Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #1251
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

They were likely leaked by the league. Probably because Goodell wasn't too happy with the names Gruden called him.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #1252
GrantDawg

Btw, they were sent to a work email. So no. You aren't afforded privacy to work emails. Always remember that.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-11-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #1253
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Thanks for that! That would explain why they were reading them.

My follow up question would be. Since his racist emails had nothing to do with what they were searching for isn't there some sort of privacy law against this sort of thing. Not defending it but I am just curious. This could open up an entire new can of worms in the NFL as I think Lathum said above. I would speculate a lot of these old time coaches think like Gruden.

NFL coaches don't have a union, so they have no privacy.

And this became a thing b/c the NY Times somehow got the emails. This stuff stayed buried for a decade otherwise. The leak might have come from the feds, not an NFL insider.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #1254
21C
College Prospect

I was trying to look up if Gruden had an ownership stake as part of signing with the Raiders since I remember hearing something about that at the time. Reports indicate that he did not but the $100 million deal was guaranteed. Would that be paid out in full?
Old 10-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #1255
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I was trying to look up if Gruden had an ownership stake as part of signing with the Raiders since I remember hearing something about that at the time. Reports indicate that he did not but the $100 million deal was guaranteed. Would that be paid out in full?

Most contracts have a "morality" clause. My guess is they fight it out for awhile and reach a settlement.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #1256
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post

I'm not an employment lawyer, but I'd think so. I can't see how that would be a firing for cause.

I also think that the NFL probably agreed to slip Mark Davis a check to cover it.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #1257
QuikSand
lolzcat

Under ordinary circumstances, if he were fired he'd get the balance of the deal, if he resigned he did not. No idea what nonsense the clown up in Oakland cooked up back in the PF Chang's.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #1258
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Under ordinary circumstances, if he were fired he'd get the balance of the deal, if he resigned he did not. No idea what nonsense the clown up in Oakland cooked up back in the PF Chang's.

That's why I thought it was strange that he resigned. If it meant missing out on $60 million then you would think he would say "fire me".
Old 10-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #1259
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
PF Chang's.

nice
Old 10-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #1260
21C
College Prospect

Special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia named as interim HC.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #1261
molson
General Manager

I'm concerned about the owner of this website.

Is Gruden gone yet?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:19 PM   #1262
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kickers suck.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #1263
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
They were likely leaked by the league. Probably because Goodell wasn't too happy with the names Gruden called him.

Is there a chance the Vegas owner was in on this, too, wanting to get rid of Gruden on the cheap?

Like I don't think anyone goes "hey, feds, investigate us" because you never know what unexpected stuff could get turned up.

But if you wanted to get out from under a dumb 10 year contract, you might have some people inquire about what damning stuff was in there

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-12-2021 at 11:12 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #1264
GrantDawg

Gruden is like "done, done" from football, right? There is like no way he could go back to being a commentator or anything. He is pretty much in Pate Rose type position now even without the official lifetime ban.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #1265
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gruden is like "done, done" from football, right? There is like no way he could go back to being a commentator or anything. He is pretty much in Pate Rose type position now even without the official lifetime ban.

He'll be rehired by the Raiders in like 3 years having "learned his lessons".
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #1266
molson
General Manager

I think he should start a subscription email newsletter.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #1267
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Is there a chance the Vegas owner was in on this, too, wanting to get rid of Gruden on the cheap?

Like I don't think anyone goes "hey, feds, investigate us" because you never know what unexpected stuff could get turned up.

But if you wanted to get out from under a dumb 10 year contract, you might have some people inquire about what damning stuff was in there

SI

I'm confused by what you are saying.

As I understand it, the WFT investigation was meant to dig up all the stuff, expected and unexpected, that was (is?) going on in that organization. Jon Gruden's name popped up in Bruce Allen's and probably Jay Gruden's email.

The information from this investigation was always going to be leaked based on the issue that went on with WFT. Once Gruden's emails pop up and the contents are revealed, his position becomes untenable there.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #1268
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

All he has to do is join Nick Saban's rehabilitation coaching staff and he will be fine. That route has been well traveled and very successful.

Hell, he might get his dream job of being the head coach of Notre Dame after two or three years.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #1269
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Mark Davis is really really weird. And every indication is that he loves Gruden. I think that this was thrust upon him by the league.

He does not strike me as a scheme to get out of a bad contract type owner.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #1270
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I mean that haircut has lasted for a long time
Old 10-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #1271
QuikSand
lolzcat

...he's not exactly a "oh god what have I done" sort of guy
Old 10-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #1272
miami_fan
Coordinator

So uh, who else was sending emails to the WFT organization during that time? Who was sending emails out of that organization and to who? What did those emails say?

Old 10-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #1273
cuervo72
Head Coach

Gruden could maybe run for Lt. Gov. of North Carolina.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #1274
bob
College Starter

Or just part of this years Super Bowl halftime show
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #1275
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I'm confused by what you are saying.

As I understand it, the WFT investigation was meant to dig up all the stuff, expected and unexpected, that was (is?) going on in that organization. Jon Gruden's name popped up in Bruce Allen's and probably Jay Gruden's email.

The information from this investigation was always going to be leaked based on the issue that went on with WFT. Once Gruden's emails pop up and the contents are revealed, his position becomes untenable there.

I don't think anything has leaked from the investigation but the Gruden stuff. To me it seems like someone who had an axe to grind with him.

It's good news for Raiders fans. Gruden was a fraud. The equivalent of Larry Coker who rode fame because he had a personality. Hopefully they hire someone competent to take over.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #1276
RainMaker
General Manager

And thanks for Khalil Mack I guess.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #1277
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Mark Davis is really really weird. And every indication is that he loves Gruden. I think that this was thrust upon him by the league.

I think the league made it clear that he had to resign or be expelled from the league. If there's a payout, I wouldn't be surprised if the league covered that, as well.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #1278
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. Mark Davis may have the worst hair ever.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #1279
Swaggs
Coordinator

I had never seen (or really heard of) Mark Davis and then saw a Frank Caliendo sketch where he played both Gruden and Davis. I was real, real confused and didn’t get it until I googled him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #1280
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I know we have a couple of Dolphins fans here. I don’t know how closely yall have been watching the season. What’s the outlook? Before the season, I would’ve held them up as the example of how to build a team. Collect assets, get a good coach, grab the QB when he’s available.

But based on the record, things seem to really be off the rails. What is your take on it?

A horrific offensive line and having two offensive coordinators is not only dumb, it's been a massive failure. Plus Jacoby has been so bad in relief of Tua, people have been calling for Sinnett to get his shot.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #1281
thesloppy
Pro Starter

How can you guys not know the legend of Mark Davis, his haircut, his minivan with a VHS player, his 'office' at PF Changs & his silver and black pigs?? You're depriving yourself. Here's the profile that gave us a peak:

Are Mark Davis and his Raiders leaving Oakland?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:45 PM   #1282
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
How can you guys not know the legend of Mark Davis, his haircut, his minivan with a VHS player, his 'office' at PF Changs & his silver and black pigs?? You're depriving yourself. Here's the profile that gave us a peak:

Loved rereading that

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #1283
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Buccs removing Gruden from their ring of honor
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:04 PM   #1284
thesloppy
Pro Starter

As others have mentioned it's fascinating that this is all still rippling from the investigation into Washington's back office, and Jon Gruden's career is going up in a bonfire in an entirely different conference, while Dan Snyder has continued to avoid any and all repercussions. It certainly feels like the public is only seeing a fraction of this story & probably a distorted fraction at that.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #1285
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

That was interesting…
Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #1286
spleen1015
Coordinator

Watch the Andrew Brandt interview from the Dan Patrick Show this morning. He brings up some interesting questions about Gruden. It will be on Youtube at some point today.

There are tens of thousands of emails and we're only getting the Gruden bits. Someone wanted him fired. They released the first one Friday and when he wasn't fired, they released the second set.

If Gruden gets fired for this, what if Jerry Jones did the same thing? What happens?
Old 10-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #1287
miami_fan
Coordinator

To me, the Gruden and Snyder discussions are separate. Efforts to combine them feel like efforts to defend and deflect from Gruden. I am not saying that is definitely what is happening, just what it feels like to me.

I did not realize until yesterday that no written report about the findings of the WFT investigation. There should have been a report. They should release all the emails and the other information confirming or denying the allegations . To do otherwise is wrong IMO.

AND ALSO

Gruden's emails did see the light of day and his situation played out the way it did.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #1288
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

If Gruden gets fired for this, what if Jerry Jones did the same thing? What happens?

Ask Donald Sterling
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #1289
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yea, kind of touching on what miami_fan said it feels a bit like defending Gruden to respond to him catching the consequences of his own actions with "what about XXXXX??" but it's also hard NOT to have that kind of guttural response considering the Goodell-era NFL's history of arbitrary and performative punishment & the (what I assume is) common assumption that many/most of the NFL's good-old-boy owners harbor beliefs much worse than Jon Gruden was dumb enough to put into his work emails and/or actively supporting coaches/players that have done worse (e.g. Tampa Bay removing Gruden from their Ring of Honor while actively ignoring Antonio Brown's history).
Old 10-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #1290
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

That really is a great read, interesting guy. And loveable in a misfit toy kind of way.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #1291
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That really is a great read, interesting guy. And loveable in a misfit toy kind of way.

He's definitely more likeable than someone like Jerry Jones. It seems like his life was formed entirely around Al's constant rejection.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #1292
BYU 14
Coordinator

I got that same vibe, amazing how comparatively humble and unpretentious he is.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:40 PM   #1293
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
To me, the Gruden and Snyder discussions are separate. Efforts to combine them feel like efforts to defend and deflect from Gruden. I am not saying that is definitely what is happening, just what it feels like to me.

I get where you're coming from, but to me they're linked. With what's come out on Gruden, hasta la bye bye and don't let the door hit you on your way out, but I also agree with those who say that we know there's a lot of other terrible things going on that we don't know about - heck, some that we do - and what ends up happening is the NFL is about winning and profit and those go above all else almost every time.

I don't think it's at all a given that what happened to Sterling would happen to Jones in the NFL. The NFL culture isn't the same, and Goodell isn't Adam Silver. I think it's far more likely that Gruden is just the tip of the iceberg, than it is 'wow, this guy was way out of line, glad we found out, buh-bye'. I don't think we know what, if anything, would be enough for the NFL to get rid of an owner.

To your other point, I agree with the goal of them being transparent on the Washington investigation, and if they did that it would be a great way of beginning to move towards a situation where the above conclusions can be walked back. I don't see anything in their past and current behavior though to indicate there's more going on that PR and the likelihood that this came out because and only because somebody wanted Gruden gone for whatever reason and decided to make it happen. He still deserves every inch of the consequences for his actions, but there's more here than that.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-13-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #1294
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I get where you're coming from, but to me they're linked. With what's come out on Gruden, hasta la bye bye and don't let the door hit you on your way out, but I also agree with those who say that we know there's a lot of other terrible things going on that we don't know about - heck, some that we do - and what ends up happening is the NFL is about winning and profit and those go above all else almost every time.

I don't think it's at all a given that what happened to Sterling would happen to Jones in the NFL. The NFL culture isn't the same, and Goodell isn't Adam Silver. I think it's far more likely that Gruden is just the tip of the iceberg, than it is 'wow, this guy was way out of line, glad we found out, buh-bye'. I don't think we know what, if anything, would be enough for the NFL to get rid of an owner.

To your other point, I agree with the goal of them being transparent on the Washington investigation, and if they did that it would be a great way of beginning to move towards a situation where the above conclusions can be walked back. I don't see anything in their past and current behavior though to indicate there's more going on that PR and the likelihood that this came out because and only because somebody wanted Gruden gone for whatever reason and decided to make it happen. He still deserves every inch of the consequences for his actions, but there's more here than that.

To me it boils down to this.

Are we looking for the rest of the emails to be released to give us evidence about the toxic workplace culture of the WFT (the actual reason for the investigation) or in the NFL as a whole or are we we looking for the rest of the emails to give us evidence that Gruden is not the only guy or gal in the league who is sending problematic emails?

This is not to say I don't want to know why Gruden was targeted, why I only have heard about his emails at this time and not others and why I have not heard about the terrible things others in the league specifically Daniel Snyder have done ? I would. But that does not mean I am skipping over what I know about Gruden's emails to run to ask those other questions. I am comfortable dealing with that known uncomfortable information first.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #1295
miami_fan
Coordinator

After the last week, yeah

Old 10-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #1296
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It occurs to me that Gruden probably has always considered Mark Davis pathetic. And he probably sent a lot of emails along the lines of “ this guy is such a lonely loser that he is paying me $100 million to basically hang out with him. I should have asked for 200 million LOL.“

I can see why the NFL would not leak those emails making fun of an owner. And it would also explain why Mark Davis has been out of sight the last few days.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #1297
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
It occurs to me that Gruden probably has always considered Mark Davis pathetic. And he probably sent a lot of emails along the lines of “ this guy is such a lonely loser that he is paying me $100 million to basically hang out with him. I should have asked for 200 million LOL.“

I can see why the NFL would not leak those emails making fun of an owner. And it would also explain why Mark Davis has been out of sight the last few days.

I did see a quote from Mark Davis the yesterday, but it was basically "why don't you ask the NFL?" implying that he felt he was out of the loop. From his perspective, I can see being a little salty about an investigation into someone else's shitty culture leading to his team taking all of the consequences (that's-what-you-get-for-signing-Jon-Gruden-for-10-years aside).

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-14-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #1298
miked
College Starter

Why does London always get the shittiest games every year. I swear every time I see a London game on the schedule, it's like JAX-NYJ or some poop like that. Do fans in England not want to see GB-TB or something good?
Old 10-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #1299
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think part of it is that Jacksonville has been pushing to become "Britain's Team" and they volunteer to play there whenever they get a chance.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #1300
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Why does London always get the shittiest games every year. I swear every time I see a London game on the schedule, it's like JAX-NYJ or some poop like that. Do fans in England not want to see GB-TB or something good?

On his podcast this week, Robert Mays shouted "Look at this game and tell me there's a God!"