Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #2401
spleen1015
Coordinator

If I'm really reading what I'm reading in that EW article, I'm really disappointed. Maybe it will still be the case when GRRM finishes the books, but if the major theory around Jon Snow's mum isn't true on the show, then I am really disappointed. I guess it could still be the case but what's the point if he's dead?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #2402
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It becomes apparent that GRRM has created a world that can go in any direction (as long as it takes a season or two to get there).

From a television perspective, I appreciate not having to join, for example, Brienne and Podrick's seemingly endless travels down roads that don't necessarily lead anywhere.

Aside from Dany and, perhaps, Tyrion, we're fresh out of characters that have an important purpose to the story. Everyone else (like Robb, Stannis, Jon, Ned, even Myrcella) winds up dead. Often, seemingly, for shock value as much as anything.

What initially hooked me on GoT was that they were willing to behead Ned (in front of Arya, no less) less than one season into the story. That got me reading the books.

This show can go on for a long time because there's always room for a new story and a new direction. I'd rather GRRM be running the story because he has an encyclopedia in his head and is probably the only person who can keep characters true to themselves. But we can start again in Dorne. Or in Meereen. Or at the Wall. And there's plenty to talk about. The show is expensive, but not necessarily because of the actors.

Winter was coming in the very first scene in the very first episode. It hasn't even arrived. And the only specific story that commands an answer is Dany and her Dragons (I'd imagine the other two are fairly screwed in the head after a few months in the dungeon).

I really don't want Zombie Jon, though. Hopefully that's just misdirection.

I've often had similar thoughts. As much as I love some of the characters and really interested to see what happens to them, I question their role in the bigger picture.

It seems like it's Dany, Tyrion, Jon (assuming he is alive) and then... everyone else. Well, maybe Bran, because he's got his whole Three-Eyed Raven magic thing happening. What role is Jamie going to plan at the end? Cersei? Brienne? Arya? Sansa? Littlefinger?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #2403
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
If I'm really reading what I'm reading in that EW article, I'm really disappointed. Maybe it will still be the case when GRRM finishes the books, but if the major theory around Jon Snow's mum isn't true on the show, then I am really disappointed. I guess it could still be the case but what's the point if he's dead?

There is no point. Just like in a dozen other instances.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #2404
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

The disappointing thing will be if it doesn't matter.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #2405
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Would it be really bad to hope that someone does a meme of Arya revealing all those faces, and two of them happen to be Rachel Dolezal, before and after her transformation?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #2406
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Would it be really bad to hope that someone does a meme of Arya revealing all those faces, and two of them happen to be Rachel Dolezal, before and after her transformation?

LOL.

yes
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #2407
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Actually, other than the Sand Snakes, the Dornish cast was largely great to good. The Red Viper - amazing. One of the best cast characters of the show - bar none. It is known.

Ellaria Sand - was great. Doran Martell was pretty much perfect and well cast, he just didn't have anything to do. Same with Areo Hotah.

It all comes down to the Sand Snakes. Yeah, they sucked. Every scene with them was pretty embarrassing.

But three minor - let's face it, they are SUPER minor characters, they are cool in concept, but even in the books they have done VERY very little - characters who are miscast and poorly written does NOT a trend make.

This isn't me spin doctoring, these are the facts.

I actually enjoyed the youngest sand snake, and not just because she gave us a striptease. I think she nailed it. The other two were pretty awful. To be fair, it's not like they had a ton to work with though.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #2408
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Spoiler
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #2409
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I actually enjoyed the youngest sand snake, and not just because she gave us a striptease. I think she nailed it. The other two were pretty awful. To be fair, it's not like they had a ton to work with though.

To be honest, I would have liked it if "the youngest" was actually supposed to be portray the middle child, Nymeria. In the books (this isn't a spoiler because they aren't going to do this), the youngest Sand Snake is the daughter of a septa and gets sent by Doran Martell secretly to King's Landing to try to befriend the High Sparrow. In the books, Doran is doing all this sneaky kind of stuff and is always one step ahead.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #2410
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
To be honest, I would have liked it if "the youngest" was actually supposed to be portray the middle child, Nymeria. In the books (this isn't a spoiler because they aren't going to do this), the youngest Sand Snake is the daughter of a septa and gets sent by Doran Martell secretly to King's Landing to try to befriend the High Sparrow. In the books, Doran is doing all this sneaky kind of stuff and is always one step ahead.

Actually, nothing has happened that I recall which would remove this option for next season, especially now that they have made the youngest, umm, stand out, and the High Sparrow is still very much around.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #2411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #2412
spleen1015
Coordinator

That's a good point.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #2413
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, nothing has happened that I recall which would remove this option for next season, especially now that they have made the youngest, umm, stand out, and the High Sparrow is still very much around.

You really think she could "septa" it up?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #2414
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You really think she could "septa" it up?

It's not a fantasy of mine lol

But I could see the showrunners making a go of it.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #2415
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey, you can't show your tits to anyone...

Wouldn't that defeat her only reason for existence on the show so far?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #2416
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, you can't show your tits to anyone...

Wouldn't that defeat her only reason for existence on the show so far?

Removing the tongue in cheek for a sec, consider that Bronn is going to be back in King's Landing or thereabouts, depending on how this trip and Jaime's support of him (or following through on his offer) works out. Of course, Jaime has other stuff to worry about at the moment.

So even putting aside the possible political machinations of Doran (and although everyone seems to dislike his representation so far, I believe we still have a lot of story and a lot of Doran and his angles on things coming), there is some other reason for her to make the trip, since they seemed to have a connection there.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #2417
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it is more likely that if she does get sent up there, it's to free Trystane, who will, no doubt, now be a hostage in King's Landing.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #2418
whomario
Pro Starter

Well, Doran did manage to get Trystane on the small council. Whatever that will be worth.

Also, how has no one in Dorne heard about what has been going on in Kings Landing ? Aside from his daughter dying on him, thats going to be one weird homecoming. "Hey, what have you done to your hair ?" (if he even makes it that far and is not immediately taken into a cell himself)

regarding the "good change, bad change" discussion: The Shows decision to change up the battle of Hardhome from some vague happening off screen into maybe the best half hour of TV of the year has not been mentioned, if i am not mistaken.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-16-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #2419
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Well, Doran did manage to get Trystane on the small council. Whatever that will be worth.

As ISiddiqui mentioned, this seems unlikely to happen now, given what happened to Myrcella.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #2420
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
regarding the "good change, bad change" discussion: The Shows decision to change up the battle of Hardhome from some vague happening off screen into maybe the best half hour of TV of the year has not been mentioned, if i am not mistaken.

I agree. I mentioned it last week or so during a similar type of discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So, I disagree with the notion that most of new stuff hasn't been good. A lot of it has worked or has been an improvement. Not all, but their batting average has been very solid.

For example, Jon Snow being in Hardhome during the attack, I consider that an improvement. We finally get to SEE why we should fear the walkers, rather than just being TOLD about it. Great tension-building moments: the giant, the Night's King, the Valyrian steel, "I fucking hate Thenns," the woman that gets eaten by kiddie wights...powerful stuff.

Given the just under 50 hours of television we've had to cover five massive books, I think what the show runners have done is nothing short of a remarkable achievement.

Things had to be changed. The structure of the books and the different media demanded/required it. The show has exceeded expectations in terms of translating this work onto the screen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #2421
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think the biggest thing the showrunners have had to do is work with Martin's slow writing schedule and the likelihood they will finish the story before he does.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-16-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #2422
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think the biggest thing the showrunners have had to do is work with Martin's slow writing schedule and the likelihood they will finish the story before he does.

That is a problem.

Also, we saw a lot more deviations from the books this season than seasons prior because this season covered pretty much all of Books 4 & 5. Books 1-3 were amazing. They were very tight. They had strong plots, characters, action, etc. Books 1-3 were pretty filmable as written. Not entirely by any stretch of the imagination - they are massive and the cast is insane - but the story is tight enough and the characters interact enough and are close enough geographically speaking and in terms of plots - that they could film most of it with subtractions and alterations, but not quite as many wholesale departures.

After Book 3, however, things started to meander and lose their way. There has been a lot of wandering, side plots - some of which are interesting and some of which are less so and don't seem to go anywhere (Quentyn Martel) - and the characters and action became more separated and disparate.

As a result, in order to keep things tighter and have plot lines that included more than one character at a time - combining Theon/Sansa/Brienne/Little Finger/Boltons, having Jamie go to Dorne - and they had to do somethings to keep viewers interested and cut back on (seemingly) extraneous characters.

I know many huge fans of the series who really hated books 4 and 5. They read them, but the books pissed them off. I enjoyed them - not as much as the first three - but I can see where people were annoyed with them.

So, it's not too surprising to see some of this annoyance bleed over into the show as it entered this territory.

If Book 6 isn't out before the next season... People will lose their shit!!

Still, it's a great show. It's super popular and deserves to be.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #2423
Easy Mac

What would be great is if Jon Snow really is dead, but the guesses people have made to his parentage are right. Maybe even the prophecies he's supposed to be involved in are right... but, the Night's Watch screwed it up.

Now he's dead, and the White Walkers take over Westeros. The humans lose. It ends up being a story about how all the people who maybe tried to do the right thing end up dead before they're given a chance.

I think that would be a much better ending than comic booking characters all the time by having them come back to life.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #2424
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
What would be great is if Jon Snow really is dead, but the guesses people have made to his parentage are right. Maybe even the prophecies he's supposed to be involved in are right... but, the Night's Watch screwed it up.

Now he's dead, and the White Walkers take over Westeros. The humans lose. It ends up being a story about how all the people who maybe tried to do the right thing end up dead before they're given a chance.

I think that would be a much better ending than comic booking characters all the time by having them come back to life.

That would be a terrible ending.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #2425
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The humans will lose...about half of Westeros. A new Wall will be built around the Neck, and all of the North will fall to the White Walkers. Cue another 8000 years of "peace". There are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Thrones.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-16-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #2426
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yes, this is horrible. This ending.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #2427
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Sounds like a George RR Martin ending, tbh.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #2428
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So if all that you are left to choose between at the end are the Boltons, the Freys or the White Walkers... who do you go with?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #2429
Kodos
Resident Alien

Go Walkers!

I know very little about him, but I wonder if Martin might not be content to just let the TV show finish the story and never finish the books.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #2430
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I know very little about him, but I wonder if Martin might not be content to just let the TV show finish the story and never finish the books.

You do know very little of him . Martin is more of the sort who may decide to change a substantial part of the story just to spite the TV show 'spoiling' things .
Old 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #2431
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Go Walkers!

I think if that were true, he wouldn't have okayed so many changes from his book in the show. I think he and the show producers worked on an alternate telling for the show once it became obvious he would not finish his books in time, in order for Martin to preserve the value of his original story and not compromise the work he had already done.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-16-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #2432
Kodos
Resident Alien

Fair enough. He looks old, and I can imagine the pressure of writing these books would be a heavy weight to bear going down the homestretch.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #2433
whomario
Pro Starter

Has this ever happened btw, that a TV show or movie series overtook its source material in such a way (book series still going with a, somewhat, finite number of volumes yet to be written, fairly close adaptation and not just a different version of the same serial, so to speak) ?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #2434
spleen1015
Coordinator

Not that I know of.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #2435
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
The humans will lose...about half of Westeros. A new Wall will be built around the Neck, and all of the North will fall to the White Walkers. Cue another 8000 years of "peace". There are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Thrones.

You think the Soprano's ending was unsatisfying ...

I like it but what would happen to Dany and the Boltons?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #2436
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Boltons become undead, as they are swallowed by the undead army. All of the North are basically considered 'wildlings' now (or at least will be in the future). Dany managed to turn them back and becomes Queen of half the kingdom.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-16-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #2437
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And then Stannis White Walker rises from the Dead and finishes taking the throne he was always fighting for .

(Ok, yes, I love Stannis, so?!! )
Old 06-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #2438
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Not that I know of.

Closest anyone came was Rowling (1st and 2nd movies between book 4 and 5, 7th book 9 days after the 5th movie)
Old 06-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #2439
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Some clarity on how long the show plans fo run would be great
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #2440
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Most of the actor Contracts are 6 years with an option for a 7th. HBO would have to pay through the nose for an 8th.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #2441
stevew
Hall Of Famer

NEveryone assumes it will be 7, but thought can probably go 8-9 if you just kill half of the top tier people(Harrington, Dinkladge, Jaime, Cercei) and a few of the second tier ones. Arya, Sansa, Theon, Brienne, Stannis, Davos, Red Woman, Grey Worm, Daario, khaleessi's interpreter, Ramsey, etc)

Or season 7, part 2.

Just would be great to have a definitive # for clarification.

Last edited by stevew : 06-16-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #2442
bronconick
College Starter

I think HBO wants it longer, but Benieff and Weiss have been aiming at 7 to keep their sanity (they're working 10-11 months a year in multiple countries)

So, I guess they could fire them and all the worthwhile actors and have it cancelled anyway as the ratings tumble.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #2443
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

The showrunners (David Benioff and Dan Weiss) have been saying that they intend to keep it to 7 seasons.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #2444
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't have a link but I am pretty sure they have maintained the series would go seven max. That goes back a bit, though.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #2445
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Looks like we're really on top of that one.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #2446
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The showrunners (David Benioff and Dan Weiss) have been saying that they intend to keep it to 7 seasons.

Indeed. And HBO and Martin want it to go 10.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #2447
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm always shocked when I hear about the amount of time it takes to film this show. I get there is probably a substantial amount of time to film set piece action stuff but so much of the show is people talking in rooms or in front of green screens.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #2448
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Indeed. And HBO and Martin want it to go 10.

Martin wanted them to do 3 seasons of ADWD to buy him time.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #2449
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He actually wanted a total of 3 seasons for AFFC and ADWD combined, which is fairly reasonable to me. If the show treated Dorne well and introduced the Iron Islands (which it seems they'll do next season), they could have at least done 2 seasons of the 2 books.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #2450
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's been brought up here before with particular individual incidents, and the last episode was a bit of a respite, but after re-watching a few recent episodes: this show really suffers from 'Rocky' disease when it comes to one-on-one combat. There's seemingly a dozen bad-ass warriors on the show, who come with some story of amazing skill and bravery that happened off-screen, yet when it comes time to actually fight the aforementioned bad-ass looks completely over-matched by any random foe, for 95% of the fight, only to win with some sort of lucky flourish or deus ex machina.

Similarly cliched relics of Hollywood groupthink seem to occasionally pop-up when the show is filling in the blanks, which gives me a little bit of trepidation about the show as it gets further and further away from the written material, and the writers are left to their own devices.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote