Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
RIP: John McCain

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...ate-giant-dies
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

R.I.P.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...unt?src=usn_tw
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

Obama with some very kind words:
Old 08-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn that was quick.

RIP
Old 08-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

I had as much respect for him as anyone in politics, always tried to put all of those he represented over the party line. RIP
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I had as much respect for him as anyone in politics, always tried to put all of those he represented over the party line. RIP

Yeah, we need more of those on both sides of the aisle, there are not many, if any left like he and Lieberman.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

One of our closest friends had a grandfather who was a big time naval admiral. We were lucky enough to go to a ceremony honoring him and McCain was the key note speaker. We were at the reception with our friend and McCain came over to her with a shot of whiskey. He said, “I’d like to tell you a little about your grandfather.” (She never knew him.) “when I was 17 and enlisting; I met your grandfather. He asked me if I drank. I said no. He handed me a shot of whiskey and said, now you do.” He went on to talk glowingly about her grandfather and then she and the Senator had a toast together.

RIP

Last edited by digamma : 08-25-2018 at 08:44 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

RIP
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

RIP

He was one of the few remaining that reminded me of what the Republican Party was when I was growing up. His death only moves us even further away.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

His last act as Senator was not resigning when he could no longer work so that a special election could be had so that the people democratically elect his replacement. Instead he hung on to a position so that his party could retain control of a Senate seat by putting in place an un-elected Senator.

I understand the well wishes for his service and such, but his last act was literally putting party over people.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
His last act as Senator was not resigning when he could no longer work so that a special election could be had so that the people democratically elect his replacement. Instead he hung on to a position so that his party could retain control of a Senate seat by putting in place an un-elected Senator.

I understand the well wishes for his service and such, but his last act was literally putting party over people.

He was a politician, not a saint.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Whatever his motives are, won't make a difference here. Kyrsten Sinema is the odds on favorite to take Jeff Flakes seat, which would give Arizona the only Dem flip they were going to get.

Doug Ducey has already made it clear he will not appoint anyone who lobbied for McCain's seat while he was alive, which eliminates that self centered Bitch Kelli Ward and Arpaio, who will both likely lose (Arpaio is a distant 3rd anyway) to McSally in tomorrows primary.

Part of me believes he really didn't think he would go that fast. Regardless, he crossed lines enough to do what he thought was best for all people here, so I can forgive him for being a politician at the end as Chief Rum said. There are early rumblings that Cindy McCain may be appointed and it is not without precedent, so you know she would carry on his positions.

Bottom line is did what most would have done, nothing really to see there.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #16
molson
General Manager

There's plenty of things to reasonably criticize McCain for, of course, but I'll remember him as kind of the last stand in Republican leadership against what the party became. It's so obvious in retrospect when you see this stuff how a Trump could rise. We're just lucky it was a buffoon instead of someone more competent.

And McCain was part of that rise by choosing Sarah Palin, though, I think history tells us now that this was a mistake he was talked/threatened into rather than a conscious choice about the future of the party.

I know these people have been the Republican base for a long time but until shortly after this, I felt like I still had a choice in elections. Now the choice is just whether you want to vote for the white supremacist party or against it, and that really sucks because it takes away choice from normal people and makes so much irrelevant.

Flashback: McCain tells supporter Obama is 'a decent... - YouTube

You can kind of imagine Trump just sitting there - "why the hell doesn't this idiot just go along with these yokels, they'd follow him anywhere!".

Last edited by molson : 08-28-2018 at 12:02 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Whatever his motives are, won't make a difference here. Kyrsten Sinema is the odds on favorite to take Jeff Flakes seat, which would give Arizona the only Dem flip they were going to get.

Doug Ducey has already made it clear he will not appoint anyone who lobbied for McCain's seat while he was alive, which eliminates that self centered Bitch Kelli Ward and Arpaio, who will both likely lose (Arpaio is a distant 3rd anyway) to McSally in tomorrows primary.

Man, you think she would've changed her name by now, or go by the middle name or SOMETHING.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

McCain was first and foremost, a man. A US Navy pilot who was shot down in Vietnam. Taken POW and taken to Hanoi. He withstood an incredible amount of torture over 5 years and was the commanding officer in the prison. He helped lead the resistance of other POW's. For over 5 years he remained and even though he was offered the opportunity to leave if he would participate with the Vietnamese, but he would not until everyone was released.

He should have beaten W. He would have been the leader that we needed in that time. He would have been exponentially better than W ever was. By the time he came up against Obama though, he had tacked away from what he had been, and it cost him, I think.

If we had more men, like him, in leadership roles on both sides, the country would be better off.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-28-2018 at 07:58 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Man, you think she would've changed her name by now, or go by the middle name or SOMETHING.

Nah, the alternatives would only be worse.

Seriously though, she has more than earned that title over the years here.