Resident Alien

Good. Fuck Bielema.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #152
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
As it's been said on twitter...has he actually signed his contract yet?

It's already become a point of contention in the State internet fanbase. Most are confident he's signed and won't reneg on it, but there are a few who actually think NC State $#!+ will happen and he will go to Wisconsin anyway. What can you do?

There's also rampant speculation (no doubt rivalry fueled in some way) that Larry Fedora's trying to either get the Tennessee job or use it as leverage to boost his contract at UNC.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #153
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Good. Fuck Bielema.

You'll hate the next coach and accuse him of running up the score (despite not passing the ball) when the Badgers continue to trounce IU with their 3rd stringers.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #154
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Um, really? Alvarez had some great years, but Bielema has the better record.

Alverez took over a program where the previous two coaches had winning percentages of .250 and .181 while Bielema was handed a program that had won ten games the previous year. Bielema also took over the same year the NCAA expanded the season to 12 games allowing for one more cream puff victory a year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #155
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Alverez took over a program where the previous two coaches had winning percentages of .250 and .181 while Bielema was handed a program that had won ten games the previous year. Bielema also took over the same year the NCAA expanded the season to 12 games allowing for one more cream puff victory a year.
Alvarez did a fantastic job reviving a near-dead program. His run through 2000 was terrific. But you can't ignore that the Badgers slipped after that; he got them back in the right direction in his last two years, and set up Bielema nicely. But also give Bielema credit for building on what Alvarez left behind. It's not easy following a legend, and he did better than most do.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #156
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

bye butthead
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #157
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I can't wait to hear the people that are so glad BB is gone in a few years when Wisconsin hasn't been to a Rose Bowl in a while.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #158
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I can't wait to hear the people that are so glad BB is gone in a few years when Wisconsin hasn't been to a Rose Bowl in a while.

I'll just give the credit to Montee Ball.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #159
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
You'll hate the next coach and accuse him of running up the score (despite not passing the ball) when the Badgers continue to trounce IU with their 3rd stringers.
I guess time will tell. Gotta admit, it's not just me who thinks the guy is an ass.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #160
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I guess time will tell. Gotta admit, it's not just me who thinks the guy is an ass.

I'll admit that because I think he's an ass too. But that's all for off the field reasons.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #161
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not thrilled at all with the news of Bielema leaving. Not the greatest game coach but there is no questioning his ability to coach up his teams.

I've been pretty bummed all afternoon.

Kodos, just stop. I'm over it. You can get over it, too.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #162
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Apparently Bielema wants to coach the Rose Bowl and the University doesn't want him to.

Duh and duh.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #163
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Duh and duh.

Pitt hired Chryst away from Wisconsin before last year's Rose Bowl but Chryst stayed on board for the Rose Bowl. Obviously not the same situation really but still..

Regardless, I would not want him there either. Fuck him.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #164
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Reaction I've seen has been mixed to positive. Most of the negatives have to do with the fact that he wasn't at NIU very long (in a sense, it still wasn't "his" program, but he maintained someone else's work), that he was from NIU, period (that is, he's a lower-level college coach and not a high-major one), and that he was a defensive coach before becoming head coach (after years of an O'Brien/Bible offense, fans are keen for something more...inventive, I guess is the right word).

My own personal take is that this is very much a high risk/high reward hire. He's relatively young, has had some recruiting success in the past when he was assistant at Wisconsin (Montee Ball has been mentioned as one of his pickups), and coming from the MAC, he's relatively inexpensive. So, if he turns out well enough, hopefully it means we've gotten someone we could have around for quite a while and hopefully we'll be big enough to only face the occasional poaching threat from an SEC school. If he doesn't, then he's still not going to cost a whole lot to let go. Is it a home run hire? No. But, there were few that were (State's not getting anybody out of the SEC, for example) and some of those had issues that precluded their hire anyway (ahem, Bobby Petrino).

So, while not a headline-grabbing hire, it has a lot of potential and it looks decent after he coached NIU to the MAC title last night (and that win likely made accepting his hire a bit easier...I'm pretty sure the hire would have been ripped pretty hard had NIU got blown out last night).

Sorry I've been away a few days, my take fwiw, is that ncsu got a good one here. He will outwork most of the local recruiters and bring a passion and energy that ncsu has been missing.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #165
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Gus Malzahn accepts Auburn Tigers coaching job - ESPN

Not thrilled with this as a 'Bama fan.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #166
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

I'm pretty sure OSU will take care of Wisconsin's division winning ways.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #167
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I can't wait to see what kind of offense he builds down there. Wisconsin is pretty much anti what Arkansas has been running.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #168
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm actually pretty impressed with most of the new hires so far.

I think Steve Addazio is a great hire for BC. Malzahn is a great choice. Really like Darrell Hazell for Purdue (if/when it is finalized) and Doeren seems like a good pick up for NC State (although I'm not sure those two are great jobs right now, so they may have challenges that go beyond their control).

Bielema seems like a great hire on paper, but I'm not sure he's the right style for Arkansas or the SEC.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #169
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Apparently Bielema wants to coach the Rose Bowl and the University doesn't want him to.

don't blame them
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #170
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I'm not thrilled at all with the news of Bielema leaving. Not the greatest game coach but there is no questioning his ability to coach up his teams.

I've been pretty bummed all afternoon.

Kodos, just stop. I'm over it. You can get over it, too.

It has to be kind of an ego hit when you consider your program an elite job and someone leaves it for another one.

Seems to me like this is a lateral move at best.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #171
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Do Wisconsin fans really consider it an elite job? I wouldn't. I agree that it is more of a lateral one than anything.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #172
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Do Wisconsin fans really consider it an elite job? I wouldn't. I agree that it is more of a lateral one than anything.

I think many do and I guess it depends on your definition of elite.

They play in the Big 10, been to 3 straight rose bowls, highly ranked, and have the ability to compete for a national title with a few key wins. Not many better jobs.

Are they Alabama, LSU, Texas, USC? No, but in the next group probably

Last edited by Lathum : 12-04-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #173
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I think it would be tough to argue it as better as the fifth best job in the conference behind Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State. You can argue Penn State's scandal will hurt them enough to drop it lower or that Michigan State is in the same range, but I think Wisconsin is pretty solidly fifth.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #174
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

To paraphrase a great man: A Wisconsin man will coach a Wisconsin team.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #175
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I can only speak for myself, but not really. When I think elite jobs within the Big Ten, I think Ohio State and probably Michigan. We're only two coaches removed from Don Morton at Wisconsin.

Wisconsin athletics traditionally doesn't go for big splashes in its hires anyway. Bielema wasn't exactly a high profile hire. Ultimately my expectation is something along the lines of Seahawks offensive coordinator and former Wisconsin QB Darrell Bevell.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #176
tarcone
Coordinator

You are high if you think Wisky is an elite job. Or close to it. Its been said here that BB got the best recruits he could (Lots of 3 star players) and coached them up. Elite programs get the 5 star guys.
5th best job in the B1G? No. Iowa is a better job. Iowa has great facilities, a rabid fan base in one fo the toughest places to play. AND it will pay its football coach $3.8 million a year for 4 wins. You cant beat that.
Wisky is a nice job for the right guy. BB is a perfect example of this.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #177
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
You are high if you think Wisky is an elite job. Or close to it. Its been said here that BB got the best recruits he could (Lots of 3 star players) and coached them up. Elite programs get the 5 star guys.
5th best job in the B1G? No. Iowa is a better job. Iowa has great facilities, a rabid fan base in one fo the toughest places to play. AND it will pay its football coach $3.8 million a year for 4 wins. You cant beat that.
Wisky is a nice job for the right guy. BB is a perfect example of this.

Last time Iowa went to the Rose bowl was 1991. Wisconsin has been 6 times since then
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #178
korme
Go Reds

Saying Iowa is a better job than Wisconsin is absolute lunacy
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #179
MrBug708
Head Coach

Speaking as an unbiased PAC-12 fan, I'd rank them as
OSU
Michigan
Nebraska
PSU
Wisconsin
MSU
Iowa
Everyone else
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #180
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Last time Iowa went to the Rose bowl was 1991. Wisconsin has been 6 times since then

You aint kidding. In 2004 Iowa and Wisky were on par. It was a race to see who was the 3rd team. Iowa went south, Wisky went north. Wisky continued to win consistently. Not Iowa.
But that is not what makes a job a good. What the previous coach did.
All the other intangibles is what makes the job what it is. Though, having an established winning track record doesnt hurt.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #181
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Who cares who goes where . MJH is back!!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #182
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Saw this on Twitter earlier and I must agree ... Arkansas should hire a new coach every year just for the awesomeness of it all.

I don't consider any Arkansas coaching hire official for 96 hours. So if Wisconsin wants him back or Pitt needs to fill the hole for Chryst leaving for the Badgers, it's still on.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #183
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Wisconsin is not an "elite" job. But it's a very good one, and one where it's unusual for a head coach to leave for another college job.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #184
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Saying Iowa is a better job than Wisconsin is absolute lunacy

Why? Because Iowa just spent $46 million to upgrade its facilities, primarily for football. Including a new indoor practice facility. Or maybe because Iowa pays its coach. KF is on of the top 6 in pay. Perhaps its rabid fan base? Iowa is definitely a better job then Wisky. And MSU. And now PsU. If you were a coach and any of those 4 offered you a job tomorrow, You would go to Iowa. Just for pay alone. Not saying those other jobs are bad, in fact they are very good jobs. But not on par with Iowa. Unless you are speaking strictly from a wins stand point.

EDIT: And the support. Iowa ranks 13th in the nation in terms of money from boosters. So you have that as well.

Last edited by tarcone : 12-04-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #185
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck Bielema. "I want to win championships..."

Yeah, and Arkansas has a great history of doing just that since joining the SEC in 1989.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #186
RedKingGold
College Starter

Purdue has a more prestigious program than Iowa.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #187
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Why? Because Iowa just spent $46 million to upgrade its facilities, primarily for football. Including a new indoor practice facility. Or maybe because Iowa pays its coach. KF is on of the top 6 in pay. Perhaps its rabid fan base? Iowa is definitely a better job then Wisky. And MSU. And now PsU. If you were a coach and any of those 4 offered you a job tomorrow, You would go to Iowa. Just for pay alone. Not saying those other jobs are bad, in fact they are very good jobs. But not on par with Iowa. Unless you are speaking strictly from a wins stand point.

EDIT: And the support. Iowa ranks 13th in the nation in terms of money from boosters. So you have that as well.

You are missing perhaps the #1 factor that determines how good a program really is independent of coaches: access to talent. Either in one's backyard, or the ability to attract it due to history, reasonably desirable college town, or both. I think an athlete from the suburbs or cities out East, West, or in the South would rather go to Madison than Iowa City. Nothing against Iowa City, and not sayin Madison is anywhere close to LA or Miami, but it is still an obvious step closer from an outsiders perspective. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn. also produce more home talent than Iowa, Michigan quite a decent amount more, Penn. a whole lot more.

If I wanted to win the Big Ten, and I could choose any job, Iowa would probably be near last on my list. That's not to say you can't maximize that potential though. (Or that other colleges can't screw up and minimize their potential, see: Colorado.)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #188
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Who cares about any of that, if I was an athlete, a 18 year old kid who couldn't remember anything past the last decade anyway, I would not want to go to Iowa. At all.

"Unless you are speaking strictly from a wins stand point." Um, yeah.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #189
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

"Unless you are speaking strictly from a wins stand point." Um, yeah.

This was a wtf for me as well. All it says is they pay more for less than any other program. Well done.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #190
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but not really. When I think elite jobs within the Big Ten, I think Ohio State and probably Michigan. We're only two coaches removed from Don Morton at Wisconsin.

Careful; my Bacon number for Don Morton is 1.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #191
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wait, Iowa is now a better job than Penn State?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #192
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Wait, Iowa is now a better job than Penn State?

Forget it, he's rolling.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #193
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Iowa is a better job if you want to go watch some wrasslin after practice.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #194
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Iowa is a few years removed from being a great job. We'll see if they can get back on track this next year. I love that IU's Kevin Wilson is the longest tenured Head Coach in the Leaders division with that being 2011.

As a Boilermaker I am happy with the Darrell Hazell hiring. The current players seem excited according to their twitter reaction which is important. I am hoping he can keep a few of the better commits we have for next year, most importantly QB Danny Etling. I actually have a level of excitement for the program that I haven't had since the Joe Tiller years.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #195
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Speaking as an unbiased PAC-12 fan, I'd rank them as
OSU
Michigan
Nebraska
PSU
Wisconsin
MSU
Iowa
Everyone else

Maybe right now, but historically Michigan is #1.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #196
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Unfuckingbelievable. I'm still pissed. Hopefully we'll land a decent coach. Obviously a guy like Chris Peterson would be great but I know that's pretty damn unlikely.

In the end it will be a quiet name, unfortunately for the fans but possibly fortunately for recruits and keeping things somewhat in order... that would mean a guy like the DC for the Badgers, Charlie Partridge...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #197
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sure Peterson will be falling all over himself to go to Wisconsin!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #198
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh, and Tarcone is delusional too. Iowa is probably like the 7th best job in the Big Ten.

OSU
Michigan
Penn State
Nebraskas
MSU
Wisconsin?
Iowa?

I'll tell you what. IU is the southernmost team in the Big Ten. Has a beautiful campus. Has an AD that has committed resources to improving our facilities and coaching staff. We have already stolen Latham from Wisconsin, and that was before anyone had an idea that Bieldouche would bail. If Kevin Wilson sticks around long enough, Iowa and Wisconsin will both be in our rearview mirror soon enough. I'm liking the direction things are heading in.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-04-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #199
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure Peterson will be falling all over himself to go to Wisconsin!

Precisely why I said it would be great to land a guy like Peterson but highly unlikely.

Just continue being an asshole, though.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-04-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #200
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Sorry I've been away a few days, my take fwiw, is that ncsu got a good one here. He will outwork most of the local recruiters and bring a passion and energy that ncsu has been missing.

Tom O'Brien lacked passion and energy? Really? All this time I thought he was a seething cauldron of energy behind that methodical staredown of the patch of grass in front of him.

As for his recruiting, I'm happy that he's got that reputation, but he's an outsider in this part of the country and the waters in North Carolina are a lot choppier--decent talent pool, but stretched way too thin between all the in-state schools with all the cream getting skimmed off the top by Clemson, VT, FSU, and all the SEC raiders every year (see Gurley, Todd). If he can use his Midwest connections to bring in some good OL, plus maybe some skill recruits that rate highly, but are passed over by the Big 10 schools, then he can offset that issue some. In this part of the country, however, he's got to find a way to re-establish the pipeline Amato had into Florida for a while and also get better at recruiting into South Carolina and Georgia if he's going to have any chance of doing better than O'Brien did.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote