Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #2001
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Also look at it from a Biblical context and look at it from the Bible stories associated with the character's names.

Eli, the Church guy is definitely the most entertaining character in the movie...but any scene that DDL is in, he just steals. I'll finish it tonight, but it's not something I see myself watching again.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #2002
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It also has a great ending
Old 06-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #2003
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Speak for yourself. The ending brought the movie down a significant notch with me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #2004
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Speak for yourself. The ending brought the movie down a significant notch with me.

Agreed.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #2005
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Incredible Hulk makes a big splash with a $55 mil opening weekend. I hope that word-of-mouth manages to keep the momentum rolling. It really is a good film and is a must-see for anyone who saw Iron Man or are comic book fans in general.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #2006
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:

I actually really liked the ending. The final line, delivered after his final act of, I guess vengance would be the right word, was great. He'd managed to alienate or eliminate all of those in his life who saw him as something more than an oil tycoon. I thought it was perfect in it's simplicity for such a complex character.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #2007
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Agreed.

Yup, same here. I noticed Chief, you, Antmeister and I seem to agree.. must be a So. Cal thing :|

The Prestige - 7.5/10

I can't help but compare this to The Illusionist. What made The Illusionist a little better for me was Norton and Giamatti's (sp?) acting.. I dunno, they seemed more believable, more passionate. What I enjoyed about The Prestige was the crazed obsession Bale and Jackman had to one up each other, to a point that it becomes deadly.

Last edited by Lorena : 06-17-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #2008
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I actually really liked the ending. The final line, delivered after his final act of, I guess vengance would be the right word, was great. He'd managed to alienate or eliminate all of those in his life who saw him as something more than an oil tycoon. I thought it was perfect in it's simplicity for such a complex character.

Totally agreed. It was the final act in the grand drama of his isolating and alienating himself from everyone else. His entire life was all about him and what was best for him. It was the only possible ending to his hypercompetitive nature.

And IMO, absolutely brilliant. It elevates the film for me into one of my Top 10 of all time.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #2009
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
The Prestige - 7.5/10

I can't help but compare this to The Illusionist. What made The Illusionist a little better for me was Norton and Giamatti's (sp?) acting.. I dunno, they seemed more believable, more passionate. What I enjoyed about The Prestige was the crazed obsession Bale and Jackman had to one up each other, to a point that it becomes deadly.

I liked both movies. I thought The Illusionist was more formulaic and predictable but still entertaining, while The Prestige had the deeper, better cast and superior twists.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #2010
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I liked both movies. I thought The Illusionist was more formulaic and predictable but still entertaining, while The Prestige had the deeper, better cast and superior twists.

Since we saw the Illusionist first, we may be jaded, but it seemed to have a better pacing than The Prestige. Otherwise I did enjoy the cast of characters in the movie and the revelations at the end were pretty cool. The Illusionist was cool because it almost bordered on the supernatural and the main character seemed to portray loss a lot better which got you much better onboard with the character and carried the movie.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #2011
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Totally agreed. It was the final act in the grand drama of his isolating and alienating himself from everyone else. His entire life was all about him and what was best for him. It was the only possible ending to his hypercompetitive nature.

And IMO, absolutely brilliant. It elevates the film for me into one of my Top 10 of all time.

It's not in my Top 10, and I doubt I'll watch it again...but after seeing the last 30 minutes, it's better than I thought it was after seeing the first 2 hours. The scene with his son was very powerful, and sad...not crying sad, but just heartbreakingly sad - it really showed what a selfish, bitter person he was, and always had been. The only time in the movie I remember him showing ANY compassion for someone else was when the guy died in the oil well/derrick thing.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #2012
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 1/10

Hahahaha. No. I wasted free babysitting from our neighbor for this? F U Lucas. First Jar Jar Binks and now this? DIEDIEDIEDIE!

AGREED! I felt like I wasted some good money on this movie. We were deciding between this and Zohan and felt we made a wrong choice. Zohan is made to be a comedy and this one was unintentional. There are scenes in this movie that totally destroyed any coolness that Indiana Jones had from the previous films.

Yes, I know that you usually have to suspend your disbelief for action films. But when it got to the point where I thought I was watching George of the Jungle, I had already conceded that I made a bad choice.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #2013
miked
College Starter

I just saw The Happening. I don't even have the words to describe how bad this movie was. If you are thinking about watching this, give the $10 to the guy who takes your tickets, ask him to punch you in the nuts, and then leave. You will spend the same amount, feel better, and save 90 minutes. So awful.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #2014
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
The Happening - 8/10

It's good. I don't know exactly what constitutes gore. I guess it's made out to be blood and guts. This movie only has a few moments of that. It does have, on the other hand, many disturbing images that contain no bloodshed. I watch horror movies day and night (sadly), and this had moments of suspense and horror that don't come often for me. Wahlberg and Deschanel and average actors at best. I don't feel as though the performances were as terrible as some made them out to seem. Wahlberg's delivery at the beginning seems a bit...forced, but by the end of the movie it seems in character. Deschanel's eyes are huge in her first scene, and they take a little getting used to, but she holds her own. They don't do great acting jobs, or even good acting jobs. They did not ruin the movie for me.

As far as the science and realism of the film go.....I don't give a fuck about it. I came to watch a movie, not attend biology class.

This is not gore, it's more shock stuff. The acting was so phenomenally bad, it was only outdone by the story (which he wrote himself). I felt like a 3rd grader had written a short story for class and M. Night stole it and added 100 pages of crap.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #2015
rowech
Pro Starter

The Kingdom (7/10) -- This one should have been better than it was. I love Chris Cooper and the other actors aren't bad either. I felt like the movie went to fast for what it was trying to accomplish. There wasn't enough time to build the characters. I think it accomplishes some of what it probably set out to do but felt it could have been more.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #2016
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
This is not gore, it's more shock stuff. The acting was so phenomenally bad, it was only outdone by the story (which he wrote himself). I felt like a 3rd grader had written a short story for class and M. Night stole it and added 100 pages of crap.

I disagree. It was a fantasy story. I think you're looking for realism where there isn't supposed to be very much. It's like watching Lord Of The (bo)Rings and complaining about forced acting and lack of realism. I realize that I lambasted Field Of Dreams in an earlier thread for much of the same. That makes me a hypocrite, I suppose. I just have different expectations when it comes to thrillers/scary movies as opposed to pure sap.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 06-19-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #2017
Kodos
Resident Alien

If you build it, dead people will come. And you will see them.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #2018
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

9/10 - Rambo

Hey, thin story line, lots of bodies and John Rambo? Sign me up. These are the types of movies that some of you probably just absolutely hate and despise, but some nights I don't want to think about what I'm watching and just want to see shit blown up and shot.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-19-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #2019
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
9/10 - Rambo

Hey, thin story line, lots of bodies and John Rambo? Sign me up. These are the types of movies that some of you probably just absolutely hate and despise, but some nights I don't want to think about what I'm watching and just want to see shit blown up and shot.

8/10 I agree with this sentiment. The bad guys are bad. And the good guys kill the bad guys. I only wish I had a blu ray player instead of watching this on DVD.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #2020
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

dola, I suddenly now have the urge to watch Hot Shots Part Deux
Old 06-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #2021
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

2001: A Space Odyssey - 2/10: Are you freaking kidding me? There was maybe 45 minutes, 1 hour of actual plot in a movie that was 2.5 hours long. I imagine that some of the special effects were really cool back in '68, but how fucking long do we have to watch them with music in the background? I remember reading the book and I don't think it was this dull... I thought it was actually decent. This movie made me want to shoot myself.

It only gets 2 because some of the special effects and design are pretty nice. But I just don't get how anyone likes this.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #2022
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
2001: A Space Odyssey - 2/10: Are you freaking kidding me? There was maybe 45 minutes, 1 hour of actual plot in a movie that was 2.5 hours long. I imagine that some of the special effects were really cool back in '68, but how fucking long do we have to watch them with music in the background? I remember reading the book and I don't think it was this dull... I thought it was actually decent. This movie made me want to shoot myself.

It only gets 2 because some of the special effects and design are pretty nice. But I just don't get how anyone likes this.

I also feel its extremely overrated.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #2023
rowech
Pro Starter

Apocalypto (8/10) -- Only thing I didn't like was that I felt it ran a bit too long. Other than that, I thought it was very good.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #2024
Bad-example
College Starter

Spiderman 3 - 3/10 Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. I know he was fighting the Sandman, but it looked more like corn to me.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #2025
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

+1
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #2026
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I luvz 2001, but I'm certainly not going to tell anybody they didn't "get it"...the pacing is undeniably slow as fuck, and if you don't "buy-in" immediately you're in for a looooong ride, and unfortunately, struggling through with the hope of some kind of final payoff will just make things 100 times worse when starbaby and the old man ultimately close the show.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #2027
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Paths of Glory is Kubrick at his best.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #2028
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Barry Lyndon, baby!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #2029
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Barry Lyndon, baby!

What did you say? Sorry, I fell asleep. I must have been watching Barry Lyndon.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #2030
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What did you say? Sorry, I fell asleep. I must have been watching Barry Lyndon.

I remember when I was a little younger and a lot hornier, I saw some hot chick in one of those tight bustiers early in this movie on HBO, and decided to watch it for a bit. Yeah, that was a poor, poor decision.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #2031
Calis
College Starter

Barry Lyndon is really an amazing movie in terms of the look. The natural lighting and look of the whole movie is really impressive.

Horribly dull movie though. Not one I have an interest in watching again.

After watching it again a few weeks back I'd put The Killing up there among Kubrick's best. Great movie.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #2032
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Tracey Fragments - 7.5/10
This is a weirdly-edited movie. It jumps back and forth in time a lot, and there's multiple picture-in-picture scenes. There were some cool effects with this editing/directing technique though, but it was just a bit too confusing. A pretty depressing story, but it kept me interested throughout. I'm a big Ellen Page fanatic, so I might be biased in this review a bit. She did very well though.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #2033
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Get Smart (7/10) I saw this on Friday, and I enjoyed it. I was prepared for it to be awful (critics were about 50-50 on it), and I actually was pleasantly surprised. There were some dumb jokes that sounded forced or didn't come off well, and there were a couple really out there things (like an SUV that apparently doesn't need someone depressing the accelerator to continue driving at a constant speed for miles), but there were several lol moments for me, and I enjoyed Carrell's Smart. All in all, a passably good comedy. Oh yeah, and Anne Hathaway is hot (still).

Old 06-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #2034
Johnny93g
College Starter

Get Smart 5/10

I'm a big fan of the original series, so i felt obligated to see this. I had very low expectations. I didn't think there was any chance I would like this, as it just isnt Get Smart. My main problem....99 WASNT A BITCH!!!!!!! Ann Hathaway's 99 couldnt be farther from the original version.

The only reedeming thing about this movie was Steve Carrel's portrayel of Max. I think he nailed Max as well as anyone not named Don Adams could. There were a few things from the TV series that were mentioned, like Fang, Hymie, the claw (craw) which made me smile, and we did get 3 cameo's from the original series, but overall, it's just a average comedy, that uses the TV show to set up the story.

I also thought it was too long.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #2035
Lorena
Unregistered

The Incredible Hulk - 8.5/10

I loved the raw, brute strength in the last battle. We went into it with little to no expectations because of the trailer. Glad we saw it... the trailer didn't do it justice.

Last edited by Lorena : 06-23-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #2036
Lorena
Unregistered

Neon, I see you in here, should be have stayed after the credits?

Last edited by Lorena : 06-23-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #2037
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Incredible Hulk - 8.5/10

I loved the raw, brute strength in the last battle. We went into it with little to no expectations because of the trailer. Glad we saw it... the trailer didn't do it justice.

I even went out on a limb and said that this movie was on par or even better than Iron Man just because the pacing and the final battle between Abomination and Hulk was well-above what Ironman had.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #2038
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Neon, I see you in here, should be have stayed after the credits?

No.

Spoiler

Can't wait for Antman, Thor, Capt. America...

...and The Avengers!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #2039
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
No.

Spoiler

Can't wait for Antman, Thor, Capt. America...

...and The Avengers!

Yeah, Ant and I talked about it after the move.. man I can't wait!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #2040
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Thin Man 8/10

Loy and Powell have perhaps the best chemistry of any on screen couple that I have ever seen.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #2041
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

5/10

I grew up with the previous three IJ movies and had no great expectations for this one. Very glad I went into it with that frame of mind.

It was very predictable of course, but I could not help noticing how old Harrison Ford looks. I just could not get passed that. The ending? WTF? I think George Lucas was either passed out in his mounds of money or he was absent for about 2/3 of production. The plot for this movie could have been better. Overall, disappointed but not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #2042
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WALL-E - 9/10: Absolutely incredible! Top notch animation and a very fun love story, with some big political/social issues in the background. A great satire on environmentalism, modern consumerism, the big box stores (ie, Wal-Mart, I don't think the name of the movie is totally coincidental), even the cruise industry. Just hits it out of the park. I think its the best movie I've seen all year.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #2043
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
WALL-E - 9/10: Absolutely incredible! Top notch animation and a very fun love story, with some big political/social issues in the background. A great satire on environmentalism, modern consumerism, the big box stores (ie, Wal-Mart, I don't think the name of the movie is totally coincidental), even the cruise industry. Just hits it out of the park. I think its the best movie I've seen all year.

Why do I have to go to an animated movie to get some pc message?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #2044
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hooray for curmudgeons!

Though it has nothing to do with race, so I don't see what's "pc" about it... unless you are talking about personal computers.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-27-2008 at 09:03 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #2045
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And I don't need to see a jerk off to killing flick, but I'm not going to shit on people liking Rambo.

And I'd assume if you were going to use the term "pc" in a derogatory fashion, you'd actually know what it means.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #2046
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

awesome.

nothing better then a fight about WallE
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #2047
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
PC is hardly just about race if that's what you believe. It's politically correct right now to say you support gay rights. It's politically correct right now to support anything involving the environment and especially as it relates to global warming.

Well it isn't just about about race, true, but it is about identity (race being a part).

The environment has NOTHING to do with political correctness. PC is about minimizing offensive remarks about certain groups of individuals. It is not a catch term for left leaning causes.

Quote:
I simply don't want to go see a movie, packaged as a kid's movie and all that it should bring, and instead see a politically charged movie with a completely different agenda. If I go to see Rambo, which I didn't, I know what I'm going to get.

You don't know you are getting a background political message in a Pixar or Disney flick? Really? I mean, Hell, Bambi was all over itself in environmentalist opinions.

And since when did "kid's movie" mean they weren't supposed to have political messages? Harry Potter was loaded down with them for one.

Quote:
Finally, I didn't shit on you for liking it. I merely stated my opinion.

"Why do I have to go to an animated movie to get some pc message?"

Seeing as no one told you that you have to "go to" anything or that you had to "get some pc message" (even if you are using PC incorrectly), it sure sounds like shitting on other people's opinions.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-27-2008 at 10:21 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #2048
Schmidty
Coordinator

When did caring about the Earth become such a political issue? I just don't get how black and white people are nowadays. There is no thinking anymore - it's all reacting and labels.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-27-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #2049
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

meow
Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #2050
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
When did caring about the Earth become such a political issue? I just don't get how black and white people are nowadays. There is no thinking anymore - it's all reacting and labels.

It's not the right place for this conversation and I don't want to get this thread away from what it is. In fact, I'm going back to delete my first posts on the matter.

Last edited by rowech : 06-27-2008 at 10:46 PM.