Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Arrow The Ladder in NCAA 2014 - Coach skill trees discussion & the new setup

I spent some time editing existing coaches after reading this thread from OS. Specifically, I slanted things towards spending points on good recruiting for the computer coaches and avoiding the on-field skill trees listed below. Many coaches had the Up-Tempo and Recharge attributes maxed or nearly maxed before I edited them. I always get annoyed when my offense (specifically my quarterback) is gassed after a few no-huddle plays, but the CPU never gets tired.

Do we want to have a gentleman's agreement to avoid the problem skill trees? One by-product of avoiding the Recharge skill on defense is that I had to max out Ball Security (whatever it was called) in order to open up other skill trees for the defensive coordinators. Anyhow, please weigh in. Maybe we can put a cap of one upgrade for human users in the Up-Tempo, Recharge, and Great Wall skill trees? We can't prevent CPU-coaches from upgrading those skills going forward, but as of now, all of them are at zero for those skill trees. For me, it's more fun if players actually get tired and depth matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson View Post
Coach skill trees you should avoid at all costs:

Clean Laundry - You won't see a single penalty if a team is even a level 1 in this.

Coachstradamus - Might as well call this God of Cheese. Basically gives the entire linebacker and secondary core an instant jump and speed warp boost when a team tries to run the ball. So avoid this at all costs. If not you will see WAY TOO MANY tackles in the backfield by a SWARM of defenders.

Great Wall - Pass blocking is way too good as is, with this added to it, you will not see a consistent pass rush at all.

Up Tempo and Recharge - Both of them prevent the offense and defense from getting tired. And I for one personally like seeing players getting tired on a consistent basis.

In all honesty this skill tree thing hurt the game more then it helped NCAA 14 because it over rides the AI and ratings way too much. So you really have to trim the fat off and activate other areas of the skill tree just to see certain things happen on a consistent basis in the game.

We should also see the CPU using more substitutions, as all coaches were set to 85 sub-frequency per the OS Community Sliders thread. (He mentions setting subs to 85 in the video below). Also, coach aggression was set to 50/50 or one click toward the conservative side of 50/50 per the slider recommendations (sometimes you can't choose 50/50 exactly).

Last edited by Kodos : 08-04-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sliders

Here is the updated slider set from OS. Note: It is different than the set that is currently being used in The Pyramid. I will update the Pyramid sliders before we advance. People didn't seem in love with the new ones anyhow, from initial feedback. I plan to stick with these new sliders for both leagues unless people think they suck for some reason. I went with 8 minute quarters, but everything else is as shown below.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-04-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just to double check: The sliders are above are what we are using in this league? If so, I'll switch to them in my solo league to get used to playing with them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yes, that's what we're using in the Ladder.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, I already did my skill tree, can I undo it if we come up with house rules?

Second, if CPU coaches are going to use some of these, are we screwed by NOT using the counters?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well, I already did my skill tree, can I undo it if we come up with house rules?

Second, if CPU coaches are going to use some of these, are we screwed by NOT using the counters?

1. I think I can make it so people can reset their skill trees at the end of the season.

2. I dunno. That's why I was saying we could do it up to level 1. Don't know if that is sufficient to counter the CPU doing it or not.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
chesapeake
College Starter

I know bupkis about the skill trees and such, so I feel that I have nothing to contribute to this discussion other than to voice my concern that, because I know nothing about what is clearly an integral part of the game, I am going to be hopelessly screwed when I inevitably make a misinformed decision.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think the skills are fairly well balanced - the coaching ones will give some really nice boosts as described above with fatigue, but the recruiting ones can help you get more great players than other teams without them. It's a tough choice at times but they are reasonably self-explanatory. That being said, I'd be glad to share my knowledge about any of the skills or the skill trees in general.

Edit: And I'm fine with whatever we decide although I already set my skills for this season.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-04-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Kodos,
One thing to think about. You will never open up the higher tiers if you tke those two out of play. In order to opne up the progressive higher tiers you have to spend X numbr of points on the ower tiers. At the top of the chain you can only have 1 or 2 not maxed out (menaining 2 out of 3) skills below.

Im fine if we are all on the same page just a variable I wanted to make sure was considered.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like maybe we should scrap the idea of limits.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Yeah, scrap it. No limits.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry for all the typos...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Playing a game in my solo dynasty with the new sliders... very interested to see what everyone thinks about them.

As an aside, I just saw something I've never seen before. The CPU triggered a message that they did a user catch!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh no--NCAA 14 has become self-aware!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Playing a game in my solo dynasty with the new sliders... very interested to see what everyone thinks about them.

As an aside, I just saw something I've never seen before. The CPU triggered a message that they did a user catch!

Any initial impressions? I haven't tried them yet.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Any initial impressions? I haven't tried them yet.

I hate to post impressions after only 1 game but a few initial thoughts:

I think tackling is too high. It might be necessary with the 1 threshold, but everyone is a sure tackler. Even my weak CB brought down a big running back without much problem. I usually lower tackling, not jack it up to 90.

Also, I think interceptions at 45 is too high. Lots of our guys are going to be setting records every year.

I also think the human run game is very tough to get going at these settings.

I think the challenge will be higher than our old set-up.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

About to play my game against UCLA in the Ladder now! I'll let you know any more thoughts after that game
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

That'd be great. Crush 'em.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

We beat UCLA 23-6. They threw 2 picks (both very late in the game when they were desperately trying to score) and I threw 1. A few more thoughts:

I definitely think tackling is too high as there is almost never a broken tackle. That being said, it does give the game a nice defensive struggle feel. I had to settle for FG's many times because I couldn't just rush it down their throats.

- The interception slider led to some amazing interceptions but I also saw a few dropped picks. Maybe it is fine.

- The human run blocking was much better this game than my solo dynasty. In my solo dynasty, my OL is not that highly rated... so maybe that is the issue and the run sliders are fine.

- I think this is more challenging than our last season against the CPU. I enjoyed the game a lot and had to constantly think about my next move and how to best secure the win. Very enjoyable game

Edit: As 1 illustration of the tackling issue. My Coverage CB, Jimmy Hale, was 2nd on the team with 7 solo tackles. His tackle rating is only a 61 but he never missed a tackle including taking down their star HB on several outside runs.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-07-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do you think we would benefit from longer quarters? I went a minute shorter than OS sliders suggested.

I wouldn't mind the sliders being a little more challenging than they were in NCAA 2013.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I thought the quarter length was fine. I think we each had 70 plus plays in the game although we did both run an uptempo offense.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I agree that I don't mind the sliders being more challenging.