View Poll Results: Should HoN continue?
Yes 35 58.33%
No 25 41.67%
Trout 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Celebrity Hot or Not - should HoN Continue?

Based on feedback on the HoN threads including

Celebrity Hot or Not - Need Candidates - Front Office Football Central

... some here think HoN should not exist/continue. I'm happy to continue and I'm also happy to stop. Make a call.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It kinda cheapens this place IMO. And when HoN is in Vogue, I tend to be loath to go here during work or when hanging out with the wife.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm somewhere between Yes and Trout honestly.

The difficulty in finding worthwhile candidates suggests that while it's not obsolete it's realistically in the latter stage of relevance.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
Danny
Head Coach

I echo Isiddiqu. I participated some when I was in my 20's but I feel both I and society have out grown this type of thing. It does not reflect well on this place in 2021.

Last edited by Danny : 04-16-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:31 AM   #5
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Are people complaining about HoN threads when we have a "hot child molester thread"?
Old 04-17-2021, 02:08 AM   #6
Hammer
College Prospect

Women objectify men all the time. That seems to be socially acceptable. We can comment someone is skinny, but not when they are fat. Don't let society brain wash you, harmless fun.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:24 AM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

(Here's what I posted in the other thread and why I voted yes)

Here's how I look at this.

I agree posting then-and-now pics could be viewed as overboard. I can also agree that posting the more traditional HoN can be viewed as objectifications.

But in the context of trying to bring some levity, wink to this forum's earlier greatness, increased participation & friendly banter (as opposed to toxicity in some other threads), I can see justification for why these threads should exist in this particular forum.

In HoN, you have forum members being friendly, joking, and actively engaging with each other where they otherwise would not have.

Honestly, I do wish I restarted this series in 2020 when we all could have done with some fun while under the pressure of the unknown.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The difficulty in finding worthwhile candidates suggests that while it's not obsolete it's realistically in the latter stage of relevance.
TBH the "difficulty" is primarily due to my lack of imagination and exposure to things. There is no shortage of candidates.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-17-2021 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:49 AM   #9
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

People find people attractive. It is only really a problem when (mostly men) value only that trait in the opposite sex. I believe you can judge someone relative sexual attractiveness without degrading them to that one characteristic.
I value Angela Merkel, and admire her leadership. I do not find her hot. That in no way devalues her.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-17-2021 at 06:29 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Oh, who I am kidding. I'd hit it. Sexy minx.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:41 AM   #11
weegeebored
High School Varsity

What cheapens any forum is political talk. It goes nowhere, gets people angry, and for the most part is pointless. I don't see a poll here to eliminate that. If you don't like the threads then stay the fk out of them. HoN is not nearly as harmful as the political bullshit.

So..um..Yes. Continue HoN.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #12
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Mila Kunis and Alison Brie!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-17-2021 at 09:05 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Mila Kunis and Alison Brie!

Noted.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quite honestly the point of an off topic forum, especially one like this, which gives quite a bit of leeway in what people post should be open to this as long as it does not stray into an area of bad taste or ignorance.

These type of "contests/polls" exist all throughout society and both sexes participate.

Their is nothing wrong with celebrating people women/men in a tasteful way and saying someone is not hot to you does not necessarily demean them, as long as the comments aren't vile/crude.

I love women of color, am married to one and my celebrity crushes are probably 50% black. I rarely vote hot on a blonde, not because I find the woman ugly, or unattractive, but because that is not my cup of tea if you will and the said woman could be stunning and get a no vote from me.

I don't look at this poll the same way I look at a bunch of construction workers catcalling women with lewd comments as they pass. I also factor in personality (if I have been exposed to it) in my votes and have voted no on some that don't come off as particularly good human beings.

So obviously I voted yes because I don't feel that having one of these polls necessarily screams sexism. I have complimented women I know, or even women I don't know in public, even with my wife.

"I love your hair" "You have a nice smile" as examples and I look at these along those same lines.

If you don't like these polls you don't have to participate, just like you can skip political threads, mass shooting threads, religious threads, etc. It is an open forum to discuss things that interest a wide population and as long as the topics meet forum rules, let them be, instead of trying to narrow the set of morals to meet your own like it is a private message board. That said, if more people vote to stop than keep, that's cool too, democracy at it's finest.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-17-2021 at 10:13 AM.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I am pretty meh about them, but I think a line was sort of crossed during the "Used to be hot" where pictures of 60+ year old Kelly McGillis were posted. I'm glad someone stopped that one before it really got started.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
To me isn't the point do they need to continue, but do we need a new poll immediately posted each time someone mentions a name? New one every other day is a bit much in my book.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #17
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The whattaboutism speaks volumes as to why HoN should stop. "If [insert reprehensible objectification here] is okay, why cant we have a place for reprehensible objectification too?"

This isn't a discussion about political threads, or about some magazine issue, or what other idiots say or do. I think most of us are capable of worrying about more than one thing at a time, so just because some of us can "just not participate" doesn't equate to whether or not these threads should persist.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I am pretty meh about them, but I think a line was sort of crossed during the "Used to be hot" where pictures of 60+ year old Kelly McGillis were posted. I'm glad someone stopped that one before it really got started.

Agree with this and to address Todzilla, it is indeed a choice to participate, just like it is a choice for the board to decide if it continues or not and I really don't care much either way. It's not like there are more important issues to discuss, address etc.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think I was the one who started the CHorN threads on this board. Or maybe I took the reins after someone else started it. I don't really remember. I kinda made a decision earlier this week that I wasn't going to vote in them any more. Not saying others shouldn't have the right to enjoy them. Just saying I'm done with them.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-17-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #20
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The whattaboutism speaks volumes as to why HoN should stop. "If [insert reprehensible objectification here] is okay, why cant we have a place for reprehensible objectification too?"

This isn't a discussion about political threads, or about some magazine issue, or what other idiots say or do. I think most of us are capable of worrying about more than one thing at a time, so just because some of us can "just not participate" doesn't equate to whether or not these threads should persist.
"Reprehensible?" Holy overreaction Batman!

Every single day, virtually every single person on Earth (including you) scans multiple members of their preferred gender and instantly judges their attractiveness (aka objectifies them).

The photos shown in these threads are of famous people who have chosen to receive photographic publicity in order to gain greater fame and income.

If we were judging photos displaying the figures of normal citizens Britney of Des Moines or Keisha of Austin, who would not gain income or welcome fame, then I'd strenuously object to such threads.

Someone posting "Wow, this actress looks hot in this photo that she wanted to look hot in when she posed for it" isn't "reprehensible."

"Reprehensible" is storming the Capitol, denying people the right to vote, staging a mass shooting, separating children from parents at the border, and police using excessive force on citizens.

Note the profound chasm between the two.

Last edited by pantera : 04-17-2021 at 01:23 PM.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I remember about 8-10 years ago someone, don't remember who, just kept posting pictures of hot women in the "cool images" thread. In response I started posting pictures of morbidly obese women in bikinis.

good times.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I remember about 8-10 years ago someone, don't remember who, just kept posting pictures of hot women in the "cool images" thread. In response I started posting pictures of morbidly obese women in bikinis.

good times.

Are you the one that got the mods to ban the hot pics in that thread?
Old 04-18-2021, 03:20 AM   #23
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

can you NOT fill the whole place with these threads? one at a time is more than enough
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:37 AM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
To me isn't the point do they need to continue, but do we need a new poll immediately posted each time someone mentions a name? New one every other day is a bit much in my book.
Quote:
can you NOT fill the whole place with these threads? one at a time is more than enough

I'll be happy to accommodate but I don't read minds. So your recommendation? 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 days or 2 weeks between threads?
Old 04-18-2021, 04:48 AM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

I think its fair to wait till Wed to make a call. We got the weekend crowd to vote so there may be more on Mon and Tue.

But the upcoming lineup includes:

Quote:
Rachel Riley
Lucy Verasamy
Brooke Satchwell (Aussie)
Michelle Keegan - probably won't re-cycle this one because she had one done 2-3 years ago
Jess Ennis
Mila Kunis
Alison Brie
Michelle Mylett
Ivet Lalova - Female athletes could be a thread of its own really. (didn't think about this, called out Politicians so can do the same for Athletes)

And I need at least 5 others to support GrantDawg's secret crush before I would even consider it ...
Angela Merkel

As always, feel free to create your own polls if you want. I'm only helping continue the tradition.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-18-2021 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #26
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I really don't care. I'm old enough and have kept myself away from movies/TV shows for so long that I have no idea who 95% of these people are anyway.

From a societal perspective, while I understand the underlying issue with objectification, I do find it strange that people refuse to acknowledge that "sex sells" and the pictures that are being posted in these threads (and around the internet in general) are mainly posed pics that accentuate the sexuality of the woman. It's like the Greg Giraldo bit where he's talking about how absurd it is that a woman with glitter on her breasts is upset that men are not looking her in the eye. Like most issues, the responsibility flows both ways.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I feel like every time E64 gets called out for being too political (and one-trick), he comes back with a slew of HoN threads to try to prove that he's "normal." I don't know that this is the right approach.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

Crack, zing ... argghhh. You got me again.

Can you just join the rest of your bros and either leave the forum in disgust or ignore me?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #29
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
"Reprehensible?" Holy overreaction Batman!

rep·re·hen·si·ble /ˌreprəˈhensəb(ə)l/ adjective: deserving censure or condemnation.

Whoa, really crossed a line using such a big word....
Old 04-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #30
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Are you the one that got the mods to ban the hot pics in that thread?
You know, it's actually better to have a "Pictures of women we find attractive" thread I think. Just dump all the pics in there.

The putting women on display for us neckbeards to judge their attractiveness is the real issue.

(I was going to use "edgelords" in place of "neckbeards" but I'd hate to be taken to task again for my choice of vocabulary)
Old 04-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #31
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
The putting women on display for us neckbeards to judge their attractiveness is the real issue.
Issue for whom? Seriously...who gets affected by it? I doubt that Ciara or Mila Kunis is getting up in arms about the guys on FOFC rating their attractiveness. I am making a big deal of this because I am tired of the fake "holier than thou" people telling me what's appropriate and what is not. If HoN is no longer, I won't lose any sleep over it. But there really is an issue here, and it's not about rating physical attractiveness.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:50 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Back in the day Hattrick would kill to have 1 in 5 posts on the front page (10/50 currently) and it got shuffled off to its own forum. Though I also realize we're not "back in the day" anymore, either.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-18-2021 at 10:51 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #33
korme
Go Reds

I think it's pretty distasteful to still keep running these threads out. It's not going to affect me either way if it does, but I do find it a little disappointing that we are still voting on these things in 2021.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #34
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Issue for whom? Seriously...who gets affected by it? I doubt that Ciara or Mila Kunis is getting up in arms about the guys on FOFC rating their attractiveness. I am making a big deal of this because I am tired of the fake "holier than thou" people telling me what's appropriate and what is not. If HoN is no longer, I won't lose any sleep over it. But there really is an issue here, and it's not about rating physical attractiveness.
Lighten up, Francis.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #35
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Lighten up, Francis.
You first.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:30 PM   #36
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I am making a big deal of this because I am tired of the fake "holier than thou" people telling me what's appropriate and what is not.

You're not going to earn very many woke points with that attitude.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #37
tarcone
Coordinator

I think promoting beauty over violence is a good thing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:40 AM   #38
Edward64
Head Coach

Calling it now as I don't think the 60-40 results will change that much. Assume most people that care have already voted and have expressed their opinion one way or another (am surprised there weren't any Trout votes though).

I'll also keep my HoN to approx 1 per week. I'll make a personal judgement call if someone is like a "Britney of Des Moines or Keisha of Austin", I agree those should not be polled.

The list of upcoming is below. As always, feel free to create your own HoN if you like. And for those who don't care to participate, just ignore.

Quote:
Rachel Riley
Lucy Verasamy
Brooke Satchwell (Aussie)
Michelle Keegan - probably won't re-cycle this one because she had one done 2-3 years ago
Jess Ennis
Mila Kunis
Alison Brie
Michelle Mylett
Ivet Lalova - Female athletes could be a thread of its own really. (didn't think about this, called out Politicians so can do the same for Athletes)
Michelle Mylett
@makenzie_raine
@izabelaion
@hiann_

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-21-2021 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #39
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I think promoting beauty over violence is a good thing.

Is that what HoN is doing?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #40
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Is that what HoN is doing?

Absolutely. How many threads on here discuss violence? And their life spans last a lot longer than the HoN threads that are here for maybe a week before they fade to page 2.

It is a cultural thing why Americans love their violence. Go to Europe and they love their sex and beauty.

If this was a Europe based message board, the poll would be talking about getting rid of the FBI Opens Investigation into Shooting of Michael Brown thread, I imagine.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote