Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #101
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i can play with a wide range of fellas.

mmmmm.

Requesting this post be moved to Pumpy's thread.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #102
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

dola

I agree that Time zones should definetely be taken into consideration. Exceptions should definetely be made to those who work at odd times through, and to those losers/lucky bastards who work from home and have wide open availability. I for one live near San Francisco, work a 7-4 schedule, head straight to the gym, and am usually good for a game around 6-6:30 any day of the week. I usually crash out around 11 - 11:30 at night. I'll update the "for sure in" post with time zones if you guys want to post yours.

Length of quarters...I've always been partial to 7. I think that with 8 minute quarters the stats balloon too much, and 6 minute quarters you just feel rushed.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-12-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #103
Anthony
Banned

i can do 7 minute quarters. that seems like a good compromise. i prefer AA level.

this league is gonna be a lot of fun. glad to see MP online dynasty finally in a game.

maybe, to simulate job oferrings, we can do the following:

you have to get a bowl appointment. based on what school you start off with will determine which schools you can jump to. start off with a powerhouse, you can only move to a school that has an opening that is within 5 spots on the ranking list. if you start off with a doormat small school you can move to any school that is no more than 10 spots on the ranking list. so an example would be like this:

i start off with Ole Miss, and take them to some crummy bowl game, so i'm eligible to move to a better team if i want. i finish the season as the 32nd ranked team. i wants to move to USC, which is open (controlled by the CPU), but USC is ranked #12 overall. that's more than 10 spots away so i can't do it. i could go to Florida State U ranked #23 at the end of the season if i wanted.

so you go to a bowl game, become eligible to move to another team, and based on whether you have a small school or a huge school will determine how much better of a school you can jump to.

something like that.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #104
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Whatever works for me really. I don't think I'll be changing schools at any point regardless. Hell Atlantic's system seems to make enough sense. Do you think that one bowl game constitutes enough to make a change? Would Orgeron have gotten offers from top 25 schools if he finished #32 and lost the *insert crummy SEC bowl* after one year?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #105
Anthony
Banned

that's just the model, it can be tweaked. i know i don't want to be jumping around all the time, especially if i like the guys in my conference i'd want to play with them (mmmmm) frequently. i just felt my way was good in preventing guys with good teams jumping to an even more awesome team. i prefer a mid-to-small school, that way when i beat you i don't have to hear it was cuz i powned you with USC.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #106
cmp
Pro Rookie

I would definitely want in if there is a spot.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #107
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd prefer no switching teams. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #108
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
I would definitely want in if there is a spot.

What's your availability/time zone?

(for HA) asl?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #109
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
What's your availability/time zone?

(for HA) asl?

I'm in the Eastern time zone and should be available most nights after 5.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #110
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

me 2.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #111
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm Central Time Zone, but my nightly hours are weird. I'm usually home by 8pm, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays I run the FOFC-BBCF league sims between 8pm and 9pm.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #112
Galaxy
Coordinator

Will the game (at least online) have ratings such as program prestige and coach prestige?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I'm fine with that as well. If there are job changes, I think it has to be based on a minimum of 2 seasons of success (I'd prefer 3.) I think once we break guys down into leagues, we need to have some polls to determine what rules the majority wants.

I'm in the central time zone, and I can get online one night a week from 7:00 to 10:00 PM and most of the weekend.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-12-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #114
Galaxy
Coordinator

Just a quick, general proposal.

1) You must have at least back-to-back winning seasons and a bowl appearance in your last season.

2) Your program prestige and coach prestige may not drop during those seasons.

3) You may only move to programs with equal or lower prestige and have losing records the last two years.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #115
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone. I'd love to be able to fit in games on the weekend, but otherwise I get home from work around 5:00, eat dinner, and would try to fit games in a bit later in the evening - like 8:00-11:00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #116
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

EST here. I'm on in the evenings, usually at varying times between 7 PM-midnight. Put me down as a definite in. I think we should offer an "out" to people at the end of each season. That way people could bail at a set time instead of in the middle of a season. But I guess people could still quit at anytime.

Who knows what the gaming landscape will be in November as opposed to July when this comes out. Obviously the league shouldn't start until real rosters can be used as the default in the league.

Many questions we need to figure out before we start this thing.

Can new people join a league in progress?
How many total people want to do it?
Difficulty?
Quarter length?
Quality of team?
BCS/non-BCS schools?
Sliders?

There are more questions to be sure. But these are some of the preliminary ones. Here's what I would like:

-12 teams in, divided as 4 teams in each of 3 BCS conferences

-We should be limited to teams in the bottom half (ratings-wise) of BCS conferences

-All-American level with 5-6 minute quarters and sliders adjusted as needed as the league progresses

This setup would be ideal for me. That way we'd have 2/3 of our games vs the AI and 1/3 vs humans. Much easier to schedule and that way we wouldn't have twelve 12-0 teams every year. Plus I don't want to play against a human almost every week (aka all 12 users in the same conference). I think the conference alignment will be the biggest issue to resolve, though. Maybe do one league as the Pac 10/Big XII/SEC and the other as Big East/Big Ten/ACC. This (in theory) should help to balance out the times people are available to play.

I'll try and post a spreadsheet later of the teams rated in the bottom half of BCS conferences. A quick glance looks like 72-79 will be the ideal ratings range.

This is going to take a lot of posts & a lot of time to get set up.

I PM'ed SkyDog/Ben E Lou to ask if we could have a separate sub-forum (maybe in the dynasty section) for the upcoming NCAA dynasties, but he hasn't responded. I know we're part of OS now...but I don't want to venture into those boards to actively post for this. If we can't have a sub-forum on here, any other suggestions on where we could post?
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #117
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Will the game (at least online) have ratings such as program prestige and coach prestige?

Did 08 have this? If it did, then I'm sure it's included. They (ea) made sure to say several times that everything in the offline dynasty is going to be included in the online dynasty.

Regarding switching teams, if anything I'd probably lean towards no switching at all. But...if somebody turns into a major powerhouse year in and year out, and is just flat out bored, they should have the option of taking over Akron or whomever.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #118
Kodos
Resident Alien

It seems like we could eliminate a whole set of issues with a no team switching rule. That's why I support that option.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #119
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
I PM'ed SkyDog/Ben E Lou to ask if we could have a separate sub-forum (maybe in the dynasty section) for the upcoming NCAA dynasties, but he hasn't responded. I know we're part of OS now...but I don't want to venture into those boards to actively post for this. If we can't have a sub-forum on here, any other suggestions on where we could post?

I could probably get something setup for us, probably our own phpbb board if we wanted.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #120
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Did 08 have this? If it did, then I'm sure it's included. They (ea) made sure to say several times that everything in the offline dynasty is going to be included in the online dynasty.

It is EA...
Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #121
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
I think we should offer an "out" to people at the end of each season. That way people could bail at a set time instead of in the middle of a season.

I agree 100%

Quote:
the league shouldn't start until real rosters can be used as the default in the league.

Typically there will be a handfull of guys who get the game before anyone else and work on "real rosters" day and night. They are usually able to get them out by release day, or at least within a week.

Quote:
Many questions we need to figure out before we start this thing.

Can new people join a league in progress? - Yes...the commish can add/remove/alter owners and what team they control at their leisure.
How many total people want to do it? - Right now we're at about 15 confirmed ins.
Difficulty? - Consensus seems to be AA
Quarter length? - I'm guessing 6-7...
Quality of team? - I'm digging the "72-79" and awaiting the spreadsheet
BCS/non-BCS schools? - Doesn't matter to me...BCS I imagine would be best. I'm calling dibs on Maryland if I'm in the league w/ ACC...
Sliders? - This is something that I'm hoping we can alter as the league goes on. Can anybody confirm that sliders can be altered in the middle of a dynasty on 08?

Quote:
Here's what I would like:

-12 teams in, divided as 4 teams in each of 3 BCS conferences

-We should be limited to teams in the bottom half (ratings-wise) of BCS conferences

-All-American level with 5-6 minute quarters and sliders adjusted as needed as the league progresses

Outside of the 5 minute quarter idea, I couldn't agree more. The sub-forum would be ideal for scheduling and ironing out rules. In case you hadn't seen this, there are a collection of pdf files posted by one of the producers @ EA laying out what you can and can't do when setting up an online dynasty. Here are the links to them.

Creating and Online Dynasty 1
Creating an Online Dynasty 2
Dynasty Headquarters
Running an Online Dynasty as a Commish
Playing the Online Dynasty as a Non Commish

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-12-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Fairdale Kings has already said he will have rosters out on the day of release, but of course, he could get delayed and have it be a few days later. I'll be shocked if they aren't out within 3 days of release. It'll probably take longer to come up with a decent slider set and give everyone a few days to get used to their team.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Of course, if you don't know, he sold his site (to a scumbag by all reports) and rosters now will be available through Operation Sports' site as well as the online roster sharing within the game.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-12-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #124
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think 7 minutes on AA is perfect. I agree on 70 - 80 range teams as well. Dynasties may as well be a must too. I want constant shit talk so the people not in the league see how much they miss.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #125
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

JUST TEAMS UNDER 80:

ACC:
Virginia--79
North Carolina--79
Boston College--77
Wake Forest--77
NC State--77
Duke--77

Big 10:
Michigan State 79
Indiana 79
Minnesota 77
Iowa 74

Big 12:
Oklahoma State 79
Colorado 79
Texas A&M 77
Kansas 77
Iowa State 72
Baylor 67

Big East:
USF 79
Rutgers 79
Pittsburgh 79
Louisville 79
Connecticut 74
Syracuse 72

Pac 10:

Washington 79
Washington State 77
Oregon State 77
Stanford 74

SEC:
Arkansas 79
Kentucky 77
Mississippi State 74
Vanderbilt 72

Last edited by kingnebwsu : 06-12-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Real overall ratings
Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #126
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Boston College would be my selection if we're going 70-80.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #127
cartman
Death Herald

I wonder how to interpret the correlation between the ratings. Miami is listed as Off: 90, Def: 99, Overall: 86, while Texas is Off: 75, Def: 71, Overall: 89

???

Last edited by cartman : 06-12-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #128
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm in for sure. Pacific time, usually home from work around 5:30 and up until 11.

Cartman - maybe they are really emphasising the kicking game this year?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I wonder how to interpret the correlation between the ratings. Miami is listed as Off: 90, Def: 99, Overall: 86, while Texas is Off: 75, Def: 71, Overall: 89

???

Yeah, that is very odd. The producers on OS were saying that the ratings are odd because of the weighting of positions and how it factors in differently for different areas, but I still don't think that is a good explanation of what you are pointing out.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #130
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Hopefully I got all the conference alignments right. Upon further review some of the offense/defense ratings got messed up but the overalls look fine. My bad.

So there are apparently 30 teams with a team rating under 80. Broken down by conference:

ACC 5
Big Ten 5
Big Twelve 7
Big East 7
Pac Ten 3
SEC 3

So my suggestion of 4 teams in 3 different conferences won't work unless we pick better rated teams for the Pac Ten and SEC. But on the flipside we do have many options for the other conferences. We could also do 3 teams in each of 4 BCS conferences. I don't know. We have several options.

Also, I think trying to pick teams before it comes out would be a bad idea. I personally would like to try a few different teams before I decide on one. Maybe we could at least decide on a conference we want to play in?

Hopefully this information helps us get some ideas.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #131
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Dola: I edited the list to just have the "under 80" teams. The overall ratings are correct but I messed something up on the offense/defense ratings. You can find the actual ratings at EA's site...

hxxp://easports.com/downloads/easports/ncaa09/ratings/team_ratings.xls

I'll try & fix it later but I don't have time now.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #132
KWhit
Coordinator

As I posted earlier, I'm in. I'm on eastern time zone.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #133
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm fine for giving it at least a week before we officially pick teams. It will take us that long after the game comes out to come up with sliders that 12 people are going to agree on anyway. How many BCS Conferences are there anyway? With 30 teams to choose from, even with two 100% full leagues that still leaves six sub 80 teams that nobody controls. I would probably lean towards using Stanford, just because they're my hometown team.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #134
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'd prefer running the East coast. I thought EF was in the Central but I am not sure.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #135
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, that makes much more sense. Texas is actually an 89 overall, 88 offense, and 92 defense.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #136
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'd prefer running the East coast. I thought EF was in the Central but I am not sure.

Yeah, I'm in the Central Time Zone.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #137
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yeah, I'm in the Central Time Zone.

Does running the Central/Left work then?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #138
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Does running the Central/Left work then?

That is fine with me, but weeknights I won't be on much later than 10PM central. Of course, I'm fine with someone else being the commish as well if that works better.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-12-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #139
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
That is fine with me, but weeknights I won't be on much later than 10PM central. Of course, I'm fine with someone else being the commish as well if that works better.

We can work that out. I might be able to handle later, job situation coming up, it could dictate which works best.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #140
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I wouldn't mind taking over commish duties for the Left/Mountain/Central league, but not until after the first season...but if EF is able to do it just fine then I wont worry about it. I'm getting married in late August, and I will have no access whatsoever to a 360 from 8/20 - 9/7. I'll be back after 3 weeks of sunning myself on the beaches of Maui and Kauai, and hanging out at disneyland, ready to kick some ass. Unfortunately this means I'm probably going to either have to find a sub, or have the CPU take over for at least 1/3 of my season.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-12-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #141
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm fine for giving it at least a week before we officially pick teams. It will take us that long after the game comes out to come up with sliders that 12 people are going to agree on anyway. How many BCS Conferences are there anyway? With 30 teams to choose from, even with two 100% full leagues that still leaves six sub 80 teams that nobody controls. I would probably lean towards using Stanford, just because they're my hometown team.

Does it matter if the two leagues have two people with the same school, expect in different leagues?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #142
Galaxy
Coordinator

Is Arkansas that bad this year?

On a side note, I would be willing to join up with SirFozzie in the ACC and take the job at Duke. That would give two teams so far in the ACC (one in each division).

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-12-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #143
Logan
Head Coach

Reiterating my definite in (east coast - play pretty much anytime after 7 weekdays/anytime on weekends) and bring on Rutgers if it works that way.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #144
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I still think we need to set up a random number generator or something of the sort to decide team pick order once we sort out who is in which league.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #145
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I still think we need to set up a random number generator or something of the sort to decide team pick order once we sort out who is in which league.

Agreed. I have no idea how to do this but obviously someone here on FOFC does.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #146
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Does it matter if the two leagues have two people with the same school, expect in different leagues?

Nah, it really wouldn't matter. Sorry if that was unclear in my post.

I re-edited the "teams under 80" list several posts up. It just lists team by conference and their overall rating. Hopefully that's easier to read.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #147
Galaxy
Coordinator

Good idea EF27. How do you pick the teams/conferences? I think we need to first assign the leagues, then each league can pick three conferences. From that point, you can do the random picks.

I don't care about the rosters (well, I do), but the idea is to build a long-term team. By season five, you'll have your own players. I think the game (and playing you guys) will be a lot more fun as time progresses, as we battle for recruits, makeover our rosters with our type of players with our own system.

I don't mind locking in the teams then. We should stick to the BCS conferences. I think three or four people per conference (I think it depends on the number of non-conference championship game/two-division, title game conferences each league will have).

If someone really wants to change a team after 10 seasons or whatever, put it up to a vote.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-12-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #148
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
JUST TEAMS UNDER 80:

ACC:
Virginia--79
North Carolina--79
Wake Forest--77
NC State--77
Duke--77

Big 10:
Washington 79
Michigan State 79
Indiana 79
Minnesota 77
Iowa 74

Big 12:
Oklahoma State 79
Colorado 79
Texas A&M 77
Kansas 77
Mississippi State 74
Iowa State 72
Baylor 67

Big East:
USF 79
Rutgers 79
Pittsburgh 79
Louisville 79
Boston College 77
Connecticut 74
Syracuse 72

Pac 10:

Washington State 77
Oregon State 77
Stanford 74

SEC:
Arkansas 79
Kentucky 77
Vanderbilt 72

Washington is in the Big 10? Might want to fix that list. BC and Mississippi State. No Northwestern?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-12-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #149
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm in the Eastern time zone, generally available most nights after 11 and could likely go earlier if scheduled in advance.

And I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to run with my Indiana Hoosiers.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #150
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Wow. I suck! I was in a hurry and messed up some stuff. I actually knew about Washington & Mississippi State...but I still forget that BC is in the ACC.

And Northwestern is rated an 81. So that's you 3 and me 1!