Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #401
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
The number one lesson from all of this, DON'T SELF REPORT ANYTHING!
You would think that with Syracuse self reporting everything, firing a few responsible people (the AD still needs to go), restructuring some areas and imposing their own penalties and basically being an open book for the NCAA COI, they would have avoided the harsh scholarship penalties. Boeheim will appeal the stuff against him and the school will as well and I think this will get reduced a bit. Either way, the NCAA is in for a fight. There was not much to pin on Boeheim directly. The $8,000 from the booster was to 5 or 6 players, 4 of which have been named as football players, so how JB gets the worst of it, is curious.
I'm happy to see no recruiting violations.
The stuff with Fab Melo is the worst to stomach. He was suspended for a game or two mid-season. He apparently did what he had to do to get eligible again, and then we suspended him for the NCAA tournament. We made the Elite 8 without him. We should have just played him, made the Final 4, maybe took home the title and then still got punished this year. It would have been worth it, so again, the self punishment of that tournament suspension of Fab meant nothing at all.

See, I would have taken the lesson as: Don't cheat.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #402
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
See, I would have taken the lesson as: Don't cheat.

You can look at it like that, but I honestly see it as, hey we made some mistakes here, let's own up to it and self report. It is not like they were fedexing money to recruits and setting up fake classes etc.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #403
Kodos
Resident Alien

Indiana got in trouble over phone calls. And were rightly punished.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #404
Butter
Coordinator

As opposed to, hey we made some mistakes and now let's cover up the shit out of it.

I'm sure that would've ended well.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #405
Kodos
Resident Alien

The NCAA generally doesn't throw around "lack of institutional control" lightly.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #406
HerRealName
College Prospect

Am I crazy for thinking Wisconsin may be the team with the best chance to beat Kentucky? They obviously don't match up physically, but Wisconsin just oozes pure basketball skill. They're a joy to watch, even when beating down my Buckeyes.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #407
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
He apparently did what he had to do to get eligible again, and then we suspended him for the NCAA tournament.

If by "he apparently did what he had to do to get eligible again" you mean "had a couple people working in the athletics department write an essay for him to raise a grade given to him the year before", then you're dead-on.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #408
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
If by "he apparently did what he had to do to get eligible again" you mean "had a couple people working in the athletics department write an essay for him to raise a grade given to him the year before", then you're dead-on.

I just meant at the time, he apparently did what he had to do. We know now that somebody else did the work for him.

Later in the season they suspended him for good on the eve of the tournament, so if it was a mass conspiracy led by Boeheim to keep Fab eligible, why bother reinstating him just to suspend him again? It seems like it was some a-hole in the department taking it upon themselves to help keep Fab eligible. When found out, he was permanently suspended. We really didn't need him for the rest of the regular season after the initial suspension. It would have been more important to have him for the tournament.

Anyway, Syracuse should suffer consequences, as should Boeheim. I am all for the 9 game suspension, and the pretty decent monetary fine and the loss of games to Jim's record (not that that actually means anything) and the ACC tournament and NCAA/NIT tournament this year, but the loss of that many scholarships, for so long, is not at all a punishment fitting the crime at all.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #409
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It seems like it was some a-hole in the department taking it upon themselves to help keep Fab eligible.

It always is.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #410
Butter
Coordinator

South Dakota is playing South Dakota St. in Sioux Falls in the Summit semis tonight. I'm guessing the biggest crowd in Summit tourney history is there.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #411
Easy Mac

Furman tied at the half. Good thing I didn't make the drive to the game tonight, as I've been locked in the bathroom streaming it due to an over active stomach.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #412
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not looking great for wades guys
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #413
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I just meant at the time, he apparently did what he had to do. We know now that somebody else did the work for him.

Later in the season they suspended him for good on the eve of the tournament, so if it was a mass conspiracy led by Boeheim to keep Fab eligible, why bother reinstating him just to suspend him again? It seems like it was some a-hole in the department taking it upon themselves to help keep Fab eligible. When found out, he was permanently suspended. We really didn't need him for the rest of the regular season after the initial suspension. It would have been more important to have him for the tournament.

Anyway, Syracuse should suffer consequences, as should Boeheim. I am all for the 9 game suspension, and the pretty decent monetary fine and the loss of games to Jim's record (not that that actually means anything) and the ACC tournament and NCAA/NIT tournament this year, but the loss of that many scholarships, for so long, is not at all a punishment fitting the crime at all.

Wish you would stop saying the F-word.

Looks like Southerland was in the same boat, which explained his 'mysterious' suspension, if I recall. I don't know who else from the earlier years, probably wouldn't have recognized their names anyway.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #414
Easy Mac

3 minutes left, Furman down 1

Last edited by Easy Mac : 03-09-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #415
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Whoa. 16-0 tribe run. Hey should have fouled last possession instead of let 30 seconds run off.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #416
Easy Mac

Damn, so close.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #417
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry wade. They screwed themselves by not fouling. northeastern was feeling the pressure and he missed the front end twice. Have to extend the game in that spot. I can buy playing 10 seconds for the steal but letting them use the whole clock in that spot was terrible.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-09-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #418
Thomkal
Head Coach

sorry wade and easy
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #419
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Am I crazy for thinking Wisconsin may be the team with the best chance to beat Kentucky? They obviously don't match up physically, but Wisconsin just oozes pure basketball skill. They're a joy to watch, even when beating down my Buckeyes.

I've been saying it all year.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #420
tarcone
Coordinator

Wiscy and Kentucky might be a 59-56 game. Defense and running the clock down. Points would be tough to come by.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #421
Butter
Coordinator

0-for-2 for longtime NCAA absentees as W&M never really had a chance against Northeastern, and St. Francis (NY) blew it last night. They even got 3 FT's down 3 with under 3 seconds left... and clanked all 3 of them. Granted, he was trying to miss the third, but didn't even do that right as he ended up just throwing it straight off the backboard.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #422
britrock88
Pro Starter

Oy.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #423
molson
General Manager

The whole concept of administrators and coaches trying to get a Brazilian guy who can't speak English through a private university's academic requirements is just so silly. He was there 100% for basketball, just like almost everyone on scholarship at that level of college basketball. It'd be like if my employer made me dedicate 20-25 hours a week to the company basketball team for some reason, and if I didn't, I'd be out. I'd definitely expect them to try to fudge my way out of that if they could, because I'm not at the job to play basketball.

Not defending Syracuse who probably deserves worse than what they got and they broke all the rules they agreed to follow to be a part of this weird system, but the whole mix of academics and athletics at the highest level of college sports will always be surreal to me.

Last edited by molson : 03-11-2015 at 10:44 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #424
Butter
Coordinator

This time of year is just the absolute best.

Florida State leads Clemson by 20 with 9:09 left, and just chokes it away... but Clemson's layup to tie with about 12 seconds left literally comes about an inch from going in and Florida State holds on to win 76-73.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #425
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

And in fitting fashion my Huskies get bounced by giving up a 3 off an offensive rebound with 2.4 seconds left. A once promising season down the drain because a dumbass had to get high.

Next year is make or break for Romar with the recruiting class he has coming in.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #426
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The painful season is finally over.

I do think this Kim Anderson hiring could be a blessing in disguise. I think it's pretty clear he's going to have to show big improvement in year two. With the first year being so rough and a new AD coming in this fall, his leash is very short, regardless of whether it's fair to him. In addition, Alden hired a coach with a relatively small salary, which allows the new AD to fire him after next year for relatively cheap. This allows the new AD to bring in a new coach of his choosing without worrying about a big buyout that could burden the program.

The good news is that it can't get worse than the worst year in program history, right?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #427
tarcone
Coordinator

I think Anderson is the tonic for the program. Its too bad Alden left him hanging.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #428
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Love the full slate of games today.

Illinois trailing by 10 in a game they have got to have.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #429
britrock88
Pro Starter

Virginia doesn't feel like playing a complete game, from the looks of it.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #430
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas couldn't hold on and lost on a last second shot by Iowa State. Hopefully the close game is enough to sneak in the last four in.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #431
britrock88
Pro Starter

Fellow bubblers Illinois, Old Dominion, and Texas A&M took worse losses than Texas did today.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #432
tarcone
Coordinator

Are you kidding me? PsU? Oh, the inconsistency.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #433
Kodos
Resident Alien

If we can beat Maryland tomorrow, I think we can punch our ticket to the dance. Hopefully Mosquera-Perea will be okay with the knee injury, but it's not looking good.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #434
Butter
Coordinator

Ole Miss also may have blown their bubble chance yesterday... if you get a chance to catch the highlights of their game with South Carolina from yesterday, please do. If not...

Ole Miss is down 3 with 11 seconds to play. SCAR fails to foul the ball handler... he hands off to Stefan Moody... Moody rises for a 3 with about 5 to play, but instead passes to a wide open Jarvis Summers in the corner. Summers hits the 3, but is also knocked over by a charging SCAR player for the 4-point play opportunity.

He converts, Ole Miss by 1 with 3.3 left. Timeout.

SCAR inbounds, dribbler has an Ole Miss player running in front of him with his arms up. SCAR player goes to shoot a falling-towards-the-corner 30 foot 3-pointer with the Ole Miss player running in front of him... guy's arm gets tangled with the Ole Miss arm... foul is called. SCAR makes all 3 FTs to win by 2.

Crazy way to make the NIT if you're Ole Miss. Plus, Marshall Henderson was there. Jubilant one second, screaming "How can you call that?" to the refs as they leave the floor the next.

Last edited by Butter : 03-13-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #435
BillyNYC
High School JV

Last year, went to Big East tourney quarterfinals, which was fun, even in the post-realignment weakened league. Lots of fans and students from nearby places (Seton Hall, St John's, Villanova) and a large Creighton contingent. Wasn't sold out, but was reasonably full and loud.

Today, crossed the river and am at A-10 qfs in Brooklyn. Total contrast. The upper levels are curtained off. Everything else is less than half full. Maybe a few hundred Davidson people making some noise, but feels...lesser. I paid around the same as for the Big East last year, but the atmosphere is lacking.

Sounds like VCU travels well, so am hoping they fill this place up a bit more for game 2.

And Davidson is currently getting smoked. The few dozen LaSalle people here are happy.

Last edited by BillyNYC : 03-13-2015 at 11:32 AM.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #436
Kodos
Resident Alien

Let's go, Wolverines!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #437
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Let's go, Wolverines!

Did you puke a little in your mouth when you typed that?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #438
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Let's go, Wolverines!

W-M is my conflict game (Dad went to W, Mom to M). I think W's locked in as a 2, so am pulling for the underdog. That 0-10 finish to the first half was rough.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #439
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Did you puke a little in your mouth when you typed that?

A little, but this is Bo Ryan and Wisconsin, so I swallowed it back down. I frequently find myself rooting for them as the lesser of two evils.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-13-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #440
Kodos
Resident Alien

Alas. Guess we left it in the hands of the committee.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #441
henry296
College Starter

What a great night to be a college basketball fan. I have seven games to choose from now

Espn- ACC
Espnu - American
Espn2- big12
Fox - big east
Nbc- A10 semi
Cbs - mountain west
BTN - big 10
Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #442
BillyNYC
High School JV

So A-10 afternoon session was fun to watch afterall. Davidson rallying from 18 down to win at buzzer, then VCU beating Richmond in final minute. Two fun games. VCU fans did indeed take over the arena for second game.

As a neutral, glad I went but still think $35 is a bit steep.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:01 AM   #443
digamma
Torchbearer

HY3 today. Last week's preview applies except I believe the key to the game is shutting down JavierDuren. Harvard's Wes Saunders has to do a better job there. Also Harvard should try to shoot better than 30% from the floor. Should be a war again.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #444
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bulldogs! Bulldogs!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #445
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
So A-10 afternoon session was fun to watch afterall. Davidson rallying from 18 down to win at buzzer, then VCU beating Richmond in final minute. Two fun games. VCU fans did indeed take over the arena for second game.

As a neutral, glad I went but still think $35 is a bit steep.

I watched all the afternoon games yesterday and you were in the right spot without a doubt.

LaSalle choke job was worse than LSU IMO.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #446
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
A little, but this is Bo Ryan and Wisconsin, so I swallowed it back down. I frequently find myself rooting for them as the lesser of two evils.

Funny as I tend to root for Wisconsin or Sparty whenever they play someone other than IU. After that the rest are fairly jumbled from 4 to 12 with Purdue being about 2,000th and Ohio St. being 1 millionth.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #447
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Brutal loss for Stony Brook. Was pulling for them since they beat my Huskies.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Congrats Diggama, what a game and finish!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #449
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Funny as I tend to root for Wisconsin or Sparty whenever they play someone other than IU. After that the rest are fairly jumbled from 4 to 12 with Purdue being about 2,000th and Ohio St. being 1 millionth.

I root for MSU and PSU.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #450
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Congrats Diggama, what a game and finish!

It was an all out war. Very physical. And the winning shot couldn't have been hit by a better guy (Steve Mondou-Missi was fantastic to my son when we met him last season). Let's dance!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote