Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #451
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I loved the interview I read with the original showrunner (from seasons 1-4) about what he had planned/thought of as the ending to his version of the show - Dexter in the chair and the whole series ends up being a flashback from the instant after the button is pressed before the lethal injection hits.

Might be cliche a bit, but would have been fitting IMO.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #452
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just caught up with the ending. Been on board with this show almost since the start. Seasons 1-4 are my favorite of any TV series.

I think the show obviously lost its way the last few seasons but I kept on watching.

The finally made me sad. I had hoped fora happy ending with the three of them in Argentina. I don't like the way he abandoned Harrison, someone who has discovered those new emotions could never abandon their son. Maybe thats just the father in me speaking.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #453
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just caught up with the ending. Been on board with this show almost since the start. Seasons 1-4 are my favorite of any TV series.

I think the show obviously lost its way the last few seasons but I kept on watching.

The finally made me sad. I had hoped fora happy ending with the three of them in Argentina. I don't like the way he abandoned Harrison, someone who has discovered those new emotions could never abandon their son. Maybe thats just the father in me speaking.

But he did discover those emotions, which is why he left him. He was afraid he would destroy him like he destroyed so many others and couldn't allow himself to be happy, which he would be if he left with them,

I was sad too (even with the crappy buildup)
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #454
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I loved the interview I read with the original showrunner (from seasons 1-4) about what he had planned/thought of as the ending to his version of the show - Dexter in the chair and the whole series ends up being a flashback from the instant after the button is pressed before the lethal injection hits.

Might be cliche a bit, but would have been fitting IMO.

I love the story it came from, but this would've been too cliche and IMO, awful.

He said in another interview the ending was planned the whole time, and that his version was an alternative one.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #455
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
But he did discover those emotions, which is why he left him. He was afraid he would destroy him like he destroyed so many others and couldn't allow himself to be happy, which he would be if he left with them,

I was sad too (even with the crappy buildup)

Dexter's urge to kill was gone. He said that. Dexter's a smart guy(despite being a moron the last 4 years.) Common sense would suggest that without his urge to kill, his family would not be destroyed starting over in Argentina.

This whole concept to me is a fail. It contradicts this supposed growth from the character.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #456
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
This whole concept to me is a fail. It contradicts this supposed growth from the character.

I thought the piece of Grantland from before the finale hit the nail on the head in regards to this.

Dexter’s Terrible Final Season and How Breaking Bad Ruined the Series

Quote:
By contrast, the Writers' Room installment on Dexter indicates just how far gone the show’s writers are. They talk of the arc of the show less in terms of Dexter having to come to terms with what he’s done — or others having to pursue him because of those acts — and more in terms of the character becoming a “real boy.” They describe him in terms reserved for comic book superheroes. Sure, he’s killing people, but he’s only killing bad people, right? That’s not so awful. Maybe Dexter’s just misunderstood.

The problem with this idea is that Dexter itself has contradicted it in the final season. If Dexter can stop killing, if he was just a misdiagnosed sociopath (or whatever) who just needed the love of a good woman all along, then what about all of those people he killed on his table over eight seasons, tossed into the depths in Hefty bags? Couldn’t even one of those people have managed to turn their lives around? It’s as if the show forgot that a vital part of Harry’s Code has always been “Don’t get caught,” the tacit acknowledgement that what Dexter was doing was illegal and immoral, an attempt to do a patch on a malfunctioning bit of human software. In its second season — when it was revealed that Harry killed himself after seeing what he’d made his son — the show was clear-eyed enough to at least approach this idea. In its final season, that was shunted off to the side in favor of tearful good-byes and “I’m gonna miss you, pal” speeches that seem airlifted in from the series finale of M*A*S*H.

Dexter could have been a great show coming out of that second season. Think of how exciting it would be to have two antihero dramas going out at the top of their games right now, then think back to those early episodes of this season of Dexter to realize how close that notion actually came. There is always room for more than one antihero on TV. (Just ask Tony Soprano, who had to deal with a whole fleet of them while he was around.) But seeing the final season of Breaking Bad juxtaposed against the final season of Dexter simply reveals how little teeth the latter show had all along.

Like or hate Breaking Bad (or Walter White), it’s impossible to come away from that show and not think its creative team has complete and total control over what it wants to weigh about its main character. Yet even if you still like Dexter, even if you still cling to hope its finale might right the ship at the last possible moment, it’s difficult to watch this season and not conclude that the character became something else entirely along the course of its run in an attempt to soften him or make him more palatable. Walter White exposes the darkness inside all of us. Dexter Morgan had a chance to do that, but it was pushed aside in favor of more voice-over quips to the audience and reassurances that the guy you’re watching isn’t all that bad, so maybe you aren’t, either. It refuses to challenge either its characters or its audience, and that makes it more of a disappointment than anyone might have imagined back in 2007, when it had the world at its feet.

Last edited by mckerney : 09-30-2013 at 01:09 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #457
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Dexter's urge to kill was gone. He said that. Dexter's a smart guy(despite being a moron the last 4 years.) Common sense would suggest that without his urge to kill, his family would not be destroyed starting over in Argentina.

This is how I feel about it.

The more I think about it the more bummed I get. I really don't like the way he abandoned Harrison. I get that he is in good hands, etc...but he still will never get over losing his father. It really digs up some strong emotions in me about my own son.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #458
Logan
Head Coach

If you read the interviews with the writers, you can tell they really had no clue what to do. Their explanations for certain things happening/not happening were laughable. Here's one that I thought was pretty great:

Quote:
Since Hannah’s a wanted fugitive, couldn’t she have at least put on a ball cap when walking around Miami?

BUCK: We played with the idea of dyeing her hair. In the research we did on fugitives we learned there are countless fugitives out there just walking around that nobody is really looking for. There aren’t funds to hunt down every one of them — particularly Hannah, as she hasn’t been convicted of a crime. She’s not high priority. We put her in sunglasses. Otherwise we didn’t want to call more attention to it.

Except for, you know, she knew with 100% certainty that there was a US Marshall after her who happened to be 10 feet away from her in Deb's house. Plus the Sean Patrick Flannery character.

Quote:
Have to ask: How did Dex get from his boat to the shore in the middle of a hurricane?

BUCK: Hopefully it’s not a question that will be examined too closely. The show has always been a half step away from reality; it’s a hyper-reality. We established there is an emergency life raft with an outboard motor on the boat. He could have gotten in the raft and made it safely to shore.

The bold sentence is a pretty perfect way to describe this show of the last season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #459
Kodos
Resident Alien

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1582106

Dexter: The Lumberjack Years?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #460
SegRat
High School Varsity

I wont be watching.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #461
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Dexter: The blatant cash-grab years
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #462
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should spin off a buddy cop show called "Miami Metro" with Bautista and Quinn, the 2 worst fucking detectives in the history of the world. Maybe Masuka's daughter can show off her titties again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #463
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They should spin off a buddy cop show called "Miami Metro" with Bautista and Quinn, the 2 worst fucking detectives in the history of the world. Maybe Masuka's daughter can show off her titties again.

True Detective Season 2
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #464
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Why can't they just let this show die?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #465
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like there's another buzz building about a possible spin-off show.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:34 AM   #466
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess New Blood wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Better actors in the Harrison and Angela roles would have gone a long way.

Last edited by stevew : 01-10-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #467
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I want "Ghost Dokes"
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #468
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure they can shoot a 50 minute pilot for a spinoff with Bautista sitting at his desk and trying to solve who stole the Cookies on Sesame Street.