Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #51
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Also, I'd add a house rule that if you're playing against the comp and you're up by 35 in the third quarter or up by 21 in the fourth quarter, you put in your 2nd team offense and defense.

You mean people don't do this already? Wow. I'm so worried about injuries that I take out my starters as soon as I feel comfortable with the lead. The differentials you listed there are about what it takes for me to feel "comfortable." In the bowl game I'll run it up against the AI with my starters in, but otherwise, the game-within-the-game against mediocre teams is "when can I put in my 2nd string?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
What are your guys thoughts on having a schedule like this.

2 designated league-wide bye weeks.

Week 1 (starting monday) - Games due by Thursday at midnight
Week 2 - Games due by Sunday at midnight
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Bowl games have 4 day deadlines

Recruiting weeks 1 and 2 have two day deadlines, whereas weeks 3-5 have one day deadlines.

This way, at worst case scenario, a full season from week 1 to the end of off season duties (next years week 1) would take approximately 2 months, and we'd be able to get in at least 6 years of full play. We could post a schedule that is non-negotiable kind of like how the FOFL does.

To me personally, this is actually doable. I was freaking out about the thought of a 2-day schedule. That may be a fun 2nd league for some people, but there's no way I could consistently make that. I think anything less than 5 days every week will be pushing it for me, but I'd be willing to try something like this. Do you think it would be better to make the deadlines Thursday & Saturday (at midnight)? This way there's at least one weekend day on each rotation. For you people with your normal Monday-Friday jobs, that may be better.

Despite all of this planning, something always seems to happen which causes a delay (RROD, human vs human connection issues, birth/death in the family, etc.). I guess each league will have to decide what kind of stance they want to take. Do they want to take the hard stance and say "this is the deadline regardless of what happens" or do they want to be a more casual league (a la the NOFL) & extend deadlines for a day in extenuating circumstances. I don't think there's a "right" answer for this, but I think how the commish & league answers this question will ultimately determine the overall league mantra (or something).

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #52
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Sun's proposed schedule is a reasonable one to me.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want all my leagues to be "fast" leagues -- maybe just one league where it would be reasonable to maybe get in 10 seasons before next year's version comes out.

I think my biggest complaint with say a 5-day schedule is that when 11 guys are ready after 3 days and it's one guy holding it up, or worse yet one guy who misses the deadline and it's now a 6-day schedule. I think it's preferably to have a shorter deadline to get everyone in as fast as possible and if someone has a delay and can't get it in, you can extend. It's just that there are times when there are no valid reasons to have a 5-day sim other than someone just waited until the last minute to get the game in.

One thing some leagues has done has been to eliminate week 1 games -- that speeds up the sims. If it's possible with weekly schedules, I'd eliminate a 2nd week as well (like week 14) -- no human games in those two weeks of the season. Allow h2h non-conference games in weeks 2-4 but no others -- that way you concentrate as many of your h2h games in as few weeks as possible so 10 guys playing against the CPU aren't finished in two days and everyone is waiting 6 days for two guys to get their game in.

But I don't want this to sound hardcore and scare everyone away. If I'm in three leagues, I'd like for one of them to be a "fast" league. I'm good with 3-5 day schedules in other leagues.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #53
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thinking about this a little more, I think the create a team conference is the way to go, either with a conference that has a round-robin schedule, or one that is split into two 6 team divisions with a conference championship. And I think a smaller (8ish teams) owner base is better than 12, as long as you get dedicated owners.

I wouldn't mind a round-robin league with a slower schedule, since playing humans is more interesting than playing the computer. I know it's more logistically difficult to get humans playing eachother regularly.

I think the problem with an OD in Madden is that the seasons are so long (17 weeks + playoffs + exhibition games (if you play them)), and the offseason is more complicated and long as well. So probably NCAA works better for ODs anyhow, at least in my book, unless they let you keep playing after the next version of Madden comes out.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #54
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Thinking about this a little more, I think the create a team conference is the way to go, either with a conference that has a round-robin schedule, or one that is split into two 6 team divisions with a conference championship. And I think a smaller (8ish teams) owner base is better than 12, as long as you get dedicated owners.

I wouldn't mind a round-robin league with a slower schedule, since playing humans is more interesting than playing the computer. I know it's more logistically difficult to get humans playing eachother regularly.

I think the problem with an OD in Madden is that the seasons are so long (17 weeks + playoffs + exhibition games (if you play them)), and the offseason is more complicated and long as well. So probably NCAA works better for ODs anyhow, at least in my book, unless they let you keep playing after the next version of Madden comes out.

Truthfully, Madden wouldn't have recruiting so it shouldn't take as long, and I'd propose simming 4 set weeks a season or something of that sort.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #55
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Ok, so the teambuilder thing was launched today.

teambuilder.easports.com

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-01-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #56
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Hmm, I don't see the new QB skills they talked about in the creator. I wonder what that means.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Hmm, I don't see the new QB skills they talked about in the creator. I wonder what that means.

What new QB skills? If you are talking about the various accuracy ratings, that is Madden exclusive.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #58
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
What new QB skills? If you are talking about the various accuracy ratings, that is Madden exclusive.

That is what I was talking about. I thought it was supposed to be in NCAA too.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #59
wade moore
lolzcat

Has anyone played with this utility much?

I haven't done the roster stuff yet, but the other stuff - it's FREAKING AWESOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #60
spleen1015
Coordinator

I had no idea you guys were doing this with NCAA. I guess I need to pay closer attention.

I would like to get in on the fun this year if you guys have room, don't mind having a scrub, etc.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #61
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The new utility is pretty awesome. I tried making my old high school team but since I don't have their logo it just isn't as cool. There are a few bugs regarding stripes not showing up, or not being fully customizable, but otherwise I agree it's very impressive.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
The new utility is pretty awesome. I tried making my old high school team but since I don't have their logo it just isn't as cool. There are a few bugs regarding stripes not showing up, or not being fully customizable, but otherwise I agree it's very impressive.

If you have a logo, it's very easy to slide it in.

Haven't seen the bug with stripes, but definitely not overly concerned about that. Might even translate fine once it goes in game.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #63
wade moore
lolzcat

Ok.. with this util, I think we need to start really nailing down setup. I'm sure there are some folks that are going to want help with creating logos, unis, rosters, etc based on their time/tech savviness - so we need to know where we're going with this.

One of my biggest questions is - how do we build a roster here? Do we build it based on existing teams? One of the models available? Have some sort of distributions of ratings where you can have X 85 OVR, Y 80 OVR, etc... something else?

To me it would seem that building on one of the "models" might make sense.. Something like.. "Average Joes" or whatever (that is an actual option, as is "cupcake")..

Quote:
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #64
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wade, as fate would have it, I was thinking the same thing. Please see my Solecismic 8 thread.

I'd think go with models, or, if possible, have teams get a randomly-assigned FCS roster to their created team. I think if we let people create players, they would simply max out speed and maybe a couple other attributes, and then have low non-essential attributes that would artificially lower the overall score for the player. Plus, making players is bound to be a pain.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-02-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote