Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NOFL Week 7 has begun! Deadline is 5/10/09 at 10PM

I advanced it last night but forgot to post this thread. The only human vs human game is Colt Crazy vs Raiders Army. Meanwhile, Washington has a big game at #1 USC. I don't think our defense can stop them, but I think our offense might be able to give us a chance.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Raiders - I can do it pretty much any day after tomorrow (seeing Star Trek tomorrow night). I get home from work by 4ish, and the weekend is pretty open for me.

Since this is my first human game, is it just a matter of us being online at the same time and one of us inviting the other to a game? Looking forward to it!!!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Whew...finally.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Raiders - I can do it pretty much any day after tomorrow (seeing Star Trek tomorrow night). I get home from work by 4ish, and the weekend is pretty open for me.

Since this is my first human game, is it just a matter of us being online at the same time and one of us inviting the other to a game? Looking forward to it!!!

I'll get home Saturday, so I can play on Sunday. Just let me know when you want to play. I can do pretty much any time Sunday except during The AMAZING Race.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Sunday it is. I forgot that's Mother's Day, so let me check what we are doing that day, but I know I'll have plenty of time to play.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
is it just a matter of us being online at the same time and one of us inviting the other to a game? Looking forward to it!!!

Yes, within the online dynasty either one of you can invite the other to the game.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
WVUFAN
College Starter

With last second heroics from my Junior QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas improves to 3-2 with a last second TD victory over Auburn.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Hapless and winless Iowa State came into Boulder looking for an upset and got what they wanted in the first half. Hawkins threw three interceptions and put Colorado down by 10. A missed field goal added to the woes as did a failed fake FG on fourth and short at the ISU 38 yard line.

Second half looked more like the usual Buffaloes. Hawkins started clicking and Tony Meeks got his 200 yards receiving. In the fourth quarter, CU took the lead and all appeared well. That's when things started falling apart.

On a third and short inside the ISU 10, Darrell Scott dived for a first down ... and as he was reaching the ball forward it hit an ISU tackler. Ball popped loose, the Cyclones recovered. The Cylones broke a big passing play on a blitz to their lumbering TE to set up a TD and ISU went back up by 3. Colorado got the ball back with over 2 minutes to play.

First play Hawkins can't find a WR. He scrambles and goes down for a devestating 17-yard sack. 2nd and 27, 2 minutes to play, season on the line.

We don't want to try to eat the elephant all at once so next is a screen to Scott for eight yards, setting up 3rd and 19. Hawkins drops back and finds speedy Tony Malone all alone. Ball goes get in his hands and Malone heads toward the sideline and the first down marker. As he gets to the marker, the safety makes a diving stop. However, the ball popped out and ISU recovers, then takes the fumble to the 12-yard line.

The play was too close to gamble so I call for the challenge. On further review, I should have saved the timeout. the ball indeed popped out before Malone was down. ISU has the ball with 1:10 to play. We manage to stop them, force the field goal and get ball back with :27 seconds to go down 41-35.

It's the go-to-guys now so I call a play that will have Meeks go deep and I'll throw his way if he's open, other wise I'll hit Scott on the other side. Meeks is open and for a moment it looks like he might go all the way. A game saving tackle puts CU in business around the ISU 35 with :07.

Time for the vertical routes and Hawkins finds Celestine in single-cover on the outside. Ball goes toward the endzone, everyone leaps and Celestine ... can't hold on to the ball. :02 to play. Different play, but same idea. This time the ball goes to Meeks. Hawkins throws a bit of a wabbler and the ball drifts to the point where there now two CU players and two Cyclones. The ball is tipped a couple of times and falls to the ground. ISU 41, CU 35.

I'll be in the corner of FOFC puking my guts out and trying to restore any credibility and self-worth I may still have.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Yikes...rough loss man
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Agreed. Losses to the computer hurt bad...real bad.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ouch... I nearly did the exact same thing against 65 rated WSU with about 12 recruits visiting. It was 13-10 with 3 mins to play and they threw an INT in the end zone from about the 4 yard line (I swear that play is hard coded when you "should" win the game) and I ended up pulling out a 27-10 win.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Still stings. I had a TON of recruits visiting because this was supposed to be a gimme game. Ugh.

Obviously until I solve my defensive problems I'm going to find myself in these shootouts. But I still shouldn't have give up 41 points to ISU. The problem were the five turnovers.

I also desperately need a kicker. For some reason, no kicker wants to come play for me. I recruit the hell out of kickers and can't get a decent one. My current guy is good from about 35-yards in, and even then one twitch of the thumbstick and that ball goes sideways. We missed chipshot from 30-yards earlier in the game. We make that, then we don't need a TD at the end and can tie with a FG, so I could have gone with a short out-route and just gotten withing FG range.

Here's how bad things went: on my last kickoff, the player closest to my kicker started clapping and walking forward just as my kicker started going toward the ball. He walked in front of him and forced my kicker to stutter and move right. My kicker kicked about a yard and a half behind and a yard to the right of the ball.

It went three yards deep into the endzone. That was his deepest kickoff of his career.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 05-08-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I feel your pain with kickers - along with FB's I think they are the hardest position to recruit.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, kickers make no sense in this game. I have had a guy in my top 5 that I have been working on all year, I am his only offer and I'm not even in his top 10. He prefers Fresno State at #1 who haven't offered to me, even though I'm a Pac-10 program with better ratings across the board and the job will be open next year. I'm even going to go as far as to say it might be a bug.

Now EF mentions it, I have the same problems with FB as well. I got turned down by a kid from the West Coast last year in favor of Akron I think. Small sample size - maybe? But I have a hell of time recruiting those 2 positions.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I've given up on recruiting FB unless one falls into my lap. I generally don't find them entirely useful so I typically just try to recruit a HB with decent blocking and convert them to FB. Or I'll just carry a FB on the roster because the game says I have to have one and just start two HB in the backfield. Since I throw to my backs quite a bit anyway, it can be very nice to have two starting HBs in the backfield at once who can catch and run like hell.

Kickers are the bane of my existence. In my online leagues it seems like I keep getting stuck with walkons and yet no kicker wants to come play for me, even though the guy I have is as useful as a kick in the nuts.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I echo the kicker feelings as well. Only once did a good one fall into my lap when my current one was a senior. Otherwise, I find I go for it on 4th a lot more than I normally would.

Raiders - what time does Amazing Race end? We could do it after that. Nights are usually easier than days with kids around!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

I ended up moving a punter to kicker due to the lack of quality kickers.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yep. Alien is right. I just recruit punters. a 3* punter turns into like a 75ish kicker. That's all I need in this game. It allows for error if your hand slips kicking the ball so you don't hook the shit out of the ball.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Yep. Alien is right. I just recruit punters. a 3* punter turns into like a 75ish kicker. That's all I need in this game. It allows for error if your hand slips kicking the ball so you don't hook the shit out of the ball.
Yeah, I usually end up having my punter do double duty as K/P. Sadly the guy I have right now is like a 58. I blink and he shanks it left. If I sneeze, he'd probably kick the ball up the right tackle's doody-hole.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Washington went into the Coliseum and played a near perfect 1st half. We held them on their first drive to a long FG attempt which they missed. Our first play, Johnson caught a little swing pass out of the backfield, hurdled a defender who went low, spun away from another defender and took it 59 yards for a TD. Their next drive, we held them to a long FG. Then, Locker put together one of his best drives with a methodical approach that gave us a 14-3 lead.

They responded with a long drive that got down to the 2 yard line, but we stopped them on 2 run plays and a pass to force the short FG. We worked the clock and moved it downfield but turned it over with about 60 seconds left. Our defense prevented them from making the big play before the half.

Up 14-6 at halftime, we received the ball to start the 2nd half and super freshman Chad Anderson had a big kickoff return to start us at our 43. Unfortuantely, our HB who had been big all day got leveled by their MLB and fumbled the ball away after catching it over the middle.

As a side note, it is odd seeing Mustain as USC's starting QB. A big sack on 3rd and 6 led to another long FG attempt which their kicker made. The 51 yard attempt was his longest of the day. 14-9 early in the 3rd quarter.

On 3rd and 4, Locker made his first mistake of the day, underthrowing an out to Anderson (who still hasn't caught a pass today) and it was picked off and returned all the way to our 11 before Locker pushed the defender out of bounds.

Once again, we stopped them just inside the 2 yard line, but this time they chose to go for it and Marc Tyler powered his way into the endzone. Down 15-14 after we stopped the 2 point attempt (a screen to their WR, Brice Butler, who was hurt on the play for the rest of the game.)

Sheesh. On 3rd and 7, Locker threw a nice pass to Anderson, for what should have been his 1st catch and a 1st down, but he bobbled it right into their safeties hands for Locker's 2nd pick of the day.

After bottling him up all day, our defense allowed Tyler to run over 2 defenders and then he got to the corner and outran everyone for a long TD to put us down 22-14 as the 3rd quarter was about to expire. On our last pass before the end of the 3rd, Anderson got a long pass down the sideline to get us inside their 10!

Locker with a scramble for the TD early in the 4th. Locker with a scramble for the 2 point conversion to tie it at 22 with 6:25 left.

1st play, Marc Tyler broke 4 tackles, and rumbled for 66 yards for a TD.

With 3:24 left, on 3rd and 5 from their 18, Locker throws a bad pass that is picked off on their 2 yard line. They run it 3 straight times and we stuff them to get it back with 2:20 left. Anderson with a nice punt return to get it to their 34.

With 7 seconds left on 4th and goal from the 2, Locker scrambles to his right.. pump fakes and runs it into the endzone. On the road, we decide to go for 2. Locker again uses his feet to get in! We take the 30-29 lead!

We stop them on their last pass and win the game 30-29! I feel a bit bitterweet beating them, but that was an exciting game.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-09-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
BigDPW
College Prospect

NC State was able to go into Death Valley and take down the #25 Clemson Tigers to hand them their second straight defeat (last week to UVA). We have now moved to 3-3 with losses to Okie State, Kentucky, and UNC. The next few weeks should be interesting as we have alot of recruits scheduled to visit at out Wake Forest, FSU, and Boston College games. Interestingly even though I did not recruit last week (unless I did early on and forgot that I did) I still moved up some guys boards and stayed in the top spot for alot of my targets.

Also I may not have mentioned this but this game was my first without RS-So standout Mike Glennon at the helm since he is now out for the year following our game 2 weeks ago. I took the Redshirt off of Kevin Smith our #1 rated freshman QB but he only basically held on kick in his first action since I hated to throw him to the wolves at Clemson in his first game. Russell Wilson (who is vastly underated in our roster file) played well despite a few too many INTs at Clemson and gave us a change of pace from Glennon's style.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #22
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Great wins for both of you. Knocking off USC and beating Clemson with a backup QB are great jobs!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #23
Ironhead
College Prospect

Boston College beats up on Wake Forest to move to 4-1 on the year.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'll be getting in my game today at some point...
Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #25
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Stanford traveled to South Bend today to face off against their rivals, the Golden Domers. The game was dominated in most areas by Stanford all the way through about a minute into the 4th quarter, when they staged a hell of a comeback, actually going up by a point with around 3 minutes left. We got the ball back and converted 3 or 4 very tough third downs, and kicked a chip shot from inside the 5 (and yes, my kicker was iced) to win it as time expired. Notre dame was surprisingly highly rated too, A's across the board.

Final Score
#7 Stanford - 30
#22 Notre Dame - 28

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 05-09-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #26
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I echo the kicker feelings as well. Only once did a good one fall into my lap when my current one was a senior. Otherwise, I find I go for it on 4th a lot more than I normally would.

Raiders - what time does Amazing Race end? We could do it after that. Nights are usually easier than days with kids around!

Posting from phone. Just got home. I can go after 9 PM EST. Does that work for you?

Last edited by Raiders Army : 05-10-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #27
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Wow! Sounds like exciting games against some very good AI teams. Congrats to everyone on the victories.

My life has been crazy lately and I will get my game in before 10 PM EST tonight. I've only been at home 2 of the last 9 nights (thank you trips to Columbus and Nashville). Hopefully I'll get back to being one of the first to play the game each week.

Good luck in the human vs human matchup tonight.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Posting from phone. Just got home. I can go after 9 PM EST. Does that work for you?

Sure! I'll be on by then, just come find me!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #29
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Hard fought game between OSU and Texas A&M tonight that really wasn't decided till the 4th quarter.

It started early as OSU picked off an A&M pass on the 2nd play of the game and returned it for a TD.

A&M settled down and started a long drive that ended with a TD plunge by Heisman hopeful Bradley Stephens.

An OSU punt got A&M the ball back, but again, OSU picked it off a returned it for a TD. Right before the end of the 1st, A&M tied it, again with Stephens, this time on a 10 yard pass.

14-14 after one. I can say I was pretty disappointed at this point. I thought A&M had got the better of the possessions, yet I had no lead to show for it.

And if that was the case for the 1st, the opposite was the case for the 2nd. OSU pretty much dominated the clock in the 2nd period, putting together long drives that ended with a missed field goal and an interception. The interception was probably the key play of the game. OSU ball, 3rd down and goal from about the 2, less than 15 seconds before the half. The INT kept us from trailing at halftime. Both teams had played well at times, made errors at time. Great half of football.

The 3rd quarter seemed to be the beginning of a stalemate until Bradley Stephens scored his 3rd and last TD on a 53 yard pass play. A&M 21-14 going into the 4th.

From there, the Aggies put together a long drive and the backup RB, Gray, scored on a run for a 14 point lead. An interception return for a TD sealed a win that looked in doubt several times before.

Final: Texas A&M 38, Oklahoma St. 14

Great game Raiders. Would love to hear what you thought of my play.

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 05-10-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #30
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think the score was really an indicator of the game. The only TDs I scored were on defense. My D was able to hold you for the first half really well, but we fell apart after my strategy to get ahead didn't work.

I wanted to go up by 7 at halftime since I would get the ball at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. I figured if I could go up by two TDs, it would be hard to beat me at home. Alas, you are correct that the the INT was the key play of the game.

By the time you went up by 14, I pretty much gave up all hope. It was a rough game for me offensively since you stifled my run game. When Stephens scored the 53 yard pass play I knew what you were going to run, but brought my 1 deep safety in to cover the short man coming across the middle instead of your star RB. Stupid mistake.

It was a great game and I enjoyed it...although I think that if I hadn't been away for two weeks, it would've been a different story. I've only lost twice to human opponents, both times to A&M. Foz beat me by (I think) a field goal last year and this time it was more conclusive.

I thought you played very fairly and your offense was decent. Really, I thought your defense was much better than your offense since you didn't have anyone fast playing for you and your schemes were very good especially considering you didn't pressure the QB much. When you brought the blitz, you brought it.

I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season and win the B12 championship!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #31
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Nice win for #3 A&M. Wow.

My Kentucky squad beat the living crap out of South Carolina 84-14. It was no contest. The game decided to be cute early on by forcing me to fumble on two very questionable animations in the first quarter. Thankfully we got on track and reversed the turnover margin. My team forced TEN turnovers (1 fumble & 9 INT's) and we gave it away three times. That is by far the most turnovers I've forced in a game. I think we forced 6 in the first half and 4 in the second half. It was a win-win situation because we had a big enough lead to pull the starters just before halftime and we also escaped without any major injuries. That's all you can hope for against a crappy AI team. That was the best defense I've played in a long time (albeit against an inferior team). But my defense has been sketchy this season, so hopefully this will get us on track.

Next I think we have a bye week before our first of two SEC games versus a human opponent.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I agree, things could have easily turned out the other way. Odd to say with the final score, but I agree with your assessment. If you had scored before the half, and then again in the 3rd, it could have been 38-14 the other way.

Thanks, my defense did well. Playing you is challenging because you mix up your plays pretty well. I thought the tackling was solid because a few times your runners were out in space and we made tackles that saved long gains.

Very glad you are in the conference with me. I feel like all of our games will be the proverbial chess match!