Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
AgustusM
College Prospect

Switching to ATT Uverse

so I called today to cancel an old fax line I don't need and got to talking to the ATT guy (well, he sold me, but that is his job) on bundling my services.

It is something I should have done years ago but I had phone and DSL through ATT, cable from comcast. All told I was spending an absurd $320 a month for both. Now that includes two lines, elite DSL (6M) and 3 HD with DVR cable boxes.

Now after the bundle I will have the same two lines, Fiber internet (same speed) and 3 HD/DVR boxes (although another beneift is the DVR's are now connected) - total cost 160 - saves me almost 2 grand a year. I am an idiot for not bundling these sooner.

Anyone else on Uverse yet? Besides the obvious cost savings I have been pretty unhappy with my cable quality and am hoping this will improve it. Love to hear from some of the people who have already made the switch.

AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't have Uverse but am pretty familiar with it. All told it is fairly similar to Verizon FIOS in what it offers and the pricing. Customer reviews shows that customer satisfaction for Uverse is a bit behind Verizon FIOS, but both still are miles ahead of most cable (especially Comcast).

My guess is unless you get some weird flaky hardware issue or bad experience with a tech support or sales person, you should like it alot.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
rjolley
College Starter

Not using it, but I'll have to look into it.

Sounds like it could be a better deal than the phone + DSL + DirecTV combo we have going on right now.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
SegRat
High School Varsity

I have Uverse and like it. Better than time warner.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post

can you skip ahead 30 seconds?

Comcast didn't have that ability out of the box, but it did have an easy remote programming that allowed you to.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's slowly spreading in this area, so reports are scarce. I've heard complaints about the picture quality of the video, though. We'll see if that holds up. It's generally believed to be behind Verizon in tech (lower internet speeds, for example).
Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

A friend of mine has it and swears by it... Its not in my neighborhood yet. Its a race, whoever gets here first gets my business (Verizon or AT&T)

Last edited by fantom1979 : 03-04-2009 at 08:55 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post

I got rid of Time Warner about 6 months ago. I now have Uverse and will not look back. Whole house DVR is awesome.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

How is gaming on it? One issue with TWC is they don't want to go to DOCSIS 3.0 on their modems (because they are cheap), which would reduce some of the latency and burstiness that gameplayers have to deal with.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
rjolley
College Starter

Checked into Uverse and they don't have it out here yet. Hopefully, it'll be here soon...
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heavily contemplating making the switch here. Sales guy came through a couple weeks ago, and I was digging the pitch. The few people here who have it and speak well of it pretty much sold me.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I know people within 6 blocks of me that can get Uverse, yet I cannot. So I am still stuck with TWC. *sigh*
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
Capital
High School Varsity

This looks great! I love the 1 DVR concept and 37 HD hours isn't bad...much better than Comcast.

Too bad it's not in my area yet and I'm in Metro Atlanta. I'm assuming that this does not need a satellite dish?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
This looks great! I love the 1 DVR concept and 37 HD hours isn't bad...much better than Comcast.

Too bad it's not in my area yet and I'm in Metro Atlanta. I'm assuming that this does not need a satellite dish?

No uverse does not need a satellite dish. It is run entirely on fiber to the house.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Made the switch to Uverse last week. I had Directv and AT&T DSL up until that point. I got the U-300 package with 6 Meg DL speed and I'm still saving $40 a month.

So far, so good. Only minor issues with things like sound on a few of the on demand channels like showtime. The sound was way soft and had to crank the volume. Love me some on demand movies shows though.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Made the switch to Uverse last week. I had Directv and AT&T DSL up until that point. I got the U-300 package with 6 Meg DL speed and I'm still saving $40 a month.

So far, so good. Only minor issues with things like sound on a few of the on demand channels like showtime. The sound was way soft and had to crank the volume. Love me some on demand movies shows though.
The sound problem is that the volume on the converter box is to low. If your remote is not programmed with the tv yet, just turn the volume up. If your remote is programmed with your tv, then you probably need to call att. Either way the volume on your converter box is to low.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

I have ATT Uverse and really like it, but I also have the same sound issues. A few channels are are consistently louder or softer than the norm. Comcast Sportsnet is a loud one for me, but AMC is one I have to crank up to hear.

Considered calling tech support but it isn't a big deal for me, plus I am lazy as hell.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I have ATT Uverse and really like it, but I also have the same sound issues. A few channels are are consistently louder or softer than the norm. Comcast Sportsnet is a loud one for me, but AMC is one I have to crank up to hear.

Considered calling tech support but it isn't a big deal for me, plus I am lazy as hell.
That might be a channel-specific issue. Some networks broadcast in a way to "balance" out the sound throughout the broadcast. AMC doesn't do that, in part to to provide films in the original broadcast sound. If you ever watch AMC, you'll typically find that the movies themselves are quiet, then the breaks are very loud.

Some people with cable don't notice this because their systems balance the volume themselves. Time Warner boxes actually made this option on whether you want to balance the audio. Of course, there still channels and commercials that were much louder than normal.

I just got Uverse and haven't found an option to modulate sound or volume on the box. It appears to rely entirely on external speakers (or the TV) to control volume. I generally find that volume is lower on ATT than on my old cable (Time Warner).
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #19
Bad-example
College Starter

Makes sense, kcchief19, at least as far as AMC goes. And yes, I have noticed how much louder the commercial breaks are on that channel.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
How is gaming on it? One issue with TWC is they don't want to go to DOCSIS 3.0 on their modems (because they are cheap), which would reduce some of the latency and burstiness that gameplayers have to deal with.

TWC will be going to DOCSIS 3.0. It's not just buying new modems and presto you are DOCSIS 3.0, there is a lot of other things involved with a plant upgrade of that magnitude. Costs that would most definitely be passed onto customers that already think they are being ripped off. Just off the top of my head, they'd have to be 1 GHz throughout the plant, they'd have to move Fiber closer to the customers homes to lower the return levels from the acceptable 52 to something like 46 that is required for DOCSIS 3.0. In addition to that upgrading all the CMTS equipment in Headends and Hubsites, not to mention the cost for new modems.

I know we are in the process of getting there here but it's still probably more then a year out to my understanding. Many TWC plants are still just DOCSIS 1.1 because 2.0 wasn't worth the hassle of upgrading especially since 3.0 was being developed right on it's tail.

I'm know this is going to come off as defending my company, which I don't give a shit about since I like working for them, but I wanted to share with you just a high level overview of the requirements for such an upgrade.

Last edited by DanGarion : 04-21-2009 at 12:19 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
That might be a channel-specific issue. Some networks broadcast in a way to "balance" out the sound throughout the broadcast. AMC doesn't do that, in part to to provide films in the original broadcast sound. If you ever watch AMC, you'll typically find that the movies themselves are quiet, then the breaks are very loud.

Some people with cable don't notice this because their systems balance the volume themselves. Time Warner boxes actually made this option on whether you want to balance the audio. Of course, there still channels and commercials that were much louder than normal.

I just got Uverse and haven't found an option to modulate sound or volume on the box. It appears to rely entirely on external speakers (or the TV) to control volume. I generally find that volume is lower on ATT than on my old cable (Time Warner).
If you are experiencing a problem with an entire channel being louder then others (not just commercials or one show) then you should be contacting your TV company regardless of if it's Cable/Phone/Sat since that should be something they will fix, especially if you are seeing the problem on more then one TV in your house. If you have issues with the volume from show to show or from show to commercial I would suggest to contact the broadcaster and bitch at them since that's their fault and the problem is on their broadcast side.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Blah, I think my DVR box crashed last night. Getting a X .. error code on the front screen. Did the usual items - unplug, reset, reset the gateway, do a complete reset of the DVR (which wipes the entire box, yippee), but nothing. Guess I need a new DVR unless anyone else here has had success fixing this without getting a new box.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Have you called customer service with the error code? That will tell them what the issue is. Could be an update didn't take correctly or there's some other software issue. But it's not a good sign unfortunately.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Have you called customer service with the error code? That will tell them what the issue is. Could be an update didn't take correctly or there's some other software issue. But it's not a good sign unfortunately.

The box was shot. Beyond the basic troubleshooting stuff (reset box, reset gateway, disaster recover on the box) there isn't anything else they do beyond that and the next step was replacement.

Lost all of the DVR'd stuff, but at least all the stuff we have set to record transferred down to the new box.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I read something that you can use your Xbox 36o as a UVerse receiver. Anyone doing this? If so, how the hell do you do it??

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I read something that you can use your Xbox 36o as a UVerse receiver. Anyone doing this? If so, how the hell do you do it??

Here is some information on it. I'm not a customer of ATT for Uverse, but I did read about it:

Quote:
Confirming leaks from last week, AT&T today officially announced support for the use of the Xbox 360 as a U-Verse IPTV set top box. According to the announcement, users will need to shell out $99 for an "Xbox kit" -- and they'll need to schedule a technician visit for a software installation. That install will be free for new users, but existing customers will have to pay a $55 installation fee. You'll also have to have at least one other AT&T set top in your home, according to AT&T. Since Microsoft's Mediaroom powers the company's existing U-verse IPTV set tops, using the 360 as a set top was a no brainer -- but it took several years of promises before this actually came to be.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #27
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Interesting news - I already have Uverse but I don't have an Xbox - I imagine it would be cheaper to get a new settop box than to worry about getting an Xbox and then paying the fees, though.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #28
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thanks Alan...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #29
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

grr...

Uverse dropped about 6 channels a few days ago due to contract disputes - Food Network, DIY, HGTV and a few other ones.

Hopefully they resolve whatever pissing match they are having soon.. we watched alot of the Food Network.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #30
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
grr...

Uverse dropped about 6 channels a few days ago due to contract disputes - Food Network, DIY, HGTV and a few other ones.

Hopefully they resolve whatever pissing match they are having soon.. we watched alot of the Food Network.

Try putting that channel on and see what it is. Even though the guide listed 1452 as Bravo it was still showing "Food Network Challenge" for me last night. I think they already resolved the issue.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #31
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Try putting that channel on and see what it is. Even though the guide listed 1452 as Bravo it was still showing "Food Network Challenge" for me last night. I think they already resolved the issue.

Oh.. cool.

Didn't realize the contract issues were resolved Sunday night.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #32
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Do you guys have just Uverse TV, or the full package? I have TV, internet, and phone.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #33
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do you guys have just Uverse TV, or the full package? I have TV, internet, and phone.

Full with U-200 and whatever the internet option is with the 12M download speed
Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #34
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

TV and internet only, my housemates and I all have cell phones so we didnt see any reason for a landline.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #35
miked
College Starter

Anyone else with UVerse praise or hate? They are running some specials with nice discounts and cash back. I pay $175/month (taxes/fees included) with Comcast for 1 DVR box, 1 regular box, cable (no pay channels), high speed, and phone. I can get the U-200 with an extra receiver (plus 12 or 15 internet speed and phone) for $142/month for 6 months plus 2 different $100 cashback cards, or $142/month for 12 months + $100 cashback card. In the screen, my savings was $18/month for the 12 month period and I'm assuming it will be $160/month when my year expires plus tax.

The annoying thing about comcrap is that they charge me $15 or so for my 1 DVR, while UVerse includes one and I can get a second for $7. Plus, I guess I can watch UVerse on my iPhone or computer.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #36
korme
Go Reds

uverse > twc alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way
korme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #37
spleen1015
Coordinator

WARNING OLD THREAD BUMP

Uverse is now in my area. I had a dewd knock on my door last night. I says he can save me about $60 a month. He is coming back tonight and will get grilled with the 30 some odd questions I have after looking things over.

Check this out. He swears that I will be able to keep my comcast.net email account for free from Comcast. I know that is complete bullshit.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #38
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Obligatory "he didn't look like this, did he?" post:

Last edited by Wolfpack : 07-19-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #39
rjolley
College Starter

Got Uverse a couple of weeks ago. Love the new speeds but hate a couple of things. One, I don't like the 4 live/recording streams nor the 3 hd/1 sd streams. For my house, we would utilize all of those easily with the way we record shows and the kids and father in law watch tv.

Two, they said the digital phone service would have the same features as the normal line, which was a blatant lie. There were a few features that are not available. When we called, the rep said the salesperson lied and should'vextold us the difference.

Overall, good service. I like DirecTV's channel arrangement better, but that's the only other issue.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #40
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Check this out. He swears that I will be able to keep my comcast.net email account for free from Comcast. I know that is complete bullshit.

Are you sure? My parents had their Massachusetts-based e-mail account stay active for quite some time after they moved here and switched to TWC/RR.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #41
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Are you sure? My parents had their Massachusetts-based e-mail account stay active for quite some time after they moved here and switched to TWC/RR.

It was a comcast.net email account?

I just talked to Comcast and they said my email account will get suspended once I cancel the internet service.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #42
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

If all goes well and my house sells rapidly...I'm still thinking about switching over to U-Verse for the new house. Of course, despite the fact that *supposedly* all of Naperville (where we're looking) was getting U-Verse...like the entire southern half of Naperville shows unavailable on AT&T's site. Grr.

May have to just cancel my Comcast account and have my wife open a new one in her name once we move, so we can get the actual package we want (god forbid they offer the same shit to existing customers).
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #43
spleen1015
Coordinator

The switch to uverse is happening as I post.

I am excited by this change. We will be saving about $70 a month acroos cable, internet and phone. We're getting more channels and faster internet.

My wife is stressing out because she has all of our major emails coming in on our comcast email account.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #44
spleen1015
Coordinator

Here is what my connection speed is with Comcast.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #45
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You've got a U-Verse option faster than 24/4 from Comcast? My best U-Verse was going to be like 18/2, which is why I ended up having to stick with TWC and the 30/5 they brought out.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #46
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The only place capable of giving me a half decent speed out here in the sticks in Florida appears to be Bright House .... if I could change I would ....

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #47
Kodos
Resident Alien

Any more feedback on U-Verse. Thinking of switching from DirecTV (tv) / Comcrap (internet & phone) setup we have.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-27-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #48
Bad-example
College Starter

We've been pretty happy with the ATT service.

One complaint is that, over the last few months, the onscreen program descriptions have changed. We now have lots more grammar mistakes and awkward sentences and some of them are just head-scratching.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #49
hoopsguy
General Manager

I think we're going to be taking the U-Verse plunge ... going to be nailing it down this coming week.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #50
Butter
Coordinator

Anyone have this had the power go out? I read somewhere that if the power goes out, you lose all your DVR'd shows. I am not sure if I read that right or if the person was just full of shit.