Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #6401
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It is really smart. The right blindly opposes everything he does despite it being beneficial for their constituents. They gonna become the pro cancer party?

They're teetering on the edge of supporting school shooters so probably.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #6402
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dems just got a huge boost to keep the senate with the Trumpy candidate winning the NH republican primary.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:40 AM   #6403
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
ugh, that all these extremely extreme points of view, that have been considered highly extremist for decades, are now being pushed into mainstream thought, and have a less than 0 chance to see increasing support across courts, and public opinion makes me nauseous. It's almost like McVeigh and Nichols have finally become martyrs for a cause the world now believes in. Ask the right if that's what they support and I bet you they have record high marks across the ideology now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think Masters is the most dangerous GOP candidate with an actual chance.

“I’ll probably get in trouble for saying this,” Masters responded. “How about, like, Theodore Kaczynski?”

I mean.....yes....this is the course the Republican party is on now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:08 PM   #6404
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Lathum, I have learned better than celebrating a bad Republican candidate. Some of those nuts actually win.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-14-2022 at 05:08 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:47 PM   #6405
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I’m not crazy about that strategy. Especially when employed against a republican who voted to be remove Trump from office.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #6406
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love it. I think it is great. The Dems have been playing nice far too long. Time to mix it up and try something different. MAGA candidates are so toxic at this point not sure how anyone can say they would rather go against a more centrist republican who may draw the independent vote. When you run against a MAGA candidate the election become all about Trump, the big lie, Jan 6th, etc...as opposed to having to defend inflation, the border, etc...
Old 09-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #6407
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The danger is they bring out more crazies to vote, and you still get X percent of GOP identifiers who vote for the party regardless of who the candidate is. Like, they would prefer a sane candidate but any GOP is better than a Democrat.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #6408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The danger is they bring out more crazies to vote, and you still get X percent of GOP identifiers who vote for the party regardless of who the candidate is. Like, they would prefer a sane candidate but any GOP is better than a Democrat.

And that is likely countered by people who come out to vote against the MAGA candidate and the crazy that comes with it.

We bash the Dems for trying to stick to the norms in what is clearly not a normal cycle but then when they try something different we say they shouldn't do it.

Obviously remains to be seen if the strategy works, but if the goal is to win seats IMO they have an easier time defeating MAGA over a centralist who will still strip away abortion rights, etc...Just look at Glen Younkin.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:24 PM   #6409
Ksyrup

I get it. But if a couple MAGA get elected along the way, that just props up the Jim Jordan wing that much longer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-14-2022, 08:07 PM   #6410
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thomas Massie (KY) has voted consistently with MAGA (and Russia), and he's eyeing Mitch's seat when he decides to leave. He's so confident of winning (and will) that he's not even campaigning. His signs are just the same signs from the past 4 years. The Dem who is running against him is a good, solid candidate and by and large should be getting attention, but it doesn't matter Massie is untouchable in spite of this shit he's said and done. Once these fucking cockroaches get in, they never get out.

Like Steam?

Old 09-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #6411
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Thomas Massie (KY) has voted consistently with MAGA (and Russia), and he's eyeing Mitch's seat when he decides to leave. He's so confident of winning (and will) that he's not even campaigning. His signs are just the same signs from the past 4 years. The Dem who is running against him is a good, solid candidate and by and large should be getting attention, but it doesn't matter Massie is untouchable in spite of this shit he's said and done. Once these fucking cockroaches get in, they never get out.

Apples and Oranges to the situation in NH.

Unfortunately some parts of the country won't be salvageable.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:01 AM   #6412
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Apples and Oranges to the situation in NH.

Unfortunately some parts of the country won't be salvageable.

Agreed. Massie's district is R+19

New Hampshire as a whole is dead even..

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:48 AM   #6413
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Rail Strike averted
Monkey Pox not a pandemic

One of the problems, politically, with competent administration is that when you do things well you keep them out of the news. It is hard to get voters excited about avoiding disasters that didn't happen.

As a citizen who cares more about quality of life than politics, I love competent administration. But it does not poll as well as it should.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:52 AM   #6414
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dark Brandon getting shit done.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #6415
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bad candidates are still scary. I gotta sleep for the next nearly two months hoping that Droz and Insurrection Dougy don’t win here. Droz over Fetterman would suck. On a statewide level, though, Dougy would gut this state whereas Shipiro is likely to just be competent no drama leadership.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #6416
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is why I love the strategy. We all know MAGA voters are idiots, but he already has them. There are very few, if any, voters who will be fooled by this. If you are that stupid and gullible you are likely already MAGA.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #6417
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

GOP pundits are so upset that they won't have a rail strike to blame on Biden.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #6418
Ksyrup

Quote:
This is why I love the strategy. We all know MAGA voters are idiots, but he already has them. There are very few, if any, voters who will be fooled by this. If you are that stupid and gullible you are likely already MAGA.

I don't think we disagree on Trump supporters. I think the mistake you are making - the same one that was made about Trump himself - is that there is a certain percentage of people who simply don't care about the actual person they are voting for. They don't like Trump, but they know capital gains is going to be cut by virtue of GOP control. That kind of stuff. And if "the cray cray" doesn't tangibly impact your life, what does it matter, it's a non-issue.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:28 PM   #6419
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Masters is the most dangerous GOP candidate with an actual chance.

He also believes military leadership is too liberal and wants all generals "fired' and replaced with "the most conservative colonels".

It's also not a one off comment. He's mentioned it several times.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #6420
GrantDawg

Quote:
I don't think we disagree on Trump supporters. I think the mistake you are making - the same one that was made about Trump himself - is that there is a certain percentage of people who simply don't care about the actual person they are voting for. They don't like Trump, but they know capital gains is going to be cut by virtue of GOP control. That kind of stuff. And if "the cray cray" doesn't tangibly impact your life, what does it matter, it's a non-issue.
There is also the possible "October Surprise" factor. What if the Democratic candidate has pictures in black-face come out right before the election? They had hired nanny not legally in the country? They secretly flew to Argentina to sleep with a lover on tax-payer dime? These nut bags can still win, and do damage to our democracy. Remember the celebration among Democrats when Trump won the nomination against Hilary? Never again.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #6421
RainMaker
General Manager

Masters is part of the Thiel crowd that wants to do away with democracy and move toward some sort of monarchy where tech guys are made Kings of regions. I'm not kidding.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #6422
GrantDawg

Sound familiar?
Old 09-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #6423
GrantDawg

How does DeSantis spend $12 million dollars of Florida taxpayers money to fly immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts? Is he just begging to get arrested?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #6424
Ksyrup

I'm still not clear on where they are from. I thought I saw something about these people actually coming from Texas? So they aren't Florida immigrants and Abbott and DeSantis appear to have coordinated flights going through Florida so DeSantis could get publicity for sending them to MA?
Old 09-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #6425
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I think the electorate is a lot different than it was 6 years ago.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:47 PM   #6426
Ksyrup

I've talked to enough people who are seemingly "normal," don't really like Trump but are loyal to the GOP and/or self-interest, and the best answer I've heard is someone's said they just won't vote. The rest are still anti-Democrat above all else and wish Trump was gone, but they aren't changing their vote.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #6427
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still not clear on where they are from. I thought I saw something about these people actually coming from Texas? So they aren't Florida immigrants and Abbott and DeSantis appear to have coordinated flights going through Florida so DeSantis could get publicity for sending them to MA?

They were apparently promised expedited work visas once they got there in order to get them on the plane.

I'm not sure how this isn't breaking multiple federal crimes.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:55 PM   #6428
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I've talked to enough people who are seemingly "normal," don't really like Trump but are loyal to the GOP and/or self-interest, and the best answer I've heard is someone's said they just won't vote. The rest are still anti-Democrat above all else and wish Trump was gone, but they aren't changing their vote.

Those people right there are the ones I genuinely do not understand. It's like they are willing to go along with just about anything in the name of "these people want what I want even if they are bad people doing bad things". Come to think of it, that's what the Germans said after they found out about the gas chambers. The Nazi's were Germany, and they supported Germany, even if they were doing back things, then found out just how bad those things were and thought, "how did they do this and we did nothing? or We just went along, but we really didn't know or understand what was going on." That makes more sense to me now honestly.

Like Steam?

Old 09-15-2022, 09:45 PM   #6429
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
They were apparently promised expedited work visas once they got there in order to get them on the plane.

It's human trafficking but legal for people who are powerful and white.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #6430
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The 5th Court of Appeals upholds the TX social media law that makes it all but impossible for any content moderation.

4Chan for everyone!
Old 09-16-2022, 06:01 PM   #6431
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The 5th Court of Appeals upholds the TX social media law that makes it all but impossible for any content moderation.

4Chan for everyone!

Businesses have the 1st Amendment right to determine whether you can get birth control on your health insurance plan but do not have the 1st Amendment right to ban someone from their site if they are a Nazi.

So technically can this forum even ban people now without getting in legal trouble in Texas?
Old 09-16-2022, 06:02 PM   #6432
RainMaker
General Manager

It also has to be so weird for lawyers when the rules are just arbitrarily enforced. I mean I know there were weird aspects of the justice system before, but how do you interpret anything anymore? It's all based on whether the judge likes the politician who made the law.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #6433
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

4Chan for everyone!

Does this mean if I get banned here then I can sue FOFC?
Old 09-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #6434
RainMaker
General Manager

The law bans email spam filters which is going to be hilarious. We are going back to the early days of e-mail.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:04 PM   #6435
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cruz and these other idiots are doubling down on this shit with flying migrants to places like MV. Do they actually think this plays well with anyone but their base? Do they honestly think some suburban mom is going to watch images of migrant children walking off planes looking traumatized and vote for more of that?
Old 09-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #6436
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Cruz and these other idiots are doubling down on this shit with flying migrants to places like MV. Do they actually think this plays well with anyone but their base? Do they honestly think some suburban mom is going to watch images of migrant children walking off planes looking traumatized and vote for more of that?

Pretty sure that's what makes their base hard. And at this point, I feel like they've given up on winning popular votes and will just restrict access to voting and hope the courts will legislate for them.

These are also the people that pretend to be Christians.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-16-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:57 AM   #6437
whomario
Pro Starter

Not exactly a surprise but bears repeating:

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

(Thread by author)

This is also why the discussion over that 'Moonshot' on cancer is low key infuriating. Because you know what would lower cancer rates, too ? Better access to cheaper healthcare and less poverty (with which generally comes better health). You know what, ironically, would slow the decline of that rate? A higher age, meaning people not dying of other shit way earlier than in other somewhat comparably wealthy countries and a ton less wealthy.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:41 PM   #6438
Edward64
Head Coach

We're already in an economic and (undeclared) technology war with China, so why not. I think we've pretty much decided to decouple from China in many areas (let's call it selective globalization) and Taiwan is a key chip manufacturer for us (or until we ramp up our own domestic production).

I like what Biden is doing in Asia. He's developing ANKUS, QUAD and not trying to rejoin TPP. Kudos to him, he's come a long ways in recognizing the real threat and from his "com'on man" statement on China.

Not convinced that India is a true, dependable alliance partner though. And Chinese investments will be hard to say no to for many countries in Asia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62951347
Quote:
US President Joe Biden has again said the US would defend Taiwan in the event of an "unprecedented attack" by China.

Speaking in a CBS interview, Mr Biden replied "Yes" when asked if that meant US forces would defend Taiwan.

The interview aired on Sunday, prompting the White House to reiterate that US policy had not changed.

I knew there was at least one other time when Biden said similar and the Whitehouse walked it back. Apparently it's been 3 times. My guess is this is intentional and not Biden misspeaking.

Quote:
But this is the third time in a year that President Biden has gone further than the official stance in indicating a promise of military action - in October 2021 and then again in May this year.

Earlier this month, the US agreed to sell $1.1bn (£955m) in weaponry and missile defence to Taiwan, provoking anger from China.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #6439
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

bold strategy is it pays off Cotton

Old 09-19-2022, 11:54 AM   #6440
Ksyrup

Caveman Lawyer strategy.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:57 AM   #6441
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't think there's a debate I've ever wanted to watch more.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #6442
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, that's the question, right? Do we really want smart people running things? The answer to that for a lot of people is, assuredly, no.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #6443
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I mean, that's the question, right? Do we really want smart people running things? The answer to that for a lot of people is, assuredly, no.

As long as he's on "your" side, the smart(er) people can just tell him what to do. It's not him they care about, it's the +1 seat he occupies. They'd vote for a potted plant if it meant +1 GOP Senate seat.

This is why all that matters is turnout.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-19-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #6444
Ksyrup

Quote:

If this is true, surely this violates SOMETHING, right? RIGHT?!

Old 09-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #6445
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And people have, of course, been investigating (i.e. trying to find) the "companies" that transported the asylum seekers to Massachusetts. But it is looking more and more like they are shell corps that don't really exist.

But (and here's the good part), they also were companies that got PPP loans, representing that they had 30+ employees. Which seems like complete and total fraud at this point.

So it may be that someone decided to use their PPP fraud company as an essential part of a scheme designed to draw lots and lots of public attention and scrutiny.

We will have to see how it all shakes out, but this seems to be going into "Are you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy?" territory.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-19-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #6446
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: to continue to describe this with movie/TV quotes, I imagine that this was one of those get high on your own supply moments.

I am sure the folks behind this were so convinced that the people in liberal Massachusetts would act so horribly that that would be the only story to come out of it. They didn't think that anyone would have any other reaction. The problem with living only in your own bubble.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #6447
Atocep
Coordinator

Question

I'm curious to see how it plays out. I'm not a legal expert but I'm not sure what laws, if any, were broken by transporting them. It's not kidnapping or trafficking. I think misuse of government funds and fraud are the most likely investigation targets, but again I'm not a legal expert.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #6448
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Federal kidnapping requires force or threatened force. I think that some states have a kidnapping by fraud type law. But I really am not sure.

I don't know if the stunt itself was illegal. But it seems like a pretty shady conglomeration of organizations was behind it, and they have now shown a pretty big spotlight on themselves.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #6449
GrantDawg

Quote:
I'm curious to see how it plays out. I'm not a legal expert but I'm not sure what laws, if any, were broken by transporting them. It's not kidnapping or trafficking. I think misuse of government funds and fraud are the most likely investigation targets, but again I'm not a legal expert.
But with those two, you can add the RICO statute as well I'm pretty sure. There is definitely a multi-state conspiracy to commit multiple crimes.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:29 PM   #6450
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola: to continue to describe this with movie/TV quotes, I imagine that this was one of those get high on your own supply moments.

I am sure the folks behind this were so convinced that the people in liberal Massachusetts would act so horribly that that would be the only story to come out of it. They didn't think that anyone would have any other reaction. The problem with living only in your own bubble.

What's been so transparently ridiculous is the "Libs DEPORTED the migrants from Martha's Vineyard" narrative they've tried to spin. I suppose it works with the people they want it to.