Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Aren't most college football games substantially longer than NFL games now? I always plan for a college game to go three and a half or four hours. Where NFL games run about 3:15.

Late November college games avg 3:23, NFl is about 3:07

But ...
Quote:
The NFL scoring average is 22.7 points. In the Bowl Subdivision it's 29.4, the same as last year and just under the record of 29.5 in 2012.

The game clock stops for three to four minutes every time there's a touchdown. That's how long it takes to kick the extra point and for the clock to start running again on the kick return or next play from scrimmage if there is no runback.

College football games are getting longer; are they too long? | OregonLive.com

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-05-2015 at 10:00 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #252
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you lead a game for 52 minutes and completely collapse because of a bad call (no arguing the officials blew it) then you probably didn't belong in the playoffs to begin with.

Nonsense. Nobody here that I've read is saying they collapsed because of the call(that was well under way, but certainly would have been mitigated/less likely to be completed). That has absolutely nothing to do with who 'belongs in the playoffs'. That's determined in the regular season of course.

I.e., Arizona. Their struggles due to having no QB had nothing to do with them 'belonging there'. They earned the spot.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #253
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Letting the governor determine, by executive order, what the governor is allowed to receive in the way of gifts seems problematic.

The state of New Jersey seems okay with that, though, so...?

The problem with what Christie did by drawing all that attention to himself with that Kool-aid man group hug is that it gets people to dig and bring up things, like this. I'm guessing nothing shadier than normal actually took place, but it opens you up to needing to defend yourself.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/christie...ner-1420517744

Quote:
The Cowboys, along with the New York Yankees and Checketts Partners Investment Fund, are owners of Legends Hospitality, the operator of a soon-to-be-opened observatory of the 104-story One World Trade Center—operated by the Port Authority, which Mr. Christie jointly controls with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo . Financial terms of the deal haven’t been publicly disclosed.

A Port Authority spokeswoman said Legends was selected following a competitive public procurement process. The observation deck is expected to generate $875 million in revenue over 15 years for the Port Authority through a combination of base rent and shared net income, the authority spokeswoman said.

Randy Levine, president of the Yankees and a board member of Legends, said the bidding process was fair and didn’t involve political or personal favors, and that Messrs. Christie and Cuomo weren’t involved.

“To try and tie one to the other is silly,” he said. Mr. Levine said New York officials at Legends were the primary officials on the bid and that Mr. Jones wasn’t involved, even though his family is a “significant” business owner in the company. He declined to say what percentage.

Mr. Christie’s acceptance of a gift from a business owner with ties to the Port Authority comes amid calls for reform at an agency rocked by the George Washington Bridge scandal and other problems in the past year. Messrs. Christie and Cuomo recently vetoed a legislative overhaul of the authority and instead pushed forward with a set of changes written by a panel that they appointed.

The authority is currently wrestling with how to revise its conflict-of-interest standards for its board of commissioners.

Given the authority’s recent problems, Jameson Doig, an emeritus Princeton University Professor who wrote a book about the Port Authority, said Mr. Christie’s relationship and receiving of gifts from Mr. Jones “sends the wrong signal if Christie or any of his top aides appear to have a conflict of interest in their relationship to the Port Authority.”

“The governor ought to do all he can to avoid that conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict,” said Mr. Doig, a member of a panel on overhauling the agency’s ethics rules and structure.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #254
Logan
Head Coach

And here's more of what I'm talking about as the language used is changing:

Chris Christie “Personally Pushed” for Jerry Jones to Receive Government Contract | The Big Lead

My guess is he travels to Green Bay on his own dime.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #255
Logan
Head Coach

NFL Admits Officials Missed Another Crucial Cowboys Penalty
Old 01-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #256
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's just piling on now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #257
JeeberD
General Manager

Don't they make admissions like that just about every week?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #258
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Can't you call holding on any play in the NFL? That was not an egregious hold in my book.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #259
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Can't you call holding on any play in the NFL? That was not an egregious hold in my book.

I haven't watched the video, so I am going off of only the description. But it sounds like if it weren't for the hold, Romo would have been sacked by Suh (and turning the ball over on downs).

While holding can be called on any play, it seems like this one could have directly changed this entire play.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #260
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I haven't watched the video, so I am going off of only the description. But it sounds like if it weren't for the hold, Romo would have been sacked by Suh (and turning the ball over on downs).

While holding can be called on any play, it seems like this one could have directly changed this entire play.

He would have been and the hold was pretty egregious. Even Obama, who is in Detroit, chimed in that he'd be aggravated if he was a Lions' fan. I appreciate his sympathies and the NFL's apologies, but... it's over. I want this wound to heal, but people keep picking at it. Enough's enough already.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #261
JeeberD
General Manager

Where's the outrage?!?!?!1?

Report: NFL tells Dallas Cowboys they missed 7 penalty calls against Detroit Lions | MLive.com

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #262
molson
General Manager

I didn't watch the game, but did the Lions players and coaches make any mistakes? Have they apologized?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #263
Arles
Grey Dog Software

refs miss some calls each game - just like a QB misses a few throws or an OL misses a few blocks. The difference is rarely do they make the correct call, announce it, then decide to undo the correct call without looking at any video evidence. The process is what caused the outrage, not the fact that a ref missed a call in a key moment. The refs also missed an obvious hold on Suh during the key 4th and 6 pass to Witten (something the league also admitted this week), but there hasn't been much outcry on that call (which arguably had more of an impact than the pass interference). Now, had they thrown the flag on the Dallas OL, announced the hold, then picked the flag up - you would have seen more outrage.

Last edited by Arles : 01-08-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #264
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The difference is rarely do they make the correct call, announce it, then decide to undo the correct call without looking at any video evidence. The process is what caused the outrage, not the fact that a ref missed a call in a key moment. The refs also missed an obvious hold on Suh during the key 4th and 6 pass to Witten (something the league also admitted this week), but there hasn't been much outcry on that call (which arguably had more of an impact than the pass interference). Now, had they thrown the flag on the Dallas OL, announced the hold, then picked the flag up - you would have seen more outrage.

I've seen them pick up flags - it's tough to nail down the frequency, but definitely happens many times over the course of a season.

I see lots of "obvious" holds missed (thank god they don't call ALL of them). But did any Lions players miss any obvious passes, or tackles, or catches, or kicks, or coaching decisions? Hell, Suh made an "obvious" error of sportsmanship the week before and shouldn't have even been in this game. The players and coaches are making a hell of a lot more money than the refs, if bad calls are inexcusable, surely player mistakes are too.

I honestly thought that the ref whining would tone down some after people saw the alternative with the replacement refs a few years back. So if the NFL refs suck, the replacement refs suck, and as any college football thread here will tell you - the college refs suck too - where are the acceptably good refs? Where are these refs that won't make mistakes and ruin the integrity of the game?

Last edited by molson : 01-08-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #265
Logan
Head Coach

Again, picked up flags happen all the time. Flags thrown, discussed, announced to the stadium and the audience, only to be picked up I've never seen happen before.

You frequently hear announcements that explain why a flag was picked up. "The pass was ruled uncatchable and therefore there is no flag for pass interference".

I didn't see the play live and hadn't even seen a replay yet (was looking at my phone) but my reaction was still "what the hell just happened?!" when there was no penalty enforced because I had heard the announcement a minute earlier.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #266
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Again, picked up flags happen all the time. Flags thrown, discussed, announced to the stadium and the audience, only to be picked up I've never seen happen before.

I had this happen twice in games I did this year. In one instance, the BJ threw an OPI ran into the Referee to tell him the call, the referee gives the preliminary signal, then I realized what the BJ called. I had to go to the BJ and tell him we don't have OPI cause the pass never crossed the LOS. So the R has to get back on the mic and explain.

Second time, my partner called targeting, the referee announces it and ejects the person. But my parenter got the number wrong, which is a big deal because it brings an ejection. I had to ask my partner if he got the # right and he had the deer in headlights look. So we just went with a personal foul. So the R had to get back on the mic and explain.

The long and short of it...I bet this happens quite more than people realize, it's just the magnitude of the game makes it appear as if they don't know what is going on.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #267
molson
General Manager

From what I've been reading, the league encourages the refs to express disagreement, consult, and to not hesitate to pick up a flag. (Basically the opposite of how MLB umps did things for decades). It makes sense that that process will be a little slower and clunkier with refs who aren't used to working with each other. So the one ref jumped the gun. That was a mistake, but pursuant to the league's policy, the refs should not have responded to that mistake by saying, "well, he said it, we're stuck with that now". They're still encouraged to express disagreement and consult and change the call if that's the new consensus. They obviously believed, at the end of the day, it was not a penalty. It would have been easier to just bury that belief and keep the game moving, since the announcement was already made. But with that mindset, you have mistakes compounding mistakes.

I actually wouldn't mind if there was a rule that said that once a call is made and announced, that's it, because it makes a better and more entertaining viewing experience. But I'm in the extreme minority of not giving a shit about bad calls - they're just part of the game to me - no more offensive to me than a dropped pass. But the league has instructed the refs differently. And I think that's what most people want, to have these delays to try to get calls right. But those delays and consultations don't guarantee that everyone will always agree with the result, and they don't even guarantee that the refs will always get the call right. So you'll occasionally have situations like this.

Last edited by molson : 01-08-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #268
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think it's just the manner it went down. I can't remember an instance all season where the flag was thrown, the ref announced the Penalty on the PA system, started to move the chains for a first down and then reversed it without any kind of explanation. Add in the fact that it was done on a nationally televised Wild card game and I can understand why people were outraged.

I'm all for discussing a flag - I've seen a bunch of flags thrown, discussed and then picked up. But I haven't seen the penalty announced on the PA, the chains moved and then the flag picked up without any kind of PA explanation. Atleast Morelli should have gotten back on the PA and said something along the lines of "After a discussion with the team, we've decided that the amount of contact made by the defender didn't constitute pass interference". Then, people would have gotten some kind of explanation. The way it went down live was almost like they forget they called a penalty.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #269
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think it's just the manner it went down. I can't remember an instance all season where the flag was thrown, the ref announced the Penalty on the PA system, started to move the chains for a first down and then reversed it without any kind of explanation. Add in the fact that it was done on a nationally televised Wild card game and I can understand why people were outraged.

I'm all for discussing a flag - I've seen a bunch of flags thrown, discussed and then picked up. But I haven't seen the penalty announced on the PA, the chains moved and then the flag picked up without any kind of PA explanation. Atleast Morelli should have gotten back on the PA and said something along the lines of "After a discussion with the team, we've decided that the amount of contact made by the defender didn't constitute pass interference". Then, people would have gotten some kind of explanation. The way it went down live was almost like they forget they called a penalty.
People wanted to be outraged regardless. How many posts are in this thread saying it's unbelievable that Dez Bryant wasn't flagged on the play for unsportsmanlike conduct? Like anything he did there was egregious enough to warrant a call in the 4th quarter of a playoff game. (Normally I hate the idea that things are called differently in important situations, but that's the exact type of call that should depend on situation. He does that in the first quarter of an early season game, sure toss a flag to prevent further escalation later, but unless he actually delays the game or runs up to an official players should be allowed to show some emotion and reaction in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-08-2015 at 03:55 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #270
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
People wanted to be outraged regardless. How many posts are in this thread saying it's unbelievable that Dez Bryant wasn't flagged on the play for unsportsmanlike conduct? Like anything he did there was egregious enough to warrant a call in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.

Apparently nothing any Dallas Cowboy did - pass interfere, hold, walk out onto the field to argue a call with the referees, etc. - was was egregious enough to warrant a call in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.

That's kinda the problem!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #271
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
People wanted to be outraged regardless. How many posts are in this thread saying it's unbelievable that Dez Bryant wasn't flagged on the play for unsportsmanlike conduct? Like anything he did there was egregious enough to warrant a call in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.
Yeah, violating the rules and committing a flaggable offense isn't egregious enough .
Old 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #272
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

What would the flag have been for Dez Bryant. How do they usually call a non-player on the field without a helmet.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #273
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What would the flag have been for Dez Bryant. How do they usually call a non-player on the field without a helmet.

The focus on the helmetlessness of it seems strange to me. Either a player coming off the bench and onto the field to protest a call in that situation is a penalty or it is not. I do not see how whether his helmet was on or off matters.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #274
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Yeah, violating the rules and committing a flaggable offense isn't egregious enough .
You really want that called then? Should the NBA/NCAA start calling techs every time a coach is on the court? No, as long as it doesn't delay or affect the game we gives refs some leeway there for common sense to prevail. (I also wonder how the response would be different if it was a Jason Witten or Calvin Johnson reacting like that instead of a lightning rod like Dez Bryant.)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #275
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The focus on the helmetlessness of it seems strange to me. Either a player coming off the bench and onto the field to protest a call in that situation is a penalty or it is not. I do not see how whether his helmet was on or off matters.

People were misinterpreting the rule about the helmet. It is only a penalty if someone involved in the play removes their helmet. It doesn't apply to anyone on the sidelines.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #276
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, I think penalties should be called. If they're stupid penalties then get rid of the rule. I don't watch basketball that much but I don't remember coaches storming the court all that often. I thought they just threw chairs.

(I grew up an Indiana fan...)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #277
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
You really want that called then? Should the NBA/NCAA start calling techs every time a coach is on the court? No, as long as it doesn't delay or affect the game we gives refs some leeway there for common sense to prevail. (I also wonder how the response would be different if it was a Jason Witten or Calvin Johnson reacting like that instead of a lightning rod like Dez Bryant.)

Yeah, sure. He deserved to have to face his teammates and apologize for doing something so stupid that cost his team the game.

Do you remember the Oregon player who got flagged for taunting which nullified a 4th down stop as the game was ending, and they went on to lose minutes later? That very easily could have prevented his team from playing in the championship game a few days from now.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #278
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hasn't it been established earlier in the thread that the Dez Bryant situation is a judgment call and not an automatic flag?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #279
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, sure. He deserved to have to face his teammates and apologize for doing something so stupid that cost his team the game.

Do you remember the Oregon player who got flagged for taunting which nullified a 4th down stop as the game was ending, and they went on to lose minutes later? That very easily could have prevented his team from playing in the championship game a few days from now.
Remember it? I was posting in the week 6 thread about what a bad call it was (which was slightly made up for by an earlier, more egregious, call against Arizona)!

I've been watching (and coaching) sports for awhile now, and I tend to like it when players show emotion after a big call or score. As long as the players don't delay any on-field action or touch/threaten/impede an official, a good official will tell them to back up before throwing a flag/T'ing them up. That's my standard - as long as it has no effect on a play or gets in the way of the officials doing their job no way I want any game, but especially a playoff game decided on a technicality instead of on the field.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #280
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Hasn't it been established earlier in the thread that the Dez Bryant situation is a judgment call and not an automatic flag?

I think this is one of the biggest problems facing the NFL's on-the-field product. Too many things are judgement calls. Too many times, officials are left to their own discretion on whether or not to flag someone for a penalty.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #281
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I think this is one of the biggest problems facing the NFL's on-the-field product. Too many things are judgement calls. Too many times, officials are left to their own discretion on whether or not to flag someone for a penalty.

That's the way I look at it too. A lack of institutional standards regarding the application of rules which either aren't clearly defined, or are purposely called differently on the field than how they are defined in the rule book. Those lack of standards lead to a collective level of incompetence, and an individual's bias* is able to fill the void left by that incompetence.

*In this case I don't necessarily mean a team rooting bias. A tendency for one ref to call a 'cleaner' game than another, or an individual ref's opinion about the talent/ethics of a particular player/coach can contribute to bias, and effect his calls (or lack thereof) on the field. Tightening up the rules, and having the refs held to some sort of tightly defined standard could greatly reduce a ref's personal bias.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #282
RedKingGold
College Starter

God, were still arguing about this?!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #283
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Is there something better we should be arguing about?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #284
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

We play the Packers.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #285
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I haven't seen a list of times where it's been called, and maybe Sak can weigh in, but my guess is the judgment is in place so every single time a player runs onto the field it isn't called...times when it could be completely innocent and accidental like thinking a pass was picked off or other instances of possession changing. A player who has come onto the field to argue a penalty seems like exactly when it should be called. What other sort of situations would arise where they'd need to call that, which wouldn't fall under another penalty?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #286
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Lets talk about Tom Brady being a machine.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #287
Kodos
Resident Alien

Let's talk about discount doublechecks!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #288
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
And here's more of what I'm talking about as the language used is changing:

Chris Christie “Personally Pushed” for Jerry Jones to Receive Government Contract | The Big Lead

My guess is he travels to Green Bay on his own dime.

As expected...

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 32m32 minutes ago
This Just In: NJ Governor & Cowboys fan Chris Christie WILL be in Green Bay on Sunday. Will pay for travel & tickets.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #289
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

We can talk about Jim Harbaugh if you'd prefer?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #290
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
We can talk about Jim Harbaugh if you'd prefer?

Lol.

Poor U-M fans. Recuced to that.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #291
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Lol.

Poor U-M fans. Recuced to that.

We had a long reign of dominance from, like, when football was invented until 2005.

Don't worry. When historians look back on the last 8-10 years it'll be nothing more than a blip on the radar. An odd curiosity.

That said, enjoy it while it lasts, Sparty!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #292
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
As expected...

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 32m32 minutes ago
This Just In: NJ Governor & Cowboys fan Chris Christie WILL be in Green Bay on Sunday. Will pay for travel & tickets.

I love that, on some very tenuous level, there's a link between whether Iran will get a nuclear bomb in the next ten years and whether some guy gets comped Packers tickets this weekend.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-09-2015 at 05:48 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote