for the GOP.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #926
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cain, IMO, was always in this to increase his speaking/book fees and/or get a gig on Fox. It was never about becoming President; it was about free advertising for the Herman Cain brand.

If I am right about that, now is the time for him to get out. Blame it on harassment from the liberal media and start planning a lucrative career as pundit-in-chief.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-29-2011 at 12:51 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #927
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Very bad news for Romney. If Gingrich dominates Iowa and SC and comes close in NH, then the other anti-Romney candidates will be finished. Romney won't have a chance in a head to head race against Gingrich, because all those Cain, Perry, Bachmann etc. supporters will flock to Gingrich. A significant portion of the GOP does not want him as the nominee and his best hope is for their to be a crowded field of anti-Romneys to divide the votes.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #928
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Very bad news for Romney. If Gingrich dominates Iowa and SC and comes close in NH, then the other anti-Romney candidates will be finished. Romney won't have a chance in a head to head race against Gingrich, because all those Cain, Perry, Bachmann etc. supporters will flock to Gingrich. A significant portion of the GOP does not want him as the nominee and his best hope is for their to be a crowded field of anti-Romneys to divide the votes.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #929
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Things don't look good for Romney.
Quote:
There are 13 places PPP has polled the Republican race in October or November where it also did a poll sometime between January and March. In those places Romney's net favorability has dropped by an average of 15 points over the course of the year.

On average Romney's favorability with primary voters was 54/25 in these 13 places at the begininng of the year. Now it's only 50/35. His problem is partially that his positives have gone down but more than that it's that as his name recognition has increased, most folks moving off the fence have gone into the negative column.

I also saw an analysis that used net favorability numbers to determine where Cain voters would go. They would go to Gingrich by 3 to 1 over Romney. If the other notRomneys drop out or fade to irrelevance before NH I think Romney's toast.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #930
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Niether are going to be very exciting main candidates for the GOP.

You can say that again.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #931
flounder
High School Varsity

Startled Deer Becomes New Republican Frontrunner

Quote:
Meanwhile, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich predicted that his recent rise in the polls is not a fluke: “The American people want an adult, and no one has a stronger record of adultery than I do.”
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #932
Dutch
"Dutch"

meh, when it's all said and done, Romney takes the GOP nomination with ease if the only other guy left is Newt Gringrich.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #933
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
That answer was to a yes or no question.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #934
kcchief19
Pro Starter

One thing I'm not worried about is Newt Gingrich as the GOP nominee much less president. While I don't like his politics, I actually do respect his willingness to admit he's wrong and not try to hide from his record too much. But what I call modifying your position based on new information everyone else calls flip-flopping. Newt is a scandal tie bomb waiting to go off.

I just don't know who the nominee is once everyone gets torpedoed. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if by the end of December Huntsman was riding high at the top of the herd.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #935
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
One thing I'm not worried about is Newt Gingrich as the GOP nominee much less president. While I don't like his politics, I actually do respect his willingness to admit he's wrong and not try to hide from his record too much. But what I call modifying your position based on new information everyone else calls flip-flopping. Newt is a scandal tie bomb waiting to go off.

I just don't know who the nominee is once everyone gets torpedoed. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if by the end of December Huntsman was riding high at the top of the herd.

Yeah he apperently took a big payment from Fannie and Freddie Mac. While I am not sure it is the big deal it will be made out to be if he makes the general election it is pretty tough to be anti big-government and anti "business as usual in Washington" with this happening within the last 5 years. It's got to be Romney and that may lead to Obama's re-election which might not be the worst thing to happen if the Republicans still control big parts of Congress. Gridlock: About the best a Ron Paul supporter can hope for in this next election. Romney as president: immediate disaster as we go to war with Iran within the year. At least Obama (and Republicans who don't like war when Obama is president) will hold off the military industrial complex a little bit.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #936
RainMaker
General Manager

Gingrich is just a boilerplate politician. And I'm sort of surprised he's winning in the polls since he's essentially everything that people supposedly hate about politicians. This is a guy who was going on TV before the 2008 election demanding Obama give back donations from Freddie Mac now that the government had to bail them out when he himself had received millions from them for consulting.

I just don't get it, he's basically what everyone has been hating on over the past decade.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #937
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Exactly ... take your pick on Newt. He's got the huge lobbying business that made big money off Fannie and Freddie. He's changed positions on just about everything at one time or another -- just wait until that video of him sitting next to Nancy Pelosi talking about the reality of climate change ends up in an attack ad.

And if there was anybody screwing more people who weren't his wife in DC in the '90s than Bill, it was Newt.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM   #938
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Newt is the latest Not Mitt Romney, that's all.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #939
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The elephant in the room is his religion.

Quote:
More than four in 10 American voters say they are uncomfortable with the idea of a Mormon in the White House, a reflection of the steep challenge facing Mitt Romney in the GOP primary.

According to a survey released Tuesday (Nov. 8) by the Public Religion Research Institute, Romney faces an identity problem among those who already know he's a Mormon, and those who don't but generally have qualms about the faith...

Among white evangelical voters, 47 percent expressed discomfort with a Mormon president, compared to 42 percent of Catholics and 30 percent of white mainline Protestants. Among Americans overall, the figure was 42 percent.

How many people simply won't vote for Mitt due to his religion? Many of those folks may not love Gingrich, but he's now the best alternative.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #940
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't know if others feel this way, but it seems to me that the past two presidential losers (Kerry and McCain) were the safe, "gives us the best chance in the general election" candidates and that is how they won their primaries. Romney appears to be that guy this cycle.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #941
SteveMax58
College Starter

What better, Mormon or Muslim?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #942
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I don't know if others feel this way, but it seems to me that the past two presidential losers (Kerry and McCain) were the safe, "gives us the best chance in the general election" candidates and that is how they won their primaries. Romney appears to be that guy this cycle.

This. Romney doesn't interest me at all.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #943
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Gingrich is just a boilerplate politician. And I'm sort of surprised he's winning in the polls since he's essentially everything that people supposedly hate about politicians. This is a guy who was going on TV before the 2008 election demanding Obama give back donations from Freddie Mac now that the government had to bail them out when he himself had received millions from them for consulting.

I just don't get it, he's basically what everyone has been hating on over the past decade.

And now that he's the flavor of the month, I'm sure the mass grilling will commence soon. Perry got it, Cain's still getting it, once Cain is eradicated, Newt will get his trial by fire, and drop back down into obscurity.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #944
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This cycle is a bit different as the opponents for Kerry weren't necessarily nuts (and Edwards was a decent enough candidate until we found out what we did this year)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #945
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
What better, Mormon or Muslim?

For electability? Mormon. A Muslim candidate would sadly pull less than 3% in a national election, no matter the credentials.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #946
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
And now that he's the flavor of the month, I'm sure the mass grilling will commence soon. Perry got it, Cain's still getting it, once Cain is eradicated, Newt will get his trial by fire, and drop back down into obscurity.

This. Why Romney still will likely become the candidate.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #947
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Cain, IMO, was always in this to increase his speaking/book fees and/or get a gig on Fox.

Coming to Fox News in March 2012:

Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann - Cain and Unstable, 7:30pm ET
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-30-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #948
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
For electability? Mormon. A Muslim candidate would sadly pull less than 3% in a national election, no matter the credentials.

Huh? We already had a Muslim win a Presidential election.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #949
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Thank you, Fox news.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #950
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

This deserves more love, even if it's only been up 45 min. Well done.