Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Job interview reverse questions

So what are some of the typical questions one should be prepared and willing to ask of the company that is interviewing you, during the interview and when it's appropriate?

Consider these variables:

They put feelers out for you
You worked for the DP (2 layers up from where you'd be) before
Theyve already mentioned on the phone a 12-18 month plan of growth
Theyve already mentioned that some auto travel would be involved

Thanks in advance, its been a long time....

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 11-14-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
clemsonfan
High School JV

I always like to ask why the position is open.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I always like to ask why the position is open.

Good question I'd think however in the New Home Construction Industry its pretty clear to everyone that the industry was cut to the bone and now theyre dipping their toes back in the water to re-tool for an eventual normal growth....we hope.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Warhammer
Pro Starter

What is DP?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

Division President.

s/he is the one who called on me for the opening to apply for.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Division President.

s/he is the one who called on me for the opening to apply for.

"So...your minions tell me you wanted me specifically. Why should I work for you again?"

Seriously though...I suggest asking questions you believe you already know some or all of the answer to. For instance...

"Why is the position open currently?" But you add a follow-up comment showcasing your knowledge of the industry and how the business works which may further establish your credibility and salary negotiation range.

I'd also throw in comments about competitors and what they are doing these days to further showcase your breadth of "industry knowledge". Basically...take EVERY opportunity to dump out as much of your knowledge as possible.

One thing I've gone away from personally...interviews are NOT the time to be overly-curious and inquisitive about things that "might" be just as easily learned on the job. My profession is technical by nature so it does help in my daily work to be this way...not so much in an interview though. You want to certainly ask questions you feel are appropriate to the position but never ask something that seems like you maybe "should" know what it means, entails, or how it might be applicable to your daily job or profession. Reason being...most people who I might interview with tend to not be as technical as I am (i.e. that is what they expect to pay ME for). I may have peers that are technical in the company...but rarely does my interviewer/potential boss really know the nuts and bolts as well as I do...so (unfortunately) it makes me look less knowledgeable than other interviewees to ask anything technical. Sucks really...because nobody ACTUALLY knows everything...but appearance is still the rule and not the exception, unfortunately. Not all the time mind you...but many times. So, all that to say...understand your interviewer's depth and perview in the company/industry.

YMMV though in your profession/companies, though.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Use the questions to learn more about the particular company and culture to make sure they match your needs. Are you someone that likes a hands-off manager? Ask about the person's management style. Are you worried about financial viability of the company? Ask them about how they fared with the weakened economy. Do you prefer to work in a team or by yourself? Ask about the prevalence of self-directed work teams, or individual tasks.

Company interviewers are looking to find out how you would fit with a particular position. You should be asking them questions to see how the company atmosphere would fit with your needs.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Use the questions to learn more about the particular company and culture to make sure they match your needs. Are you someone that likes a hands-off manager? Ask about the person's management style. Are you worried about financial viability of the company? Ask them about how they fared with the weakened economy. Do you prefer to work in a team or by yourself? Ask about the prevalence of self-directed work teams, or individual tasks.

Company interviewers are looking to find out how you would fit with a particular position. You should be asking them questions to see how the company atmosphere would fit with your needs.

Yes...this is probably better advice than mine if you are less familiar with the place/role/scenario you'll be in. I assumed you already know these people and most of the routine things going in.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I always like to ask whether they ever press charges or not.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Flasch186
Coordinator

thanks all.

Im thinking of asking something along the lines of:

"What are the expectations for the position in regards to time in the field; in the offices?" - to gleen how much travel it will be, I know it'll be some but Id like to know just how much so I can ask for that in Auto allowance.

"How much time do you anticipate Ill be able to focus on Coaching/Training within this position?" or "How much time are you looking for this position to devote to the coaching/training aspects?" - This is important because a manager and a trainer have two different salary structures so it's important I see where the weight is before countering their offer should I get it.

"What are the 3 things you'd like to see accomplished first should I be put in the role?" - This is to try to find out what I need to hit out of the gates so that I come out sprinting as opposed to the deadly opposite. <---this question makes me nervous (it was suggested) because it's quite assumptive and possibly could rub some people the wrong way.

I was also suggested to ask at the end, "Do you have any concerns that might preclude you from choosing me for the position?" Thereby being able to answer any of those concerns then, and then, once smoothed out, be able to say something like, "Great. I look forward to hearing from you..." and since this is in a sales field I can look like a 'closer' during the interview although my position wouldnt be front line sales anymore but more a coach/trainer/mentor/manager role.

thoughts?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL