Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: When is the best time to draft?
Right f'ing now! 2 16.67%
Let's wait for the game to come out 7 58.33%
We draft now but have the ability to change teams (within certian guidelines) later 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NCAA 09 East Coast League: Pick teams now, or wait?

We've settled up on conferences, as the ACC, SEC and Big East won rather unanimously, therefore, we are at a point where we can pick teams now, before the game is out, and you're stuck with your choice, one you may not enjoy, or we wait until the game comes out, so people can test out teams and go from there.

The other option is we pick now, and if someone decides they do not like their team, they can choose an unclaimed team, but they must be in the same conference as their original squad.

So vote now, and we'll go from there.

So people know, EF27 will run the random number generator to determine the draft order in our league, and I will do likewise for the WCL.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's the NOFL to you, bub!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I see you're from CT, Kodos.

SELLOUT
Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Only recently.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So people know, EF27 will run the random number generator to determine the draft order in our league, and I will do likewise for the WCL.

Did you two find a generator? How will that work?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
BigDPW
College Prospect

I think we gain little from picking teams now so I voted to wait until the game comes out... However I don't have any strong feelings about waiting if people want to move forward now.

I think the main question is how long we wait to start the league after the game comes out... Do we wait for named rosters (I hope so)...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I think we gain little from picking teams now so I voted to wait until the game comes out... However I don't have any strong feelings about waiting if people want to move forward now.

I think the main question is how long we wait to start the league after the game comes out... Do we wait for named rosters (I hope so)...

I say yes to waiting for rosters. As far as how long after the game comes out? I'd like to say a week or two after. No later then August 1.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Usually, the rosters come out pretty quickly. Sometimes even before the game is released.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Ironhead
College Prospect

I say wait until the game comes out.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

I'm cool with waiting too.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

Have we given any thought to figuring out a way where people would be able to "call" the team they want? Say everyone PMs DeTox their #1 choice (who PMs someone else his choice). If no one matches your pick, you get the team. If there's a match, that team remains unassigned and everyone who tried selecting that team goes into the draft. So maybe we end up with 9 people drafting teams and 3 teams off the board already. And chances are those 3 teams won't necessarily be the best teams available, since only one person wanted them.

Just throwing it out there...feel free to shoot it down. I'm obviously good with the full draft though.

Last edited by Logan : 06-19-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Have we given any thought to figuring out a way where people would be able to "call" the team they want? Say everyone PMs DeTox their #1 choice (who PMs someone else his choice). If no one matches your pick, you get the team. If there's a match, that team remains unassigned and everyone who tried selecting that team goes into the draft. So maybe we end up with 9 people drafting teams and 3 teams off the board already. And chances are those 3 teams won't necessarily be the best teams available, since only one person wanted them.

Just throwing it out there...feel free to shoot it down. I'm obviously good with the full draft though.

Not a bad idea... But I would tweak it to say that if any team is wanted by more than one person we should just hold a draft for all teams...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am all for Logan's idea.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
Mike1409
High School Varsity

I voted to wait.

But one benefit of picking now, is that according to everything I have read, depth charts/players equipment can be adjusted offline and will work online in the dynasty.

So if your teams starters do not match your play style you can make those adjustments before and during the season.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Good idea. I want Rutgers.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Good idea. I want Rutgers.

You ass. I want Rutgers!

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 06-20-2008 at 10:10 AM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If we do it Logan's way, we can probably start it any time as the guys who know what team's they covet can get them, then we can draft later for guys who all picked similiar teams so they have a chance to figure out potential fall back plans. Just a thought.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 06-20-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #18
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
If we do it Logan's way, we can probably start it any time as the guys who know what team's they covet can get them, then we can draft later for guys who all picked similiar teams so they have a chance to figure out potential fall back plans. Just a thought.

I agree with that, but with only using 3 conferences, it might not be as easy as picking just your team.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
I agree with that, but with only using 3 conferences, it might not be as easy as picking just your team.

I do agree there. We'll need a think tank to figure this out.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Maybe we could pick teams on the conference basis i.e. I want only team A in the big east, and if i cant get them I don't want to be in that conference. Or I want team A in the big east but I want to be in the Big East no matter which team I get?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
Logan
Head Coach

Good luck to anyone who takes Rutgers. No one knows their weaknesses and how they can be beat more than me .
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

Do you guys think there would be any value to selecting our teams now, so when the game comes out, you have a focus on what team to play a few games with to see if you like them (as opposed to a group of 16 teams that you may end up with)?

I guess that's my long way of saying I'm changing my vote from option 2 to option 3.

Last edited by Logan : 06-20-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Isn't there a limit to a max of 4 of us being in one conference too?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Each conference has to have 4 human teams, so doing it Logan's way may have it's problems. A draft is probably the only way to go about it.

What I am going to suggest is we do a preliminary draft now. Guys get their teams and then the game comes out. We have a week or two before the league starts for people to use their teams. We then go through a roll call with the owners to see if they want to stick it out with their team. Those who do not will go back into a draft with the remaining teams.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Each conference has to have 4 human teams, so doing it Logan's way may have it's problems. A draft is probably the only way to go about it.

What I am going to suggest is we do a preliminary draft now. Guys get their teams and then the game comes out. We have a week or two before the league starts for people to use their teams. We then go through a roll call with the owners to see if they want to stick it out with their team. Those who do not will go back into a draft with the remaining teams.

I agree with this in principle, but there could be a situation where a player doesn't like his team and doesn't have any option to change due to conference or team limitations such as I have the 4th SEC team I have to take an SEC team. I do not have a preferrence to a specific team but I do have a few of the available teams that I do not want based on RL rivalries and locations.

I am curious as to how the preliminary draft would fall. I might also then be open to the idea of having 4 conferences with 3 teams per.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I agree with this in principle, but there could be a situation where a player doesn't like his team and doesn't have any option to change due to conference or team limitations such as I have the 4th SEC team I have to take an SEC team. I do not have a preferrence to a specific team but I do have a few of the available teams that I do not want based on RL rivalries and locations.

I am curious as to how the preliminary draft would fall. I might also then be open to the idea of having 4 conferences with 3 teams per.

4 three team leagues might work best, I do agree. Only because the more options the better. We'll see what everyone thinks.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, perhaps we do a preliminary draft with three 4 team leagues and see how it goes. If people have a problem with their teams and options are slim, we then re-open the vote on the # of conferences and re-draft (but allowing people happy with their teams to keep them)
Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #28
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Dola, perhaps we do a preliminary draft with three 4 team leagues and see how it goes. If people have a problem with their teams and options are slim, we then re-open the vote on the # of conferences and re-draft (but allowing people happy with their teams to keep them)

That sounds great. Lets do a draft!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #29
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bumpity bump
Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm down for a preliminary draft.

I don't really foresee that many problems between owners among teams we select (conferences maybe)....
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #31
DeToxRox
Head Coach

We'll see if a couple other guys are down with that, and if so, we'll do it pretty quick coming up.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #32
Mike1409
High School Varsity

I'm down!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
Logan
Head Coach

Also in for an early draft. And Detox, don't worry about the PMs...it's a good idea cause I forget to stop by here every now and then.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #34
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
ACC:

Florida State - 94
Clemson - 89
Miami - 86
Virginia Tech - 84
Georgia Tech - 81
Maryland - 81
---------------------
Virginia - 79
North Carolina - 79
Boston College - 77
Wake Forest - 77
NC State - 77
Duke - 77

Big East:

Cincinnati - 84
West Virginia - 84
---------------------
USF - 79
Rutgers - 79
Pittsburgh - 79
Louisville - 79
Connecticut - 74
Syracuse - 72

SEC:

Georgia - 99
Florida - 94
LSU - 91
Tennessee - 89
South Carolina - 89
Auburn - 84
Ole Miss - 84
Alabama - 84
---------------------
Arkansas - 79
Kentucky - 77
Mississippi State - 74
Vanderbilt - 72

Here are the teams we have to choose from. 14 teams for 12 spots.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #35
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I'm okay with an early draft.

I say add another conference though.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #36
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If most people are fine, we'll go open up the vote for a fourth conference. I think it'll wind up being the Big 12 judging on votes so far, but I am all for it. The more options the better.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #37
KWhit
Coordinator

I voted for 4 conferences in the beginning, so I'd be up for that.

And a prelim draft would be fine by me.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #38
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm fine with whatever the masses think is a good idea.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Did you two find a generator? How will that work?

Random.org has a variety of random number generators that claim to be more random than usual computer random number generators which aren't really random. I'm thinking that assigning each person position 1 to 12 based on their screen name arranged alphabetically and then generating 12 random numbers should work well. Low number to high number to generate the order. You can set the generator from 1 to whatever. I think 1 to 1000 would work well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Ok.

I'm BAFFLED right now.

How the hell does this vote mean we pick teams now? I see a 7-5 vote in favor of waiting.

Why do we even vote for shit for this league?

We vote for # conferences and vote for 3. Somehow someone decides we're magically going to 4, and we just do. (keep in mind I voted for 4 initially).

We vote for whether to pick teams now and 5 votes of 12 people means of course - let's draft now!

Seriously.

What the fuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

I deleted my original response as it sounded harsher than I meant...

But note how the thread progressed. I think I originally threw out the idea of doing it now so we could "focus" on a team when the game came out, and others came up with similar ideas and other points to support it. I came out and said I would like to do an early draft, after initially voting to wait. A quick look shows at least one, Mike, did the same thing. So your 7-5 vote in favor of waiting becomes a 7-5 vote in favor of drafting now.

Last edited by Logan : 07-01-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #42
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Ok.

I'm BAFFLED right now.

How the hell does this vote mean we pick teams now? I see a 7-5 vote in favor of waiting.

Why do we even vote for shit for this league?

We vote for # conferences and vote for 3. Somehow someone decides we're magically going to 4, and we just do. (keep in mind I voted for 4 initially).

We vote for whether to pick teams now and 5 votes of 12 people means of course - let's draft now!

Seriously.

What the fuck?

Not the words I would have chosen to make the same point but I am a little baffled by the way we have gone from 3 conferences to 4 without anyone really favoring the 4 conference idea other than the commish?

That being said I just wanna get this league up and running and have a good time with it... I hope we can keep a solid group of guys interested. The NOFL seems to really be clicking already and alot of the guys I am used to playing online with in the past are in that league (EF27 and Kodos mostly)...
Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #43
DeToxRox
Head Coach

What happened was the evolution of the people voting. People have taken it stride. Yes it has been somewhat clusterfucky but it happens. Ideas in theory sounded better then they were headed, and the other league's flow with a similiar structure helped change people's minds.

Everything I can change. This is all preliminary. When the game comes out everything is under review. But I have been PM'ing everyone with everything along the way so I'd assume you'd know about it.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #44
Kodos
Resident Alien

EVERYTHING IS SET IN STONE!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #45
Ironhead
College Prospect

For what it is worth I also originally thought it would be crazy to pick a team without playing with them first and voted to wait. But the more I thought about it, and quite frankly the more the league seemed to be losing some steam, I wanted to go ahead and pick.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #46
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

If this were a pro game, I'd understand if you were absolutely set on wanting to play with a team before choosing...some guys are locked in to long term contracts, and just in general it's hard to change the face of a pro football team in a short amount of time. Since this is college, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. You can completely change your team around to play the kind of style you like to play in just 2 seasons.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #47
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
What happened was the evolution of the people voting. People have taken it stride. Yes it has been somewhat clusterfucky but it happens. Ideas in theory sounded better then they were headed, and the other league's flow with a similiar structure helped change people's minds.

Everything I can change. This is all preliminary. When the game comes out everything is under review. But I have been PM'ing everyone with everything along the way so I'd assume you'd know about it.

Yeah, I saw the PM's about voting, etc.

I'm just not understanding why we bothered voting.

It's a lot harder to undo something once it is done than it is to add it in later. There's no way we go back on this draft now. People who have their teams have them, no way they are ok with giving them up.

Again, just not understanding why we bothered voting.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 07-02-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #48
Logan
Head Coach

We did vote, and as I said, don't go by the results up top as they changed. It was (at least) 7-5 in favor of going now.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #49
Mike1409
High School Varsity

We did vote and then WE discussed the problems and limitations and ammended the rules.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #50
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
We did vote, and as I said, don't go by the results up top as they changed. It was (at least) 7-5 in favor of going now.

Quote:
We did vote and then WE discussed the problems and limitations and ammended the rules.

If we means a limited number of people, then sure - I agree.

I know I'm being a pain in the ass and pissing people off here, but I just have serious problems if this is how we are starting - by the majority voting for something and then a small minority discussing it and deciding to change it.

Not a good sign for the future.

Quote: