Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #16251
Dutch
"Dutch"

Screw it, I'm just gonna write e-mails, "The conference call will be at 9am, my time...but be aware I'm boarding a flight from Tampa to Dallas so I might be late...or early....not sure."
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #16252
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hi. My name is Kodos, and I am a nitwit.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #16253
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait until the Designated Survivor airs tonight. I am hoping at that point the endless promoting will finally end.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #16254
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I can't wait until the Designated Survivor airs tonight. I am hoping at that point the endless promoting will finally end.

"Ten million people saw Kiefer Sutherland take the oath of office. Tune in Wednesday to catch up on what you missed!"
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #16255
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
My wife wanted to watch this show. I told her if it had been anybody other than Keifer Sutherland as the lead I would have watched with her. I've met the guy. He's a tool. I can't see past that.

Last edited by heybrad : 09-21-2016 at 01:38 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #16256
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do you know how many times that man has saved us?
Old 09-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #16257
bhlloy
Coordinator

This is nuts and shows how far we have to go as a country and society around mental illness: Ex-Texas A&M standout Thomas Johnson accused of killing a man in Dallas

Also this might seem heartless, but I'd charge the mother in this case. You let your mentally disturbed kid leave at 9:30 at night with a large knife and just go "oh well". That along with the fact that she seems to have blocked some of the previous attempts to get him help blows my mind
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #16258
korme
Go Reds

You know you live by a sketchy gas station when you have to size everyone up when you walk in
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #16259
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
You know you live by a sketchy gas station when you have to size everyone up when you walk in

how bout if you pay at the pump and can only get 40 dollars worth per swipe(obviously this sucks more when gas is super expensive)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:02 AM   #16260
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone remember when you could pay after you filled up with gas?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #16261
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

This was still a possibility when I worked at a gas station 7 or so years ago. Shortly after I left that job they finally switched to prepay or post pay(if you use a card linked to your ID). I remember us getting a few drive offs here and there. I guess with the margin on gas being so low, one drive off of 10 gallons took you hundreds of gallons just to pay for. We were basically just selling food.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #16262
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This was still a possibility when I worked at a gas station 7 or so years ago. Shortly after I left that job they finally switched to prepay or post pay(if you use a card linked to your ID). I remember us getting a few drive offs here and there. I guess with the margin on gas being so low, one drive off of 10 gallons took you hundreds of gallons just to pay for. We were basically just selling food.

Sheetz is beginning to open locations that don't sell gas, just food. A couple of Sheetz I've seen recently even have a drive-thru for their food.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #16263
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
BTW agree with everything you said about 99% of realtors. The other 1% are worth 15% not 6%.
We're making ours work hard for the money with the lease/purchase people being a bit annoying and us having the agent handle the bulk of that foolishness.

My favorite agent b.s. recently has been the narrative that "ZOMFG YOU CAN'T TRUST ZILLOW TO SEE WHAT IS ON THE MARKET AND THE RIGHT PRICE!!! ZILLOW DOES NOT UPDATE IN A TIMELY FASHION!!! ONLY MLS HAS THAT INFORMATION!!!!111111"

I have my house in Charleston listed as a "favorite" on Zillow with immediate notification of changes. I texted my agent this morning to talk about a potential price drop. At 8:32am, she texted that she agreed (another house with identical floor and age dropped last night, and I thought all along that we've been a little too high). At 8:37am, I received my email notification that the price had dropped. "Price not updated," my big black butt.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #16264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just when I figure campaign season has cornered the market on stupidity, along comes Northern Michigan University and this.

A School Is Threatening to Punish Its Suicidal Students -- Science of Us

edit to add: the headline sort of sucks. Basically the story is that students have been threatened in writing with disciplinary action if they discuss thoughts of self-harm with other students.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-23-2016 at 12:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #16265
Easy Mac

Leaving for Thailand on 11/5, land there on 11/6. Just found out my passport can't expire within 6 months of getting there. My passport expires 5/5/17. 1 day less.

I think I found out in time, as expedited service is 3 weeks, and I have 44 days, but this is really too close for my comfort. Tempted just to take a day off and drive to the office in Atlanta just to make sure I get it done in time.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #16266
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Overheard customer at FedEx getting a quote for her shoebox size package...$7000! No idea where it was going or what it was, but the employee said, yes we can do it,but we would have to use a FedEx charter jet. Didn't know that even existed.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #16267
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Still can around here at select stations.
Hell the station by my house, I fill up and wave at them then come in on Friday and pay the bill (for me and my wife and my son)

Its partly why I dont move...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #16268
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So my local CBS station is going to air an infomercial titled, "Why Ise a Pressure Cooker?"

Is this a cooking show or a jihadist instruction manual?
Old 09-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #16269
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Overheard customer at FedEx getting a quote for her shoebox size package...$7000! No idea where it was going or what it was, but the employee said, yes we can do it,but we would have to use a FedEx charter jet. Didn't know that even existed.

Overhearing that conversation and leaving without learning more would pain me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #16270
QuikSand
lolzcat

Guilty pleasure:

I think I would wait in line and pay box office prices to watch two straight hours of "celebrities reading mean tweets"
Old 09-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #16271
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just when I figure campaign season has cornered the market on stupidity, along comes Northern Michigan University and this.

A School Is Threatening to Punish Its Suicidal Students -- Science of Us

edit to add: the headline sort of sucks. Basically the story is that students have been threatened in writing with disciplinary action if they discuss thoughts of self-harm with other students.

Ummmm...isn't that the key warning sign so you can help them? Weird.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #16272
PilotMan
Head Coach

Aviation is such a small world. A flight attendant, who I worked with at one of my previous companies, lost her boyfriend (who also worked there, but I never knew him, both are now together at a new airline), yesterday from West Nile Virus.

I looked up the stats, and only 5% of people infected ever show symptoms, less than 1% develop severe symptoms, and even less than that die. Her FB posts from the last couple of days are heart wrenching. They had kept it a secret so it was a huge shock to those of us that knew them.

They live in the Dallas area, so you guys down there take care of yourselves.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #16273
molson
General Manager

I almost never complain to businesses about customer service stuff - 99% of the time everything goes fine, and if there's a fuck-up, it's usually unintentional and I'm happy to just move on. We all make mistakes.

But I am irrationally pissed off when supermarkets post expired sales tags. When the sales tag says one price and another one rings up because the small print on the tag says it expired 2 days before. I wonder how much money supermarkets bring in every day from people who don't notice this and buy based on a posted, but expired, sales price. So fuck you, my local Fred Meyer. I didn't want to sit around and wait for you to process a $2 refund, but I will check over there in an hour to see if you removed those tags, and I did bitch to corporate via email.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #16274
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Guilty pleasure:

I think I would wait in line and pay box office prices to watch two straight hours of "celebrities reading mean tweets"

and I would totally be your date for that.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #16275
Critch
lolzcat

I'm not sure how many times I saw the "Ice Tea at a Lemonade stand" advert before I got the point. I knew who he was, but I didnt put 2 and 2 together. Was confused why these "idiots" would expect to get Ice Tea at a Lemonade Stand.

Then it hit me, a kind of dumb Eureka moment.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #16276
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I'm not sure how many times I saw the "Ice Tea at a Lemonade stand" advert before I got the point. I knew who he was, but I didnt put 2 and 2 together. Was confused why these "idiots" would expect to get Ice Tea at a Lemonade Stand.

ditto for everyone in my family.

although I now get the premise, I still don't understand why all the neighbors have a look on their face like you just discovered the dead bodies in their basement, but their secret is going to be safe because you will be the next victim
Old 09-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #16277
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Bad day yesterday for my cousin and his wife. First their 10 year old suffered a fractured elbow at football practice, then about an hour later their 13 year old broke his thigh bone at a different practice. He got a rod and screws inserted last night, and went home today.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #16278
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

I love that commercial. Still cracks me up, even though I've seen it dozens of times by now.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #16279
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I love that commercial. Still cracks me up, even though I've seen it dozens of times by now.

+1

Like Steam?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #16280
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
+1

+2

Ice-T looks like he is gonna play a great cranky old man.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #16281
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
and I would totally be your date for that.

Threesome. Score.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #16282
Dutch
"Dutch"

Awww, you guys!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #16283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have to admit, a good dozen viewings of it for me so far & I still stop and chuckle each time.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #16284
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
"delicious" shakes head

That's my fave part.

Speaking of commercials...

There is a Navy federal credit union commercial about a guy who has a sister that's a chef and makes tiny food.

The hot blonde sister is a dead ringer for WTA superstar Eugenie Bouchard and I'm not 100% sure it isn't her. Hell, it could be her sister.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #16285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
"delicious" shakes head
The hot blonde sister is a dead ringer for WTA superstar Eugenie Bouchard and I'm not 100% sure it isn't her. Hell, it could be her sister.

Funny thing is that not only are people trying to figure out who she is (Google auto-completes searches about 'actress in Navy Federal ...") but it's at least the second time that NFCU has gotten the same heightened attention (no pun intended) from one of their ads. Before "Tiny Food" there was a spot called "Wedding" that caused the same response.

Well done ad agency, well done indeed.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #16286
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's been a whirlwind in my life the last few weeks. It's amazing that I even know what day it is. I'm sitting here and I swear that there's something I'm supposed to be doing, but I can't remember. I'm just happy that my boy isn't puking is brains out anymore. Short of the long was that he was diagnosed with epilepsy (having absence seizures) two weeks before his 13th birthday. He ended up having a bad reaction to the drug they started him on and hasn't been back to school in 2 weeks. He's off the drug now and trying to get caught up in school so he can maybe go back next week. Now we're back to the beginning with the drugs. I guess we'll start trying again at the end of October. I'm scared to try the next one. I have a feeling that this is going to be a long, long road for him.

Like Steam?

Old 09-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #16287
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The gas station from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is opening up next weekend as a shrine to the movie, a BBQ restaurant, as well as renting cabins to stay overnight.

Texas Gas Station – The Gas Station
Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #16288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Marked 23 years of being married today ... here tending the cats & stuff while my wife was in TN helping make the arrangements for her uncle's funeral.

I'm not a big holiday/events/etc kinda guy but I gotta admit, this one was kinda weird.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-02-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #16289
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Updated

VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #16290
Suicane75
Coordinator

Joe Buck having a hair plug addiction sounds like just about the most Joe Buck thing that could be.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #16291
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wonder if I should feel guilty that someone passed away before I confirmed their friend status on Facebook? I just sort of left it hanging there. What kind of Johnny-come-lately would I be now?

Like Steam?

Old 10-08-2016, 01:37 AM   #16292
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Joe Buck having a hair plug addiction sounds like just about the most Joe Buck thing that could be.

"Joe Buck:My Penis Enlargement Debacle" would be more Joe Buck, but may be the only thing.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #16293
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I wonder if I should feel guilty that someone passed away before I confirmed their friend status on Facebook? I just sort of left it hanging there. What kind of Johnny-come-lately would I be now?

I had one of these - a close friend of my Aunt who was also close to my cousin but I never had much affection for (and my dad rather disliked). She has been in friend limbo for ages. A few weeks ago my cousin reposted a memory talking about her death - from four years ago.

She's still in limbo.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #16294
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

+another here
Old 10-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #16295
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't know why exactly, but the phrase "retired cam girl" cracks me the eff up.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #16296
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The new Aaron Rodgers/Clay Matthews AllState ad made me laugh.

"Did you get it?"
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #16297
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Will someone ask all the people who want to hear Jimmy Eat World and Five Finger Death Punch on the same radio station to gather up, I'd like to meet them.

Just have them wait over there in that old phone booth, I'm sure that'll be plenty of room.

(Yes, songs from both appear in the this week's absurdly compiled Active Rock airplay chart)
Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #16298
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Tim Tebow helps save fan having seizure in 'miracle'

This guy hits a homerun in his first at bat and now he's healing the sick. He truly is the messiah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Both fans and media members in attendance say Tebow was signing autographs after the game when a fan appeared to have a seizure. ABC 15's Kari Van Horn says Tebow then put his hands on the fan, said a prayer and the fan was able to breathe.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 10-11-2016 at 08:01 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #16299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

"Random thoughts" seems as good a place as any for this, though on a more serious note than usual. Indulge me.

One of my best friends from my teens mentioned on Facebook that today marked the 8th anniversary of his dad's death. The third member of our main trio from that era commented about how "us snotty nosed kids always knew he cared about us".

I can't quite seem to shake how perfectly he summed up the relationship we had with the man. His house was where we congregated, our jumping off point for most weekend adventures, not to mention our "don't wanna be at home but gotta be somewhere" weekday spot.

Frequently exasperated by dealing with our 16-18 year old selves, we not only knew he cared about us but that he fiercely wanted to always see us do better, BE better. At whatever we did, at whatever we chose.

I can't explain WHY this has struck me so sharply today but it has. What a great gift that was to have, to simply have that non-family member adult care about your path/choices/outcomes. We knew he cared, you couldn't miss it, but I think maybe the passage of a few decades makes what a blessing it was be a lot clearer.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-13-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #16300
cartman
Death Herald

Went to a fundraiser dinner tonight for a local charity that was held at the Salt Lick. I was just planning to go for the BBQ, but ended up winning an auction for a weekend house rental down on the Texas coast.

An older guy and his wife came and sat down near us for dinner and we started chatting. They'd lived in the area for nearly 30 years, and we started talking about fly fishing and bicycling, and he preferred like I do to ride the roads in my neighborhood due to nice wide roads and little traffic. Found out later that his sons founded the company that makes Yeti coolers.