Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
heybrad
Norm!!!

The Irrational Fears Thread

Something I just mentioned in another thread inspired me to create this one. I admittedly have some strange irrational fears. Some examples:

1. I have a way over the top fear/reaction to spiders/bees/wasps. I've never been stung so I have this thought that must mean I'd have a way worse reaction this much later in life which I'm sure isn't true. Still, I'm the crazy guy jumping around when there's bees, spiders or really most insects.

2. This one's really out there. You know the Pillsbury roll containers? The ones that you knock against the counter and they explode open. I always have this pause when opening them thinking one of these times the metal ending is going to come loose and slit my jugular. I know... it's irrational.

I know I have others. Just curious what irrational fears others around here may have.

heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cracking my neck will one day sever my spine.

Last edited by JPhillips : 06-30-2015 at 04:03 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

Snakes. I get nervous when I go into or near where snakes could be.

I went to a creek to get some granite rocks to build a flower bed. Went with in laws. BIL brought a gun for snakes.
I found a great square one. Lifted it and a snake was under it. I high stepped about 100 feet in 3 seconds. Much to the amusement of my in laws.

Hate snakes.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

Snakes and airline turbulence are my two biggest fears.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
revrew
Team Chaplain

I had Child Protective Services launch an investigation into my family 15 years ago. It was an ugly, ugly witch hunt. Since then, I've had to deal with them once because of a nosy neighbor making up crap and again when my son broke his leg.

But since then, I just break out in cold sweats when I think about them showing up on the front porch. I get stupid, scared almost whenever the doorbell rings. I'm a very protective, even over-protective daddy, and I am not rational about my fear/loathing of CPS.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
AlexB
Pro Starter

Hornets, wasps & bees (in that order) are mine too - never been stung either so may be part of it.

I'm generally OK with bees now - took me a while but worked out that unless I piss off the queen (small q ) it's in their best interest not to sting me (I may also be overestimating their sense of logic!)

I hate it when I'm in the office and a wasp or hornet gets in - have to pretend to be indifferent when inside I'm freaking out!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Bugs and snakes don't bother me, but bugs and snakes that seemingly appear out of nowhere can get me pretty much everytime.

Dark water freaks me out. Lake water...ocean water...pretty much anything that can have random sea creatures or lake monsters.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Snakes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Scorpions, and I live in the friggin Desert!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, bees in general. I try to keep it together as a good example for my kids but inside I am screaming and running away.

Snakes don't bother me as much, but not fond of handling them if I have to. Only time they scared me was when I accidentally stepped on one in bare feet. I was a kid and was coming back from swimming. It curled across my foot and slithered away. That one startled me.

Spiders get me if they are big, and I am not expecting them. We get brown recluse, wolf and black widows around here so I try to look before I reach into the wood pile (and always have gloves on when I do).

Storms get me a little stressed since that moving and going through the derecho (sp?) just a few weeks after moving in. We have plenty of large trees around here and had several come down in that storm, don't want to go through that again.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
lungs
Pro Rookie

Bees. Never was allergic as a kid but reacted starting in my 20s. Not a big fan.

Ever since my house burned down the smell of smoke and the sound of smoke detectors are very unnerving. Naturally after this all happened my dad went out and replaced the smoke detectors in his house and I was sitting there while he tested them. After testing two I had to get up and leave even though I knew he was just testing them.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sandpaper. I hate the texture and feel of it.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FLYING.
I have over 3 million flyer miles.
I still HATE to fly. Get nervous everytime I step on a plane. Like shaking, sweating, mental strength not to turn and run nervous. Once Im seated, even before take off I am totally cool.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

convertibles. I am certain I will flip over in one and be crushed
Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Subby
lolzcat

Chewing aluminum foil.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #16
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Sharks will eat me immediately if I go in the ocean.

Also almost any severe weather with maybe the exception of Blizzards. Thunderstorms, heavy winds, god forbid I'm somewhere with Tornado warnings in effect. All trigger some heavy anxiety.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 PM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
I had Child Protective Services launch an investigation into my family 15 years ago. It was an ugly, ugly witch hunt. Since then, I've had to deal with them once because of a nosy neighbor making up crap and again when my son broke his leg.

But since then, I just break out in cold sweats when I think about them showing up on the front porch. I get stupid, scared almost whenever the doorbell rings. I'm a very protective, even over-protective daddy, and I am not rational about my fear/loathing of CPS.

That's not irrational since it happened.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #18
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Chewing aluminum foil.
???

This one required further explanation.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wasps, hornets, bees, stinging insects. Spiders, I can handle. They are usually on a squashable surface if it comes to that. Bees, I run away like a little girl, pushing through old women and children as I go.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #20
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
1. I have a way over the top fear/reaction to spiders/bees/wasps. I've never been stung so I have this thought that must mean I'd have a way worse reaction this much later in life which I'm sure isn't true. Still, I'm the crazy guy jumping around when there's bees, spiders or really most insects.

This. Exactly this. I've never once been stung in my life, and yet I'm still absolutely terrified of bees/wasps. Spiders not AS much, as they don't have the unfair advantage of flight.

Pretty much...to hell with all insects.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-01-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
???

This one required further explanation.

The thought of putting it in my mouth and chewing it terrifies me.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
This. Exactly this. I've never once been stung in my life, and yet I'm still absolutely terrified of bees/wasps. Spiders not AS much, as they don't have the unfair advantage of flight.

Yep, that's what makes stinging bugs scarier than spiders. They are harder to crush, and are faster than you. And they can come in numbers.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm irrationally afraid that the Clippers will continue to lose stupidly in key home playoff games in the second round for the rest of eternity.

Oh wait, that's rational.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

I have a fear that every time I try to go to Youtube at work, I'll type "Youp***" instead.

Rational or irrational?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe you should make yourself a bookmark.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #26
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Roller coasters and any ride where I'm flung around, lose my stomach, etc. Sorry, losing control like that is just not fun for me.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #27
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'll never go there so it's fine, but I have an honest to goodness irrational fear of Scandinavian countries. Not the countries themselves, but the location. Something about being that high up on the earth gives me chills. But it's also the central location, as I'm sure that as long as my safety concerning frozen lakes and car crashes was assuaged I could easily go to the Northern Territories, for instance. But central, northern Europe, no way man. No way.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have pretty good insurance but the thought of making an awkward movement and really tweaking an Achilles or an ACL has always freaked me out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #29
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I have pretty good insurance but the thought of making an awkward movement and really tweaking an Achilles or an ACL has always freaked me out.

So it's you and Derrick Rose now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I'll never go there so it's fine, but I have an honest to goodness irrational fear of Scandinavian countries. Not the countries themselves, but the location. Something about being that high up on the earth gives me chills. But it's also the central location, as I'm sure that as long as my safety concerning frozen lakes and car crashes was assuaged I could easily go to the Northern Territories, for instance. But central, northern Europe, no way man. No way.

I took care of a Swedish family yesterday at my restaurant. Tipped me 5 bucks on 88. How do you say "Well, you kinda suck a little" in Swedish?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #31
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

that is an impressively irrational fear
Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #32
Peregrine
Pro Starter

For me it tends to be stuff that has happened to me before. I never used to care about bee/wasp stings, and it happened fairly often as a kid. But then several years ago I got stung multiple times in a month or so period and ever since I am totally freaked out by even seeing one, like a visceral reaction.

Also around eight years ago I took the three stairs to my garage to take the trash out and wasn't paying attention and fell. No big injury but ever since then I'm super careful on stairs, always holding the rail etc. It's like I'm playing back in my mind that I will fall down them.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #33
cougarfreak
College Starter

Snakes. X 1000. I don't care if they're 6 inches. I'd rather deal with a lion.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I took care of a Swedish family yesterday at my restaurant. Tipped me 5 bucks on 88. How do you say "Well, you kinda suck a little" in Swedish?

Give them a break, they don't usually tip in Europe so I think they went the extra effort to remember.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #35
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to read that I'm not alone. I'm nervous around snakes and wasps/hornets ... but since they can hurt, don't necessarily think they are irrational.

I think my true irrational fear is I am nervous around balloons, always thinking they will pop.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-03-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #36
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Give them a break, they don't usually tip in Europe so I think they went the extra effort to remember.

Correct, the "thanks" is government mandated in Sweden.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #37
heybrad
Norm!!!

When I drive over tall bridges I have an irrational fear that I'm going to find a way to just drive off the side. I think it's because I get a bit of a vertigo feeling if I look over the side.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #38
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ever been a waiter?

Old 07-05-2015, 02:19 AM   #39
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think my true irrational fear is I am nervous around balloons, always thinking they will pop.

I don't like balloons at all, but I wouldn't say I am afraid of them. The noise that happens when someone rubs them has the effect to make every hair on my body stand up, give me goosebumps, and make a pain shoot down my spine. I have no idea why. I don't go out of my way to avoid them but I loathe them to my core. I don't mind them popping...quite the opposite; I would love to pop every single balloon I come across.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:29 AM   #40
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Rational or Irrational?

Old 07-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #41
Schmidty
Coordinator

Suffocation and any water that I can't see under.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The fear of getting Gone Girl'd.

(just watched the movie)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #43
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
When I drive over tall bridges I have an irrational fear that I'm going to find a way to just drive off the side. I think it's because I get a bit of a vertigo feeling if I look over the side.

I have a shade of the bridge thing, and it's pretty close to this. It's not that I actually think that the bridge is going to collapse (though I do have those thoughts, I guess), it's more that it just seems to be too easy for a driver, like me, to turn the wheel abruptly (or something) and plunge.

I believe there's a complicated French term for the feeling, I don't know of an English counterpart. Camus talked about it, and I think nailed it...paraphrased as "it's not fear of falling, it's fear of jumping."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #44
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I have a severe case of omphalophobia. That one scene from 'The Cell' almost made me throw up when I first saw it. People who know what omphalophobia is will know exactly which scene I speak of.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-19-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #45
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I have a shade of the bridge thing, and it's pretty close to this. It's not that I actually think that the bridge is going to collapse (though I do have those thoughts, I guess), it's more that it just seems to be too easy for a driver, like me, to turn the wheel abruptly (or something) and plunge.

I believe there's a complicated French term for the feeling, I don't know of an English counterpart. Camus talked about it, and I think nailed it...paraphrased as "it's not fear of falling, it's fear of jumping."

+2

This was worse when I was a kid and wasn't actually in control of the car, but it's still there a little now.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #46
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I have a severe case of omphalophobia

Had to google it, I've never heard of that before.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #47
PilotMan
Head Coach

Scorpions and heights, but I don't consider either of those irrational, lol.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #48
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I have a severe case of omphalophobia. That one scene from 'The Cell' almost made me throw up when I first saw it. People who know what omphalophobia is will know exactly which scene I speak of.

So I have to ask, do either "innies" or "outies" provoke more fear than the other? Also are you afraid to look at yourself in the mirror? Or is it just other people that brings fear.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #49
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Had to google it, I've never heard of that before.

Inspired me to look up the official word

Globophobia - fear of balloons phobia. Now I know.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #50
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So I have to ask, do either "innies" or "outies" provoke more fear than the other? Also are you afraid to look at yourself in the mirror? Or is it just other people that brings fear.

I couldn't date a girl with an outie. Innies are generally fine. I can look at them, but once they begin getting manipulated in some way, I'm out. Belly button rings have always been a sticking point. People intentionally playing with their belly buttons in front of me makes me queasy. Its friggin' weird, and I don't really know how to explain why I have such an odd affliction. When my ex and I had our kid, I was surprisingly able to deal with the umbilical cord being partially attached for a while. I was expecting to nearly vomit every time I looked at it, heh.

It feels awkward as hell telling women prior to sexual contact that they must stay away from my belly button at all costs. It takes me completely out of my element... But it is a good measuring stick when it comes to seeing how empathetic they are capable of being.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote