Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #251
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I am struggling with the notion that my favorite NFC team has or will acquire 3 of my 5 least favorite players in the NFL. How does one reconcile this? Should the focus be on weighing the positives against the negatives?

I'd just cross my fingers and pray that Vontaze Burfict does not become available.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #252
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

He's suspended anyways so you're safe for a couple games at least.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #253
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'd just cross my fingers and pray that Vontaze Burfict does not become available.

and he’s first on my least favorite list. Maybe my question is especially pertinent to Bengals fans.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #254
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Jaguars acquire QB Kessler in trade with Browns
Old 03-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #255
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2 firsts for OBJ seems ok when some team is just going to shit themself on this year's version of Johnathan Baldwin or Craig Davis
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #256
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Colts GM was opposed to tabled 'Josh McDaniels rule' - NFL.com

Well that's interesting
Old 03-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #257
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Hue Jackson dreams of pairing Bradley Chubb with Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Coach Hue Jackson seems to have one candidate in mind — defensive lineman Bradley Chubb, who he admitted he has dreamt about drafting and pairing with Myles Garrett.

“I do at nighttime when I’m by myself,” Jackson said

Looks like Jackson has a chubby for Chubb. Is this smokescreen or will Chubb be gone by the 4th pick? I was kind of hoping he'd fall to the Colts.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #258
Thomkal
Head Coach

Mark Rypien talks about his mental health issues after three concussions from his NFL playing days including a suicide attempt:

Mark Rypien, former Super Bowl MVP for Washington Redskins, says he attempted suicide
Old 04-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #259
Atocep
Coordinator

Fantastic story about Stedman Bailey's comeback attempt.

'I Can't Be Stopped': Stedman Bailey Opens Up on Shooting, NFL Comeback Attempt | Bleacher Report
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #260
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Mark Rypien talks about his mental health issues after three concussions from his NFL playing days including a suicide attempt:

Mark Rypien, former Super Bowl MVP for Washington Redskins, says he attempted suicide

Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #261
Thomkal
Head Coach

Rams looking scary good:

Rams acquire Brandin Cooks in trade with Patriots - NFL.com
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #262
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So we basically got a free year of Cooks & moved up from 32 to 23 in the process? Sweet.

I assume the Pats will definitely be going after a veteran WR. I suppose with this precedent an ODB trade is on the table from our side if we think we can do the same thing and get a year of his service & flip him for a comparable return before he gets PAID. Signing Jordan Matthews on an incentive/roster bonus laden deal seems much more likely.

I also assume that that pick will be spent on a lineman or LB/TE, possibly after a trade back or two, and not a WR or QB. But nothing will shock me, and like I've said before, if one of Darnold/Rosen slip on draft day I'd be happy to take them later in the first round. I'd also be fine with Mayfield/Jackson/Woodside 2nd round or later.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #263
AlexB
Pro Starter

I'm reading it you kept 32, which sounds like a hell of a deal...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I'm reading it you kept 32, which sounds like a hell of a deal...
I mean we traded #32 in last year's draft for #23 this year & that year of cheap Brandin Cooks. (yes, there was some swapping of 3's & 4's & 6's in there, but they were more or less a wash.)

This year our pick isn't #32, it's #31

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-03-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #265
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I mean we traded #32 in last year's draft for #23 this year & that year of cheap Brandin Cooks. (yes, there was some swapping of 3's & 4's & 6's in there, but they were more or less a wash.)

Maybe Bill is going to cough up the two first rounds and a second to get in the top 5 spots of the first to get Rosen?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #266
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

I see
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:08 AM   #267
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Maybe Bill is going to cough up the two first rounds and a second to get in the top 5 spots of the first to get Rosen?
That would be wildly out of character, and it also probably wouldn't be enough - the Jets just traded 6, 37, 49 & next year's 2nd (presumably a high 2nd), for pick #3. And it's not like Brady has announced he's retiring after next season or looks like he will at this point. If Rosen (or Darnold) slides, maybe they make a play for them, but using picks to fill out the roster and get a developmental QB late 1st or day 2 makes much more sense.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #268
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So after seeing the new Titans kits, I hope there's some sort of snafu where the Titans and Seahawks equipment managers both bring their blue sets of jerseys for a head to head matchup.

Last edited by stevew : 04-05-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #269
miked
College Starter

Quote:
So we basically got a free year of Cooks & moved up from 32 to 23 in the process? Sweet.

I assume the Pats will definitely be going after a veteran WR. I suppose with this precedent an ODB trade is on the table from our side if we think we can do the same thing and get a year of his service & flip him for a comparable return before he gets PAID. Signing Jordan Matthews on an incentive/roster bonus laden deal seems much more likely.

I also assume that that pick will be spent on a lineman or LB/TE, possibly after a trade back or two, and not a WR or QB. But nothing will shock me, and like I've said before, if one of Darnold/Rosen slip on draft day I'd be happy to take them later in the first round. I'd also be fine with Mayfield/Jackson/Woodside 2nd round or later.

They will trade the 1st for a few 2nds and a 3rd, everyone will laud the move as monumental. They will use the picks to draft a center, a fullback, and some DE who were overlooked in the combine but fit the "Patriot way" and are "Belichick guys" in some way. The FB will rush for 230 yards in week and instantly be named the next Barry Sanders (and be the biggest waiver pickup) until he drops a pass in practice the following week and is inactive until week 14.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #270
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cleveland has now traded all of their QB's from last season, as they have traded Chris Hogan to Washington, who will also have a completely new QB roster as well:

Cleveland Browns trade Kevin Hogan to Washington Redskins
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #271
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Patriots did indeed sign Jordan Matthews (and Troy Niklas) to one year prove it deals. I really like it, because even as a Pats homer I shake my head at the people who were saying Malcolm Mitchell is a star in the making and could replace Cooks on the outside. I hope Mitchell does reach his potential, but I think he's missed as many games due to injury as he has catches in his first two seasons. Matthews had the injury problems last season, but 3 seasons in the 70 catch, 800ish yard range that'll fit right in the Pats system.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #272
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In five years, I think that we will look back on the 1st round QBs in this order:

[QUALITY STARTERS]

Rosen
Mayfield

[STARTER]

Darnold

[BACKUPS]

Jackson
Rudolph

[DUMPSTER FIRE]

Allen
Old 04-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #273
Logan
Head Coach

Starting to sound like Reuben Foster may be a really bad dude.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #274
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Starting to sound like Reuben Foster may be a really bad dude.

Saints were on the phone with him welcoming him to the team when the 49ers traded up to take him one pick before the Saints. Saints ended up drafting Ryan Ramczyk, who played every snap last year.

This shit is 90% luck.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #275
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looked like Colin Kaepernick was on his way back to the NFL but...

Seahawks postpone workout for Colin Kaepernick - NFL.com
Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #276
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dez Bryant got fired.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #277
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Dez Bryant got fired.

I love Dez but it's painfully obvious he was getting no separation from defenders and his hands aren't good enough to be a Keyshawn Johnson style possession guy. Not at the price he was being paid anyway.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #278
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't even know he was still in the league

Mark Sanchez suspended 4 games for violating NFL's PED policy
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #279
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if Sanchez and NBA guy Jodi Meeks were using the same supplement ? I know claiming “tainted” is right out of the cheater handbook but it has to happen occasionally, right?
Old 04-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #280
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder if Sanchez and NBA guy Jodi Meeks were using the same supplement ? I know claiming “tainted” is right out of the cheater handbook but it has to happen occasionally, right?

It happens, but in bodybuilding and MMA, the "taint" is a feature, not a bug. The pills can get on the shelves and websites based on what they claim to be, but there's no regulations, and the pills are sold on reputation and results. And savvy users understand that that the ingredients of certain pills aren't going to be limited to what's listed on the label. Almost every single UFC fighter who fails a drug test (and there's 10+ a year) claim "tainted supplements", and, they're almost all right. But that's the game. Most regular athletes don't have a big outfit like BALCO at their disposal, they're accessing banned substances through supplements, either intentionally, or through a choice to be willfully ignorant.

Last edited by molson : 04-14-2018 at 10:40 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #281
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Report: Baker Mayfield to Jets 'a done deal'
Old 04-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #282
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

He'd be the best QB the Jets have had since Pennington if they get him.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #283
miked
College Starter

Sanchize v2. Do the Jets not learn?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #284
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Headline: Baker Mayfield to Jets 'a done deal'

From inside of story:

Quote:
Perhaps the only way Mayfield doesn’t land on Gang Green’s roster this year is if Sam Darnold ends up falling and is there at No. 3.

So, it's a "done deal." The only way it won't happen is if he's not on the board or if there's another player on the board who they like better.

Honest question--how much do people get paid to write stuff like this? Not the Adam Schefters and Ian Rapoports who actually have insiders and break news or the Bill Barnwells who write long articles based on research

But the people who write online sports articles with provocative headlines that actually say nothing. Like, do they make a living on that, or is it just kind of a side hustle for fractions of a penny per click?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #285
Logan
Head Coach

Plenty make a living doing it (although not as many as there used to be) and plenty more do it for pennies per click in the hopes of eventually making a living doing it.

It's shocking how little I read about sports these days.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #286
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I haven't been keeping up with this thread a ton, but a few offseason observations:

-I cannot help but like the Jags now. I love the way they are building that team, and really hope they continue to develop from here. I sense regression as a real possibility, but I think it's really cool -- especially from the perspective of a homegame GM guy who loves-loves-loves the whole concept of roster building toward a certain type of goal.

-I am fascinated and titillated by the Rams and their apparent "go for it" mode, which is seemingly all but new to the NFL, at least for teams who are not yet there. If it's just a function of "cheap but good QB" I'm ok with that as an outcome of the cap system, but it's fun to watch. The 1yr deal with Suh is tremendous.

-As a guy who has some residual love for the Dolphins... WTF are they doing? I'm basically okay deciding not to overpay a good-not-great slot receiver and even getting a pick for him, and I could defer to their judgment on Suh as a team cancer. Okay, but what is this team trying to do? And when are they hiring their next GM, cuz I could do better.

Anyway, I confess to being sorta sick of the old guard, and would be fine if the next few years got non-fans saying "who are these guys?" deep into the playoffs. Go Jags, Go Rams, Go ... idano...Browns?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #287
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Anyway, I confess to being sorta sick of the old guard

Yes. At least in the NFC I wouldn't mind seeing a couple years of LA/MIN/PHI battling it out.

In the AFC, sure - I can get behind JAX. Anyone but NE, and go ahead and give PIT the boot too.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #288
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If the Browns make the right choice at QB they will be a good team in a few seasons. As it is, Taylor ought to give them a solid shot at 6 wins this year I think. They're doing the right thing sticking with Hue.

FUCK EA
Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #289
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
go ahead and give PIT the boot too.

This sounds pretty agreeable to me.

FUCK EA
Old 04-20-2018, 01:23 AM   #290
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Any thoughts on the schedule?

Man, if the Rams go into the playoffs as the #1 seed in the NFC, they will have earned it. They play MIN on a short week in September and greet PHI at home in December. In between those games, they play only two games in LA over the ten games (a third "home" game is versus the Chiefs in Mexico City).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-20-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #291
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So, it's a "done deal." The only way it won't happen is if he's not on the board or if there's another player on the board who they like better.

Honest question--how much do people get paid to write stuff like this? Not the Adam Schefters and Ian Rapoports who actually have insiders and break news or the Bill Barnwells who write long articles based on research

But the people who write online sports articles with provocative headlines that actually say nothing. Like, do they make a living on that, or is it just kind of a side hustle for fractions of a penny per click?
I like Schefty, but even he wrote a big article for clicks that boiled down to "everyone around the Patriots and Tom Brady think Brady is playing in 2018, but he hasn't explicitly stated he will yet" last week. Bad editing, click-based metrics, the faster news cycle that requires pushing out new content are all part of the problem.

(Fwiw, I think he'll still play as long as Brady does, but there is a legitimate chance Gronk could retire. Brady is 100% playing, and despite missing a couple days of voluntary workouts is already lining up passing sessions with WR's.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
-As a guy who has some residual love for the Dolphins... WTF are they doing? I'm basically okay deciding not to overpay a good-not-great slot receiver and even getting a pick for him, and I could defer to their judgment on Suh as a team cancer. Okay, but what is this team trying to do? And when are they hiring their next GM, cuz I could do better.
Yeah, none of the individual moves are terrible in a vacuum, but there seems to be no overall vision. We'll see if they draft a 1st round QB & try to set things up around him going forward, but right now everything is kind of a holding pattern. Like, sure, maybe you don't think Jarvis Landry is worth $15m mil a year... but you think Kenny Stills + Danny Amendola is? Idk, I know he's not a dynamic deep threat and doesn't score enough touchdowns for fantasy owners, but he got so many first downs and drew so much attention it wasn't empty stats - https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dol...eptions-chart/ - and I don't think the contract he signed is crazy (basically a 2 yr $32m deal with 3 1 year $14m options afterwards.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-20-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #292
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Both the Jags and Miami just nailed their uniform changes.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #293
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What's going on with Eli Manning? How bad is it?

NFL has no comment on Eli Manning’s pending fraud trial – ProFootballTalk

Maybe the Giants should take a QB at number 2.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #294
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Two QBs in this draft fascinate me in terms of a huge split between NFL insiders and educated fans: Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

Most fans I see talking about the draft see Allen as JaMarcus Russel type bust and Lamar Jackson as an exciting DeShaun Watson type talent.

But pretty much every reporter who actually has access to team thinking has Allen clearly ahead of Jackson.

I'm really interested to see in five years who was right.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-23-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #295
Logan
Head Coach

I'd be shocked if it took that long.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #296
Logan
Head Coach

With Mayfield now getting some pub as the possible #1 pick for the Browns, you can now find major media people who have said they are locked in on Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield.

Which means Rosen has to be their guy, right?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #297
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Nah, the Browns are getting Barkley and Chubb
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #298
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
With Mayfield now getting some pub as the possible #1 pick for the Browns, you can now find major media people who have said they are locked in on Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield.

Which means Rosen has to be their guy, right?

And Barkley.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #299
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Andrew Luck still isn't throwing? This seems like a disaster looming for the Colts. He hasn't thrown a football in more than a year and is supposed to be ready this fall? Seems unlikely.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #300
Logan
Head Coach

Don't think anyone cares, but I want a record of this to come back to. My personal rankings of the big QBs in this draft, in terms of how I expect their careers will go:

1. Rosen
2. Darnold
3. Jackson
4. Mayfield
5. Allen

Plan on updating it as necessary once the selections are made to see if team/fit changes things for me.