Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #201
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm playing on normal and don't feel like it is as hard has the original was.

I think Classic is supposed to match the difficulty of the original.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-11-2012 at 11:59 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #202
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I think Classic is supposed to match the difficulty of the original.

Yes.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #203
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Sigh....I have this useless hardcover picture book with my game. Why the hell coudn' t they put in a , oh, I don't know, 30 page manual instead of this useless fishwrap?

While in the game, hit ESC and choose XCOM Database. It has been helpful to me a couple of times.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #204
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ye Gods ! I got proofed ! Proofed for a fucking video game. What ? The gray hair and the bald spot didn't give my old ass away? Seriously? Douche nuggets....I nearly left the game there but figured i'd have to deal with sub morons wherever I went to buy this game......

Yeah, but did the young whipper snapper say "Thank You Sir" when you left? It used to annoy me when they called me sir. Now I just get annoyed when I receive the senior discount at fast food joints.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 10-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #205
Kodos
Resident Alien

Tempted. This game looks pretty fun.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #206
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I lost my best soldier, a sniper that had been active since the first mission. It was one of those, well she is out of cover from that angle but I've got four guys who can cover her. So rather than play it safe and ducking herself into cover, she dropped the floater who would have had a rookie dead to rights. Then the rookie she saved and two others missed overwatch shots on the next floater that dropped the already lightly wounded sniper.

So now I've got a Blue team and a Red team. Due to injuries and the untimely sniper KIA, each team consists of two regulars and three rookies.

All of my rookies are dressed like Storm Troopers in all white. I'm not even going to look at their faces, let alone try to remember their names until they make squaddie.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #207
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Yeah, but did the young whipper snapper say "Thank You Sir" when you left? It used to annoy me when they called me sir. Now I just get annoyed when I receive the senior discount at fast food joints.

Yes she did. The little prissy drone..I think the growl she received in return discombobulated her.....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #208
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Don't worry, they've hung your newspaper article up next to the register so they don't make that mistake again

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #209
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Things are looking up. I have finally found the wonders of Titan Armor and I am currently working on rolling it out to my front line troops. I have rolled out all Plasma weapons except for the Plasma Sniper Rifle which I just haven't been able to afford to build yet. My squad is capable of an insane amount of damage output.

I've only lost funding from two counties at this point(Egypt and India). I also have satellite coverage on every continent with multiple satellites covering Europe and Asia. I like my odds so far.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #210
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Steam is currently downloading a big update for XCOM:EU. That was a rather quick patch.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #211
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Bought the game last night - having fun with it (only have about two hours into it) but I do have a questions. Once you lose a country funding can you get them back on the payroll?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #212
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....oh damn...still not installed? Nope..it's installed. I'm at 19% on the patch at 2.5 gb....maybe by tomorrow...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #213
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....oh damn...still not installed? Nope..it's installed. I'm at 19% on the patch at 2.5 gb....maybe by tomorrow...

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #214
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Bought the game last night - having fun with it (only have about two hours into it) but I do have a questions. Once you lose a country funding can you get them back on the payroll?

nope, theyre gone for good.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #215
Izulde
Head Coach

Well that sucks, considering I lost two countries during my marathon session last night. Had all my soldiers wiped out in a horrible mission which left me with a squaddie and a bunch of rookies. Slowly built it up to a Captain, a couple sarges and some squaddies, but had two support Captains and lost one.

I'm likely playing out the string until the end of the world but it's been fun nonetheless.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #216
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Tempted. This game looks pretty fun.

I can see why approaching an alien invasion from the other side would be novel and entertaining for you.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #217
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I can see why approaching an alien invasion from the other side would be novel and entertaining for you.

/thread.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #218
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post

Gold

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #219
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hey! I was one of the heroes in GB's X-Com dynasty! I shall remain allied with my Earth comrades until the time when it benefits me more to defect!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #220
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I like the Hyperwave Relay because it can tell you what to expect on the mission, but sometimes I don't want to go on that mission. Just a little scary.

Big image inside.
Spoiler
Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #221
spleen1015
Coordinator

Question....

Downed UFO, can I walk through the shields?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #222
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Yes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #223
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I like the Hyperwave Relay because it can tell you what to expect on the mission, but sometimes I don't want to go on that mission. Just a little scary.

Big image inside.
Spoiler

now thats scary. i just got the ability to make that device

another question. when some country panics and leaves the "justice league", can you do anything to bring them back?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #224
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nope, and if eight countries leave, you lose.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #225
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I've been futzing around on easy to get the hang of the game since I hate tutorial missions..Went thru a few missions and hate one major part of it. The cut scenes.. Mind you they are good but they make me think this is a railgame. I know its not but it reminds me of it. And I hate railers.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #226
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

XCOM Y U HAVE 2 GIG DOWNLOAD ON RELEASE DAY FOR WORLD!? WAS 12 GIG DOWNLOAD NOT FUCKING INSANE ENOUGH!?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #227
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Dammit...I really feel i'm on a railer.....The original,TFTD and apoc I played multiple times...I'm not sure about this.......

The other thing I hate. It always gives me a choice of three missions. No variance. Just three. On the same day. What? It was impossible to do what the original did? And how do I send out more than 1 interceptor at a target? I have three. Sigh...well at least i'll play this longer than Diablo III
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #228
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Goofed around with the game for awhile. Definitely a strong start. Given what the company did with Civ V on their expansions, I'm hopeful that some of these early critiques will be ironed out in patches or expansions. Either way, it's a very difficult game to learn to play, but I'm having a lot of fun getting my ass kicked.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #229
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You can call the first Interceptor back and send a second one.

The three missions is because no matter how well you do, there's supposed to be a managing the panic level feeling.l You can slowly delay it (by putting up sattelites), but that's to make sure you feel the creeping doom as the panic meters slowly go up.. prods you down the storyline path..

Spoiler

But it's to set a balance where you can't just wait till everything's perfect before moving to a storyline mission.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #230
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Okay - I really really suck at this game. I can't keep anybody alive

Can anybody give me suggestions on cover? My guys are getting hit even though they have hidden cover vs the aliens. I could be behind a large tree or brick wall and I still get hit.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #231
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
You can call the first Interceptor back and send a second one.

The three missions is because no matter how well you do, there's supposed to be a managing the panic level feeling.l You can slowly delay it (by putting up sattelites), but that's to make sure you feel the creeping doom as the panic meters slowly go up.. prods you down the storyline path..

Spoiler

But it's to set a balance where you can't just wait till everything's perfect before moving to a storyline mission.

So pretty much its a glorified railer dressed up as a turn based tactical game. Why have a storyline that holds your hand to a point? Are gamers these days so inept at creating their own mental stories in a game that they need assistance?.....

And why not 2 missions? Why not 4? 5? Always 3.....Feels a bit forced. Sameness.

Still, why not allow multiple interceptors?What's the issue?

Can't carry too much equipment....One smoke grenade? really? And hmm..I can take a scope for my weapon or a medikit..or a grenade but not 2 of them? Or I can take the cheap armor but leave my tiny smoke grenade at home.....

Maps feel "constricting"

But other than that its pretty impressive and immersive but it's not as much fun as the original.'' But I am getting close to that "ok, 50 bucks spent on a game...worth it" moment. And thats rare these days......

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 10-12-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #232
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Okay - I really really suck at this game. I can't keep anybody alive

Can anybody give me suggestions on cover? My guys are getting hit even though they have hidden cover vs the aliens. I could be behind a large tree or brick wall and I still get hit.

Are you using Hunker Down? Instead of moving twice, move once that gets you to good cover, then use the Hunker Down ability. It doubles your defense when you do it.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #233
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Ahhhh - that must be it. I will try this tonight... TY

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 10-12-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #234
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Don't use hunker down unless you are in a firefight or something. Use over watch always, unless you are shooting. Overwatch shoots enemy's that move. Never or very rarely move twice in a turn. Move to blue and use overwatch until you make contact. You aren't timed and this isn't a race. When you make contact flank and kill.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #235
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Quote:
And why not 2 missions? Why not 4? 5? Always 3.....Feels a bit forced. Sameness.

I have had 1 mission, and 2 mission options later on. Maybe that is because the country that would have been 2 and 3 in those instances had already left the Council, but I have gotten those options. It is a bit forced, but after the base infiltration mission, I haven't really noticed threat levels or anything. It then shifts to building your equipment and research up.

Quote:
Still, why not allow multiple interceptors?What's the issue?

Dunno, I think the whole interceptor mini-game needs some attention. I haven't lost an interceptor yet.

Quote:
Can't carry too much equipment....One smoke grenade? really? And hmm..I can take a scope for my weapon or a medikit..or a grenade but not 2 of them? Or I can take the cheap armor but leave my tiny smoke grenade at home.....

As your troops level up they will get perks to carry multiple medkits, grenades, rockets. I almost always take the three medkit perk for my support guys. In the original you were limited to what each soldier could carry by weight. I'm kinda glad I don't have that to fiddle with now.

Quote:
Maps feel "constricting"

A few are like that. Especially the freeway bridge one, but there are some really large maps too.

I just shot down a battleship and it was so large that there was no walking the woods to get to it. I just landed on the rear deck. I enjoyed the multiple height vantage points for my snipers.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #236
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
I have had 1 mission, and 2 mission options later on. Maybe that is because the country that would have been 2 and 3 in those instances had already left the Council, but I have gotten those options. It is a bit forced, but after the base infiltration mission, I haven't really noticed threat levels or anything. It then shifts to building your equipment and research up.

Dunno, I think the whole interceptor mini-game needs some attention. I haven't lost an interceptor yet.

As your troops level up they will get perks to carry multiple medkits, grenades, rockets. I almost always take the three medkit perk for my support guys. In the original you were limited to what each soldier could carry by weight. I'm kinda glad I don't have that to fiddle with now.

A few are like that. Especially the freeway bridge one, but there are some really large maps too.

I just shot down a battleship and it was so large that there was no walking the woods to get to it. I just landed on the rear deck. I enjoyed the multiple height vantage points for my snipers.

Ahhh. Maybe i'm not too far into it then..Good to know the maps don't end up staying the same size. Had my first terror mission to Toronto. What fun...Snipers rule..... I still feel shafted not being able to carry more gear. Especially grenades.....

Can you build more bases later on ?Don't see that option anywhere.

Game does need polishing.

I actually loaded up TFTD and had a bit of fun with it in the last hour.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #237
Lonnie
High School Varsity

You cannot build additional bases. If you have a satellite in the country you can send interceptors there. So it's kinda like having listening bases in the original with radar, defense, and interceptors.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #238
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ahhh. Maybe i'm not too far into it then..Good to know the maps don't end up staying the same size. Had my first terror mission to Toronto. What fun...Snipers rule..... I still feel shafted not being able to carry more gear. Especially grenades.....

Can you build more bases later on ?Don't see that option anywhere.

Game does need polishing.

I actually loaded up TFTD and had a bit of fun with it in the last hour.

The idea is satellite coverage rather than bases. You get one base but you can put up satellites for radar coverage in other areas.

You also station interceptors in the different continents for ability to shoot down detected UFOs in that region.

Your Skyranger is able to cover the entire globe and respond with troops everywhere.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #239
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Ohmygodthisgameislikecrackiwouldpostmorebutstillhaveonemoreturntotakeitssoawesome!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #240
Lonnie
High School Varsity

May have encountered a bug that's limiting my progress. I have the Psi labs, but I can only test 2 soldiers at a time. When I add the third it overwrites the second and leaves the third slot empty. Need to go check if anyone else encountered it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #241
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
May have encountered a bug that's limiting my progress. I have the Psi labs, but I can only test 2 soldiers at a time. When I add the third it overwrites the second and leaves the third slot empty. Need to go check if anyone else encountered it.

I'm batting 100% on Psi ability tests. Small sample size, but hardly seems like your progress will be limited.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #242
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I loaded it without the 360 controller and was able to queue three up for testing.

First round I could actually load three soldiers and got 1 gifted.
Second round I could only get two soldiers loaded, both Not gifted.

So 20 days, 1 soldier out of 5 gives me a 20% return. Means I have to spin the wheel a lot more and do a lot more missions before I get enough Psi guys to move on to the end game.

So now third round with keyboard mouse I was able to get three loaded. We'll see.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #243
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Had my first crash to desktop at the start of a mission. I've seen it mentioned quite a bit on forums, so hopefully they get it worked out in a patch.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #244
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

So far no crashes...old drivers for pretty much everything....
Old 10-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #245
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I had 1 where I accidentally open the Steam overlay and it crashed when I tried to close it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #246
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

So, I'm still in my first game. Normal/Ironman. I've already lost like 20+ soldiers. 6 countries have pulled out... And I just hve thisfreling I might make it to the end.

Plasma weapons, Titan Armor, and Psy ops have me on par with those alien bastards, but Sectopods still are fucking insane. Seriously. Fuck Sectopods. 2 attacks per turn, and automatic overwatch. What the fuck.

I just downed my first Battleship, and am slowly taking my time through it.

Awesome awesome game.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #247
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Also, on my very first terror mission, I lost my four best guys. Vixen, the suppory queen, Blitz the shotgun king, and the twins. Fucking Chrysallids. I thought I'd never recover from that.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #248
mckerney
Coordinator

I wish the academy let me teach my soldiers that after the squad has missed 8 straight shots the proper way to let me know they can still hit something is not to panic and kill our support class.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #249
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I wish these idiot squaddies would automatically reaction shoot if they have enough points left. I figure thats something they would have been taught that in remedial combat school.

Or at least give an option to set overwatch automatically and only allow the troops to move without using those points for it.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #250
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Finished it today. Interested in playing it again on higher difficulty. May try out multiplayer.