Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Conspiracy Theories you actually beleive

I am generally of the theory that three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead. So I think that most of the popular conspiracy theories are not true. They are fun to talk and joke about, but they sadly aren't true.

But there is one that I do believe. Ken Lay (of Enron) faked his death to get out of going to prison, got plastic surgery, and lived out his days (or is still living out his days) on a tropical island somewhere.

What are ones--popular or obscure--that you actually believe?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-16-2021 at 10:38 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I believe Chinese government is encouraging the flow of Fentanyl into the United States.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I want to believe that Stevie Wonder can see.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I want to believe that Stevie Wonder can see.

That's one of the most fun for sure.

When my friend first casually mentioned "Stevie Wonder isn't blind truthers," I was like "Wait? What?!" And he took me down the rabbit hole, and it was awesome.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
molson
General Manager

There isn't any I'd put over a 25% chance of being real. I think by definition, there are necessary dynamics that turn something into a recognized "conspiracy theory" that kind of require it to not be true.

So I didn't even answer your question. I'm kind of just a big jerk.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Molson IS Ken Lay.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Molson IS Ken Lay.

You'd have to be blind (unlike Stevie Wonder) to not see it!
Old 04-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Damn it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
bob
College Starter

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say I believe it, but if it ever came out that the US government shot down the plane over Shanksville on 9/11 I would not be surprised.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I believe it's I before E except after C, or when sound like long A as in nEIghbor or wEIgh.

I definitely must be a loon for that one based on most work correspondence.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say I believe it, but if it ever came out that the US government shot down the plane over Shanksville on 9/11 I would not be surprised.

This is mine, too.

I think there is some possibility that Flight 93 was shot down before it got to a more populated area.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the Malaysia Air flight was shot down and they created some wild conspiracy theory that the pilot subdued everyone and flew out to the middle of the ocean.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There have been several instances in the past decade or so of pilot suicide. You don't need to subdue the passengers to crash. All you have to do is lock your co-pilot out and fly into the water or a mountain - which is exactly what has been done.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #14
pantera
n00b

I don't even know if you can call it a conspiracy at this point, but Congress is going to be presented with a lot of new UFO information this summer.

From this video below, a former big shot at the Pentagon was asked about the Navy videos we've all seen: "Were those the only videos that the government has. He said 'No, those were probably the least compelling videos. In some videos you see an object about 50 feet away from the cockpit.'"

NBC Today Show: Leaked Navy photos and videos spotlight Pentagon’s UFO investigation

Last edited by pantera : 04-16-2021 at 03:14 PM.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

UFOs are a weird subject to talk about because they get associated with aliens, ghosts, etc. There is nothing inherently paranormal or alien about a flying object you can't identify per se though; just means you don't know what it is.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
There have been several instances in the past decade or so of pilot suicide. You don't need to subdue the passengers to crash. All you have to do is lock your co-pilot out and fly into the water or a mountain - which is exactly what has been done.

I know the logical answer but it's a conspiracy theory!

Actually I think some investigative reporter wrote a book recently on it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #17
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Epstein didn't kill himself.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Epstein didn't kill himself.

This
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #19
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Lee Harvey Oswald was wacky, but not a lone gunman. Most likely a patsy. Pick your conspiracy -- the mob, the Russians, the US government. ALL of them???
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #20
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Lee Harvey Oswald was wacky, but not a lone gunman. Most likely a patsy. Pick your conspiracy -- the mob, the Russians, the US government. ALL of them???

This is mine as well. The coincidences needed for Oswald to be the sole conspirator is beyond belief for me.

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-16-2021 at 07:02 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

There is a hollow Earth. I believe there is. And I think there a re somme wild creatures that we havent even thought of have inventing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #22
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Tangent: if you want to read a GREAT book of fiction, try Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's over 800 pages but an easy read. He's such an entertaining storyteller.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:03 PM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

I wouldn't go as far as we have found wreckage and studying them in Area 51, but I believe the US government believes there are "space aliens" out there with all the UFO sightings.

I have a very low bar of us finding some extra terrestrial amoeba in Mars or Titan or where ever before I die. But my real wish is for friendly aliens to be found ala Vulcans/Federation.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #24
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
Tangent: if you want to read a GREAT book of fiction, try Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's over 800 pages but an easy read. He's such an entertaining storyteller.
I did read it. It wasn't what I was hoping for though. I thought the first 75-80% was entertaining, but I was disappointed in the finish.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

How soon we forget ... I can easily believe Putin has some secret pics or video on Trump. I don't know what it was, but there was "something".
Old 04-17-2021, 12:15 AM   #26
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I believe that Pink Floyd's Echoes was meant to synch up with the ending to 2001
Old 04-17-2021, 01:24 AM   #27
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Epstein is one for me.

It's not a conspiracy theory per se, but I'm mostly convinced of the Simulation Hypothesis despite my best efforts to the contrary. I don't *want* to believe it, but I can't argue myself out of it.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:38 AM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's not a conspiracy theory per se, but I'm mostly convinced of the Simulation Hypothesis despite my best efforts to the contrary. I don't *want* to believe it, but I can't argue myself out of it.

I'm guessing you are referring to "computer like" simulations ala The Matrix. Like we are the Sims VVII running on a CPU chip that far exceeds all the computer power that exists today. In a way, I can equate this to living in God's playground and there is another reality out there, so in the broadest terms, yeah I buy it. But no, not as the Sims.

(But then, I'm still struggling to understand alternate dimensions).

Do We Live in a Simulation? Chances Are about 50–50 - Scientific American
Quote:
Such conversations may seem flippant. But ever since Nick Bostrom of the University of Oxford wrote a seminal paper about the simulation argument in 2003, philosophers, physicists, technologists and, yes, comedians have been grappling with the idea of our reality being a simulacrum. Some have tried to identify ways in which we can discern if we are simulated beings. Others have attempted to calculate the chance of us being virtual entities. Now a new analysis shows that the odds that we are living in base reality—meaning an existence that is not simulated—are pretty much even.
:
Before Bostrom, the movie The Matrix had already done its part to popularize the notion of simulated realities. And the idea has deep roots in Western and Eastern philosophical traditions, from Plato’s cave allegory to Zhuang Zhou’s butterfly dream.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:58 AM   #29
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Epstien and Trump's Russia thing are the most likely. I believe a very low number of conspiracy theories that are peddled are true. That is not to say there aren't many secrets that exist that we have even heard a hint of. Those are more fascinating when they appear.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-17-2021 at 05:58 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Epstien and Trump's Russia thing are the most likely. I believe a very low number of conspiracy theories that are peddled are true. That is not to say there aren't many secrets that exist that we have even heard a hint of. Those are more fascinating when they appear.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That's the key, right? Sprinkle in some real ones and some believable ones so it's hard to know which are which?

MORRIS AS MULDER: "Oh, I love you guys. I really do. I mean, you're the "Lone Gunmen," aren't you? You guys are my heroes. I mean, look at this crap you print."
BYERS: (defensive) We uncover the truth.
MORRIS AS MULDER: Oh, the truth. Well, see that's what's so great about you monkeys. Not only do you believe this horse pucky that we create you broadcast it as well. I mean, look at this.
(Shows LGM headline " Saddam testing Mandriod Army in Army Iraqi Desert.)
MORRIS AS MULDER: There is no Saddam Hussein. This guy's name is John Gillnitz. We found him doing dinner theater in Tulsa. Did a mean King and I. Plays good ethnics.
LANGLY: You're trying to say that Saddam Hussein's a government plant?
MORRIS AS MULDER: I'm saying I invented the guy. We set him up in '79. He rattles his saber whenever we need a good distraction. Ah... If you boys only knew how many of your stories I dreamed up while sitting on the pot.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #31
BYU 14
Coordinator

I will add, another from the "prime era" of conspiracies is Charles Manson and his use/manipulation by the government.

If you are not familiar, I actually read this book, it is both disturbing and fascinating.

Chaos And Conspiracy -The Secret History Of The Manson Murders – The Reprobate
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:39 AM   #32
Edward64
Head Coach

More to toss around

Mattress Firm and like are money laundering schemes. Do we buy that many mattresses from brick and mortar stores to keep MF in business?

William and Harry are from different fathers. They don't look alike at all and knowing the unhappiness in that marriage, very easy to believe.

Jesus was married, had kids and bloodline still exists today. Don't really know about all the DaVinci code stuff but can believe this (actually want to believe this for all the cool implications).

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-18-2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #33
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Jesus was married, had kids and bloodline still exists today. Don't really know about all the DaVinci code stuff but can believe this (actually want to believe this for all the cool implications).

I read a pretty good page-turner thriller (forget the name) where this was the plot. A secret society was trying to track down Jesus' descendants for nefarious purposes, and our hero had to stop them.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I read a pretty good page-turner thriller (forget the name) where this was the plot. A secret society was trying to track down Jesus' descendants for nefarious purposes, and our hero had to stop them.

Dan Brown's "DaVinci Code" or another book?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #35
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Although Dick Cheney did authorize the plane to be shot down, with the timeline that has been corroborated from independent sources I think it’s nearly impossible that it was shot down. If so, they would have to shoot it down at precisely the same moment that Todd Beamer and company were storming the cockpit after his conversation with Lisa Jefferson, while Ziad Jarrah was pitching the plane up and down.

Then, there’s the voice recording, which if one believes in the conspiracy I suppose could have been planted, where you have Jarrah and the hijackers yelling “Shall we finish it off?” and the sound of passengers yelling and crashing sounds as they tried to break into the cockpit, followed by Jarrah reciting the takbir twice, before asking “Is that it? I mean, shall we put it down?” “Pull it down! Pull it down!” We know that the plane plummeted into a nosedive with the yoke turned hard to the right before the plane rolled upside down, while another hijacker began reciting the takbir. The aircraft picked up speed on its rapid descent (whooshing and shrieking picked up on the recorder) before crashing into the field.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #36
pantera
n00b

I heard an interesting story from a former Navy member I later befriended in business. He was a bigwig for a major food corporation. This man was no-nonsense, truthful, and one of the smartest individuals I've ever met.

After WW2, Newport RI was the major destroyer base for the East Coast. Aircraft carriers and battleships would temporarily port there as well.

In the 1960s, the US developed the Nimitz-class carriers, the first of which was launched in 1975.

Concurrently, construction of the massive Newport Bridge that joined eastern and western parts of Rhode Island, and spanned Narragansett Bay, began in 1966.

According to my friend, the bridge designers failed to communicate with the Navy about the height of the bridge. It was designed to be below 200 feet originally. The Navy complained and thus the designed height was modified to 207 feet. But it still wasn't enough and the Defense Dept. pulled the entire destroyer fleet out of Newport in 1973, because the new Nimitz-class carriers were 244 feet tall and would not be able to pass under the bridge.

"Rhode Island, the smallest state in the nation, was going to absorb 50 per cent of the defense cuts ordered by President Nixon...Rhode Island lost 17,000 military personnel and their families, and 6,000 civilian workers...The statewide unemployment rate soared from about 6 per cent to 18.2 per cent, rising to more than 30 per cent in some towns." https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-373923d36442/

All because a design team didn't bother to make a phone call to the Navy. Oops.

(There is still a Navy base in Newport, but there are no major ships stationed there anymore)

Last edited by pantera : 04-18-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #37
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It sure would be nice if we someday dealt with the fact that the VP isn't in the chain of command and can't legally execute that order.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #38
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It sure would be nice if we someday dealt with the fact that the VP isn't in the chain of command and can't legally execute that order.
It would have been a real issue if it actually had been shot down. Of course that is why people believe the conspiracy even with clear evidence that it didn't happen that way. This is why conspiracy theories can be fustrating and even dangerous (like Q-annon and the like). You can't disprove a conspiracy theory. It is always "so they want you to believe." Hard evidence is all fabricated for "insert this reason here." The fact that such a large percentage of the populous willing to believe utter fantasy is just scary.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-18-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #39
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
I'm guessing you are referring to "computer like" simulations ala The Matrix. Like we are the Sims VVII running on a CPU chip that far exceeds all the computer power that exists today. In a way, I can equate this to living in God's playground and there is another reality out there, so in the broadest terms, yeah I buy it. But no, not as the Sims.

Yep. Specifically, I can't explain what we know about quantam mechanics is any other way that fits nearly as well.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #40
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I tend to put conspiracy theories on a sliding scale of likelihood. While I would like to claim that I rank them based on evidence, I concede that gut feeling influences the rankings significantly.

Kennedy assassination, unidentified aerial phenomena and Jeffrey Epstein are high on the list. Yet I've never believed any of the 9/11 conspiracies, so they are at the bottom.

I don't put much stock in replacements/deaths conspiracies, so I don't think Elvis or Ken Lay are still alive and I also believe that's the real Paul McCartney and Avril Lavigne. I also don't think Katy Perry is Jon Benet Ramsey. I did think Trig Palin was Bristol Palin's son and Sarah Palin's grandson for a while but I abandoned that a while ago.

Stevie Wonder can see is some near the middle.

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #41
rjolley
College Starter

Michael Jordan's baseball career was a way to punish him for his gambling without tarnishing his popularity and negatively impacting the NBA.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #42
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Michael Jordan's baseball career was a way to punish him for his gambling without tarnishing his popularity and negatively impacting the NBA.
That's one I think is more of a middle ground. He wasn't "stealth banned", but I think that heat around that along with personal factors made him decide to walk away for awhile.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-18-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #43
pantera
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Yep. Specifically, I can't explain what we know about quantam mechanics is any other way that fits nearly as well.
I heard a slightly different twist on this. We are in reality not a simulation, but we were created by a higher being / God. However our intelligence is too low to comprehend what is going on around us.

The example given likened us to an ant walking on a laptop. The ant sees the laptop buttons, see images flickering on the screen, but has no understanding of how the buttons are attached to a motherboard and hard drive, or of what the images and text on the screen represent.

Thus, there are "obvious" technologies and natural wonders staring us in the face every day that we are too stupid to understand.

When I heard that explanation I immediately thought of a black hole. To a higher being, a black hole is a simple concept. But we may never truly understand what they are.

Then -- if you really want to get crazy -- does the ant sit there & think "This dude keeps banging on this big slab of plastic I'm on. I wonder WTF all those lines and squiggles up there mean, & why do they keep changing? Damn he's smart. I feel like such a dope!"
Old 04-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #44
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Courtney killed Kurt.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

Oh, I forgot about that one. But I've always at least half subscribed to it. On the one hand, it was in the wake of the Pete Rose betting scandal in baseball (and how if that happened today it would go down totally different). But, on the other hand, Michael Jordan is still one of the most recognizable and influential people on the planet so how was David Stern going to be able to get him to walk away from basketball unless he wanted to.

SI

Old 04-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #46
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

if you haven't seen this chart from Abbie Richards, it's a pretty good one.

Last edited by Jughead Spock : 04-18-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #47
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't think I want to know what Soy Boys is, but what is the Denver Airport conspiracy theory?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't think I want to know what Soy Boys is, but what is the Denver Airport conspiracy theory?

Oh those are mostly fun and/or goofy. It was built by the Illuminati/New World Order/Freemasons. It has all sorts of secret places in it like Fallout-style bunkers, the Illuminati HQ, or FEMA concentration camps. Naturally, it took forever to build and was horribly over budget because they were building all that stuff and definitely not just incompetent government and contractors. The art is all kindof weird: the crazy horse, gargoyles, giant oddball murals, etc.

SI

Old 04-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #49
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh those are mostly fun and/or goofy. It was built by the Illuminati/New World Order/Freemasons. It has all sorts of secret places in it like Fallout-style bunkers, the Illuminati HQ, or FEMA concentration camps. Naturally, it took forever to build and was horribly over budget because they were building all that stuff and definitely not just incompetent government and contractors. The art is all kindof weird: the crazy horse, gargoyles, giant oddball murals, etc.

SI

As a player in FO76, all I can say is if they built bunkers under Whitesprings, it wouldn't surprise me if they built something under the Denver airport.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #50
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to assume that the chart verifies that Stevie Wonder can see.