Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #3401
RainMaker
General Manager

Definitely feels like a theater film. Going this weekend I hope.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #3402
Kodos
Resident Alien

As someone who has never had anything to do with Dune, sell me on it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #3403
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Regardless of how great the book/story is, bad adaptation, special effects, acting etc. will kill it (e.g. Lynch movie). I'm cautiously optimistic but will wait for early reviews.

(The TV series adaption was pretty good IMO).

Best I can tell you about the book, it's consistently in the top-25 of best Sci-Fi books written (so it's you if you don't like the story or the writing style). The first in the series is the best. The others got too weird for me. Herbert's son continued writing but they are okay at best (but provide a great deal of background which is great).

Sandworms, funky drug called Spice, Sardaukar, sexy Witches with mind control, sadistic Barons, native women with pretty blue eyes (and knives) etc. Traitors, faithful servants etc ... what's not to like!

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-22-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #3404
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The new version won't have this

Spoiler

But it does have Aquaman, Thanos, Poe Dameron, Drax, and that scientist from Thor in it.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #3405
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The best way I can put it is it's a great sci-fi story with political intrigue, religion, determinism, and some pretty cool themes. Terrific worldbuilding and characters.

It's sci-fi where the sci-fi part isn't the most important aspect. Kind of like how Game of Thrones is a fantasy show but that's not the crux of it.

The novel is terrific although hasn't aged as well since newer standards in the genre have hurt it. But this is just a movie and has gotten great reviews so far. I think it's worth investing a couple hours for.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #3406
tarcone
Coordinator

Great post RM

I stopped 3 minutes in to come here and say, HOLY SHIT! I'M IN! HEART IS IN THE THROAT! BIG DUNE FAN BY THE WAY!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #3407
Izulde
Head Coach

The first book of the Dune series is a masterpiece. Second book is just okay, not great. Third book, which I'm partway through, is a lot better, but isn't at the level of the first one, which is no shame.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #3408
Jas_lov
College Starter

Didn't even realize Curb Your Enthusiasm was coming back. Pretty good first episode with Albert Brooks. She plopped.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #3409
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The episode in Schitts creek where Patrick comes out to his parents was amazingly well done. One of the best 30 minutes of TV I have watched.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #3410
spleen1015
Coordinator

Anyone watch Yellowstone? I thought this first 2 hours was a huge letdown after the way the last season ended.

Really looking forward to the Wheel of Time show. I look forward to it more and more with every clip they drop. It is not going to be an exact retelling of the books and it looks like quite a bit may be changed, but it still looks damn good.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #3411
molson
General Manager

The new Dexter season started too, I haven't found the time to watch it yet.

My 81-year old father was excited to watch it, parts of it were filmed near him and he chatted up some of the crew during his dog walks. He has no clue what the show is about. I tried to explain to him, but it may have been more fun if I didn't.

Edit: Will watch Yellowstone shortly too. I am bracing for a slower pace, that's kind of how that show goes sometimes. I just need to be in the right mindset. The Yellowstone prequal set in the late 1800s looks intriguing too.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2021 at 01:09 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #3412
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife and I were in the town where they filmed the new season of Dexter a few weeks ago. A lot of stores had Dexter-themed shirts and souvenirs.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:22 PM   #3413
Bobble
College Prospect

Have we talked about comedians on Netflix? I'm a big fan of Nate Bargatze. Great delivery. Clean, family-friendly humor. I'd recommend starting with S1E1 of The Standups. He leads off that series and has a great half-hour set. The rest of the series isn't worth it, IMO. After that, he's got a couple of specials. The Tennessee Kid is one. I think there's another one but I don't remember the name.

Also, Dmitri Martin has a smart, punchy observational humor. He's got a couple of specials on there. Both are good.

Lastly, I don't know if the humor translates to every American but British comedian James Acaster's Repertoire was hilarious to me. You might want closed captioning. His accent, word velocity, and a little bit of a speech thing make it a little tough to hear but I think it's worth it.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:44 PM   #3414
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The new Dexter season started too, I haven't found the time to watch it yet.

We did. Really fun to have him back. The episode was good, obviously setting up the season, but Hall is amazing as always.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:11 AM   #3415
Edward64
Head Coach

Been flipping through some youtube and watching eating/food shows. I'm glad I found them as we obviously won't be getting anymore Bourdain shows and Zimmern has been dropped by Travel/Discovery channel.

Some definitely matches Bizzare foods but non has matched the sedate, interview style of Bourdain.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #3416
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Been flipping through some youtube and watching eating/food shows. I'm glad I found them as we obviously won't be getting anymore Bourdain shows and Zimmern has been dropped by Travel/Discovery channel.

Some definitely matches Bizzare foods but non has matched the sedate, interview style of Bourdain.
Have you watched "Somebody Feed Phil" and "Taste The Nation"? I highly recommend "Somebody Feed Phil" especially.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #3417
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Have you watched "Somebody Feed Phil" and "Taste The Nation"? I highly recommend "Somebody Feed Phil" especially.

Good to see there's another fan here. I have watched Phil but not Taste the Nation. Will have to check that one out.

Currently watching below. He's got a stupid bandana but he has interesting guests and eats interesting food. Currently watching him in Africa with Miss Nigeria.

Best Ever Food Review Show - YouTube

Also watching the Food Ranger for a more sedate personality. Mark Wiens is good also but his "after bite expression" bugs me.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #3418
GrantDawg

Quote:
Good to see there's another fan here. I have watched Phil but not Taste the Nation. Will have to check that one out.

Currently watching below. He's got a stupid bandana but he has interesting guests and eats interesting food. Currently watching him in Africa with Miss Nigeria.

Best Ever Food Review Show - YouTube

Also watching the Food Ranger for a more sedate personality. Mark Wiens is good also but his "after bite expression" bugs me.
Definitely a fellow fan. Love travel food shows, though the host makes a huge difference. Bourdain was definitely one of the best, and I think Phil might be right with him though in a very different way. On the other end, I can't stand Guy Fieri.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #3419
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

My wife and I have been watching the Emmy Award winning series "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon Prime. The series is based on Philip K. Dick's novel of the same name. It's a compelling drama of what life might have been like if the Axis powers had won World War II.

The series starts in the year 1962. In the parallel universe, Germany and Japan have divided the United States into the Greater Nazi Reich in the east, with New York City as its regional capital, and the Japanese Pacific States to the west, with San Francisco as the capital. These territories are separated by a neutral zone that encompasses the Rocky Mountains.

Here's the trailer for Season 1:

"The Man in the High Castle - Official Trailer
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #3420
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, that series has been out for awhile. I did not like it and I am an alternate history buff.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:21 PM   #3421
JPhillips
General Manager

I loved season 1, but it got progressively worse as it went on. The series ending was infuriating.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #3422
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to Wheel of Time & Witcher.

Also next Squid Games (not official yet) and The Kingdom next year hopefully.

Watched the Jungle Cruise. Dwayne Johnson is always entertaining but movie was kinda blah.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 AM   #3423
GrantDawg

Wheel of Time first episodes drop at 7pm tonight.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #3424
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

TBH I wasn't impressed by the trailer. First review I read said it was just okay.

But looking forward to being drawn into a new world to escape this one.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #3425
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I thought it was Friday.

Anyways I read the first 4 or 5 books a while back and I'll give the series a chance.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #3426
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I thought it was Friday.

Anyways I read the first 4 or 5 books a while back and I'll give the series a chance.

I'm seeing 12am eastern tomorrow/tonight.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #3427
spleen1015
Coordinator

Nov 19th is day. I hope it is 8pm tonight though!
Old 11-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #3428
spleen1015
Coordinator

Latest News - Wheel of Time TV Series News

This says 7pm ET tonight!

Last edited by spleen1015 : 11-18-2021 at 09:38 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #3429
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
TBH I wasn't impressed by the trailer. First review I read said it was just okay.

But looking forward to being drawn into a new world to escape this one.

I've seen 2 kinds of reviews.

First, folks who didn't read the books, who are comparing it to GoT, they shit on it.

Folks who have read the books and don't compare it to GoT are loving it.

So, we'll see.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #3430
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

"Note that we don't have an official time announced by #PrimeVideo, but if we assume a midnight GMT drop, we are 24 hours away"

I still haven't found any official confirmation of EST or GMT.

Edit: Found this though

Quote:
Amazon doesn’t reveal the release time for every upcoming TV show or movie. However, the platform usually updates the library with new releases at midnight GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). So, if it follows the same release pattern, you’ll get the first three episodes of The Wheel of Time at 4 PM PST on Thursday, November 18th, 2021.

https://www.dualshockers.com/the-whe...ime-confirmed/

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-18-2021 at 09:43 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #3431
GrantDawg

I got the time from a screen shot someone had with an Amazon rep. Not official-official, but likely correct.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #3432
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not sure if you get the British Top Gear, but if you do, I urge you to watch the last 20minutes or so of the 1st show of the new series

The film about the story of Eddie Kidd, the English Evel/Robbie Knievel, was beautiful, honestly made me tear up at the end.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #3433
spleen1015
Coordinator

Wot is live on Prime frenz.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #3434
RainMaker
General Manager

So it's just the first few episodes and then released weekly?

I don't know what others think, but I kind of like the weekly release schedule for big shows. One thing that seems to hurt Netflix is you don't get to discuss their shows too much because everyone is at different points. Half the fun of shows like GoT is being able to talk about them each week.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #3435
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone else a fan of Apple TV? Really didn't give it a second thought but they have some really underrated shows. For All Mankind is solid. And I'm sort of digging Foundation. And while Ted Lasso isn't really my thing, I know a ton of people who loved the show.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #3436
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone else a fan of Apple TV? Really didn't give it a second thought but they have some really underrated shows. For All Mankind is solid. And I'm sort of digging Foundation. And while Ted Lasso isn't really my thing, I know a ton of people who loved the show.

I've had it for free for... well a while (a year became an addition 6 months randomly and then another 6 months got added because the PS5 had a promotion). Ted Lasso was fantastic (though second season was a bit worse). I just finished the first season of Foundation, and that's going to be it for me on that show - a strange show where one plot is amazing and the rest is like I'm watching a bad CW show (and seems to treat it's source material almost as badly as the I, Robot movie did... ok, maybe not that harsh).

I thought For All Mankind was good (though not great). Morning Show had one fantastic season and has followed it up with a meh.

Acapulco is a really fun show. Trying was excellent.

However, I still think Dickenson is the best show of the bunch. Quality has continued through all its 3 seasons.

I most likely will not be paying for this service aside from one month a year when I can binge future Ted Lasso seasons.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #3437
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched first episode of Bebop Cowboy. It didn't grab me but will give it until episode 3 (or what I call the Wanda Vision test).
Old 11-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #3438
Izulde
Head Coach

Tiger King has a short second season that dropped on Netflix as well.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #3439
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Watched first episode of Bebop Cowboy. It didn't grab me but will give it until episode 3 (or what I call the Wanda Vision test).

I figure I should be able to tell by the preview whether it works or not. It's so stylized that if you don't capture that, then the series probably won't work - it'll be like a mediocre space western like (/braces for howling/) Firefly.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #3440
miami_fan
Coordinator

Has anyone seen the documentary film "The City of Joel" on Amazon Prime?

I have questions.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #3441
JPhillips
General Manager

I haven't seen the film, but I live in the county.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #3442
miami_fan
Coordinator

1. Does Kiryas Joel have its own separate govt.? I did not see any mention of it

2. There is a sign outside of Kiryas Joel that seems to dictate how someone should be dressed, groomed etc. in order to enter that area. Is that mandated by law or is that something that is basically an ask to be respectful to the community?

3. Finally,MY GOODNESS! How does that whole situation work? Just watching the documentary was uncomfortable.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:42 PM   #3443
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We're just getting around to Loki and, through episode 4, this has some serious Doctor Who vibes

SI

Old 11-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #3444
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
1. Does Kiryas Joel have its own separate govt.? I did not see any mention of it

2. There is a sign outside of Kiryas Joel that seems to dictate how someone should be dressed, groomed etc. in order to enter that area. Is that mandated by law or is that something that is basically an ask to be respectful to the community?

3. Finally,MY GOODNESS! How does that whole situation work? Just watching the documentary was uncomfortable.

It's a gigantic source of tension in the county. The leaders have made some deals with the surrounding communities that they have not upheld. They do insist on people following the religious laws of their community, but they can't enforce most of it legally. They can and do, though, make life difficult for anyone not a part of their community.

They game the system and get a lot of welfare and they play games with loans and mortgages. My first landlord here was from the community and he never paid the mortgage or property taxes and eventually the house I was renting was sold by the bank.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #3445
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
We're just getting around to Loki and, through episode 4, this has some serious Doctor Who vibes

SI

After watching all 6 eps of Loki, it has a really Whovian feel, particularly the Russell T. Davies seasons

SI

Old 11-21-2021, 11:51 PM   #3446
molson
General Manager

Really enjoying The Great on Hulu. Season 2 just came out so we're rushing to finish Season 1. It's created by the guy co-wrote the Favourite, and it's a similar style to that - historical period piece fiction (18th Century Russia), but the dialogue is written like it's a modern British comedy. Nicholas Hoult is in both and he's just perfect for that style. Good drama too that hits you just when you let your guard down from the comedy and vulgarity and general over-the-top insanity.

Last edited by molson : 11-21-2021 at 11:53 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #3447
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched ep1 of Mumbai Diaries. Best I can tell so far, it's a combination ER and retelling of the terrorism event in 2008.

Not sure I like it enough to finish it. Will watch ep2 because I am enjoying seeing another culture/way of life (and waiting for The Witcher). I'm sure it's exaggerated but still provide hints of Indian life.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #3448
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Really enjoying The Great on Hulu. Season 2 just came out so we're rushing to finish Season 1. It's created by the guy co-wrote the Favourite, and it's a similar style to that - historical period piece fiction (18th Century Russia), but the dialogue is written like it's a modern British comedy. Nicholas Hoult is in both and he's just perfect for that style. Good drama too that hits you just when you let your guard down from the comedy and vulgarity and general over-the-top insanity.

"This is Science. Enjoy !"

And yes, it's a very good show
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #3449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

About halfway through season 1 of Hannah. Not earth shattering but enjoyable. Kind of a Jason Bourne meets an angst ridden teenage girl.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #3450
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finally finished the first season of Cobra Kai.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote