Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #1801
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Dola: that's not to suggest that MFP is "wrong," it just didn't work very well for me. I think some people do very well with it.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-03-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #1802
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
JULY GOALS ... Weigh 195 or less on morning of August 1st (Lose 8.5 pounds)

Okay, just randomly popped into the thread (clearing the "new" marker from it basically) and this caught my eye. Which prompts a question:

Maybe I'm just really influenced by meeting you many moons ago (and have no clue what you weighed then) and the few assorted pics that have been posted through the years but that 195 just sounds "light" for you. Not the weight vs past weights so much but rather it just sounds a bit light for I'd consider your general frame/body type.

My questions are based on that general idea.

1) Are you still at a weight where you're comfortable with your strength? And by that I don't mean what you lift, I'm talking more about how you generally feel. (During a couple of weight losses over the years, I clearly recall feeling like I ended up "too light" at times. And the difference was pretty slight, I generally felt better overall in the upper 160s than in the lower 160s or less)

2) What does the ol' traditional height / weight chart say you're supposed to be for weight? And while those have been replaced by more sophisticated indexes I gather, I'm wondering if you've kinda set any sort of floor for "that would just be too light"?

Congrats on the progress, you definitely seem to be going gangbusters.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #1803
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay, just randomly popped into the thread (clearing the "new" marker from it basically) and this caught my eye. Which prompts a question:

Maybe I'm just really influenced by meeting you many moons ago (and have no clue what you weighed then) and the few assorted pics that have been posted through the years but that 195 just sounds "light" for you. Not the weight vs past weights so much but rather it just sounds a bit light for I'd consider your general frame/body type.

My questions are based on that general idea.

1) Are you still at a weight where you're comfortable with your strength? And by that I don't mean what you lift, I'm talking more about how you generally feel. (During a couple of weight losses over the years, I clearly recall feeling like I ended up "too light" at times. And the difference was pretty slight, I generally felt better overall in the upper 160s than in the lower 160s or less)

2) What does the ol' traditional height / weight chart say you're supposed to be for weight? And while those have been replaced by more sophisticated indexes I gather, I'm wondering if you've kinda set any sort of floor for "that would just be too light"?

Congrats on the progress, you definitely seem to be going gangbusters.
I don't know why, but for years, consistently, people who are around me a lot and those who meet me once or twice virtually *always* over-estimate my height. I don't know if it's the "big personality" or the broad shoulders or something else, but whenever someone describes me physically, it's almost always "he's around 6'1" or 6'2"...." Assuming you internally overestimated it, then maybe you think I "should" weigh more? There was a health screening at work in mid-June and I was measured then: 5'10.5". The charts for a 5'10.5" male at age 44 all put me quite a bit lower in weight than the 190s:

Quote:
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 158.6 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 156.5 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 163.5 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 168.3 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 130.8 lbs - 176.7 lbs

That said, I have above average muscle mass and a broad upper body frame, and "the charts" don't account for that very well. I can definitely carry more body weight than most people my height without "looking fat." At around 203 right now, I don't have a noticeable belly pooch at all when I'm clothed, and my jawline is much "stronger" and defined. I don't think a stranger would look at me and say "he's in great shape," but I suspect they'd guess I'm younger than I am and am in decent shape.

I'm basing my goals on body fat first, not weight, then calculating estimated weight based on body fat and estimated lean mass. I'd love to get in the 12%-15% range for body fat, and most definitely want to be around 18% at worst. 18% would put my weight somewhere in the upper 180s/low 190s, but it really depends on how accurate the current estimations of body fat are, and how much muscle mass comes off with the rest of the fat I want to lose.

As far as "feeling strong," definitely no issues there. My easiest "real life" gauge for that is that Carter lately wants to be thrown in the air. Even as she grows and gains weight, it has gotten easier to do rather than harder.

I don't know what a "floor weight" might be, and I don't really have one in mind. Right now my intention is that somewhere in the 175-195 range (whenever I'm good with my body fat,) I will increase my caloric intake and work on gaining back some of the muscle weight I've lost.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #1804
saldana
Pro Starter

has anyone tried a CrossFit gym? a friend of mine opened one up and i joined a couple weeks ago...workouts have been incredible...literally leave me lying in a heap at the end, but never to the point that i am anywhere near hurting myself.

considering how poor my overall conditioning was/is, i have been pretty impressed with myself at some of the events i have done well in
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #1805
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know why, but for years, consistently, people who are around me a lot and those who meet me once or twice virtually *always* over-estimate my height.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I'm 5' 11.75" and I had you mentally assigned as "my height or better".

Quote:
Assuming you internally overestimated it, then maybe you think I "should" weigh more?

And there we have it.

Cool on the rest of it too, I was just genuinely curious.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #1806
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I'm 5' 11.75" and I had you mentally assigned as "my height or better".
Heh. No worries. At some point in the last four years (definitely after Carter was born, so we're talking after 11-15 years of marriage,) my *wife* thought I was taller than her father. She asked me to try to reach for a toy that she had put up high so Carter couldn't see it. I couldn't quite reach it and didn't feel like getting the stepladder out, and her parents were in town so I asked her dad to see if he could get it. She responded incredulously "how's dad going to reach it if you can't."

"Um, because he's like 3 inches taller than me?"

"Huh???? Dad isn't taller than you, is he???"

If this wasn't soooo consistent for years, I would have thought she was off her rocker, but by that point, even that didn't surprise me at all. *shurg*
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #1807
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Given that you are approximately the eleventy billionth person to ask me that question in the last couple of months or so , I've started a blog, and the first post I created in it attempts to answer that question:

From Fat To Fit At 44: "So, Ben, What Have You Been Doing???"

Good stuff Ben, really interested in the caloric ratio. I will need to look into that further. In my 30's and early 40's I was heavily into lifting, but have mostly just used Bowflex for strength training that last 7-8 years and started increasing my cardio (stationary bike/elliptical)

When I was lifting heavier 210-215 looked good on me since I had more mass than I do now. Now I go 205-210 and am a little softer looking around the middle so I am looking to get to the 195-200 range. I eat really good 6 days a week and have a 'splurge' day each weekend, but I am really going to focus on that basic metabolic rate +200 range to try and get the 10-15 pounds I want to lose off.

Thanks for sharing.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #1808
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
has anyone tried a CrossFit gym? a friend of mine opened one up and i joined a couple weeks ago...workouts have been incredible...literally leave me lying in a heap at the end, but never to the point that i am anywhere near hurting myself.

considering how poor my overall conditioning was/is, i have been pretty impressed with myself at some of the events i have done well in
I'd be interested in CrossFit, but due to time constraints, convenience trumps everything for me right now. The gym I belong to is lacking in some areas, (it doesn't have a power rack, for example,) but it gets my business because it is 1.1 miles from my front door. The nearest CrossFit gym is 20ish minutes away, possibly significantly longer when traffic is bad. Maybe when my girls are a little older...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #1809
Ben E Lou

For some reason I'm kinda sheepish about sharing this, but it's pretty cool. The folks who make my favorite strength training app did a feature on my weight loss story:

http://blog.gainfitness.com/2013/07/11/1223/
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #1810
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For some reason I'm kinda sheepish about sharing this, but it's pretty cool. The folks who make my favorite strength training app did a feature on my weight loss story:

http://blog.gainfitness.com/2013/07/11/1223/

Awesome! You should be proud! You've worked very hard, and it is always good to have others show recognition of that effort.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #1811
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Awesome! You should be proud! You've worked very hard, and it is always good to have others show recognition of that effort.
I have a lot of different feelings, I guess:
  • I shouldn't have let myself go that much in the first place.
  • I haven't really reached my goals.
  • I feel like the real work begins when I'm trying to maintain and not lose any more.
  • I'm completely *stunned* at the speed that the fitness has increased and the weight has fallen off. I'm 44. This isn't supposed to happen this fast. Maybe it's the fastidiousness about nutrition?
  • I feel bad for those who haven't experienced these kinds of results this fast. I don't want them to think I'm trying to one-up them. They should be proud and encouraged by the gains they've made.
  • I'm getting a lot of emails and texts from friends asking "how'd you do it? how can I get going? etc." And tons of people that I see when I go to the office, to church, and around the neighborhood are stopping me and asking for weight loss/fitness advice. It's a weird place to be in. I've been focused on this for barely 6 months. I'm a fairly smart guy who reads a lot, but I'm no guru. But at the same time, I think I do have a story to tell that could help others. I guess I'm used to giving advice over the course of my life, but it has always been based on significantly more experience than I have in all of this.
Ultimately, it's just a weird place to be. *shurg*

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-11-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #1812
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I responded in-quote (in red) to my thoughts on your various feelings.

Quote:
I have a lot of different feelings, I guess:
  • I shouldn't have let myself go that much in the first place. - I was in the same boat. None of us can undo the past, but the hardest part of this process was the initial realization that you wanted to change and then taking the action to do so.
  • I haven't really reached my goals. - What is the old saying? If you aren't improving then you are getting worse? I am not sure that a new lifestyle is ever something that you can see a finish line and say I'm there and be done with it. For me, each time I do reach a small or immediate goal, I have new ones to replace them. At some point we'll hopefully all get to the weight we want, but then those goals will be replaced with new ones hopefully.
  • I feel like the real work begins when I'm trying to maintain and not lose any more.
  • I'm completely *stunned* at the speed that the fitness has increased and the weight has fallen off. I'm 44. This isn't supposed to happen this fast. Maybe it's the fastidiousness about nutrition? - I have seen when people are truly dedicated to it, they can make amazing changes in their fitness or overall health. Generally it doesn't happen that fast, but your improvements is just a reconfirmation of how much hard work and determination that you have put in to this. I guess my only concern is that you want to make sure that you aren't doing anything that puts you at high risk of injury, but you seem to be pretty responsible in your planning.
  • I feel bad for those who haven't experienced these kinds of results this fast. I don't want them to think I'm trying to one-up them. They should be proud and encouraged by the gains they've made. - The one great thing that I have come to find is that the process of weight loss or fitness shouldn't ever be a competition between yourself and others. It is simply a competition between you and your own body. Unless you are on some game show that fosters that competition, I have found the entire environment to be so very supportive of me. I can only speak for myself here, but I love seeing your journey as you go, the same way that I enjoy seeing others on here starting their weight loss attempts, or starting couch to 5k or whatever they are doing. I don't feel that I am in a competition with any of you, I just am constantly in a competition with myself to stick to a good healthy diet, or stick to my running plan or improve my own self. I love seeing other people comment both good and bad about their struggles or triumphs.
  • I'm getting a lot of emails and texts from friends asking "how'd you do it? how can I get going? etc." And tons of people that I see when I go to the office, to church, and around the neighborhood are stopping me and asking for weight loss/fitness advice. It's a weird place to be in. I've been focused on this for barely 6 months. I'm a fairly smart guy who reads a lot, but I'm no guru. But at the same time, I think I do have a story to tell that could help others. I guess I'm used to giving advice over the course of my life, but it has always been based on significantly more experience than I have in all of this. - You probably are in the same place I am. I don't feel I am an expert either. I just tell people what I have done. Stories like yours helps others that find themselves in a similar place gain motivation to know that it is not hopeless or that they can change if they want. That is a big boost for them.
Ultimately, it's just a weird place to be. *shurg*

Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #1813
Kodos
Resident Alien

You are an inspiration. I've been struggling a bit lately with my program. Seeing you do so well so consistently is helping me push through the doldrums.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #1814
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I kinda want to go back and read some of my posts from earlier in this thread and relieve those times.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #1815
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Well that made for a productive afternoon

How's everyone doing in here?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #1816
Ben E Lou

Fun day today...

Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #1817
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #1818
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fun day today...

Woo!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #1819
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sunday I weighed in at 188 after my long run for the first time seeing the scale below 190, but I don't count my post workout weights in my official total due to water weight loss.

This morning my "official" weight was 193.x which makes another 10 pounds down for a total of 70 all time and 40 since the start of this year.

I am keeping up my slow and steady approach while focusing more on running than weight loss. I set my next goal of 10 more pounds by the end of the year which would also put me in the normal BMI category as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #1820
finketr
College Prospect

rock on, folks.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #1821
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fun day today...

I think that (or in some cases another similar #) is the happiest day for a lot of us guys in this thread.

Congrats!!!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-18-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #1822
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Sunday I weighed in at 188 after my long run for the first time seeing the scale below 190, but I don't count my post workout weights in my official total due to water weight loss.

This morning my "official" weight was 193.x which makes another 10 pounds down for a total of 70 all time and 40 since the start of this year.

I am keeping up my slow and steady approach while focusing more on running than weight loss. I set my next goal of 10 more pounds by the end of the year which would also put me in the normal BMI category as well.
I actually think I might be losing a little too quickly, and am concerned about lean mass loss. I'd told myself that I'd up the calories when I hit 195. Well, it appears that's going to be this weekend. I was 195.8 pre-run this morning. (My goal was to hit 195 by 8/1, so well ahead of that.) I worked out the math two different ways:

1. The general recommendation not to lose more than 1% of body weight per week. Going on that would put me at roughly 2625 calories based on my actual weight loss for the past month-ish.

2. My LoseIt 1.5 pounds per week budget + my average exercise calories per day for the last four weeks. That puts me at 2743.

Given that both put me in the same general ballpark, I'm going with it. I set LoseIt to "Lose 1.5 pounds Per Week" and am going with a +800 daily adjustment for exercise. (Actual has been 899 per day, but I'm thinking that will come down as I continue to lose weight.) So, for today's weight, that puts me at a 2664 calorie per day budget, which pretty much splits the difference between the two measures. I'll stay at around 2,000 calories through Sunday evening, then ramp it up started on Monday. I just pre-planned a day that doesn't quite get to 2664, and man, that seems like a lot of food. But based on the numbers, it seems right.

1.5 per week also passes my "sniff test" of getting me around 175-180 for the HM in October.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #1823
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually think I might be losing a little too quickly, and am concerned about lean mass loss. I'd told myself that I'd up the calories when I hit 195. Well, it appears that's going to be this weekend. I was 195.8 pre-run this morning. (My goal was to hit 195 by 8/1, so well ahead of that.) I worked out the math two different ways:

Once I got to 210 pounds, I actually decided to start upping my calories. I found for the amount of cardiovascular activities I wanted to do (run, bike, swim, kayak, etc) I was just not fueling myself enough. I think I have mine set to lose 1/2 a pound a week, which is a very conservative amount.

To be honest though, I've not been worrying as much about calories lately though, I've started trying to look more at what percentages of my calories are various types of food.

Unfortunately, that means cutting out more of the foods that I just love and can't get enough of (pastries / white breads, etc) and start eating more of the foods that I just simply tolerate but don't really enjoy (various vegetables, wheat pasta, etc).

You do alot of strength exercises compared to me, so I have no idea what is recommended for those type of workouts, but for my course I'm trying to actually eat more carbs (but better carbs), keep my protein about where it is at, and really try to reduce more the amount of fat I eat. I think I'm somewhere around 50/30/20 right now.. want to get carbs actually up to 60% before I start having my planned 45+ mile weeks that are coming.

It is a challenge though when I'm constantly trying to find ways to eat the better foods in a way that I actually enjoy them.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #1824
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Unfortunately, that means cutting out more of the foods that I just love and can't get enough of (pastries / white breads, etc) and start eating more of the foods that I just simply tolerate but don't really enjoy (various vegetables, wheat pasta, etc).
Yeah, I'm fortunate in that I....

1. *REALLY* like most of the stuff I'm eating.
2. Own a smoker and two grills so I can cook a buttload of food at one time for the upcoming week.
3. Don't mind eating from a relatively small list of 5 or 6 meats and 5 or 6 sides as long as I like them all.

I'd say I'm eating 95-100% "clean" most weeks. I had some bacon on Monday, the day after I ran the 13.1 (and even that was the Whole Foods no-nitrate version..and I baked it.) Before that, the last "non-healthy" food I ate would be the KFC chicken strips I had on the way back from the mountains on June 23rd. Yowza!

Quote:
You do alot of strength exercises compared to me, so I have no idea what is recommended for those type of workouts
Mainly more protein. The carb recommendations for strength training and running are around the same. With the calorie increase all around, the carbs will come up enough for me, I think.

Quote:
It is a challenge though when I'm constantly trying to find ways to eat the better foods in a way that I actually enjoy them.
I ran across an absurdly easy, tasty, filling, and healthy shrimp/broccoli/olive oil/coriander/cumin recipe that I changed up a bit and made last night. When I have time to blog again (probably this weekend) I'm going to post the recipe for it and start including recipes as entries. A *pound* of this stuff (and the version I made is equal parts shrimp and broccoli, at least pre-cooked) is only 491 calories, has 59g protein, 9g fiber, and only 2.3g saturated fat (19g fat overall).
Old 07-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #1825
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I ran across an absurdly easy, tasty, filling, and healthy shrimp/broccoli/olive oil/coriander/cumin recipe that I changed up a bit and made last night. When I have time to blog again (probably this weekend) I'm going to post the recipe for it and start including recipes as entries. A *pound* of this stuff (and the version I made is equal parts shrimp and broccoli, at least pre-cooked) is only 491 calories, has 59g protein, 9g fiber, and only 2.3g saturated fat (19g fat overall).

Sounds delicious - make sure you post a link when you put the recipe up on your blog!!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #1826
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Sounds delicious - make sure you post a link when you put the recipe up on your blog!!
From Fat To Fit At 44: Recipe: Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli with Cumin and Coriander
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #1827
heybrad
Norm!!!

Another month gone by and I continue with my slow and steady results.
Starting weight on 4/24: 285
4/29: 283.4
5/7: 283
5/13: 282
6/16: 275
7/21: 268
Total: 17lbs

I've continued to meet my Gympact every week. Also, I've started using Runkeeper more. Once summer hit it's been tougher to get to the gym early in the morning since I'm not taking my kids to class. I want to fix that as I want to continue strength training.

I just wanted to add how grateful I am for everybody on this site and their example. I know I'm a bit of a part timer around here but I do follow the various weight loss and fitness threads. You guys have introduced me to new apps and kept me motivated. I just read about Fit League today and I went ahead and signed up. Based on my July activity I'm #2 in the Copper League. I can honestly say that following all of you on this site has played a vital role in keeping me going. My coolest reward to this point is that I'm down a shirt size. I've always worn XXL and I'm now fitting into multiple XL t-shirts that have been stashed away for quite a while.

Last edited by heybrad : 07-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #1828
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great job heybrad! Keep up the good work!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #1829
Ben E Lou

Good progress, Brad!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #1830
Radii
Head Coach

I made this tonight, pretty darn good!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #1831
Ben E Lou

Begin August Update:

1/7: 274.0
2/1: 265.0 (-9, -9)
3/1: 256.0 (-9, -18)
4/1: 243.0 (-13, -31)
5/1: 229.7 (-13.3, -44.3)
6/1: 217.5 (-12.2, -56.5)
7/1: 203.5 (-14.0, -70.5)
8/1: 193.0 (-10.5, -81.0)

Quote:
JULY GOALS/ACTUALS
--120 miles running total/147.2
--Complete a 13.1 mile run/Longest run for month: 13.15
--15 Strength Training sessions/15 exactly
--10 sessions of at least 2 ab exercises/11
--Weigh 195 or less on morning of August 1st (Lose 8.5 pounds)/193.0

Happy with the month. Will post August goals later today probably.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-01-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #1832
Radii
Head Coach

Awesome job, Ben!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #1833
Radii
Head Coach

7/1/11: 350
1/28/12: 329
7/18/12: 320.8
8/4/12: 318.2
9/11/12: 312.5
6/6/13: 299.0
7/1/13: 296.6
8/1/13: 294.8

Same story as last month, I did lose a little weight despite feeling like a total slob, so there's that.

I am having a really hard time fighting off laziness and bad habits. I am still eating fast food way too often, usually because of laziness or poor planning... "oh I'm out of the house for 90 minutes to run a couple errands, I'm not even really hungry and I'm only 10 minutes from home, but fuck it I don't want to make any food when I get home, I'll just go by Chik Fil A" ... and then I find that happening 3 or 4 times a week. So my #1 goal is to get a handle on that.

I bought a slow cooker earlier in the week, I've had a few occasions where I've made a couple large things so there would be leftovers for multiple days, I'm trying to make that more of a habit.

August goals:

-- only eat out once a week
-- lift weights twice a week
-- jog every other day

foot issues kept me from jogging much in July, but I appear to be past those (knock on wood). I won't have trouble getting back into that habit, as I enjoy it. The other two are habits I *really* want to build up but struggle with.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #1834
Ben E Lou

Getting a handle on eating at Chick-Fil-A was tough for me too, Radii. Hardest thing to put aside for now.

My August goals are up at the blog: From Fat To Fit At 44: August Goals (And July Goal Check-In)

But in short...
--Run 135 miles total.
--15 strength training sessions.
--Reduce waist to 35" and/or weight to 185 or less by 8/1.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #1835
hoopsguy
General Manager

First of the month seems like a good time to post here for first time in awhile.

I had a devil of a time getting my weight down under 175 (excluding post-run weigh ins) over the last couple of months, despite really picking up my running and trying to have at least some discipline around eating. But I finally cracked that barrier on Tuesday and have stayed under since that time. Hoping to keep moving lower and maintain my running discipline. Hopefully buying new shoes today helps spur me on ...

8/1 Weight: 173.5
9/1 Goal Weight: 170
July Running Total: 103 km
August Running Total: 90 km (weekends are hell this month, last two weeks have been rough for mid-week)
Random goals: no Chipotle for month, (re)kick caffeine habit by end of month, run 8K this weekend under 45 minutes, run 10K this month under 57 minutes.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #1836
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hit the 8K goal this weekend, time came in under 44 minutes.
However, the weight goal isn't off to a great start as my weight jumped up over 175 after some less-than-great eating at a wedding on Saturday evening.
One step forward, one step back.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #1837
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My scale is conspiring against me. It's clearly broken.

Actually I think it's been that I've shifted my workouts to the end of the day - I need to move them back to mid-day, but I've been putting on a few pounds and I'm not at all happy about it.

Un-fucking-acceptable.

Diet hasn't changed, exercise hasn't changed (except the time of day) and yet I've "tripped the kill switch." So I'm going to have to get intense here for a couple weeks to get myself back down to 180.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #1838
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Take that body...I win.

-1lb
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #1839
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Cross posted from my running dynasty.. Almost to 75 pounds loss, need just 2 tenths of a pound more, also almost to "Normal" on the BMI chart.

I expect some celebrating coming this month at some point for both of those milestones!

Quote:

From the weight perspective, everything is still going well.. maybe too well actually. I stalled out just slightly during my anniversary trip with the wife in early July for a few days, but once that was over I was back on track for trying to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week. With serious running training, I really did not want to lose more than that as I did not want to effect the quality of my work outs, and I felt that was a good goal. With my additional running and biking though, I'm still burning through calories too fast and losing weight faster than I really wanted to.

At my current pace, weightgrapher suggests that I'll reach my "goal weight" of 184 pounds by the end of this month. I targeted that weight as it would officially put me in the "Normal" weight category of the BMI chart.

I'm actually only .2 of a pound away from a total of 75 pounds loss though, and am very proud of that. I'll be happy in the low 180s.. I'm happy right now in the high 180s.. I think the next challenge for me once I get below 184 is to figure out where exactly I want to set maintenance weight at and more importantly how to do that.. Something that I have not had to worry about for a long time is making sure that I am eating enough!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #1840
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great job, Alan. I just nudged under 200 today. 199.0!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #1841
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I am creeping back upwards as a result of some Subby-esque rationalizations about snacking in the afternoon, eating too much at dinner, and then engaging in what might politely be described as multiple desserts. No more! I'm back in the thread. Alas. Good work being done by a lot of folks in here.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #1842
Ben E Lou

Under 190 this morning...

...but probably gonna creep back above it for tomorrow morning due to cooking pulled pork and ribs for an event today. No worries. Planning to run 13.1 or so in the morning, so I'm guessing it'll be something like 188.9-191.5-190.0-189.0 over the next few days. I'm "officially" moving the needle to a goal of 175 for the HM race on 10/20.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #1843
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So it was definitely partially due to my scale running low on battery. Haven't changed anything else (aside from workouts back in mid-day when possible). Only 5 days of workout last week (instead of 6) and still down to 182.6 this morning. Need to clamp down and get back to like 180 as my "tripwire line" but I'm not upset with 182 at all.

Been a bit dehydrated, so upping my water consumption too, which will help I'm sure.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #1844
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Cross posted from my facebook:

Earned my 75 pound lost badge on LoseIt! Weighed in at 187 yesterday and 187.1 today. Only 3 more pounds to go until I'm officially out of the "overweight" category.

Last edited by Alan T : 08-23-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #1845
Ben E Lou

Congrats, Alan!!!

Under 190 for 10 consecutive days now. Down in the mid-180s right now. I just wanted to mention that I'm particularly proud of my meal plan for today. Greek yogurt, berries, chia seeds, granola, and grapefruit for breakfast. Grilled chicken breast and grilled veggies for lunch. Lean pork tenderloin and broccoli for dinner. Overall 2017 calories total, 177 protein, 43 fiber, only 59 sugars and 21 saturated fat, with this 477-calorie indulgent snack included:

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-23-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #1846
Ben E Lou

Dola:

It's funny. Even after nearly 8 months of doing it, I still find working out a meal plan to be one of the most interesting aspects of this process, for some of the same "resource management" reasons I enjoy text-simming. This morning I was actively working on "how can I eat as much dark chocolate and walnut snack as possible while still staying under my calorie budget, hitting at least 175g protein and 35g fiber, while staying under 25g saturated fat and 60g sugars.

(FWIW, those are my daily goals these days, and probably will remain so for a long time.)
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #1847
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
8/1 Weight: 173.5
9/1 Goal Weight: 170
July Running Total: 103 km
August Running Total: 90 km (weekends are hell this month, last two weeks have been rough for mid-week)
Random goals: no Chipotle for month, (re)kick caffeine habit by end of month, run 8K this weekend under 45 minutes, run 10K this month under 57 minutes.

Not a great month overall - will have final weight goal tomorrow. But the running and random goals are essentially in the books.
- August Running Total: 55 km. Working from home almost completely ended this month, had issues with my training watch for 2nd time (now have completely new one), and realistically need to adjust goals to reflect changing schedule. I will do better than 55km next month, but 90 km is likely upper end of realistic.
- Chipotle: had it once earlier in month. Small fail.
- Caffeine: no progress. Complete fail.
- 8k under 45: mission accomplished
10k under 57: grrr, thought I had set 58 as the goal. Went out to accomplish that this afternoon and hit 57:52. So another fail, on a goal I thought I had hit.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #1848
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Begin August Update:

1/7: 274.0
2/1: 265.0 (-9, -9)
3/1: 256.0 (-9, -18)
4/1: 243.0 (-13, -31)
5/1: 229.7 (-13.3, -44.3)
6/1: 217.5 (-12.2, -56.5)
7/1: 203.5 (-14.0, -70.5)
8/1: 193.0 (-10.5, -81.0)
184.4 on September 1st.

Pic taken this morn.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #1849
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Holy shit, that's amazing!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #1850
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Holy shit, that's amazing!
Thanks. I want to drop another 2-3 inches around the waist and then focus on adding a little more muscle mass. The rest of the waistline reduction should come pretty naturally with HM training extending into December now. If you missed it in the running thread, I have a hernia and will have surgery this week, which means I won't be running a HM until mid-December, which means that as long as I'm able to get back to running 35-45 miles a week, it would be fairly difficult not to lose more around the waist.