Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #4051
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think that Arya might be the one to kill the Night King. They made such a big story about having her weapon made.

I kind of hope so. Her chapters were such a drag for me in the books once she left Westeros that I'd like to imagine it was for some grand purpose.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #4052
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think that Arya might be the one to kill the Night King. They made such a big story about having her weapon made.

Seems like she's going to carry the heir to the Baratheon throne, too.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #4053
bob
College Starter

Arya and Gendry rule at the end. Robert told Ned he wanted one of his sons to marry one of his daughters and rule.

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #4054
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I mean, it's possible to have enjoyed the last two episodes and be disappointed that a full third of our final season ever is basically just set-up work.

Yup. I said to my wife about 45 minutes in that people are gonna be pissed if some killings don’t happen soon. That being said I have enjoyed the first two episodes.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #4055
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Interesting theory going around though - Night King himself is leading a smaller army straight south for King's Landing, and won't be at Winterfell.

I hope something like this is happening. The humans hiding behind fixed fortifications in a wide open area while the army of the dead needlessly attacks the only place the humans are strong like a battle between Ambrose Burnside and Braxton Bragg for the outcome of the Civil War.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #4056
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That episode was amazing. One of the best of the series. I am emotionally spent.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #4057
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Was anyone else just mildly creeped out with the abbreviated Arya & Gendry scene? She still has such a babyface, and considering how young she was when the series started....weird.

And yes. I've been expecting zombie Starks to rise up for a long, long time. Kinda wondered for awhile, "You know...given the enemy, maybe leaving your ancestors buried and not burned under your primary stronghold isn't the best course of action."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #4058
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Was anyone else just mildly creeped out with the abbreviated Arya & Gendry scene? She still has such a babyface, and considering how young she was when the series started....weird.

Yeah, part of me felt a little like I shouldn't be seeing this. But she is 21 now.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #4059
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, part of me felt a little like I shouldn't be seeing this. But she is 21 now.

Yeah, rationally, I know she's well of age. Still.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #4060
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That episode was amazing. One of the best of the series. I am emotionally spent.

I'm with you!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #4061
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I kind of hope so. Her chapters were such a drag for me in the books once she left Westeros that I'd like to imagine it was for some grand purpose.

It would be a nice payoff from the training arc that nobody really loved. Could she disguise herself as a wight to get close to him?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #4062
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I thought it was a fantastic episode, but still am a bit disappointing that 2 episodes of a 6 episode final season was taken up with reunions and set up. Seems like we'll have a super long Battle of Winterfell next week, so that's fun. I'd also imagine that's when we'll see Melissandre come back (would be interesting to see Davos' face at that moment).
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #4063
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
They're not going to wrap that up half-way through the final season and then spend the last 3 episodes of the series on their "B" Story.

Well the show is called "Game of Thrones", so one could argue that's the A story (counter point: the book series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire").
Old 04-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #4064
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well the show is called "Game of Thrones", so one could argue that's the A story (counter point: the book series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire").

Which could still be construed as the journey of Stark/Jon and Targaryen/Dany. Ice zombies showing up is just part of the song, not the whole song.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #4065
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I'm pulling for Gendry to lay claim to the throne.

As far as the amount of time left, there's at least 4 hours of show time, maybe more (I don't think HBO has time slot limits). That's about 2 movies worth, so they can still get a lot done in that amount of time.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #4066
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I'm pulling for Gendry to lay claim to the throne.

As far as the amount of time left, there's at least 4 hours of show time, maybe more (I don't think HBO has time slot limits). That's about 2 movies worth, so they can still get a lot done in that amount of time.

The episode lengths have been reported, and there's 5 hours and 18 minutes left.

The showrunners' originally pitched plan was to do a theatrical trilogy instead of a final season. Which is basically what we ended up getting, 432 minutes, the equivalent of 3 movies that are each 2 hours and 22 minutes long.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #4067
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm with you!
+1 and I didn't love the first episode, which felt more like sterile reunions. Sure this is exactly why I thought they could easily stretch out these past two seasons by a few more episodes without breaking the bank (even if they needed to leave half the actors out of each episode so they could avoid appearance fees), but I'm not holding it over that episodes head.
Quote:
Ehh, I thought that was to set up her & Gendry. It's easy to forget no one in Westeros knows what Arya is. The Hound and Sansa (and I guess the northern lords who were there during the Baelish killing) understand she's a killer and Brienne had that sparring practice with her, but even they don't know the extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Who you got in the dead pool for the next few episodes? Seems like some serious foreshadowing tonight...

Brienne seems the obvious one. I'm envisioning Jaime having to finish her off while a heartbroken Tormund is restrained. I'd say Jaime might sacrifice himself for her but he's obviously got much bigger storylines to be involved in.

Gendry probably isn't making it much longer, although I wonder if they'd have the stones to kill off Arya instead.

I can see both Davos and Jorah being the kind of well loved periphery characters that are both gonna get it. With the handoff of the sword I expect Jorah is going to heroically save somebody before being zombified.

Greyworm is a goner if you've watched any movie, ever.

And of course the million dollar question given the last scene, which one of Dany and Jon is making it to the end?
Oh yeah, put all my money on Greyworm not making it to those Summer Isles with Missandei. Jorah killing a white walker or two to save Dany in the Godswood during his death would make a ton of sense (but hey, I still can't believe how cheap they made Barristan Selmy's death, so maybe they won't go the obvious route). If Davos is in the crypts he could be an obvious one to be killed by zombie Starks or white walkers if they know secret entrances - Sam is the other one down there and I won't be sad to see him (and Gilly) go since it seems he's served his purpose.

Not sure if Brienne will die - could also see Tormund sacrificing himself for her. You're probably right that Jaime has more stuff with Cersei to come. I'm 50/50 on Gendry too - I don't think they'll be together at the end and I doubt Arya makes it, so I could see Gendry at least survive this battle and outlast her.

And can we talk about the complete lack of planning in that war room scene? I get that we don't need to hear about infantry tactics and it's a writing trope that you don't want multiple plans being offered before they settle on one, but we went from their whole plan centering on killing the Night King instead of beating the whole army, Bran announcing that he can and wants to be bait in the Godswood, to Theon Greyjoy and his motley crew of Ironborn being his only protectors in like 30 seconds? I despise the Theon Greyjoy redemption arc, but even if you accept that Sansa especially can forgive him he's still not a very good or proven fighter. Shouldn't we stick a couple more boss characters like The Hound and Jorah or Arya out there with him too?

Just like Jon riding the dragon last week, Bran showing he still has a freaking mark on his arm from the Night King kinda felt like it should have been much more of a holy shit moment from the characters on screen instead of a hey that's cool, but can we wrap this up so we can get back to talking about our feelings for each other moment.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #4068
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The other part that I get from a storytelling perspective but seemed so out of place compared to normal human behavior was what they did with Jaime Lannister. Dany's worried him slitting her throat, so even after Brienne vouches for him maybe they can say, hey awesome, we won't kill you and you can fight for us, but you're sleeping outside with the regular soldiers and not walking around the castle unchaperoned? It's not like that whole fireplace scene where he knights Brienne couldn't have happened at a campfire instead of a hearth.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #4069
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The military parts are all fucked up. I already mentioned the stupidity of both the humans and the Night King in choosing to fight at Winterfell. If the goal is using the fortifications of Winterfell, why is the army on the fields outside? What's up with that trench that isn't deep enough to stop anyone? What's up with the "collapsing" bridge over a three foot deep trench? Why do the fortifications have dragon glass when it's scarce and could have been much better used as thousands of arrow heads? Why is the commander of the left flank not with the troops a few hours before the pivotal battle for humanity? Why are they defending seemingly only one side of the castle?
Old 04-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #4070
bob
College Starter

I thought I remember them saying they were going to set the moat on fire, but maybe my mind made that up in my sleep.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #4071
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What about the dragons? 2v1 dead dragon.. interested to see how that's going to play out. I think Arya will throw her dragon glass spear at it, they did show how deadly accurate she is with throwing stuff... or maybe she throws it through the Night King's heart?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-22-2019 at 12:41 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #4072
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm starting to think that with all this crypt talk, the people in the crypt are going to get massively owned.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #4073
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm starting to think that with all this crypt talk, the people in the crypt are going to get massively owned.

+1 Feels like the dead are somehow making their entrance through there.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #4074
RainMaker
General Manager

Having people stay in a place with dead bodies seems like a bad strategy when fighting people who can raise the dead to fight for them.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #4075
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The other part that I get from a storytelling perspective but seemed so out of place compared to normal human behavior was what they did with Jaime Lannister. Dany's worried him slitting her throat, so even after Brienne vouches for him maybe they can say, hey awesome, we won't kill you and you can fight for us, but you're sleeping outside with the regular soldiers and not walking around the castle unchaperoned? It's not like that whole fireplace scene where he knights Brienne couldn't have happened at a campfire instead of a hearth.

Jaime is mostly hanging out with Tyrion, which is where I assume he gets his run of the castle.

Anyways, I think the only one guaranteed to make it out alive is Sam. Someone has to write the story after all (esp after that part about in order to kill men, you have to kill their stories).
Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #4076
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Also, he killed her father. This is obviously something that still bothers her to this day. Then you just kind of say "ehh, someone vouched for you so past is past" doesn't seem like something a person would do.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #4077
Logan
Head Coach

I already miss Sepinwall writing his version of recaps of GoT since he moved to Rolling Stone. I like the "deep dive" into one particular scene for each episode he is doing but when the guy Rolling Stone has tapped to do the recap can do the job about 5% as well as Sepinwall, it really stands out.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #4078
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Also, he killed her father. This is obviously something that still bothers her to this day. Then you just kind of say "ehh, someone vouched for you so past is past" doesn't seem like something a person would do.

I'm actually willing to give this one a pass. There are a million things going on in-show right now, andon the spot in front of her assembled court, literally every single one of her advisors is telling her to do trust him. We've already seen several people acknowledge that she needs to earn the Northerners' trust, and publicly disagreeing with both Sansa and Jon seems like a horrible tactical move on Danaerys' part. She was obviously unhappy about it, and we are very open to any number of ways for that to play out. While the remainder of the episode made it seem like everything was hunky-dory, Jaime really was only hanging out with people who are cool with him. He had no other real interaction with people who have cause to hate him.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #4079
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought it was a fantastic episode. The show has had some epic battles, but they typically cannot do more than 2 per season.

I’m coming from the perspective that I’ve watched every episode at the time of, or very near the time, they were released, so I really appreciated a reunion episode.

Davos’ scene with the little girl was great. His relationship with Shireen and her death were really powerful, but something that I had not thought about recently. Reminds you how long the war has been going on.

I also really thought the scene between Dani and Sansa was smooth. Sansa has the chops and it is hard to envision both of them alive in the end.

I also appreciated someone (Tyrion) finally asking Bran what the hell is going on with him. With all the ruthlessness and cunning in the show, it is pretty peculiar that everyone just buys what he’s saying.

My deathwatch list:
High probability - Greyworm, Jorah, Beric (I really like his storyline), Edd (sp? -the last night watch aside from Jon and Sam) and Podrick

A chance - Brienne, Theon, Davos, Tormund, Gendry, Missandei (Greyworm surviving and her dying would be a decent, but middling impact, surprise loss), Gilly, Lyanna Mormont (if Jorah survives). Maybe a dragon.

It’s hard to envision any of the Starks or Lannisters going down yet, but if someone like Sansa or Jamie got killed, that would be a pretty epic surprise.

Last edited by Swaggs : 04-22-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #4080
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm now pulling for all the Starks to rise up from the grave....and fight for the living. Starks, like Benjen, cannot be controlled by the Night King.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #4081
RainMaker
General Manager

I could see Brienne dying to save Jamie. Would be a fitting end to her story. Could be the other way around but I feel like Jamie is the one that has to take out Cersei in the end.

I think Theon will die protecting Bran. Also seems like a nice ending to his story by coming full circle to protect the Starks.

There are definitely going to be some deaths from big characters I feel. This show isn't going to finish with a happy ending for everyone.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #4082
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched it tonight, really enjoyed it but ready for some action next week.

The various scenes where characters talk about not making it was pretty somber (wonder if soldiers of way past talked this way the night before a big battle).

The drinking around the fire was great but Brienne being knighted seemed hokey. Can a knight really knight a female knight?

The Arya & Gendry scene was nice but kinda hard to believe a killer of Frey & clan, Trant (brothel), Littlefinger etc. could still feel love.

Sam giving family sword to Jorah ... not sure I understand why.

Dany and Jon, one of them is going to die.

Wonder how the folks from King's Landing are brought into the picture? Is it defeat the Night King and then march south? Doesn't seem to have enough episodes left for that.

Going to miss this series when its done.

(GRRM is still an ass)
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #4083
Groundhog
Coordinator

Can't shake the feeling that Dany is going to go all mad king on folks before this is done.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #4084
tarcone
Coordinator

Cant wait until it hits netflix.

Or the next book comes out.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #4085
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

The drinking around the fire was great but Brienne being knighted seemed hokey. Can a knight really knight a female knight?

A knight can knight another knight. This was true in both medieval times and in the Westeros-verse. As for a female knight, why not? Especially since they well could die the next day. If anyone has shown she deserves to be the first female knight, it's Brienne.

It's honestly actually the best scene in the whole episode. She'll die having been knighted and accomplishing a life long dream. Brienne's joy at being knighted was the best acting this season.

Quote:
The Arya & Gendry scene was nice but kinda hard to believe a killer of Frey & clan, Trant (brothel), Littlefinger etc. could still feel love.

It's not love. It's either typical teenage lust or idle curiosity. Which I can buy, even if she's been asexual throughout the series. If you're going to die, might as well engage in sportfucking with somebody you like to find out what doing the deed is like.

Assassins are capable of love, by the way.

Quote:
Sam giving family sword to Jorah ... not sure I understand why.

Why Jorah specifically or why the sword?

Quote:
Dany and Jon, one of them is going to die.

BY THE MANY-FACED GOD, KILL THAT FUCKER JON!!!! (It won't be though, because bullshit plot armor that I still want to Varys the writers for).

Quote:
Wonder how the folks from King's Landing are brought into the picture? Is it defeat the Night King and then march south? Doesn't seem to have enough episodes left for that.

There's a lot of different ways this can play out still. None would surprise me. I think we're going to get hosed on a decent denoument, though. It'll be rushed and I'll be irritated that once again, very few people know how to write a decent ending.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #4086
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm actually willing to give this one a pass. There are a million things going on in-show right now, andon the spot in front of her assembled court, literally every single one of her advisors is telling her to do trust him. We've already seen several people acknowledge that she needs to earn the Northerners' trust, and publicly disagreeing with both Sansa and Jon seems like a horrible tactical move on Danaerys' part. She was obviously unhappy about it, and we are very open to any number of ways for that to play out. While the remainder of the episode made it seem like everything was hunky-dory, Jaime really was only hanging out with people who are cool with him. He had no other real interaction with people who have cause to hate him.
Yeah I give a pass in the sense that she read the room and saw all the Starks were on Jaime's side. I did think (especially with all the other allusions to Dany potentially going Mad Queen) it would've made sense for Jaime to bring up why he killed Aerys. Plus it'd be full circle with that story being the first real thaw in the relationship between Brienne and Jamie.
Quote:
I'm now pulling for all the Starks to rise up from the grave....and fight for the living. Starks, like Benjen, cannot be controlled by the Night King.
That would be a nice twist. I've seen a lot of speculation on what's in the Winterfell crypts & even why Winterfell was built there centered on it probably being the site where the original army of the dead was stopped (i.e. all the other northern castles are built on water or great defensible positions, Winterfell kinda the middle of nowhere. And most castles are named super literally, so Winter-fell would seem to have an obvious history.) Is Winterfell and the crypts always being warm simply hot springs, or something else down there? I do wish if there was a twist there they could've spent a little more time exploring them in these two episodes because I worry it'll feel more like a deus ex machina at this point, but I assume at least the central mystery has always been planned by GRRM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #4087
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

That would be a nice twist. I've seen a lot of speculation on what's in the Winterfell crypts & even why Winterfell was built there centered on it probably being the site where the original army of the dead was stopped (i.e. all the other northern castles are built on water or great defensible positions, Winterfell kinda the middle of nowhere. And most castles are named super literally, so Winter-fell would seem to have an obvious history.) Is Winterfell and the crypts always being warm simply hot springs, or something else down there? I do wish if there was a twist there they could've spent a little more time exploring them in these two episodes because I worry it'll feel more like a deus ex machina at this point, but I assume at least the central mystery has always been planned by GRRM.

Those are fantastic points that would fit in with the story well. It would also fit in with all the other foreshadowing that has been going on, and you're right. It's a deep enough point that the fear is that it's just not going to be addressed.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #4088
Galaril
Pro Starter

I read an article on IGN from 4/21 that said the last four episodes will be 1 hour and 20+ minutes. I tried to post the link but there was some issue that created a 403 error. If any one is interested you can google it and it comes up over there.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #4089
bronconick
College Starter

I *think* it's 82, 78, 80, 80

https://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thro...ode-air-dates/

Last edited by bronconick : 04-23-2019 at 08:45 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #4090
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah I give a pass in the sense that she read the room and saw all the Starks were on Jaime's side. I did think (especially with all the other allusions to Dany potentially going Mad Queen) it would've made sense for Jaime to bring up why he killed Aerys. Plus it'd be full circle with that story being the first real thaw in the relationship between Brienne and Jamie.

If we stretch a few sayings and theories for a moment.

"There must always be a Stark in Winterfell."

A saying, or more than a saying? Must there always be a Stark in Winterfell because if there is not when the dead come, the crypt will turn against the living? A little LOTR reference there with the Ghost Army - only a Stark can command the risen Stark dead, like only one from the line of Isildur could command the ghosts.

Now...we all know the modern Starks do some suppppper stupid shit. However, as tied as they are to the Night's Watch, (who burn their dead for a reason) are we going to believe they have always been THAT stupid, and left all their dead for centuries so that the Night King could raise em all up with a snap of his fingers? What we've all been saying here...the legends weren't always legends, and if anyone would know better, it'd be the Starks of old. Can they really be *that* idiotic?

Disclaimer: The books are of course, way more nuanced than the show for logic like this. But I could see this one as one of the Big Plot Points (tm) George shared with the gang.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #4091
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Cant wait until it hits netflix.

Amazon. Netflix doesn't get old HBO shows.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #4092
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
If we stretch a few sayings and theories for a moment.

"There must always be a Stark in Winterfell."

A saying, or more than a saying? Must there always be a Stark in Winterfell because if there is not when the dead come, the crypt will turn against the living? A little LOTR reference there with the Ghost Army - only a Stark can command the risen Stark dead, like only one from the line of Isildur could command the ghosts.

Now...we all know the modern Starks do some suppppper stupid shit. However, as tied as they are to the Night's Watch, (who burn their dead for a reason) are we going to believe they have always been THAT stupid, and left all their dead for centuries so that the Night King could raise em all up with a snap of his fingers? What we've all been saying here...the legends weren't always legends, and if anyone would know better, it'd be the Starks of old. Can they really be *that* idiotic?

Disclaimer: The books are of course, way more nuanced than the show for logic like this. But I could see this one as one of the Big Plot Points (tm) George shared with the gang.
I like that too, though that doesn't explain why the Night King would be drawn to Winterfell instead of trying to have the battle elsewhere. (And I reaaaaaally hope "because he wants to destroy people and their history and Bran happens to be there" isn't what the show goes with.)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #4093
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I like that too, though that doesn't explain why the Night King would be drawn to Winterfell instead of trying to have the battle elsewhere. (And I reaaaaaally hope "because he wants to destroy people and their history and Bran happens to be there" isn't what the show goes with.)

I'm still holding out hope that the Night King himself is marching on King's Landing. Winterfell holds out, with help from the undead Starks, and then, in some amusing twist, they have to march south to actually help Cersei.

I don't have a TON of faith the showrunners will be that subtle though.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #4094
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It could be somewhat related the crypts that everyone feels is a bad idea that folks bunker in. Perhaps the Night King wants to raise some warriors.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #4095
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still holding out hope that the Night King himself is marching on King's Landing. Winterfell holds out, with help from the undead Starks, and then, in some amusing twist, they have to march south to actually help Cersei.

I don't have a TON of faith the showrunners will be that subtle though.
Meeting them at the Isle of Faces in the God's Eye and meeting Howland/Meera Reed/getting help from other Children of the Forest would also make a ton of sense, but again that's something I think Martin would do much better.

Speaking of characters who kind of just got written off unceremoniously, what's up with Yara? Did the actress get pregnant or not want to appear anymore? It's not like I'm mad they wrote off a Greyjoy, and maybe it's misdirection since I'm guessing she'll be there vs Euron whenever that happens, but "Oh, she kind of just wanted to go to the Iron Islands while I came to Winterfell" seemed rather abrupt. Even just "she went to Dragonstone with the fleet to help defend it/ship more dragonglass and wait to see where she could help" would make more sense.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #4096
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It could be somewhat related the crypts that everyone feels is a bad idea that folks bunker in. Perhaps the Night King wants to raise some warriors.
I'm trying to remember what differences there are between the books & the show, but I think the basic outline is: the Night King was definitely stopped once before south of the wall - probably by a Stark, and probably at Winterfell. If there's something special about Stark blood or that location that the Children did, are we to accept that the Night King doesn't know about it or remember it? If there's something else there awesome, and I'm sure just like Lost, True Detective, pick your show etc the fan theories will be better than the eventual answers, but it'll be disappointing if there isn't some bigger connection. And super disappointing if the humans win because the Night King attacked the one place undead warriors were able to turn the tide, and unlike LotR and Aragorn with the dead men of Dunharrow in this case the humans didn't even know about them until it happens.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #4097
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm trying to remember what differences there are between the books & the show

The book version of the Night's King is different. He was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (the 13th Lord Commander) who fell in love with a female Other (as they are referred to in the books) and when he had sex with her, she took his soul as well. And the Night's King and the white Other ruled as King and Queen of the Night's Watch until a previous Brandon Stark and Joramun, the King Beyond the Wall joined forces to bring him down.

And Old Nan describes him as a Stark of Winterfell to Bran. In the books he's mainly been a story.

So if that the same Night's King, he could have bided his time after being cast aside and may be going to Winterfell for his revenge (and to claim his old place).

Though in the show they change it up so the Children of the Forest turn a man into the Night King to fight against the First Men (which would be prior to the Age of Heroes when the Wall was originally built). So The Night King is likely different than the Night's King fable in the books.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-23-2019 at 02:31 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #4098
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Meeting them at the Isle of Faces in the God's Eye and meeting Howland/Meera Reed/getting help from other Children of the Forest would also make a ton of sense, but again that's something I think Martin would do much better.

Speaking of characters who kind of just got written off unceremoniously, what's up with Yara? Did the actress get pregnant or not want to appear anymore? It's not like I'm mad they wrote off a Greyjoy, and maybe it's misdirection since I'm guessing she'll be there vs Euron whenever that happens, but "Oh, she kind of just wanted to go to the Iron Islands while I came to Winterfell" seemed rather abrupt. Even just "she went to Dragonstone with the fleet to help defend it/ship more dragonglass and wait to see where she could help" would make more sense.

I'd be perfectly okay with Yara and the Iron Islands vanishing into the background.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #4099
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Digging a little further, it appears the Long Night (which happened during the Age of Heroes) was ended when "the Last Hero" (who may also be Azor Ahai and/or The Prince that was Promised) went searching for the Children of the Forest to form and alliance to drive back the Others (not to be confused with "the Pact" which heralded the Age of Heroes). Which they do in the Battle for the Dawn.

Though as to where that battle took place, nothing mentions where.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-23-2019 at 02:40 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #4100
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Didn't Bran said that the NK is coming for him? Hence the whole bait thing?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote