Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #201
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

1) I wouldn't say I frequently don't say I'm watching from the start re: individual games.

Not like I go into the NBA thread every night and say "nope, not watching the Celtics tonight - they suck." More like I go in there before the season starts and go "nope, not gonna watch this year." Or I go in after particular games and grumble about how they're not losing enough .

Even last night - I turned the game on...I watched until the sack/fumble and the ensuing Broncos TD and then said "Okay no more." It all just happened so quick it seemed like I wasn't watching from the start I suppose .

2) I might judge it to be beneath me and my time, but that shouldn't imply that I think other people's time is less valuable or they're making stupid choices with it.

We all have a finite amount of time in the day/in our lives. I don't claim to sit in judgement of how anybody else spends their time, just as I don't expect them to sit in judgement of me. Different people derive enjoyment from different things, which is fine.

Some people take enjoyment from fantasy football clearly - I don't. Some people take enjoyment from March Madness pools - I don't. I don't think that makes me better or worse than those people, or means that I'm smarter or their stupider or whatever. It's just different people finding enjoyment in different ways.

It's like how some people like salt on their eggs and some people like pepper. One isn't better than the other - they're just "right" for different people.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Meh, I'm not sure why we're even having this discussion. I'm the type of fan that watches to the bitter end even if my team is blowing someone out or getting blown out. That's the way I work. But everyone knows I'm passionate about my teams.

DT is just as passionate to the point where he gets frustrated. Everyone handles it differently and that doesn't make them a better or worse fan. Each person handles it differently.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Are we in bizarro-world?? Jon + MBBF understand where I'm coming from?

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #204
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
I'm not even going to bother reading this.

Nicely played.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #205
molson
General Manager

Nobody expects everyone to be a superfan and watch every play. I would bet that the people who actually do that make up a tiny minority of the current posters here. That's not what people are responding to at all. It's just an amusing quirk of one of our long-time posters that separates him from the rest.

Edit: Who was the poster that declared a Packers playoff game over after they fumbled on the opening drive? It was funny, and maybe a little irritating, but mostly funny.

Last edited by molson : 11-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Nobody expects everyone to be a superfan and watch every play. I would bet that the people who actually do that make up a tiny minority of the current posters here. That's not what people are responding to at all. It's just an amusing quirk of one of our long-time posters that separates him from the rest.

Edit: Who was the poster that declared a Packers playoff game over after they fumbled on the opening drive? It was funny, and maybe a little irritating, but mostly funny.

Jas Lov after Ryan Grant fumbled. '07 I beieve
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #207
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

There are lots of great examples of people doing this. One of my favorite is from the 2007 BCS Championship game. After Ohio State's Ted Ginn returned the opening kickoff for a TD, lots of people were saying "Game." and predicting scores like "51-0". After the opening kickoff! Florida of course went on to win.

BCS Championship Game discussion thread - Front Office Football Central

An offshoot of this is the tendency for people to treat Week 1 and 2 of the NFL season as gospel, assuming that everything that happens is going to continue to happen all season long. Going through the week 1 or week 2 NFL threads from past seasons can be really amusing.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-25-2013 at 03:56 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #208
Kodos
Resident Alien

Philly was going to tear it up this season!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #209
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
As a Big 10 fan, I have to say that the Big 10 was just not all that great this year. Give IU a few years to rise to prominence with the spread offense of Terry Hoeppner.

Glad to see Ohio get smacked around on national television, even if it was a team like Florida that I loathe.

Ouch.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #210
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Jas Lov after Ryan Grant fumbled. '07 I beieve

I'm not sure whether remembering that is impressive, sad, both, or neither.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #211
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Philly was going to tear it up this season!

Well, *I* certainly didn't believe that.

Part of the eye rolls with DT is the team he's dealing with. If Cleveland gets behind 24-0, or Buffalo, or Oakland...yeah. We can accept someone shutting off the tv in disgust because it has happened to those teams time and time again, and those teams are pretty much finished when they are down by that much*. Or even half that much.

But the Patriots? Come on. They showed Brady's record, and it was something like 143-42. 100 games over .500. WHICH NOBODY HAS EVER DONE. So DT is going nuclear over a team that damn near never loses. In a city WHERE EVERY TEAM WINS FRIGGIN TITLES. So yeah, the rest of us roll our eyes at a reaction to something that virtually every other fan base has to deal with (I mean really, the Eagles have been better than most the past 20 years, and they still shit the bed with regularity). So it's like ugh, enough with the fucking drama.

* Frank Reich, you are excepted.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #212
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

G-MEN!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #213
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Well, *I* certainly didn't believe that.

Part of the eye rolls with DT is the team he's dealing with. If Cleveland gets behind 24-0, or Buffalo, or Oakland...yeah. We can accept someone shutting off the tv in disgust because it has happened to those teams time and time again, and those teams are pretty much finished when they are down by that much*. Or even half that much.

But the Patriots? Come on. They showed Brady's record, and it was something like 143-42. 100 games over .500. WHICH NOBODY HAS EVER DONE. So DT is going nuclear over a team that damn near never loses. In a city WHERE EVERY TEAM WINS FRIGGIN TITLES. So yeah, the rest of us roll our eyes at a reaction to something that virtually every other fan base has to deal with (I mean really, the Eagles have been better than most the past 20 years, and they still shit the bed with regularity). So it's like ugh, enough with the fucking drama.

* Frank Reich, you are excepted.

I understand. I have been a diehard IU football fan for 25 years. Rarely any rays of hope. Yet every season, I foolishly dare to believe this year might be different. And I rarely ever spare myself from watching the whole game.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #214
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Bummer, if Carolina had lost and my beloved Cards win today, I think they would have the wild card spot from Carolina. Which is just bizarre given how the Cards have played at times this season.

Was looking at the updated playoff seeds today, and at least until SF wins tonight, my beloved Cards are in a wild card slot. So Go Redskins!

fairly brutal schedule remaining for the Cards though-they play at Philly this week-who are also battling for a playoff spot, then still have the three NFC West teams to play again, and right now they are riding a six game losing streak in the division. Tennessee might be the only "easy" game left for them and that's on the road.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

I had the same thought right after I posted it
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #216
RedKingGold
College Starter

God, the 49ers offense sucks.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #217
kingfc22
Head Coach

Not sure why they can't drive like that more often. Frustrating.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #218
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

ok... so the foreskins running out a couple code talkers just made me wanna barf! fuck you snyder you racist fuck

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #219
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Nice Aldon Smith kick to the nuts.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #220
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Nice Aldon Smith kick to the nuts.

Yeah saw that, should have been a penalty-looked pretty blatant but just saw it the one time.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #221
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

I remember because it was hilarious. I think the running back actually fumbled twice at the start of the game, then ended up running for 100 yards and 1-3 TDs (obviously back in the days before benching running backs for fumbles).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #222
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
ok... so the foreskins running out a couple code talkers just made me wanna barf! fuck you snyder you racist fuck

Get em, Whitey!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #223
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I wish all NFL defenses were as bad as the Redskins. Then the 49ers offense would look competent.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #224
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I was kind of cheating because we always planned to have the UMass game on the real TV, so we could see the Patriots start to comeback before that ended, but I would never turn off a Patriots team with Brady/Belichick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo-espn-feature-columns/2013/espn-bill-belichick-makes-it-okay-take-wind
Including the playoffs, the Patriots have gone 57 consecutive games where they either had a lead/tie in the fourth quarter (or overtime) or trailed by one score (1-8 points) in the fourth quarter. Consider it the "no blowouts" streak, since they were technically one score away from their opponent late in the game.
That's one of the longest streaks in the Super Bowl era. The only longer documented streaks belong to Mike McCarthy's 2008-12 Green Bay Packers -- they went 69 games from 2008 until a 38-10 loss at the Giants last season -- and the 1988-92 San Francisco 49ers (63 games).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #225
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeah saw that, should have been a penalty-looked pretty blatant but just saw it the one time.

I'm a 49er fan (fair warning), but it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was happenstance. He leaped to try to block the pass and after leaving the ground was shoved backward. Didn't seem to be any malicious intent.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good news for the Chiefs. Hali will be playing on Sunday. But Houston likely out for the Broncos game. At least we have one all-pro pass rusher because we were dead in the water without both of them.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #227
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm a 49er fan (fair warning), but it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was happenstance. He leaped to try to block the pass and after leaving the ground was shoved backward. Didn't seem to be any malicious intent.

And as he went backward, he ran into a Skins OL who was being pushed back, and his leg went up as he hit him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #228
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

I don't think he meant to kick him in the nuts, but he clearly made a kicking motion.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #229
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think he meant to kick him in the nuts, but he clearly made a kicking motion.

I think he might have actually been trying to trip him there at the end because he was kicking forward, but the contact with the lineman might have caused his foot to go higher than expected? Someone set me up with a link so we can settle this important debate
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #230
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sorry if this was posted already, but apparently there is a drug problem in Seattle:

Suspensions ruining a big week for Seattle Seahawks - ESPN

Just glad this all happened before my beloved Cards go to Seattle in a couple weeks
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #231
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sad part is, from what was reported yesterday, they both got busted for weed.

Stupid and selfish, and on Browner's part, could be his ticket out of the league. Both guys are free agents after this season and Browner will be 30 before the start of next season. Hard to imagine many teams taking a chance on him if he ends up suspended for a year.

On the plus side, CB is probably the deepest position group on the team so performance wise, they've got a good shot at carrying on at a high (no pun intended) level without these two.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #232
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Browner wasn't going to play anyways, he's got a bad hammy. Thurmond is a loss, but as Travis said, CB might be the deepest spot on the team. It sucks, but it's not going to derail the team, imo. Except for the Saints who can make it a game, I don't see anyone coming onto Seattle and winning. The road games at SF and NYG might be another story, depending if the Giants have given up by then.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #233
miked
College Starter

Maybe they'll appeal and say they needed it for their AHDH, or whatever football players are claiming they take ritalin and adderall for.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Everyone in Settle smokes pot in Seattle so they probably thought they were ok
Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #235
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Everyone in Settle smokes pot in Seattle so they probably thought they were ok

Are you smoking pot right now?