Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #51
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have lost power several times with Uverse - no problems, the DVR just restarts and all is good.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #52
rjolley
College Starter

Haven't lost any DVR'd shows when the power has gone out.

While the DVR reboots, the non-DVR boxes will not be able to see the recorded shows. Maybe his DVR was unavailable for another reason and he thought the shows were gone.

UVerse only has one DVR per house, unlike other providers which can have one per TV. If that goes out, you will lose your recordings.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #53
Butter
Coordinator

So, can you use the DVR features on the other TVs? As in pausing and rewinding live TV? Or is that limited to the single TV connected directly to the DVR box? How about setting up recordings?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #54
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, can you use the DVR features on the other TVs? As in pausing and rewinding live TV? Or is that limited to the single TV connected directly to the DVR box? How about setting up recordings?

The interface is no different from tv to tv. You can use the DVR on any tv with a box and watch anything that has been recorded. You can set up recordings on any tv with a box and you can even do it online. You can pause/rew/ff on any tv with a box connected to it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #55
Butter
Coordinator

Anybody with comments about HD quality or the boxes/interface? Is there significant lag with the boxes? Is there a lot of pixelation during sports?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #56
rjolley
College Starter

For the most part, I think the picture is very good. I also like the on demand being readily available instead of the delay to download that you get with DirecTV. The interface is pretty good. I like being able to see what's on the channel I'm surfing through in the guide.

One thing I have noticed lately is the channel feed will freeze and I'll have to change the channel and change back to get it to work. This is really annoying if I'm 30 minutes behind on something, as I lose what I've watched. This happens 5-10 times a week between my wife and I. I will make a call to AT&T to see what they can do about it, as it started happening more and more over the past 3 weeks or so, so it may be a change they've made recently.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #57
SegRat
High School Varsity

I am having problem with some of my boxes. Trying to get to the recorded programs, and it won't let me. Try brining up the tv guide, won't let me. I keep having to reset the boxes. My brother in law has the same tv, and his HD is noticeably a little better than mine. One last problem when watching sports. The guys across the street will start cheering, 5-10 seconds later the badgers or packers score a TD. That drives me nuts.

Other than that I have bend mostly happy. I do call and politely complain about certain things and I am usually given some sort of promotional things for the next 6 months. But I did that with time Warner to.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #58
rjolley
College Starter

For the delay, I've noticed that when my father-in-law and I watched the same program on DirecTV. He likes the SD broadcast and I watch the HD. If we're watching the same show, things happen a few seconds before on the SD broadcast. It's interesting to hear cheering and look up to see a big play start to develop.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #59
spleen1015
Coordinator

HD has always been behind SD for some reason, Uverse, Comcast, doesn't matter
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #60
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Took the plunge and ordered today. Comcast's rate just went up AGAIN, and the price difference is just too much to pass up.

Even if I have to cancel early (house is on the market, if luck prevails and we sell, looks like the area we're looking at doesn't offer U-Verse), I'm still saving a pretty decent chunk of change.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-20-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I actually shuffled my package recently, dropping from U300 to U200. The only great loss was Sprout, but I think my kids have kind of outgrown the programming at this point. So, since I guess it was a package alteration or something, they decided to throw in a month free on the movie channel package (Starz, Movie Channel, etc). I also opted to downgrade the phone plan we've got (we're not a big-talking family) and got a $50 card for it. So, with the package downgrade, I saved some money, got some movie channels for free for a month, and got a $50 card. Not bad. Oh, I did do something with the savings. I opted to add the premium HD package (just $5 a month) and now have NFL Red Zone. The thing was easily worth the cost the first hour on Sunday and then REALLY paid for itself in the last hour. Without it, I couldn't have watched the end of San Fran/Dallas because it would have been off the air here on the regular Fox affiliate (not that I like either team, but just enjoyed being able to see something I normally wouldn't have had the chance to see). I think I'll be making a regular habit of subscribing to the HD premium channels in the fall each year now....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #62
kingfc22
Head Coach

So I think I've finally reached the breaking point to dump Comcast. Their prices continue to go up plus the new "fees" that they have added are getting ridiculous.

The savings to switch to Uverse is just too much to ignore at this point, but I wanted to see if those with Uverse are still happy with the overall quality especially in regards to their HD signal.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #63
TRO
College Prospect

The system has more software issues (freezing and such) than I would like, but all told, I'm happy with the service.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #64
SegRat
High School Varsity

Overall I am still happy with uverse.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #65
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, I agree that there are still some minor issues at times, but nothing that has left me wanting to throw in the towel. HD signal is good, and the wireless receivers work well.

Last edited by Butter : 08-21-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #66
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm still happy with my move. My only reservation at this point is that I made the move to save money. At some point, those introductory rates are going to go away and I am afraid I'll end up paying more than I was before.

We'll see.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #67
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've got no complaints with Uverse.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Have had UVerse for about 6 months. Quality of signal and internet are both improved over Time Warner. Don't miss them at all.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #69
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The only seriously major minus that I've had with U-Verse is that I guess living in an older neighborhood subjects us to older infrastructure or something. How else to explain having to get my modem replaced four times now due to lightning strikes?

Other than that, the one really nifty plus is that if you go to another place that has U-Verse service, all the non-local channels are the same channel numbers, so you only have to learn what the local channels are. In addition, the local channel numbers actually make sense because they match the original over-the-air number that they identify with on those channels rather than the disconnected numbering scheme on regular cable systems.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #70
korme
Go Reds

I just got U-Verse. My old roommate has had it for 5 months and says they mess his bill up every month, promising things and not going through with them... hope that's not the case for me
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #71
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Still happy.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #72
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Having now gone from Comcast to U-Verse and back to Comcast (we moved - new place does not have U-Verse)...I'd go back to U-Verse in a heartbeat.

Honestly, if I could easily get live sports, I'd drop it all and go Netflix.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #73
sooner333
College Starter

I got a door-to-door salesman to try to sell me Uverse, and I would have signed up if he could have arranged an install this Saturday. He couldn't, but I still might sign up online. They are offering $100 in promotional cards and an additional $25 with the coupon code EXTRAGIFT.

For me its going to run me about $20 less per month than Cox with more services (I'll get a bunch more channels than Cox, including all the premiums). I'll also get an extra wireless box which I can use in my bedroom which currently does not have a cable jack. I'll keep the same speeds on the Max internet (which I need good upload speeds because I have a Slingbox). Plus, I'm getting HBO for free with Cox, but that will run out soon, either increasing my bill another $20 or me not getting it.

I'm not exactly sure what will happen in a year when I'm off my promotional rate ($41/month off). But, it's probably worth it to sign up.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #74
kingfc22
Head Coach

Signed up and have my install date. Good bye Comcast.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #75
sooner333
College Starter

Anyone had difficulty with installation in an older house? I am set up for install on the afternoon of August 31, which is the day before college football season starts. I don't want this to drag on past the 31st. But, I was looking at my infrastructure, and it's not very good. I have one phone jack which is in a hallway corner (I don't use a landline, so I've never really noticed). Then I have three cable outlets (but two are in the same room). The good news is the cable outlets are in the rooms I need TVs and I can use the wireless box in my bedroom.

My other goal is to have the slingbox in the room with the wireless gateway (so I can easily plug it in) and then be able to plug my Xbox 360 into the back of the set top box in the living room for internet. Hopefully it works out.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #76
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Anyone had difficulty with installation in an older house? I am set up for install on the afternoon of August 31, which is the day before college football season starts. I don't want this to drag on past the 31st. But, I was looking at my infrastructure, and it's not very good. I have one phone jack which is in a hallway corner (I don't use a landline, so I've never really noticed). Then I have three cable outlets (but two are in the same room). The good news is the cable outlets are in the rooms I need TVs and I can use the wireless box in my bedroom.

My other goal is to have the slingbox in the room with the wireless gateway (so I can easily plug it in) and then be able to plug my Xbox 360 into the back of the set top box in the living room for internet. Hopefully it works out.

They rewired most of my house. It took all day, but they did get it done in one day.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #77
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Bah, was supposed to have Uverse installed yesterday but apparently a part they need is on back order and they can’t tell me when they will be able to finish.
I tell you, living without TV and internet is really not living at all. (I did get $100 off the first bill, though)
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #78
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
I tell you, living without TV and internet is really not living at all. (I did get $100 off the first bill, though)

This is why I'm going to keep Cox over the weekend...don't want to get stuck.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #79
Kodos
Resident Alien

Welp, just took the plunge. Will be saving about $100 a month against what I was paying for DirecTV for TV and Comcrap for Internet & Phone.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #80
korme
Go Reds

ATT told me I'd be paying ~100 a month, instead every month the bill comes its $150 and I have to call them and bitch forever. Good luck
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #81
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Signed up and have my install date. Good bye Comcast.

I've had it installed for about a week now. HD quality is pretty on par with Comcast, but definitely not horrible where I want to go back.

One thing I can't stand and there's probably a way to bypass this, but every time I turn on my TV after a few hours have gone by the Uverse box will ask me to hit the "ok" button to start using it. I'm guessing this is some type of sleep mode, but if I turn my tv on I expect the Uverse box to know that I plan on using it.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #82
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
ATT told me I'd be paying ~100 a month, instead every month the bill comes its $150 and I have to call them and bitch forever. Good luck

Really? Dang. My quote was right to the penny (which I was pretty surprised about).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #83
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've had it installed for about a week now. HD quality is pretty on par with Comcast, but definitely not horrible where I want to go back.

One thing I can't stand and there's probably a way to bypass this, but every time I turn on my TV after a few hours have gone by the Uverse box will ask me to hit the "ok" button to start using it. I'm guessing this is some type of sleep mode, but if I turn my tv on I expect the Uverse box to know that I plan on using it.

I wish this would change, but unfortunately not. I've just gotten used to it.

Also, I hope they explained the Multiview concept when they set up your systems Kodos, and kingfc. If not, 1601 is sports HD multiview for me - learn to love it.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 09-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #84
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I wish this would change, but unfortunately not. I've just gotten used to it.

Are your remotes not set up to turn on the TV and the AT&T box at the same time? When our techs set us up, they set up the AT&T remote so that it turned on the TV as well as the receiver. Occasionally, something will interfere and you'll get the TV on without the receiver or vice versa, but most of the time, I get both to come on together.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #85
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not sure, as far as I know my Uverse box is always on. It's just that when I turn my tv on, it says press ok, which I do, and I'm ready to go - I don't get the impression that it is turning the box on at that point, I thought it was just part of the UI.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #86
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not sure, as far as I know my Uverse box is always on. It's just that when I turn my tv on, it says press ok, which I do, and I'm ready to go - I don't get the impression that it is turning the box on at that point, I thought it was just part of the UI.

This.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #87
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Are your remotes not set up to turn on the TV and the AT&T box at the same time? When our techs set us up, they set up the AT&T remote so that it turned on the TV as well as the receiver. Occasionally, something will interfere and you'll get the TV on without the receiver or vice versa, but most of the time, I get both to come on together.

That is correct. If you turn on the TV and the OK screen is the first thing you see, the remote is not properly configured to take the box out of sleep mode. Should be something that your tech should have set up. If not, you can check the AT&T site or the remote manual. Either should have directions on how to get your remote set up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #88
Bad-example
College Starter

So ATT Uverse eliminated my father's favorite channel, 92, Yahoo Games.

ATT has another game channel that not only costs extra but pretty much sucks.

Does Yahoo Games channel exist on any other carriers?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #89
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not sure - I always thought channel 92 was some special deal between AT&T and Yahoo - I can't find any reference to it being available in other providers. Possibly they have paid games channels like the one AT&T is moving to.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #90
Bad-example
College Starter

Sigh. Yeah, I couldn't turn up squat either. Thanks for looking.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #91
spleen1015
Coordinator

Made the switch to AT&T about 2 years ago, but I am looking to switch back to Comcast.

The biggest hurdle I had when I switched before was email. All of the household email business is conducted with an att.net email account. The Comcast rep swears that we can keep our att.net addresses because they go through Yahoo, controlled by Yahoo and the accounts won't be removed when we leave.

Does anyone know about this?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #92
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Made the switch to AT&T about 2 years ago, but I am looking to switch back to Comcast.

The biggest hurdle I had when I switched before was email. All of the household email business is conducted with an att.net email account. The Comcast rep swears that we can keep our att.net addresses because they go through Yahoo, controlled by Yahoo and the accounts won't be removed when we leave.

Does anyone know about this?

At one point ATT allowed people to keep their email accounts even after discontinuing service. However that may have changed since I last read. I would recommend not just trusting what comcast says but to talk to an ATT rep and ask what happens.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote