Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #751
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The weirdest one in my state is the Orofino Maniacs. Which would be a pretty awesome name - if it wasn't literally named after a state psychiatric hospital, which it is.

That is both horrible and awesome!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #752
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Trump in negotiations with Snyder to get Trump branding on the former Redskins.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #753
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Trump in negotiations with Snyder to get Trump branding on the former Redskins.

The Orangemen?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #754
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Orangemen?

HAHA!
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #755
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That is both horrible and awesome!

The mascot is on point - for better or worse

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2...29/maniacs.jpg

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2020 at 03:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #756
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Ok, who had Skydog as the Chief's GM...

4 years/$85M

Remember when the Chiefs has $177 in salary cap space after the draft...
Old 07-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #757
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Supposed to be some major shit hitting the fan about the Skins tomorrow. Sex parties. Culture. Etc.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #758
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Supposed to be some major shit hitting the fan about the Skins tomorrow. Sex parties. Culture. Etc.
I can't believe it'll live up to the hype, but man, to get the Redskins & Dan Snyder running while simultaneously having the name change be a huge story they could point to instead and take the heat off?

I've seen rumors of Snyder tied to Epstein, or the cheerleader stuff (but didn't we already have the expose about them pimping out their cheerleaders a few years ago?) Can't imagine it's racism related or someone would have leaked it on Twitter by now. We'll see, couldn't happen to a more deserving owner!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:08 AM   #759
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Man, if only there was a Cam Newton out there they could sign.

Maybe they'll check in on AB?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #760
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dan Snyder is on that list of guys that it would be hard for my opinion of him to go lower.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #761
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And the other Washington scandal drops:

Quote:
15 women accuse former Redskins employees of sexual harassment and verbal abuse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...l-alex-santos/

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #762
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Hmmmm. The level of hype & gossip did not quite match up the details in the article. Significant and awful stuff to be sure, but not much worse than the cheerleader stuff that was already out there.

That said, if the hype was bigger than the article, so was the response by the team...they fired all those people immediately AND initiated an internal culture audit to get ahead of it AND finally change the name AND partial owners are looking to sell their shares, because of sexual harassment allegations involving a broadcaster and head of scouting? Seems like there's plenty of room for conspiracy theories in there.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-16-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #763
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So a decent amount of NFL players are tweeting this morning with #WeWantToPlay and putting the onus on the League to make things safe.

Interestingly, these negotiations (i.e. how to handle COVID) present the rare instance where the players have leverage over the owners. Normally, the owners can bear the brunt of lost games more easily than the players, and that dictates every CBA. The person who can afford to walk away from the table always ends up winning the negotiation.

Now, though, the players already have their contracts for the season. So the owners kind of need football to happen to limit their losses. If there really is no football, then that will be felt in future caps. But, right now, a bunch of players are owed money that the NFL will not generate without a season.

I expect that there will be NFL football, but that it will end up being on terms much more favorable to the players than we are used to seeing.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #764
miami_fan
Coordinator

Time to cancel the NFL? Not seriously but it is 2020.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #765
miami_fan
Coordinator

So the new name is Washington FT?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #766
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Yes!

Dan Snyder has managed to out Dan Snyder himself this time.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #767
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

WashingtonTF?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-23-2020 at 11:33 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #768
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ok now the final name has to be put to a vote. Inter Washington, Washington City, or Washington United are the options.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #769
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

DCFC is the obvious choice, of course.

(though Detroit City FC may be put out a bit)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-23-2020 at 11:51 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #770
molson
General Manager

I thought they had a plan for all this.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #771
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Tells me there's a trademark issue to sort out. Or I guess if they're gonna do it, they need to cash in properly and there just wasn't enough time to do the rebrand and have all the new merch ready.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-23-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #772
RainMaker
General Manager

I love numbers on the helmets though.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #773
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks like old style college uniforms, which is fantastic. Keep it even with the new name!
Old 07-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #774
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Elimination of 2020 Pro Bowl pay likely means no 2020 Pro Bowl

Old 07-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #775
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Football is my favorite sport.

It is also the sport for which an all-star game makes the least sense.

Keep voting for All-Pro players, but no need to make them play a game.

The NFL should, instead, make the whole thing a skills challenge. I'm not tuning in to watch the Pro Bowl. But I'll watch Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Matt Stafford, etc. in a longest throw contest.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #776
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Basketball is my favorite sport

I like the way they dribble up and down the court
Old 07-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #777
thesloppy
Pro Starter

They're playing basketbaaaaaaaallll
Old 07-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #778
Atocep
Coordinator

New York Jets trade Jamal Adams to Seattle Seahawks, get two first-round picks
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #779
Thomkal
Head Coach

Seems like a steep price for someone who caused such conflict with ownership. Not happy to see him end up in the NFC West either
Old 07-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #780
QuikSand
lolzcat

Seattle just pisses away their firsts anyway, at least they get an anchor caliber player here, just like Percy Harvin. What could possibly go wrong?

I actually am fine with the deal.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #781
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It’s a good trade for the Seahawks. Their window is now
Old 07-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #782
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well if nothing else this trade makes it seem like the Seahawks are extremely confident there will be a season this year. Because if there isn't one, how does that affect the value of the trade?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-25-2020 at 07:28 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #783
bhlloy
Coordinator

The style Seattle wants to play revolves around having somebody like Earl Thomas and they got the closest thing to prime Thomas in the league right now. I can't hate the deal too much.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #784
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Seems like a steep price for someone who caused such conflict with ownership. Not happy to see him end up in the NFC West either

He will do well for the Seahawks and Petey. Hes wanted an extension and the jets messed around. Seattle is going to pay him.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #785
Atocep
Coordinator

The bears monopoly on shitty tight ends pays off as they send Shaheen to the dolphins for a conditional late round pick.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #786
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The style Seattle wants to play revolves around having somebody like Earl Thomas and they got the closest thing to prime Thomas in the league right now. I can't hate the deal too much.
Adams is (a better) Kam Chancellor, not a Thomas-type. (Closest thing to prime Thomas is still Thomas? Devin McCourty? Minkah Fitzpatrick? Anthony Harris? Trying to think of guys who are best in that single high safety role.)

An underrated part of the draft capital given up is how much uncertainty there will be in the next 2 drafts. If we even have a college season it won't be a full one, it won't include every team, so there won't be nearly as much tape on players & I think a 1st is worth less in comparison to a later draft pick than it usually would be. I don't know if the 2021 draft will be much less deep than usual with guys opting to go back to school instead of the mass exodus of underclassmen at big schools who have one good year as a starter & go, but it'll definitely be much less clear than usual.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #787
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

6 Patriots have already opted out (including Hightower, Chung, Cannon etcetera)

THe fact that folks making so much (Hightower was to make $8 million this season) are opting out so quickly is a sign that I don't think that we're going to have a season.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #788
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wish they would just postpone this season until February or something. Maybe by then they can run at half capacity and there will be a vaccine rolled out. No way 53+ guys will be able to stay covid free by then.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #789
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. It's seemed absurd for me from the start to even think that football could be safely played this fall. I love football as much as the next guy, but we should focus on bigger issues right now.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #790
molson
General Manager

I can't decide whether it's odd or comforting that the major pro leagues and players seem to be carrying on with an assumption that things will be back to normal next near - with long term contracts, etc. Nobody's really in a holding pattern, they're just trying to limp through the present or upcoming season and get to next year.

I'm hopeful things will be a lot better next year, but, when the best-case scenario is a vaccine that's 70-75% effective that maybe 2/3rds of of Americans will be willing to take, with distribution kind of a mystery, and maybe we all get access at some point in 2021 - it's hard to imagine next year's sports seasons won't have the same daily uncertainty, loss of revenue for lack of fans, lack of interest because nobody knows what's going to happen, etc.

Personally, I've been DVR'ing various sports since Taiwan baseball started, but I don't think I've watched a second of anything except UFC, which just feels different because of it's nature - it's an event-by-event thing rather than a season, with only 2 people competing at a time, and no COVID-depleted teams, so I can still get vested it. Whittaker v. Till and Gustafsson v. Werdum over the weekend had pretty much the same stakes and general competitive essence they would without COVID, whereas the team sports feel kind of like a desperate distraction. Like there's a team name, but the players on that team that day entirely depend on who's tested positive lately and who's made the personal COVID-related choice whether to play. It's not the same product, its not the same type of competition, it's more of a exhibition, like the randomness of replacement player games in a strike season. It can be fun to watch to pass the time I'm sure, if I ever get around to it, but it's hard to feel like it matters when you can't know if they're will be a playoffs or even games tomorrow, or who which players will be playing.

Last edited by molson : 07-28-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #791
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Have to laugh a bit about how much space Belichick takes rent-free in opponent's heads.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...39768044412928
Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #792
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yeah. It's seemed absurd for me from the start to even think that football could be safely played this fall. I love football as much as the next guy, but we should focus on bigger issues right now.

What's a bigger issue than football?
Old 07-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #793
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Have to laugh a bit about how much space Belichick takes rent-free in opponent's heads.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...39768044412928

It's good to be the King.

He should arrange to get a picture taken with him, Dr. Fauci, and Kanye all huddling together and looking conspiratorial and leak it to the media.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #794
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What's a bigger issue than football?

Just a short list.

COVID-19
Black Lives Matter
Unemployment crisis
Upcoming national elections
Attacks on the rule of law by the current administration
Privacy legislation
Infrastructure legislation
Immigration issues caused by the Trump administration

Football is entertainment. It's optional.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-28-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #795
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
6 Patriots have already opted out (including Hightower, Chung, Cannon etcetera)

THe fact that folks making so much (Hightower was to make $8 million this season) are opting out so quickly is a sign that I don't think that we're going to have a season.
Part of it is the price of having smarter, veteran players. Hightower is the huge loss so far - Ju'Whuan Bentley is the only returning LB (& I wonder if he'll be calling the signals or if they'll go the unusual route of having a Safety in McCourty do it.) Cannon is more about depth - he wasn't great at RT last season - and our Safety depth is ridiculous so Chung's loss is mitigated by Phillips & Dugger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I can't decide whether it's odd or comforting that the major pro leagues and players seem to be carrying on with an assumption that things will be back to normal next near - with long term contracts, etc. Nobody's really in a holding pattern, they're just trying to limp through the present or upcoming season and get to next year.

I'm hopeful things will be a lot better next year, but, when the best-case scenario is a vaccine that's 70-75% effective that maybe 2/3rds of of Americans will be willing to take, with distribution kind of a mystery, and maybe we all get access at some point in 2021 - it's hard to imagine next year's sports seasons won't have the same daily uncertainty, loss of revenue for lack of fans, lack of interest because nobody knows what's going to happen, etc.
A 75% effective vaccine that's taken by most people (and presumably sports leagues would be able to make almost all players take it) would put us a lot closer to herd immunity and make an outbreak unlikely instead of basically guaranteed. I also think your lack of interest is kind of a you thing - the ratings for sports have been high because people are desperate for some entertainment.

The craziest part to me isn't that pro/D1 CFB where there are millions of dollars at play are trying to push through, it's that we're still in the weird place where we freak out if anyone gets it, but we're sending kids back to school and letting them play football. (At least until there's an outbreak, then everyone will freak out and stop them for a couple weeks.) NCHSAA moves into Phase 2 of reopening plan on Aug. 3, will allow usage of some equipment

We've basically made the decision subconsciously that it's okay if kids and younger pro athletes get COVID, but coming up with a coherent plan that focuses on containing the spread from there to vulnerable parts of the population would require actually admitting that & people are afraid to do that.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:02 AM   #796
RendeR
Coordinator

Am I alone in believing the "opt-out" movement is just beginning and as more high profile players opt out more and more players will also and it will hit a "go/no go" breaking point before the season starts?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:21 AM   #797
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Am I alone in believing the "opt-out" movement is just beginning and as more high profile players opt out more and more players will also and it will hit a "go/no go" breaking point before the season starts?
Short of high profile QB's opting out I don't think it will matter. Some skill position guys might move the needle in the media, but even if say a Zeke Elliott opts out won't the natural reaction be to see if you can snag the new Cowboys starting RB for your fantasy team? Tuesday is the deadline - obviously players could pull back after then, but I think we'll pass that date & it'll be focused back on whether whoever's left can actually play enough games to have a real season before an outbreak occurs (and then on the actual football implications.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-29-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #798
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I just can't imagine how the hell the NFL is going to work looking at the MLB clusterfuck? The sports that have managed to pull it off so far (in the US) all seem to be using some version of a bubble model, and that doesn't even seem possible with the NFL.

Is anybody expecting a 'complete' NFL season at this point?

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #799
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I just can't imagine how the hell the NFL is going to work looking at the MLB clusterfuck? The sports that have managed to pull it off so far (in the US) all seem to be using some version of a bubble model, and that doesn't even seem possible with the NFL.

Is anybody expecting a 'complete' NFL season at this point?

A few months ago, I spent about 20 minutes trying to devise a scenario where the NFL took over, like, 3 Las Vegas mega resorts and tried the super bubble concept.

But I gave up when I realized how many weight rooms, training rooms, film rooms, practice fields, etc. you would need. Let alone enough fields to play the games (though I was working on the assumption that high school and college football would go away, so the NFL would be playing Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to maximize the use of fields).

It is just impossible to bubble the NFL.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #800
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, and I think they're keeping 90 man rosters through the whole season as opposed to the usual ~50. That seems like a good way to mitigate losing players to covid and also a good way to increase the risk of players getting covid. They're still just planning on shuffling 16 visiting teams of 90 dudes through airplanes & airports across the country every week, as usual?

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.