Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Weekend Play

We've stopped playing over the weekend here. It's become expected and the norm. And frankly I'm not so sure it's a good thing. It seems like games lose so much momentum over the weekend. Some games regain it. Others, which have had some really exciting play, never do. While I think a normal weekend schedule just isn't realistic, I am of the personal opinion that having nothing going on in the game isn't so great either. What are your thoughts?

Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You lose signups when you play on the weekend, and that's bad since we have historically had problems at times with signups.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
You lose signups when you play on the weekend, and that's bad since we have historically had problems at times with signups.
True. But at the moment we seem to be doing about 18 or so. Seems like if we lost 3 or 4 we'd still be at a very healthy 15 or so and we'd have a better game, which I'd like to think, would help make people want to keep playing.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I assume you are advocating for a truncated schedule like:

Deadline Friday night for day X, Deadline Saturday night for Night X, deadline Sunday night for Day X+1 or something?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think the ideal schedule is somewhat close to what you've done.

Friday evening for Day X. Sometime on Saturday end Night X. Run Day X+1 through Sunday Night. End Night X+1 Monday Morning. Back to normal schedule.

Your being close is one reason I took the discussion to a new thread. I can't really quibble too hard since there is the chance for something meaningful.

Back when every game had a 24 hour clock we got very comfortable with the idea of conditional orders. To me weekend play also offers such a time.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am OK with either and see both sides of it.

I guess I'm not much of a help
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
TheNorm
Mascot

Seeing how the games have gone here so far, I actually like the weekend off idea. Gives everyone a bit of time to relax and reload. I see the point of losing momentum, but judging from what I've seen in the threads so far I don't see that being much of a problem.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

I personally enjoy weekend play, as long as it does not end up creating a significant disadvantage for the people who are around at that point. Given that we are normally somewhere between Day 4-6 when the weekend rolls around, the people who have made it that far have usually invested a good amount of time/energy in the game. Agreement really ought to be 100% if play is going to run on weekends.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I like weekend play, I think the way I've played in games and it seemed to work was deadline for day + night on friday was normal. Then Saturday and Sunday was one long day day cycle with the night cycle coming due either normal time Sunday night or extending to early Monday morning. Then back to normal schedule for Monday.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yeah, not a big fan of weekend play, since I can't (well, don't) play on the weekends.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
The Jackal
Coordinator

I don't care either way. I can generally play on the weekends but it is nice to have breaks, especially if you've spent a lot of time playing during the week. Plus I wouldn't want to alienate some of our players. And we've had some damn good participation lately even without weekends. If you like, I can run my game with weekend play and see how it goes.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I dont like weekend play, as I usualy have better stuff to do

(not a big fan of evening deadlines either :P)

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
Schmidty
Coordinator

No way I'd give up time with my family to play a fricking game of WW on the weekend, especially as busy as it appears I am during the week now.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

I KILLED THE THREAD AND THE IDEA OF WEEKEND PLAY IN ONE FELL SWOOP IT APPEARS!!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Autumn
Head Coach

We all went to play with our kids. I suppose we all learned a lesson today, about life, and about ourselves.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
No way I'd give up time with my family to play a fricking game of WW on the weekend, especially as busy as it appears I am during the week now.

based on recent activity you don't give up time to play during the week either
Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #17
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
based on recent activity you don't give up time to play during the week either

Boooo!!!

Oh, and I will kill this thread, damnit, so stop posting!!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I am totally cool with no weekend play, but I think if there are 2 deadlines the night phase should be run either at it's normal time or as soon as possible after.

People are reluctant to talk much in between the day phase and night phase since they don't want to give the wolves any ammo while making night decisions.

By basically extending the time between the day and night phase to the whole weekend it really puts a damper even moreso on any activity.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I am totally cool with no weekend play, but I think if there are 2 deadlines the night phase should be run either at it's normal time or as soon as possible after.

People are reluctant to talk much in between the day phase and night phase since they don't want to give the wolves any ammo while making night decisions.

By basically extending the time between the day and night phase to the whole weekend it really puts a damper even moreso on any activity.

Agreed!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

Word.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
Danny
Head Coach

I actually agree, but wanted to leave plenty of time for everyone to get their night orders in. I think just about every game I've played in has done it with a sunday evening night deadline, so I think it kind of became the standard, but maybe that should change.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #22
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I started long ago using a staggered weekend play that I personally thought worked great. I know others started using it too for a while, but it seems to have been abandoned. I always thought it was perfect considering weekends are slow, you don't want people penalized for not being around on weekends, but you want -something- happening for those who can be there.

Basically it was:

24 hour clock: (slightly different schedule with traditional day/night phases but same idea)
Wednesday deadline normal time
Thursday deadline normal time
Friday - no deadline, extended play
Saturday - deadline normal time
Sunday - no deadline, extended play
Monday - deadline normal time
Tuesday - deadline normal time

Since Fridays tend to be slow too, it always created a 3 day lull period that i felt this split it up nicely.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #23
Danny
Head Coach

I think that looks like it would work well.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #24
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with anyone who says this long weekend night phase crap has to stop. It has brought this game to a complete stand still. Any information we discuss at this point just helps the wolves so it forces us to not post anything.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
Danny
Head Coach

I'll likely change the way we do it next weekend. I also have all the orders in for this deadline, but I thought it would be bad to change the deadline after it has been set.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I'll likely change the way we do it next weekend. I also have all the orders in for this deadline, but I thought it would be bad to change the deadline after it has been set.

I vote run it.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #27
Schmidty
Coordinator

This would kill WW for me altogether. Very disappointing. It's not like the current form has been unsuccessful. I think this is just a case of obsession, and it's annoying and sad.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This would kill WW for me altogether. Very disappointing. It's not like the current form has been unsuccessful. I think this is just a case of obsession, and it's annoying and sad.

what are you talking about?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #29
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Schmidty: The current form has been both successful and not. We've been doing no weekend play for a very very long time long enough to see it through two point five major downturns. I don't think that argument holds water.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #30
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

For me personally, weekend deadlines wouldn't stop me from playing, but it would stop me from being involved for a portion of the game

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You know, last night I read this and was confused but now I'm thinking who the fuck are you to tell someone what they decide to do with their weekend is obsessive and sad?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You know, last night I read this and was confused but now I'm thinking who the fuck are you to tell someone what they decide to do with their weekend is obsessive and sad?

"
Old 05-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #33
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

To expound, it may have been coincidence (likely was) but I swear when I was just following games here, there was weekend play. Then I started playing, and it conveniently for me went away.

If a game has weekend play, that's cool. I likely won't play or would be less involved due to how I do things but realistically that's my problem not the problem of those who want to play on the weekends.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #34
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I was grumpy last night. I didn't word it right and didn't mean to insult anyone. I'm just really bummed about the decision. I might still play, but I'll just be even less active on the weekends than I normally am during the week.

And thanks for the fuck.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

no fucking problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #36
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

fuck

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #37
hoopsguy
General Manager

I think the schedule is up to the moderator. As long as they post it ahead of time, players can make decisions from there on whether or not they want to play.

If enough people want/support weekend play, it will pick up some momentum. If no one plays during the weekend, then there probably is not much incentive for a moderator to try and force the issue.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just to further my point. I said fuck because I wanted to demonstrate just how obnoxious I found your statement. It was kind of like an exclamation point.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #39
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Just to further my point. I said fuck because I wanted to demonstrate just how obnoxious I found your statement. It was kind of like an exclamation point.

I know. I say fuck all the time. I just wanted to say the phrase "Thanks for the fuck".
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #40
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
shift+1 on your keyboard
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #41
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Kumbaya my lord kumbaya!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
You know, last night I read this and was confused but now I'm thinking who the ! are you to tell someone what they decide to do with their weekend is obsessive and sad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
shift+1 on your keyboard

that just looks strange
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #43
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #44
Danny
Head Coach

Actually Lathum, I like it. I think that should become the new WW curse. You !, I can't believe you would !, you ! ! ! ! !
Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #45
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I was grumpy last night. I didn't word it right and didn't mean to insult anyone. I'm just really bummed about the decision. I might still play, but I'll just be even less active on the weekends than I normally am during the week.

And thanks for the fuck.

I guess now we can get back to Lathum's question -- what are you talking about? I don't see any decision having been made.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote