Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #151
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Just wrapped this one up last night. Great show, very well done. Terribly depressing though. I highly recommend it.

Broadchurch is getting adapted to America by Fox. David Tennant will be playing an American detective. 90% of my enjoyment of the show is David Tennant's Scottishness.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #152
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Avengers: TV dropped 1/3 of its audience last night.

ABC needs to move trophy wife behind Modern Family. The second episode was just OK, but it seems to fit perfectly, definitely better than some stupid Rebel Wilson show.
SHIELD's drop is scary ... JIMGA may have nailed it during the summer.

NCIS and The Voice were almost unchanged, just down a few percent from premiere week. ABC has to hope that week 1 were the geeks who had to see the first episode as early as possible but are now content to watch on DVR or streaming, and the number stays around 8 million.

I still think it's a suicidal time slot. No matter how well it does, it can't hope to be anything better than third. The show can sustain 8 million. It becomes a problem if 8 becomes 6 million faster than you can say Revolution.

Rebel Wilson will get a couple of episodes because the show is guaranteed to do a decent number tonight, then plummet.

I hope Back in the Game does well. I thought the pilot was average, but I love Maggie Lawson and James Caan is almost always awesome. It's basically The Bad News Bears 2k13, but that's OK.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #153
RainMaker
General Manager

Am I the only one who thinks that Rebel Wilson show looks horrible? All I get from the previews is she's fat and wears revealing clothing and that's supposed to be funny?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #154
chadritt
High School Varsity

You're far form the only one, they're not even airing the actual pilot.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #155
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I'm going to say it now...

James Spader is the best fucking actor on television.

YY
Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #156
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that Rebel Wilson show looks horrible? All I get from the previews is she's fat and wears revealing clothing and that's supposed to be funny?

Nope, you're not the only one.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #157
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I work with plenty of fat women who have more talent than this arrogant cow and it is not pleasant. So why would I watch this?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #158
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I'm going to say it now...

James Spader is the best fucking actor on television.

Nope, Walton Goggins by a wide margin.

And I like Spader.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #159
Easy Mac

Blacklist

This girl went to the Mariska Hargitay school of horrible haircuts.
They should have just hired Sarah Lancaster.
This is like a USA show with a budget increased by $10.
This show is horrendous.
So in 3 years, while he's detained, will he still know the exact location and time of every potential terrorist attack?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #160
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The younger daughter from Modern Family has huge boobs and she is 15. It's like a modern day Punky Brewster.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #161
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The younger daughter from Modern Family has huge boobs and she is 15. It's like a modern day Punky Brewster.
I've randomly heard that she has a terrible stage mother who apparently keeps dressing her sluttier and creeping out the producers by yelling at them for not showing off her body enough. That's one of the 2 random Modern Family facts I know, along with Luke being a member of MENSA who graduated from HS last year at 13.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #162
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Speaking of BBC America shows, how many people watched Orphan Black? I thought it was a pretty well done approach to a fairly common plot device. Absolutely criminal that the lead actress didn't at least get nominated for an Emmy.

The other drama from the past year I never really heard about and ended up liking was Longmire. Its kind of hidden away (on A&E I think?) and was a little more of a procedural than I usually like in the first season, but the acting was pretty good (even Lou Diamond Phillips kills it!), I liked the setting/pacing, and they started pushing more towards a longer story arc during Season 2, especially at the end.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #163
chadritt
High School Varsity

Love Orphan Black. Both the main actress and the actor who plays Felix are criminally underrated. I never for one second thought he wasnt british so the first time i heard his real accent my jaw dropped.

Last edited by chadritt : 10-02-2013 at 10:18 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #164
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Orphan Black is awesome.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #165
Radii
Head Coach

Orphan Black is the top of my list of things to catch up on, we just recently got BBC America on demand. With the fall TV season starting I have no idea when I'll get to it, but its the next thing for me for sure.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #166
Suicane75
Coordinator

So I watched the Rebel Wilson show just to see how awful it was and I ended up actually enjoying it. Felt like a reverse gendered Drew Carey Show.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #167
RainMaker
General Manager

Where can I watch Broadchurch?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #168
Ryan S
Quarterback

FOX have renewed Sleepy Hollow for a 13 episode second season.

‘Sleepy Hollow’ Renewed for Season 2 by Fox - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #169
Easy Mac

Quote:
Where can I watch Broadchurch?

bittorrent, various streaming sites, bbc america on demand, and I think its finally available to buy on itunes, amazon, ... I presume it will be on netflix streaming within a month or 2.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #170
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
bittorrent, various streaming sites, bbc america on demand, and I think its finally available to buy on itunes, amazon, ... I presume it will be on netflix streaming within a month or 2.

Ahhhh, I'll wait on Netflix then. I get BBC America but apparently not the on demand stuff. Although I guess it's only like $15 on Amazon so maybe I'll do that if I get bored over the weekend.

I was just wondering if there was some place everyone was going to because everyone seems to be watching it and I can't find it in any of the usual spots.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-03-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #171
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The first 5 minutes of The Millers was very funny; then is spent the next 25 trying to live up to that and not being able to. Don't expect much from it but may give it another shot next week.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #172
Thomkal
Head Coach

Watched the first two episodes of Blacklist, and it has what I like to call the "Only Me" Syndrome. Much like the Mentalist and Unforgettable, the Only Me is the only one who can put together all the pieces of a crime. Without him/her every crime would succeed-this despite the combined knowledge of police investigators with years of experience and/or intelligence agencies with the best possible people and equipment to find a criminal. And as a result said investigators/agencies look nearly always foolish and stupid next to the "Only Me."

To me that just stretched the credibility of such shows greatly-I didn't make it past the first couple episodes of The Mentalist and Unforgettable, and probably not much longer on The Blacklist if things are going to happen like in the restaurant in Montreal in the second episode. The only things keeping me watching are James Spader, and the mystery behind how he knows Liz, and the mystery behind Liz's husband.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #173
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Caught up on my DVR shows.

Elementary is a great show. Not as good as Sherlock by far, but entertaining stuff. Liked the opening. Will watch the other one tomorrow unless this game gets out of hand soon.

SHIELD's second episode was okay. A bit campy, but still enjoyable. Hope it continues, but it seemed like some of the tie-ins to the movies were forced.

Missed the first episodes of Broadchurch so I need to see if they rerun from the beginning. BBC America does some good stuff. Been watching Ripper Street on Netflix. Not bad.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #174
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
FOX have renewed Sleepy Hollow for a 13 episode second season.

‘Sleepy Hollow’ Renewed for Season 2 by Fox - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Hey, just five to go.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #175
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Blacklist

This girl went to the Mariska Hargitay school of horrible haircuts.
They should have just hired Sarah Lancaster.
This is like a USA show with a budget increased by $10.
This show is horrendous.
So in 3 years, while he's detained, will he still know the exact location and time of every potential terrorist attack?

Yes
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #176
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Watched the first two episodes of Blacklist, and it has what I like to call the "Only Me" Syndrome. Much like the Mentalist and Unforgettable, the Only Me is the only one who can put together all the pieces of a crime. Without him/her every crime would succeed-this despite the combined knowledge of police investigators with years of experience and/or intelligence agencies with the best possible people and equipment to find a criminal. And as a result said investigators/agencies look nearly always foolish and stupid next to the "Only Me."

To me that just stretched the credibility of such shows greatly-I didn't make it past the first couple episodes of The Mentalist and Unforgettable, and probably not much longer on The Blacklist if things are going to happen like in the restaurant in Montreal in the second episode. The only things keeping me watching are James Spader, and the mystery behind how he knows Liz, and the mystery behind Liz's husband.

I don't massively disagree with you about the "suspension of disbelief" needed for Blacklist, but the mystery behind how he knows Liz and WTF is up with her husband is enough to get me to suspend disbelief for that 60 minutes at this point. As long as they don't abuse that too much, ya know?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #177
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Watched the first two episodes of Blacklist, and it has what I like to call the "Only Me" Syndrome.

Amazingly TV Tropes doesn't seem to have that Trope. Or I can't find it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #178
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Amazingly TV Tropes doesn't seem to have that Trope. Or I can't find it.

Had to go look up what TV Tropes is So can I get credit for creating my own?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #179
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Ahhhh, I'll wait on Netflix then. I get BBC America but apparently not the on demand stuff. Although I guess it's only like $15 on Amazon so maybe I'll do that if I get bored over the weekend.

I was just wondering if there was some place everyone was going to because everyone seems to be watching it and I can't find it in any of the usual spots.

We watched it on BBC America.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #180
larrymcg421
Head Coach

TV Ratings Thursday: ‘Scandal’ Returns to Series High; Decent Start for ‘The Millers’, ‘Sean Saves the World’ & ‘Welcome to the Family’ Debut Low - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

This is almost certainly the last season for Parks and Rec, unless NBC moves it away from the insane monster that is Big Bang Theory soon. Welcome to the Family is the lowest rated NBC premiere ever.

MJF Show may actually be in decent shape. It only shed 14% from the premiere and once again was the highest rated show of the night for NBC. Low number for Sean, but at least both it and MJF Show beat Glee.

Huge numbers for Scandal. Not surprising as it had a great 2nd season that brought in a ton of new viewers.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #181
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's too bad Parks and Rec can't find a larger audience. It is a great show.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #182
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Probably won't be in 2013-2014 but Reboot is coming back as is the Mainframe corporate label.

Rainmaker Entertainment Inc.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #183
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just watched last night's The Neighbors...and I laughed. A lot.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #184
kcchief19
Pro Starter

We Are Men has been canned by CBS. I don't get the argument that this was a big-name cast. Jerry O'Connell is the modern day Ted McGinley. Kal Penn was on House, but he was just background scenery on House. I like Tony Shaloub, but this was a bad role for him.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #185
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
We Are Men has been canned by CBS. I don't get the argument that this was a big-name cast. Jerry O'Connell is the modern day Ted McGinley. Kal Penn was on House, but he was just background scenery on House. I like Tony Shaloub, but this was a bad role for him.

Surprised it was canned so early, it was actually decent... Much better than that shit they call comedy Mom and Dads.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #186
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
TV Ratings Thursday: ‘Scandal’ Returns to Series High; Decent Start for ‘The Millers’, ‘Sean Saves the World’ & ‘Welcome to the Family’ Debut Low - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

This is almost certainly the last season for Parks and Rec, unless NBC moves it away from the insane monster that is Big Bang Theory soon. Welcome to the Family is the lowest rated NBC premiere ever.

MJF Show may actually be in decent shape. It only shed 14% from the premiere and once again was the highest rated show of the night for NBC. Low number for Sean, but at least both it and MJF Show beat Glee.

Huge numbers for Scandal. Not surprising as it had a great 2nd season that brought in a ton of new viewers.
Glee has already been renewed for another season -- Fox has to be regretting that. Even for Thursday night, it's not a particularly tough time slot. I can't believe people still watch Grey's Anatomy, Crazy Ones is a time slot hit only and then you have NBC. I'm still curious who at NBC thought Sean Hayes should be the lead-in for MJF and not the other way around.

Poor Parks & Rec. And with Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe leaving, it's just going to get worse.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #187
Bad-example
College Starter

So I was looking around Amazon last night and decided to check how much the entire series of Red Dwarf would cost. Shocked to discover they made more episodes...something called Return to Earth and also a season ten. WTF...have any of these made it to broadcast in the USA?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #188
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
So I was looking around Amazon last night and decided to check how much the entire series of Red Dwarf would cost. Shocked to discover they made more episodes...something called Return to Earth and also a season ten. WTF...have any of these made it to broadcast in the USA?

Wait- what? When did this happen? This is going to take some investigation.

SI

Old 10-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #189
Bad-example
College Starter

Back to Earth - aired in UK April 2009

Series X - Aired in UK Oct/Nov 2012

Available on something called 'iTunes'.

Last edited by Bad-example : 10-10-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #190
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I even found it on this place called Amazon and looked into it at this place called Wikipedia! This internet thing is pretty cool!

SI

Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #191
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Glee has already been renewed for another season -- Fox has to be regretting that. Even for Thursday night, it's not a particularly tough time slot. I can't believe people still watch Grey's Anatomy, Crazy Ones is a time slot hit only and then you have NBC. I'm still curious who at NBC thought Sean Hayes should be the lead-in for MJF and not the other way around.

I think they wanted MJF leading into Parenthood, which they heavily promoted this season, hoping that if MJF was the big hit they were hoping for, it would boost Parenthood. MJF is definitely a much better fit for Parenthood, but obviously the ratings haven't panned out the way NBC wanted.

Quote:
Poor Parks & Rec. And with Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe leaving, it's just going to get worse.

They need to move it out of BBT's way. Burn off WTTF at 8 and then put Community there. Move Parks to 830 or even 9 if Sean fails.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #192
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I even found it on this place called Amazon and looked into it at this place called Wikipedia! This internet thing is pretty cool!

SI

Groovy! Did either place tell you anything about US broadcast? I couldn't find squat. But then, my internets skillz are sorely lacking.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #193
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think they wanted MJF leading into Parenthood, which they heavily promoted this season, hoping that if MJF was the big hit they were hoping for, it would boost Parenthood. MJF is definitely a much better fit for Parenthood, but obviously the ratings haven't panned out the way NBC wanted.
That's not a bad theory, it seems like they are hurting MJF and Sean than they are helping Parenthood. I can't think of a good example where a bottom hour sitcom outperforms a top hour sitcom. MJF has a much higher ceiling.
Quote:
They need to move it out of BBT's way. Burn off WTTF at 8 and then put Community there. Move Parks to 830 or even 9 if Sean fails.
WTTF is probably gone by next week. Can only imagine the ratings crater that thing will deliver tonight. Should give Hannibal a run for its money in Thursday night crapitude.

NBC has nothing to put at 8pm Thursday. I expect they may plug another sitcom into the post-P&R slot or bring back Community earlier than planned. I don't recall if they have reality shows in development -- that's what I'd put at 8pm until TBBT comes back to the pack.

I say USA has White Collar and Covert Affairs starting new seasons this month. Move one (I'd say Covert Affairs) to NBC!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #194
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Groovy! Did either place tell you anything about US broadcast? I couldn't find squat. But then, my internets skillz are sorely lacking.

Didn't see any in my searching but I'm just going to get my wife the DVDs since she'll be thrilled that it even exists. If it's like Red Dwarf from the past, it should be on PBS in roughly 8 years.

SI

Old 10-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #195
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Can anyone explain FXX's strategy to me? They launched with basically 2 30 min shows of original content (The League, Always Sunny, plus I guess that talk? show at 11pm I've never seen), and then put them up against first The Bridge and now American Horror Story on regular FX - while cross-promoting them even during those shows. Is any of this actually working and getting them more viewers or are they just splitting their already somewhat niche audience?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Can anyone explain FXX's strategy to me? They launched with basically 2 30 min shows of original content (The League, Always Sunny, plus I guess that talk? show at 11pm I've never seen), and then put them up against first The Bridge and now American Horror Story on regular FX - while cross-promoting them even during those shows. Is any of this actually working and getting them more viewers or are they just splitting their already somewhat niche audience?

I think it was just a way for them to hype something as M18-34 (ala Spike) and maybe move FX a little more Adults or even Female skewing.

The ratings for the 2 main shows premiered at roughly the same level they got on FX previously, so it didn't do a lot of harm to those shows. And the audience was roughly 10x what they were getting with the soccer, so that's also a win for them.

As for whether the network is actually relevant, that's a different question. It's still stuck in premium sports packages in some (many?) markets & so that isn't helping matters at all.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #197
Thomkal
Head Coach

So anyone watch the Tomorrow People? It was OK I thought, the powers were cool-stuff in high school was pretty painful, but I'm probably not the age group they were shooting for there. Looks like its gonna have a lot of teenage angst.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #198
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I thought the pilot of the tomorrow people was good enough. I like the actor playing the main bad guy so far. I think the story is pretty ok also. It falls into that twilight type of category for me like a lot of cw shows so not necessarily the first thing on my dvr that I will watch but I will keep watching it next week

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #199
Izulde
Head Coach

Saw The Goldbergs and my first reaction was, "You know, this could've been a lot like the new Wonder Years, but it's just dumb and going for LCD laughs".

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #200
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think it was just a way for them to hype something as M18-34 (ala Spike) and maybe move FX a little more Adults or even Female skewing.

The ratings for the 2 main shows premiered at roughly the same level they got on FX previously, so it didn't do a lot of harm to those shows. And the audience was roughly 10x what they were getting with the soccer, so that's also a win for them.

As for whether the network is actually relevant, that's a different question. It's still stuck in premium sports packages in some (many?) markets & so that isn't helping matters at all.
The channel location is completely random for me. It's going to take years for FXX to get logical channel locations that aren't out of sight, out of mind.

I am curious how FXX's all-day ratings compare to Fox Soccer. I know that Fox Sports One is still drawing worse numbers than Speed was drawing.

The curious thing is that Speed has more logical channel locations for FXX, and Fox Soccer better for FS1. Fox really fought to get Speed on standard or expanded basic tiers. Fox Soccer was generally on premium sports. Obviously they switched Speed to FS1 because it was in more households.

By and large, Fox seems to have screwed the pooch with both these launches.