Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #2401
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Literally every single black Dem I know personally that has expressed on social media is for Biden. Of course that’s almost exclusively Southern, mostly church-going, and mostly mid 40s and up, though the Chicago-based Lewis clan (all three of my dad’s siblings had moved there by the end of the 70s) also is 100% Biden.

From your observation, what is it about the Biden campaign that resonates so much with black voters?

(My bias- I have a hard time seeing what makes him any different than Hillary Clinton, who already lost to Trump. So I'm confused by the "electability" argument.)
Old 03-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #2402
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Vermont for Sanders and Virginia for Biden on exit polling

Bloomberg looks to have done real bad in Virginia which is good news for Biden.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #2403
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

538 says the Biden-Virginia win will be around 49%.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #2404
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Warren campaign is interesting. She was the clear frontrunner going into this primary and by all accounts should have done much better. Would be interesting to see an obituary on the campaign someday to see what went wrong.

Was trying to find a comparison for her in recent times. Maybe Jeb? A safe pick who could appeal to everyone in the party in some capacity but never could gain traction.

She's anything but the safe pick. Prior to Sanders, she was considered the far left end of the party. Jeb was a middle of the road pick, she's nowhere near middle of the road.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 03-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #2405
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
James Comey just came out in support of Biden.

How self-deluded does James Comey have to be to think that his endorsement is a positive thing?

This was smart.

Joe Biden Campaign Director Rejects James Comey's Endorsement: 'How Can I Return It?'
Old 03-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #2406
molson
General Manager

The photos of Biden and Bernie head to head on the front page of CNN.com....they look like they're 250 years old combined.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #2407
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
She's anything but the safe pick. Prior to Sanders, she was considered the far left end of the party. Jeb was a middle of the road pick, she's nowhere near middle of the road.

She seems in the middle of a far-left candidate like Bernie and a moderate corporate candidate like Biden. If you map out her policies, they are incredibly popular when polling Democrats.

What do you think made her far-left?
Old 03-03-2020, 06:21 PM   #2408
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
She seems in the middle of a far-left candidate like Bernie and a moderate corporate candidate like Biden. If you map out her policies, they are incredibly popular when polling Democrats.

What do you think made her far-left?

Free college, Medicare for all, wealth tax, Wall Street reform.

She's not as far to the left as Bernie, but she's much closer to a Bernie than a Biden.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-03-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #2409
GrantDawg

By exit polls, Biden will hit above 15% in Vermont. That would be a blow to Sanders who expected to get all the delegates.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #2410
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
The Warren campaign is interesting. She was the clear frontrunner going into this primary and by all accounts should have done much better.

I thought Biden was considered the favorite from the very start? Warren had her moments and its very disappointing that she tanked the way she did, but I never saw her as a favorite.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #2411
bronconick
College Starter

North Carolina for Biden. Sanders' unicorn voters are a myth.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:39 PM   #2412
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I thought Biden was considered the favorite from the very start? Warren had her moments and its very disappointing that she tanked the way she did, but I never saw her as a favorite.

As far as I know Warren didn't lead in a single national poll. IMO she suffered from the crowded field along with the fact that she's too far left for Biden supporters and Bernie supporters are too loyal to jump ship. So she did well in the early debates and just seemed to plateau.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #2413
bronconick
College Starter

Bloomberg purchases the American Samoa Caucus
Old 03-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #2414
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Free college, Medicare for all, wealth tax, Wall Street reform.

She's not as far to the left as Bernie, but she's much closer to a Bernie than a Biden.

72% of Democrats support free college.
77% of Democrats support M4A
77% of Democrats approve her wealth tax
81% of Democrats support increased financial regulation

There doesn't appear to be a big split on her with those issues and the Democratic Party voters.

Should note that many of those are popular with Independents and even Republicans. Doesn't seem far-left at at all.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #2415
GrantDawg

Tulsi got a delegate! #Tulsi-sunami

Old 03-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #2416
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Bloomberg purchases the American Samoa Caucus

Fun. He probably promised to build hotels and mansions there.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #2417
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
From your observation, what is it about the Biden campaign that resonates so much with black voters?

(My bias- I have a hard time seeing what makes him any different than Hillary Clinton, who already lost to Trump. So I'm confused by the "electability" argument.)
At least for those among my friends and family, I think it's a combination of things...

1. They think Joe has the best shot at beating Trump.
2. They're more socially conservative than pretty much every Dem candidate, including Biden. (My uncle, for example, is in his 80s. Retired pastor. Marched with Dr. King. Was arrested for refusing to go to the back of the bus when he was in his 20s. Big civil rights guy, but until he retired in the mid 2000s, when his gay granddaughter would show up to church, he'd almost always slip something in the sermon pretty hardcore against homosexual behavior. I realize that this is anecdotal, but he's a pretty middle-of-the-road southern black preacher, who influences a significant portion of the black community in his town. I don't think he's by any means an outlier.) Goldwater calling the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, The Southern Strategy, dog whistles to racists, and not calling out racists is what alienated black folks from the Republican Party--but not so much a total split on ideology in other areas. (Some of my Dem-voting family members are as strong on 2A rights as any NRA A+ Republican politician.)
3. Age. Now, as admitted above, my own circle of Dem friends trends older among blacks than whites. That said, I couldn't put my hands quickly on any stats to back this up, but my impression is that the average black voter is older than the average white voter. (For that matter, logically, one would expect that older blacks would value their vote more than any other demographic in the country because of proximity to being denied that right.) If that's correct, then that would feed the social conservatism to which I refer in #2.

Over-simplifying, they may be seeing #1 through their own biases as laid out in #2: ("Biden has the best chance of beating Trump, because he's the only one that isn't way out there!")

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-03-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #2418
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Biden joined later than most candidates. People weren't sure if he was going to run or not. Pretty sure Warren was the frontrunner back in early 2019 (dont' think Biden got going till May). I just remember the betting markets had her on top but maybe it was just those early months of the race.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #2419
Ben E Lou

Quote:
IMO she suffered from the crowded field along with the fact that she's too far left for Biden supporters and Bernie supporters are too loyal to jump ship.
I think this is it. She needed to knock Bernie out of controlling the "progressive" lane and never did.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #2420
Ben E Lou

NBC is reporting that over 50% of Super Tuesday voters decided in the last few days. That's sounds like more good news for Biden.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-03-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #2421
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
NBC is reporting that over 50% of Super Tuesday voters decided in the last few days. That's sounds like more good news for Biden.

fwiw, I roomsurfed through FXNC and caught this stat for NC:
45% decided in the past few days .... Biden got 50% of those, 14% to Bernie, 12% to Bloomie

edit to add: assuming all those asked answered honestly AND actually voted in the (D) primary, that would mean that "the field" did basically as well the Bernie / Bloomie combo with that subset of voters (50+26 leaves 24)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-03-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #2422
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Biden joined later than most candidates. People weren't sure if he was going to run or not. Pretty sure Warren was the frontrunner back in early 2019 (dont' think Biden got going till May). I just remember the betting markets had her on top but maybe it was just those early months of the race.

Sanders and Harris were leading the polls prior to Biden's announcement. Biden was still leading polls that included him, which was most considering it was so early.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #2423
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
At least for those among my friends and family, I think it's a combination of things...

2. They're more socially conservative than pretty much every Dem candidate, including Biden. (My uncle, for example, is in his 80s. Retired pastor. Marched with Dr. King. Was arrested for refusing to go to the back of the bus when he was in his 20s. Big civil rights guy, but until he retired in the mid 2000s, when his gay granddaughter would show up to church, he'd almost always slip something in the sermon pretty hardcore against homosexual behavior.) Goldwater calling the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, The Southern Strategy, dog whistles to racists, and not calling out racists is what alienated black folks from the Republican Party--but not so much a total split on ideology in other areas. (Some of my Dem-voting family members are as strong on 2A rights as any NRA A+ Republican politician.)
3. Age. Now, as admitted above, my own circle of Dem friends trends older among blacks than whites. That said, I couldn't put my hands quickly on any stats to back this up, but my impression is that the average black voter is older than the average white voter. (For that matter, logically, one would expect that older blacks would value their vote more than any other demographic in the country because of proximity to being denied that right.) If that's correct, then that would feed the social conservatism to which I refer in #2.

Over-simplifying, they may be seeing #1 through their own biases as laid out in #2: ("Biden has the best chance of beating Trump, because he's the only one that isn't way out there!")

The socially-conservative thing is probably spot-on. I'd link it to religion too. I know for instance that you have to be at church on Sunday if you want to be elected by the black community in Chicago. What church you belong to matters a lot.

Obama's decision to attend Trinity for instance was more about politics at the time than anything else. It was how you made connections in the community.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #2424
Radii
Head Coach

Not enough results in to tell so far, but everything is pointing towards Biden right now. All of Bernie's hope relies on a huge win in California and winning Texas it seems (that maybe has always been the case, but Biden over performing in Virginia and Vermont which is telling)
Old 03-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #2425
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Best to take I’ve seen tonight: one week ago Bernie Sanders was given an opportunity to show the Democrats how he would act as a real front runner. And his first move was to praise Castro. Tonight should not be all that surprising
Old 03-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #2426
Ben E Lou

Quote:
The socially-conservative thing is probably spot-on. I'd link it to religion too. I know for instance that you have to be at church on Sunday if you want to be elected by the black community in Chicago. What church you belong to matters a lot.

Obama's decision to attend Trinity for instance was more about politics at the time than anything else. It was how you made connections in the community.
And to clarify, my family is HUGE, so the things I'm saying are probably a bit biased that way. My mom was the oldest of 8. All 8 remained (mostly) in Columbus, GA and none of the 8 had fewer than 3 kids. Four of her brothers were preachers, and I'm not going to try to count how many of the 40ish first cousins in my generation who at one time or another have been in vocational ministry. It's easily over a dozen, quite possibly over half. So, yeah, the folks I'm seeing posting skew toward heavy church involvement, probably moreso than the black community as a whole, but not THAT much more, at least in the South.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #2427
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Sanders and Harris were leading the polls prior to Biden's announcement. Biden was still leading polls that included him, which was most considering it was so early.

I'm wrong then. I just remember a lot of stuff like this early on. Then again I think Harris and Beto were considered legit contenders at some point too.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #2428
Ben E Lou

Texas early-vote counts are showing a near-tie between Bernie and Joe. If the trend holds of late voters breaking for Biden...
Old 03-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #2429
RainMaker
General Manager

Tulsi got a delegate in America Samoa which means she gets to be in the next debate!
Old 03-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #2430
GrantDawg

Brian Williams "Bloomberg not having the night he thought he paid for..."
Tonight definitely is proving you can't just buy votes.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #2431
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know why I find this so funny.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #2432
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:

2. They're more socially conservative than pretty much every Dem candidate, including Biden. (My uncle, for example, is in his 80s. Retired pastor. Marched with Dr. King. Was arrested for refusing to go to the back of the bus when he was in his 20s. Big civil rights guy, but until he retired in the mid 2000s, when his gay granddaughter would show up to church, he'd almost always slip something in the sermon pretty hardcore against homosexual behavior. I realize that this is anecdotal, but he's a pretty middle-of-the-road southern black preacher, who influences a significant portion of the black community in his town. I don't think he's by any means an outlier.) Goldwater calling the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, The Southern Strategy, dog whistles to racists, and not calling out racists is what alienated black folks from the Republican Party--but not so much a total split on ideology in other areas. (Some of my Dem-voting family members are as strong on 2A rights as any NRA A+ Republican politician.)

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. Helps to hear the perspective outside of one's bubble.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #2433
Edward64
Head Coach

Warren is done. My guess is her supporters will go towards Biden.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-03-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #2434
GrantDawg

Biden winning Virginia by 31 points, with 93% in. Wow.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-03-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #2435
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Why in the world would you think that? Warren's ideas are so very close to Bernie's and so far away from Biden's. I know it's not quite as simple as that, but every source I've seen is talking about Warren staying in being bad for Bernie, and how her dropping out would be the equivalent thing to the boost Mayor Pete and Klobuchar are giving Biden right now.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #2436
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

No, her supporters go to Sanders which is why she is staying in. She's likely been promised the VP spot.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #2437
RainMaker
General Manager

Why do states not hold their congressional primary at the same time as the Presidential? Like Massachusetts holds their primary in September? Seems like a waste of money.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #2438
bronconick
College Starter

You have to make the parties coordinate with the states to do that. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #2439
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
No, her supporters go to Sanders which is why she is staying in. She's likely been promised the VP spot.

I doubt that. Biden needs a younger VP.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #2440
Edward64
Head Coach

Bloomberg is doing better than I would have thought with relatively poor debate performances. He seems to be viable in several states.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #2441
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Why in the world would you think that? Warren's ideas are so very close to Bernie's and so far away from Biden's. I know it's not quite as simple as that, but every source I've seen is talking about Warren staying in being bad for Bernie, and how her dropping out would be the equivalent thing to the boost Mayor Pete and Klobuchar are giving Biden right now.

There’s animosity between Sanders + Warren. There’s no animosity with Biden. Personalities are coming in play and just not policy positions. I’m pretty sure she agrees that ‘no one likes Sanders’.

Warren should see that Sanders won’t get things done and it’s better for her to get some sort of position with Biden so she can influence her agenda.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #2442
Kodos
Resident Alien

The DNC establishment tonight:

Old 03-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #2443
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bloomberg is doing better than I would have thought with relatively poor debate performances. He seems to be viable in several states.

His ads are all over the place. Radio, tv, podcasts... I personally am annoyed by ads but obviously people wouldnt do them if they didnt work. Now the question is how much better could he have done had he dodged all of the debates so far?

Last edited by panerd : 03-03-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #2444
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I doubt that. Biden needs a younger VP.

I don't know about who is best to be VP, but I don't believe Warren is staying in to fuck over Bernie at all.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #2445
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a turnaround for Biden.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #2446
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why does ABC have a beached whale as a pundit?
Old 03-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #2447
bronconick
College Starter

Biden might be snatching the suburb vote that delivered Democrats the House
Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #2448
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know about who is best to be VP, but I don't believe Warren is staying in to fuck over Bernie at all.

Yeah in my opinion if anything it would be to become bernies vice president.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #2449
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sanders down to 50% in his home state of Vermont
Old 03-03-2020, 08:35 PM   #2450
GrantDawg

Bloomberg coming in second in Colorado. Early voting helped him a lot.

Closed Thread