Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #9301
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Never happy.

Instead of being irritated with a majority who are tired of ignorant idiots who demand all the attention for their stupid proclamations, let's focus on marginalizing them and their oppositional attitudes towards everything.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #9302
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I heard the pill was just a secret vaccination in pill form

I've legitimately seen people claim this is just ivermectin rebranded.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #9303
RainMaker
General Manager

For those who got Moderna or Pfizer, are you doing the opposite one for your booster? Do you just need one of those?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #9304
Kodos
Resident Alien

The LA Times article a page back seemed to say:

1. If you had Moderna, use it again for the booster.
2. If you had Pfizer, there is an argument for switching to Moderna for the booster, but the guy said he was sticking with Pfizer rather than introducing another foreign substance into his body.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #9305
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For those who got Moderna or Pfizer, are you doing the opposite one for your booster? Do you just need one of those?

My wife works for the UW Medicine covid team and they are allowing a choice to mix and match but aren't offering any recommendations. When my wife and I got boosters we stuck with what we originally got (pfizer for me and moderna for her) and most people scheduling at UW seem to be doing the same. I thought about switching, but I'm young-ish enough and healthy enough that I think just getting a booster is the most important thing rather than figuring how to min/max my antibodies.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #9306
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
My wife works for the UW Medicine covid team and they are allowing a choice to mix and match but aren't offering any recommendations. When my wife and I got boosters we stuck with what we originally got (pfizer for me and moderna for her) and most people scheduling at UW seem to be doing the same. I thought about switching, but I'm young-ish enough and healthy enough that I think just getting a booster is the most important thing rather than figuring how to min/max my antibodies.

I got Moderna but willing to do either Moderna or Pfizer booster (not J&J). I'm researching places to get the boosters.

My vaccination was at Publix and got the regular CDC card. But read there are some providers that have a card with a QR code. Anyone here have one of those cards?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #9307
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Unless the science says differently, I'll just take whatever the Walgreens is giving out that day.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #9308
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm excited about both the new anti-virals and mRNA technology coming from the pandemic-related research. There's real promise for progress against a host of diseases.

Lowkey, a real benefit from a tragic pandemic

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #9309
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It takes a special kind of asshole to attack Big Bird for helping kids get over their fear of needles. Naturally, we have just that kind of asshole in one of the most powerful positions in our government.

SI

Old 11-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #9310
QuikSand
lolzcat

I got 1-2 Pfizer, then the Moderna booster, following the leaning of the evidence
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:36 PM   #9311
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It takes a special kind of asshole to attack Big Bird for helping kids get over their fear of needles. Naturally, we have just that kind of asshole in one of the most powerful positions in our government.

The biggest fucking snowflakes.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #9312
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This guy just keeps cranking out the goods.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #9313
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bert and Ernie scandal!
Old 11-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #9314
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Waiting on test results for me and my two kids. This is maddening.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #9315
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Negative!!
Old 11-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #9316
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm sorry Lathum. You will get through this. Stay strong.

Wait. What? Negative is good? But positive is good, right? I'm so confused!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #9317
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We do not have covid.

One of my sons friends tested positive today. They were together all day Thursday.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #9318
sabotai
General Manager

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #9319
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wow Lathum, that had to be a pretty scary time for you. Glad it came back negative
Old 11-09-2021, 10:18 PM   #9320
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Wow Lathum, that had to be a pretty scary time for you. Glad it came back negative

Thanks. It just runs through your mind all the logistical shit you will have to deal with.

I learned through a mutual friend that the mom of the kid who had it lost her taste and smell on Tuesday. She dropped her kid, who is one of my sons best friends, on Thursday. I was initially annoyed, but the thing is I know she is a covid denier. Unmask kids signs in her yard, anti vax stuff on facebook, etc...so I can't be mad at her I know who she is and what goes with the territory.

the weird thing is I really like her. She is a great mom, takes the kids to the waterpark, invloved with her kids, etc...it's such a strange worls we live in.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #9321
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Europe is so much more advanced than us

Vienna brothel offers free entry to visitors willing to get Covid jab on-site
Old 11-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #9322
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"You may get an STD, but we're trying to prevent COVID"

SI

Old 11-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #9323
Edward64
Head Coach

I really want to travel next year.

Looking at this chart, thinking Portugal (or Spain) assuming they don't need a vaccinated person to quarantine for X weeks and assuming the US will let us back in easily. UAE looks interesting too, never been to Middle East other than through an airport.

Surprised about Russia considering their home grown vaccine efficacy is up there. I'd think Putin would do more strong arming on this.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Statistics and Research - Our World in Data
Old 11-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #9324
Atocep
Coordinator

So Oklahoma's governor relieved the Oklahoma National Guard commanding officer of his command because he was following through with the vaccine mandate as directed by the Pentagon. He was replaced by someone that immediately rescinded the mandate for Oklahoma National Guard troops.

It's going to be interesting to see how hard the Pentagon comes down on shit like this.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #9325
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I really want to travel next year.

Looking at this chart, thinking Portugal (or Spain) assuming they don't need a vaccinated person to quarantine for X weeks and assuming the US will let us back in easily. UAE looks interesting too, never been to Middle East other than through an airport.

Surprised about Russia considering their home grown vaccine efficacy is up there. I'd think Putin would do more strong arming on this.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Statistics and Research - Our World in Data

We are scheduled to go to Rome in February. Really hoping it happens
Old 11-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #9326
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Oklahoma's governor relieved the Oklahoma National Guard commanding officer of his command because he was following through with the vaccine mandate as directed by the Pentagon. He was replaced by someone that immediately rescinded the mandate for Oklahoma National Guard troops.

It's going to be interesting to see how hard the Pentagon comes down on shit like this.

I'd love to see the feds take their equipment and tell OK that if they want a guard, they get to pay for it.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #9327
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

If they want old school, then with the importance of chain of command, I'd say that court martials and discharges are in order.

Like Steam?

Old 11-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #9328
Edward64
Head Coach

Basically some countries in western Europe are getting hit again. Eastern European countries are worse.

At this stage, I'm more interested in serious hospitalizations & deaths vs infections as the gauge on how well we/countries are doing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...ng-us-rcna4666
Quote:
In recent weeks, Germany reported record daily numbers of new infections with more than 50,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The Netherlands also reported more than 16,000 cases — the country’s highest number since the pandemic began, prompting the government to begin a partial lockdown on Saturday which is set to last at least three weeks.

As cases surged towards the end of last month Belgium reimposed some Covid restrictions, including a requirement for masks in public places. The country’s Covid-19 pass also has to be shown to enter bars, restaurants and fitness clubs. The passport shows you are either fully vaccinated, have had a recent negative test or have recently recovered from the disease.

The country nonetheless recorded more than 15,000 daily cases on Monday.

Despite the surge, daily death rates in all three countries have remained relatively stable compared with past spikes, and experts have credited high vaccine uptake for weakening the link between the number of cases and hospitalizations and deaths.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #9329
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If they want old school, then with the importance of chain of command, I'd say that court martials and discharges are in order.

National Guard reports to state unless federal government "federalizes" them. There are probably some technicalities to get around this but not clear if that has happened. It'll probably go to some court.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #9330
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
National Guard reports to state unless federal government "federalizes" them. There are probably some technicalities to get around this but not clear if that has happened. It'll probably go to some court.

This probably would allow the government to withhold federal funding for the Oklahoma National Guard, but this is uncharted territory and will likely end up in the courts as you said.

This also creates a massive readiness issue because it makes it difficult to activate this unit. It's also fairly common for units to send 1-2 soldiers to support missions anywhere around the world to fill gaps as needs arise and this would make it pretty much impossible for this unit to support any active duty needs.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:47 AM   #9331
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Basically some countries in western Europe are getting hit again. Eastern European countries are worse.

At this stage, I'm more interested in serious hospitalizations & deaths vs infections as the gauge on how well we/countries are doing.

Access Denied

Germany is back to about 60% of the max level in terms of Covid19 in ICU, albeit big regional differences. The most hit regions (guess where they rank in terms of Vaccination rates !) are near/at peak levels, sometimes approaching 30% of all ICU patients being Covid. Protection via Vaccination dropped a bit but is still massive (7-8x risk reduction for any hospitalisation for example, illustrated here, numbers at bottom are the calendar weeks, no need to say which line is which group of people)
Austria is further along towards hospital overload ... (guess how their vaccination rate compares to Germany !).

It'll happen in some regions of the the US as well. Take one look at Florida who despite a not-terrible vaccination rate (middle of the pack) got clobbered. Only difference between Florida and other states is seasonality. For a variety of reasons Florida (or states around it) have 2 seperate peak seasons (late summer then winter).

Delta is a cold hearted ***** and unless you have 90-95% adult vaccination (yes, yes, in theory infection too but in praxis those regions with lots of infected will often be most against vaccines meaning it's a 'wash') there will be a significant wave. 20-25% without protection just equals a whole shitload of people of which a way higher proportion will catch it than would in prior waves due to 1) Delta and 2) behavioural changes towards normal on both an individual and a collective level. Combine that with the fact that no one mitigation measure is perfect (remember the swiss cheese model) and you have high levels of infectious people running about even with required testing for, say, events. And of course vaccinate people still get it and pass it on. Much less than unvaccinated, especially the first couple months, but again that is offset by Delta being way more infectious.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-15-2021 at 06:44 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:15 AM   #9332
PilotMan
Head Coach

The colder weather rebound seems to be quite strong.. I am guessing Kentucky will find out soon enough. We're about 50% here and the weather has turned much colder the last week.

Like Steam?

Old 11-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #9333
Edward64
Head Coach

Great news for developing countries. Assume it will be "affordable" for them. The quote below on "within 3 days" seems a high bar but better than nothing and assume if it was 1-2 weeks later, it would still help some.

Pfizer should make a nice profit but wonder what the deal mechanics are.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/16/healt...ess/index.html
Quote:
Pfizer said Tuesday it signed a licensing agreement to allow broader global access to its experimental Covid-19 pill.

The agreement with the Medicines Patent Pool, a United Nations-backed public health organization, would allow generic manufacturers to make the pill widely available in 95 low- and middle-income countries covering 53% of the world's population, the company said.

The pill, known as PF-07321332 or Paxlovid, is to be given in combination with an older antiviral drug called ritonavir.

Earlier this month Pfizer announced topline results from its trial saying that an interim analysis -- done before the trial was scheduled to end -- showed an 89% reduction in the risk of hospitalization or death from Covid-19 among people given the drug within the first three days of symptom onset.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #9334
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't know if Ireland is being ultra-conservative but vaccination rate of 89% is pretty darn good and anticipating needing a curfew doesn't bode well for the US.

I'm guessing EU started vaccination in mass Mar-Apr-May (slightly behind the US which started in Feb-Mar) so 6-8 months ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/17/europ...ntl/index.html
Quote:
Ireland has one of Europe's highest vaccination rates, with 89.1% of people over the age of 12 having been immunized, but its booster program has only been available to those over 60, healthcare workers and at-risk people. The government is making plans to offer third doses to those in the 50s and people with underlying health conditions, Martin said.
:
The county also recorded its second highest rate of hospital admission in all of 2021 this week, according to Martin. One of the capital Dublin's main hospitals, the Mater Hospital, moved to ICU surge capacity on Monday and is now ventilating patients outside intensive care, according to state broadcaster RTÉ.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #9335
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Don't know if Ireland is being ultra-conservative but vaccination rate of 89% is pretty darn good and anticipating needing a curfew doesn't bode well for the US.

I'm guessing EU started vaccination in mass Mar-Apr-May (slightly behind the US which started in Feb-Mar) so 6-8 months ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/17/europ...ntl/index.html
Does this mean that 11% of the population is responsible for those severe cases? Or are there more breakthrough severe cases that I was aware? I thought that even waning protection against infection still meant pretty solid protection against severe illness.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #9336
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
Does this mean that 11% of the population is responsible for those severe cases? Or are there more breakthrough severe cases that I was aware? I thought that even waning protection against infection still meant pretty solid protection against severe illness.

That's what I thought and am leaning towards over reaction. But don't really know.

Another article in JP that pretty much says we'll need boosters but doesn't not yet know how long the booster will last.

Please Wait... | Cloudflare
Quote:
Mizrahi explained that the vaccine waned more the further one got away from the original second dose, meaning that people vaccinated in January were more at risk of contracting corona than people vaccinated in February and so forth.

The study was done as the Delta variant was burning across the country and many believed that the variant may be the cause of increased infection in Israel. Mizrahi said the study shows that the variant was likely less of a factor than assumed – though this is still not confirmed.

Will the third dose last longer?

Mizrahi said that it is difficult to tell at this stage. Very preliminary data has started to be collected in various studies that shows antibodies are waning after the third shot, too.
However, he said that the level of antibodies is not the only factor when it comes to immunity. Officials will need to watch and see if infections start going up and then set vaccination policy accordingly, Mizrahi said.

“I don’t think it will take us that long to know,” he concluded.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #9337
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

KY just opened up boosters to all adults. I'll have to wait as I'm scheduled for surgery in a couple weeks but I expect my wife and older daughter will get it soon.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #9338
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
KY just opened up boosters to all adults. I'll have to wait as I'm scheduled for surgery in a couple weeks but I expect my wife and older daughter will get it soon.

And yet, half the state doesn't even have a single shot.

Like Steam?

Old 11-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #9339
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And yet, half the state doesn't even have a single shot.

Not for a lack of supply.

SI

Old 11-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #9340
Edward64
Head Coach

Booster still not opened for all in GA.

I don't know what the stats are but have to believe there is plenty of supply to go around right now. Why not open it to all.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #9341
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like boosters for all adults coming soon. Hopefully before the Thanksgiving break so I can have some time to recover (if needed) during the long weekend.

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration is aiming to authorize booster doses of Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine for all adults as early as Thursday, a move that would expand the number of Americans eligible for additional shots by tens of millions, according to people familiar with the agency’s plans.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s independent committee of vaccine experts has scheduled a meeting for Friday to discuss data on the booster dose’s efficacy and safety. If both the F.D.A. and the C.D.C. sign off this week, they will have acted strikingly quickly — a little more than a week after Pfizer asked for authorization of boosters for everyone 18 and older.

Under that scenario, any adult who received a second dose of the vaccine at least six months earlier would be officially eligible to get a booster as soon as this weekend. The F.D.A. is expected to rule without consulting its own expert panel, which has met frequently during the pandemic to review vaccine data and make a recommendation ahead of a regulatory decision.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #9342
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just scheduled my booster for 11/30. Can't wait for that sweet, sweet, 5G
Old 11-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #9343
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan is now #1 in the country in new cases per the CDC. I knew it would come around to us again. This winter could be really something, and not in a good way.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #9344
Edward64
Head Coach

Was able to signup for my booster at Publix for Sun. Would be nice if booster retained higher efficacy for longer than 6 months.

Per an article above, we'll know soon enough.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #9345
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, probably in about 6 months

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-19-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #9346
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The CVS vaccination site is a giant pain in the ass. You pick a date and then pick a store and then it tells you if any times are available. I went through six days with no times available at four different locations. Sure would be nice if I didn't have to click on each store for each day only to see there are no available times.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #9347
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The CVS vaccination site is a giant pain in the ass. You pick a date and then pick a store and then it tells you if any times are available. I went through six days with no times available at four different locations. Sure would be nice if I didn't have to click on each store for each day only to see there are no available times.

It really is a hot mess.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:24 PM   #9348
PilotMan
Head Coach

I bet most of you could just walk in and get one. Wherever.

Like Steam?

Old 11-20-2021, 01:20 AM   #9349
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I bet most of you could just walk in and get one. Wherever.

I used rite aid and was able to schedule a same day appt within 2 hours. I'm fairly certain I could have just walked in.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:54 AM   #9350
Edward64
Head Coach

Woo hoo. We've reached 70%.

At one time, early on, 70% was the lower end of the bar.

https://www.axios.com/fauci-boosters...9d0924b0b.html
Quote:
By the numbers: 70.6% of adults have been fully vaccinated against the virus in the U.S., according to the CDC.

The word I'm seeing is for this to become endemic aka the new normal.

Quote:
The U.S. confirmed an average of almost 83,500 new COVID-19 cases each day over the past week, up 14% on the previous week, according to CNBC analysis of Johns Hopkins University data.

Fauci told CNBC infection numbers may need to fall to 3,300 a day in order for the U.S. to gain control over the coronavirus.
Quote:
"I think if we do that, and we do it in earnest, I think by the spring we can have pretty good control of this ... endemicity means a lot more people get vaccinated, a lot more people get boosted, and although you don't eliminate or eradicate it, that infection is not dominating your life."