Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

EBFL 2008 Season Kickoff - Monday, July 28th!

July 28th is going to be the kickoff of the league. It's just under two weeks from the games release, and will allow us ample time to see if we need to use sliders, or switch game difficulty. Also it allows us to get used to the game and our teams, as well as have fun in solo dynasties we may wish to run.

So unless a bunch of people will be out of town, this is the starting date for our league.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Sweet - I'm off that week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Looking forward to it!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
BigDPW
College Prospect

Can't wait!
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have been doing alot of 08 and the demo the last couple days... I really like the L-stick shimmy you can do to break down guys in the demo...
Old 07-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

It will be interesting for me. Last year was the first year in the history of the EA Football franchises that I haven't purchased one or the other (I only had a PS2 until Christmas). So I am way out of practice.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
cmp
Pro Rookie

Can't wait to get started. Just got the game so I'm gonna start getting ready.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
BigDPW
College Prospect

Here is the announcement of the patch from the OS boards... The author is a NCAA team member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT View Post
We have identified and fixed the bug causing the game to crash when editing rosters. This bug also causes teams to disappear and team ratings to change.

The patch is being tested tonight, and assuming all goes well it will be submitted tomorrow for certification. The expected release is in 5-10 days.

Until the patch, we recommend you cease editing rosters. Rosters that have been corrupted by the bug will not work after the patch. If you have a roster in progress and have not encountered any freezes or missing teams, it will work after the patch. There is a possibility a roster can be corrupt and not have surfaced any problems yet. This is why we recommend that you stop or back up your work among multiple save files.

We are also fixing the bug where the depth chart gets reordered after editing a player with this patch.

These are the ONLY fixes in this patch. We are planning on a 2nd patch with many fixes, but we had to get this one out the door.

We appreciate everyone's patience on this matter.

Special thanks to CDJ, 21SEC, and Fairdale Kings for helping us track this down.

Should we hold off on starting all of our leagues until this patch is out and "clean rosters" are assured?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Obviously, I don't know what the EBFL is doing, but I think we in the NOFL are going to hold off since it isn't that far away. I'd rather not use a potentially corrupt roster file and have months of gameplay become bad because of an issue with a roster file. I'll probably hold off on my solo dynasty until "clean" rosters are released as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Obviously, I don't know what the EBFL is doing, but I think we in the NOFL are going to hold off since it isn't that far away. I'd rather not use a potentially corrupt roster file and have months of gameplay become bad because of an issue with a roster file. I'll probably hold off on my solo dynasty until "clean" rosters are released as well.

I agree that we wait for the patch before starting. IF it comes out when estimated it COULD eliminate possible problems down the road.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yeah, we'll hold off until the patch just to be safe.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Finally got a chance to give Oklahome State a go against Mike's Tar Heels.

You guys are fucked.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #13
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Here is the announcement of the patch from the OS boards... The author is a NCAA team member.

Should we hold off on starting all of our leagues until this patch is out and "clean rosters" are assured?

The latest post from the EA rep is that they still have not submitted this to MS or Sony. I do not expect this to be ready by the 28th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT View Post
It IS in the certification process, but it hasn't been approved by central quality control yet. When it is, it will go to Sony and MS for their approval and release.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 07-20-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
BigDPW
College Prospect

Probably would still be best to wait... It will give us time to figure out sliders too...

I am a bit worried about playing the CPU on Heisman sliders but I will have to try them out. Seems like we will all get our *sses kicked if we play on heisman with our teams (offline games)...
Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah, I'd really rather play AA.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

My general thought is AA with Sliders, but in the past I have seen Heisman with sliders be pretty good.

There are posts in the big thread about serious problems in online dynsaties.

*sigh*

Quote:
Old 07-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Finally got a chance to give Oklahome State a go against Mike's Tar Heels.

You guys are fucked.

Played again last night and he is right. I was down 42-0 in the 3rd qtr before begging for mercy!

........note to self DO NOT SCHEDULE OK ST IN NON CONFERENCE....

Last edited by Mike1409 : 07-27-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

When shall we start? I am fine waiting longer to make sure as much as possible is ironed out.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Mike1409
High School Varsity

I would want to wait for rosters first, if the patch hits this week, I would expect that about 3-4 days later that rosters are released.

Have we discussed any sliders? Do we have any that have worked? I have tried Heisman and AA and am still not sure what is best.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Ironhead
College Prospect

So, with the roster patch likely to hit next week should we start gearing this up a bit?

Given all the quirkiness that has occurred with the CPU and how fun human vs human games are it might be a good idea to condense down to 3 conferences.

Last edited by Ironhead : 08-02-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #21
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
So, with the roster patch likely to hit next week should we start gearing this up a bit?

Given all the quirkiness that has occurred with the CPU and how fun human vs human games are it might be a good idea to condense down to 3 conferences.

I wouldn't mind that too much...
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:

I don't like this idea, but am open to discussion. Some of us have gotten used to the teams we selected.

How can we implement this?

Do we redraft completely?
Do we choose conferences and the one eliminated those teams get to pick from the remaining teams?
Do we take the last conference in and redistribute them?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #23
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
I don't like this idea, but am open to discussion. Some of us have gotten used to the teams we selected.

How can we implement this?

Do we redraft completely?
Do we choose conferences and the one eliminated those teams get to pick from the remaining teams?
Do we take the last conference in and redistribute them?

I only really bring it up because team selections were left a little murky at the end. DeToxRox had left the option of people switching teams within conference if they did not like the team they picked. If people want to lock in current teams that is cool too. Just looking forward to starting the league.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #24
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
I only really bring it up because team selections were left a little murky at the end. DeToxRox had left the option of people switching teams within conference if they did not like the team they picked. If people want to lock in current teams that is cool too. Just looking forward to starting the league.

I agree with that.

We also need to discuss all the league issues. (difficulty level, sliders, future schedules, jobs other issues)

Sounds like we need some polls!

Last edited by Mike1409 : 08-02-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

I recommend banning Supersim and FCS teams, from our limited experience over in RFL.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #26
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

What is the issue with Supersim?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #27
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
What is the issue with Supersim?

The clock is completely broken....way too many plays, eventually leading to 150-7 scores and such.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #28
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

Maybe not broken, but definitely not meant for 7 minute quarters.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd say it is safe to say it is broken.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #30
wade moore
lolzcat

I'd also like to propose considering a house rule for punt fair-ctaching. Punt returns are just way, way too easy.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #31
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'd also like to propose considering a house rule for punt fair-ctaching. Punt returns are just way, way too easy.

Second this...also, as for the teams, I definitely think that we should condense to three or even two conferences to ensure that about half of each person's schedule is human vs. human rather than deal with the computer issues. Hell, it may be, if we all agreed, fun to do one conference but that means we've got a HUGE range of good teams to bad teams being controlled by humans.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #32
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Second this...also, as for the teams, I definitely think that we should condense to three or even two conferences to ensure that about half of each person's schedule is human vs. human rather than deal with the computer issues. Hell, it may be, if we all agreed, fun to do one conference but that means we've got a HUGE range of good teams to bad teams being controlled by humans.

I don't agree with the conference contractions. Part of the fun of the dynasty is the long term career aspect. That is why we are playing a dynasty instead of a league.

If every player is in 1-2 conferences it will stifle competition between the top and the bottom teams. It will also mean people will struggle to compete and then leave/quit and we will be searching for players all the time. With the 4 conference setup the players will have some human vs human comp and the top teams may face off more often in bowls and BCS matchups.

If playing the comp is a bad thing, wouldn't you rather have those meeting in the regular season and non conference matchups rather than bowl and NC games?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm never intentionally punting it to anyone. I always try to punt out of bounds as I'd rather give up a few yards on the kick than the returns that are ridiculous.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #34
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
I don't agree with the conference contractions. Part of the fun of the dynasty is the long term career aspect. That is why we are playing a dynasty instead of a league.

If every player is in 1-2 conferences it will stifle competition between the top and the bottom teams. It will also mean people will struggle to compete and then leave/quit and we will be searching for players all the time. With the 4 conference setup the players will have some human vs human comp and the top teams may face off more often in bowls and BCS matchups.

If playing the comp is a bad thing, wouldn't you rather have those meeting in the regular season and non conference matchups rather than bowl and NC games?

That's fine by me, just an idea that another dynasty I'm joining is doing. Everyone is getting a MAC team for the first year and then job progression, conference-hopping, etc. will disperse us as seasons go but early on it just keeps the cpu vs. player issues to a minimum. I'm fine with staying where we're at but have been really surprised at how much fun player vs. player has been, I've always just done solo dynasties.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #35
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm never intentionally punting it to anyone. I always try to punt out of bounds as I'd rather give up a few yards on the kick than the returns that are ridiculous.

Well - part of what I'm thinking about here is when we play against the CPU.

As for contraction - I think my head will explode if we magically decide to contract now.

Quote:
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well - part of what I'm thinking about here is when we play against the CPU.

As for contraction - I think my head will explode if we magically decide to contract now.

My bad. I'd definitely see some value in a rule for that (although it will hopefully be fixed in a few weeks with the 2nd patch.)
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sorry, I keep forgetting to respond to this thread. I say we keep the leagues as is, only because people are comfortable with their teams by now, and because it'll allow us to roll once the patch is out.

As far as house rules inside the game, well, we will determine those as we go along. Obviously supersim and the FCS teams are not allowed, but if PR's get too out of control and such vs the computer, perhaps we make some rules in that regard.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #38
BigDPW
College Prospect

I don't think we need to contract to 3 conferences...

I do think we need to outlaw supersim unless you are already in the 4th quarter - or maybe completely.

Not sure we need to have to fair catch on every punt... I have never returned one for a TD and rarely get more than 15 20 yards out of the returns... As for the CPU I will punt away from the CPU if I can... (also rarely return kickoffs beyond the 35-40...)

----

Also I really hope I can get this connection thing figured out to guys online...

I am running out of options... I can't believe I never had trouble until late last week... Any help would be huge because I really want to play against you guys... Check out my thread in the main forum if you want to help me figure this thing out...

Last edited by BigDPW : 08-05-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #39
wade moore
lolzcat

I have seen a punt return for a TD in 50-75% of my online games fwiw.

Quote: