Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #51
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm not a huge Skip Holtz fan either, but his was one of the names mentioned due to his connections with the Kansas athletic department.

Turner Gill has definitely struggled at Buffalo this season and he's not high on my list either, but we have to understand that he inherited a mess at Buffalo and his recruiting connections in Texas haven't necessarily helped him in Buffalo for obvious reasons. I still think he's a few seasons away from a BCS job, but his name is being thrown out because of his daughter attending college at KU and his ties to the conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Skip Holtz walked away from Kansas AD Lew Perkins at Connecticut to take a coordinator job with his father at South Carolina. What he left at UConn was worse then what you'd have in an empty cupboard FOF career.

He did a decent job over his 5 seasons and got to a 1-AA quarterfinal where they got destroyed by Georgia Southern. That team was set up for one run, he made it and then he disappeared. Maybe he'd be successful at an ACC program with low expectations but I wouldn't expect huge things if he got the Kansas job.

the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #52
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Pruett has to be close to 70 and should probably be banned by the NCAA for the crap he was doing there before. I don't really want Marshall to become a Boise State or Utah, but I don't want them to turn into total crap, either.

Marshall insiders are saying it's Pruett's job if he's up for it. I can't see it ending in anything other than disaster.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #53
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I think this a just a Stoops money grab.

I think so too. I think he and Meyer are both going to get million dollar raises and extensions out of ND being open.

I think Meyer is going to love ND being unstable coaching wise - its going to make him a lot of money as he coaches Florida for the next 20 years.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #54
bob
College Starter

Charlie Weis is officially gone:

Notre Dame Official Athletic Site
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #55
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Stoops issued a statement saying he's staying at OU.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #56
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dang. I was hoping Weis could stick around for another year of mediocrity.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #57
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yep, from the Tulsa World:

NORMAN — Notre Dame needs a football coach. There is a popular Internet-driven opinion the Irish are going to find one in Norman, Oklahoma. There is just one problem, however.

Bob Stoops isn’t leaving the job he already has.

“I fully intend to be at Oklahoma for a long while,” he declared Monday afternoon.

The Internet- and Chicago-based reports he was interested in Notre Dame?

“I can’t help what’s said,” Stoops replied. “But I couldn’t be more excited and pleased with what we’re doing here and what the future holds...

“I intend to be at Oklahoma. I will never confirm or deny things I talk to with anybody. And I won’t be interviewing for any jobs.”
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #58
Kodos
Resident Alien

This afternoon, an angry Nick Saban denied having any interest in coaching the Golden Domes.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

Kelly was on ESPN and sounded interested in the job. He definitely didn't shoot down any rumors.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #60
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently Stoops issued a statement saying he's staying at OU.

Thank fucking god don't want 'em.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #61
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Kelly was on ESPN and sounded interested in the job. He definitely didn't shoot down any rumors.

I am calling it now Gary Patterson will be the new ND guy
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #62
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I hope they hire Godzilla Blitz.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #63
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Charlie Weis is officially gone:

Notre Dame Official Athletic Site

As much as I can't stand Notre Dame, I think this is a dumb move. Weis has recruited talent and has the program on the upswing. Are they performing like the Irish of before? No, but that's unrealistic. This is a different time. If Weis could convince Clausen and Tate to stay, they would have a chance to make a run next year. With Weis gone, looks like the Irish will take a few steps back once again after everyone is enamored with a coach winning with the previous coach's players.

Now, can Weis move a few hours west and get on Lovie's staff in Chicago? He needs some OC help BAD.

Last edited by rjolley : 11-30-2009 at 03:48 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #64
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
“I fully intend to be at Oklahoma for a long while,” he declared Monday afternoon.

“I intend to be at Oklahoma.”

This is exactly the kind of language that coaches who want to leave a door open use. "I intend" gives them an out when they leave shortly after issuing such a proclamation.

Not that I have any particular reason to think Stoops is a liar, but the Sabans and Petrinos of the world have essentially made all college coaches denying interest in job X completely unbelievable.

I'll believe Stoops is staying at UO when ND hires someone else or Stoops signs his new deal there. Until then, all these denials sound just like the others that were lies.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #65
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
This is exactly the kind of language that coaches who want to leave a door open use. "I intend" gives them an out when they leave shortly after issuing such a proclamation.

Not that I have any particular reason to think Stoops is a liar, but the Sabans and Petrinos of the world have essentially made all college coaches denying interest in job X completely unbelievable.

I'll believe Stoops is staying at UO when ND hires someone else or Stoops signs his new deal there. Until then, all these denials sound just like the others that were lies.

Well, it was a bit less squirrly than the other article made it sound:

""I'm going to be at Oklahoma next year," he said. "If (athletic director) Joe (Castiglione) will have me and President (David) Boren, that's what I intend to do."

I don't think he's going anywhere, and if he does, I doubt it would be Notre Dame.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #66
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I hope they hire Godzilla Blitz.

+1
Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #67
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

I actually agree with you. It really frustrates me that he can't just come out and say one way or another in plain, definitive language. I understand not doing so earlier, as that could've been perceived as disrespectful to another coach. But once the job is officially open, say with certainty or don't say anything at all.

I've said all along that I don't think he'll go. In fact, I just wouldn't be able to comprehend that move. But if he did, I would wish him well but certainly be disappointed. He's a great coach, and anyone would have to be nuts not to want him.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 11-30-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #68
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Per FootballCoachScoop.com, Kansas is in talks with former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer. Other coaches that KU is interested in per their source are TCU's Gary Patterson, Houston's Kevin Sumlin, Oklahoma's defensive coordinator Brent Venerables, Central Michigan's Butch Jones, Buffalo's Turner Gill, Stanford's Jim Harbaugh, and Boise State's Chris Peterson.

I honestly don't know how reliable the site is so I don't know how serious to take it. I would be pleasantly surprised if Fulmer was interested. Patterson is still tops on my list.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #69
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Per FootballCoachScoop.com, Kansas is in talks with former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer. Other coaches that KU is interested in per their source are TCU's Gary Patterson, Houston's Kevin Sumlin, Oklahoma's defensive coordinator Brent Venerables, Central Michigan's Butch Jones, Buffalo's Turner Gill, Stanford's Jim Harbaugh, and Boise State's Chris Peterson.

I honestly don't know how reliable the site is so I don't know how serious to take it. I would be pleasantly surprised if Fulmer was interested. Patterson is still tops on my list.

That site hasn't hit on a damn thing as far as I've seen. I really think it relies heavily on fans submitting what they read on sites like scout and rivals for their info. Those sites can be good sources of info, but you really have to read the sites and know who knows their shit to come away with anything more than standard message board rumors.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-30-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #70
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Patterson would be tops on mine too, but good luck with that - he's got a real good thing going at TCU. I suppose his ties to the state might help, but I doubt he's going to leave TCU for Kansas.

I'm also amused to see Harbaugh listed - why exactly would he leave Stanford for Kansas?

Fulmer, Sumlin, Jones, Venables & Gill would seem to be the most realistic options on that list.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #71
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

That's what I was wondering. I have no idea where they get their information and was surprised to see Fulmer listed as being interested in the Kansas job.

Quote:
That site hasn't hit on a damn thing as far as I've seen. I really think it relies heavily on fans submitting what they read on sites like scout and rivals for their info. Those sites can be good sources of info, but you really have to read the sites and know who knows their shit to come away with anything more than standard message board rumors.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #72
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Patterson's family still lives in Kansas and the rumors have been swirling since last year when the KSU job opened up that he was interested in being closer to his parents. I don't know if those rumors are true, but if they are it could definitely make Kansas a job he may covet. It would also make for an easy transition for him since he already recruits the Big 12 region. I really hope he's interested, but the guy has a great job at TCU so I'm not too confident in landing him.

I don't know that the article mentioned he was interested in Kansas. Those other coaches named were all ones that Kansas was interested in. Doesn't mean those coaches were interested in Kansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Patterson would be tops on mine too, but good luck with that - he's got a real good thing going at TCU. I suppose his ties to the state might help, but I doubt he's going to leave TCU for Kansas.

I'm also amused to see Harbaugh listed - why exactly would he leave Stanford for Kansas?

Fulmer, Sumlin, Jones, Venables & Gill would seem to be the most realistic options on that list.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #73
Atocep
Coordinator

I saw a Fulmer to UVA rumor somewhere today. I can't think of a worse match as far as school and coach goes. I don't think Fulmer would make a full season there.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #74
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ESPN reporting Bowden is retiring.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #75
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know that the article mentioned he was interested in Kansas. Those other coaches named were all ones that Kansas was interested in. Doesn't mean those coaches were interested in Kansas.
Sure. I'm just saying that such speculation is next to worthless. May as well say Kansas is interested in Jeff Tedford or Mike Riley. I'm sure Kansas would love to have all of those guys, but the chances are slim to none that they'd get them.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #76
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
As much as I can't stand Notre Dame, I think this is a dumb move. Weis has recruited talent and has the program on the upswing. Are they performing like the Irish of before? No, but that's unrealistic. This is a different time. If Weis could convince Clausen and Tate to stay, they would have a chance to make a run next year.
I don't want to turn this into a(nother) referendum on Weis' tenure and the ND program, but suffice it to say that the 4-game losing streak cemented that Weis was not the right fit. While he has been phenomenal at recruiting and gameplanning on offense the defense has shown no signs of improvement despite decent talent and multiple respected coordinators there, and the close losses aren't an aberration. They're also not particularly unlucky in those because there were a number of close wins as well. Saying they had a chance to make a run next year is true, but they had a chance this year and ended 6-6. With Weis it was pretty much a guarantee they'd lose 2-3 close games they shouldn't next year too.
Quote:
Kelly's been my A choice as a coach, but there are the constant rumblings and talk of skeletons in the closet with him. A lot seems to be sour grapes from Michigan/MSU fans and the assumption that there must be some if he wasn't hired at a more prestigious job yet. The concrete stuff I've found is that he's an egotistical asshole (who cares - most good coaches are) and saying the (African-American) players on CMU who beat the kid to death were from "a culture of violence" or some such. He also campaigned with John Kerry (aka pro-choice Democrat - which would be a retarded qualification for a football coach but after the Obama issue at ND there is clearly a segment of the alumni that do care strongly) and he may have paid for/encouraged someone he knocked up (a student?) to get an abortion. Anything I'm missing here?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-30-2009 at 07:31 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #77
Jon
High School Varsity

I'm totally clueless here, but what are the rumors about Brian Kelly?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #78
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Not necessarily. Stanford is a good football program, but they aren't paying Harbaugh what he could get at Kansas. Is money everything? Certainly not. But I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh uses any BCS level interest as a means to bump up his pay at Stanford or another school.

Quote:
Sure. I'm just saying that such speculation is next to worthless. May as well say Kansas is interested in Jeff Tedford or Mike Riley. I'm sure Kansas would love to have all of those guys, but the chances are slim to none that they'd get them.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #79
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I'm totally clueless here, but what are the rumors about Brian Kelly?

If you're asking about the skeletons in his closet, the story as I remember it is shortly after getting hired at CMU some players on the football team got into a big fight. Then they refused to cooperate with the police and Kelly stated something along the lines of kids that grow up in poor african-american communities come from a culture where they're taught not to trust the police. He was immediately ripped in the papers for making racially insensitive remarks and later apologized.

That's the big one. I think there may have been a couple other minor incidents while he was there as well, but I don't remember any specifics.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #80
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Well Kelly is a 'liberal' Catholic for one.

Also from Dennis Dodd cbssportsline.com:

Quote:
Specifically, if Brian Kelly is truly the No. 1 candidate to replace Weis, will the Cincinnati coach be able to get past comments he made to the Detroit Free Press four years ago?

At the time, five of his players had been charged with second-degree murder in the beating death of a man outside a Mount Pleasant, Mich. Bar in June 2004. Although he inherited the players, the crime occurred on Kelly's watch at Central Michigan. He had been hired as the Chippewas' coach before the 2004 season.

These are Kelly's comments after perjury charges were made against the players.

"A number of them were African Americans that had been in that culture of violence, and they're taught to look away," Kelly was quoted in the Free Press as saying. "You don't want anything to do with it. Get out of there. You don't say anything to anybody."

Kelly was admonished for the remarks by then-Central Michigan president Michael Rao and later apologized.

"I am appalled and offended at the obvious lack of forethought and sensitivity these remarks ... connote," Rao said in a statement at the time. "Coach Kelly expressed his deep regret to me ..."
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #81
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ESPN reporting Bowden is retiring.

Joe out lasted the old coot!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #82
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you're asking about the skeletons in his closet, the story as I remember it is shortly after getting hired at CMU some players on the football team got into a big fight. Then they refused to cooperate with the police and Kelly stated something along the lines of kids that grow up in poor african-american communities come from a culture where they're taught not to trust the police. He was immediately ripped in the papers for making racially insensitive remarks and later apologized.

That's the big one. I think there may have been a couple other minor incidents while he was there as well, but I don't remember any specifics.
This is all I'm aware of, and I find it ridiculous that this might be considered a "skeleton" in his closet. While he should've known better than to make a statement like that due to the incredibly sensitive nature of race relations in this country, the statement contained a lot of truth.

If this is all that's supposedly holding him back from premiere jobs, then the AD's in question are idiots.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #83
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not necessarily. Stanford is a good football program, but they aren't paying Harbaugh what he could get at Kansas. Is money everything? Certainly not. But I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh uses any BCS level interest as a means to bump up his pay at Stanford or another school.
I have my doubts about that. Stanford is a private institution, so getting true financial figures on coaches salaries there is difficult, but he reportedly agreed to an extension last year for $1.25M per season that was put on hold due to the economic climate. Given his current status, I'd be shocked if that salary figure wasn't bumped up closer to or above $2M per season and approved. Stanford knows Harbaugh is hot property right now, and they don't want to lose him. The University itself has a huge endowment, and after building the new stadium on campus I don't think the AD is going to let him walk away due to salary considerations unless another school offers him silly money.

And aside from all that, Harbaugh is proving that he can win at Stanford, no mean feat. He's recruiting quite well according to the various online sites and his success on the field is crystal clear. He'll have a hard time replacing Gerhart, but Luck is only going to get better and as long as he can build strong, tough offensive lines, his offense will roll. His main challenge is to build a defense that rivals his offense.

My point being, I think he can accomplish at Stanford everything he could accomplish at Kansas, and to boot, he appears to relish the idea of succeeding at a University that holds themselves to higher academic standards than just about any other in FBS football.

How much are you figuring Kansas is going to spend on a new coach anyway?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #84
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Joe out lasted the old coot!
Maybe that will be the impetus for Joe to finally retire too. Seems pretty clear he was sticking around to retain his status of having the most coaching wins in FBS history.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #85
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
This is all I'm aware of, and I find it ridiculous that this might be considered a "skeleton" in his closet. While he should've known better than to make a statement like that due to the incredibly sensitive nature of race relations in this country, the statement contained a lot of truth.

If this is all that's supposedly holding him back from premiere jobs, then the AD's in question are idiots.

There is also rumors of him knocking up a secretary, the whole murder thing involving his players where he may or may not have told his players to say as little as possible to authorities and a slew of other missteps along the way.

Listen, it may or may not be true, but a few sports writers in the state are CMU grads who have been saying there is some dark shit in his past which is why MSU didn't hire him.

Take it FWIW.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #86
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Maybe that will be the impetus for Joe to finally retire too. Seems pretty clear he was sticking around to retain his status of having the most coaching wins in FBS history.

Joe will die on the field.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #87
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
And aside from all that, Harbaugh is proving that he can win at Stanford, no mean feat. He's recruiting quite well according to the various online sites and his success on the field is crystal clear. He'll have a hard time replacing Gerhart, but Luck is only going to get better and as long as he can build strong, tough offensive lines, his offense will roll. His main challenge is to build a defense that rivals his offense.
I think Harbaugh is a very good offensive coach, a great fit at Stanford, and he may be as good as people think he is, but I really don't agree that he's proven yet instead of being a flavor of the month. He's 8-4 and has one winning season in 3 at Stanford. It looks nice coming after the Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris debacles, but Ty Willingham had 4 winning seasons in 7 at Stanford and won the conference once. I'd like to see Harbaugh go above .500 for 2 consecutive seasons, particularly without Gerhart, before agreeing he deserves the hype.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #88
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I agree on Harbaugh. I don't know that he'll leave Stanford, but he's going to use these other BCS schools like Kansas to up his current salary. Hence you're going to see Harbaugh take calls from Kansas, Louisville, etc simply to up his current salary.

Mangino is making about $2.3 million a year so I'm guessing it will be in that region depending on experience, etc. The Kansas job could be one of the better jobs available thus far this year given the new facilities, money invested into the program, BCS conference, etc. The downside for Kansas is and always will be that you're going to have to recruit outside the state, but especially in Texas which is not easy given Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, etc.

Quote:
I have my doubts about that. Stanford is a private institution, so getting true financial figures on coaches salaries there is difficult, but he reportedly agreed to an extension last year for $1.25M per season that was put on hold due to the economic climate. Given his current status, I'd be shocked if that salary figure wasn't bumped up closer to or above $2M per season and approved. Stanford knows Harbaugh is hot property right now, and they don't want to lose him. The University itself has a huge endowment, and after building the new stadium on campus I don't think the AD is going to let him walk away due to salary considerations unless another school offers him silly money.

My point being, I think he can accomplish at Stanford everything he could accomplish at Kansas, and to boot, he appears to relish the idea of succeeding at a University that holds themselves to higher academic standards than just about any other in FBS football.

How much are you figuring Kansas is going to spend on a new coach anyway?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #89
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

There has been a rumor of a co-ed Kelly impreganated and ten encouraged/"forced" to terminate the pregnancy.

Additionally the man has the mouth of a sailor, which while IS part of football may not be a part ND wants to associate with.

I honestly think they should hire Tommy Bowden, he would win 8-9 every year, and say a mean pre game prayer....

As a freind and former staffer said once, "When it comes to NCAA coaches there is not a better prayer leader than Tommy Bowden, and whne it comes to coaching football games; well he does say a nice prayer."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #90
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If Patterson were going to return home to Kansas, he would have taken the K-State job last year. He was a K-State player and coach, and Snyder supposedly endorsed him to take the job and he turned it down. As one analyst I heard over the weekend pointed out, Patterson probably has an easier road to the BCS and a national title from TCU than he would from Kansas. If Patterson leaves TCU, I think it's for a topline BCS job.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #91
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think everything Stoops said is true and yet it all gives him wiggle room to leave. First, if you're not going anywhere, you don't say you "intend" to be at OU next year -- you say "I will" be at OU next year.

I also think Stoops is beyond interviewing. You don't interview Stoops, you just offer him the job. He's not getting on a plan to South Bend without a contract in hand.

As far as Notre Dame goes, I think the perfect guy for them would be Bo Pelini. He's got a great background, he's defensive minded, he's got a national recruiting background with experience going into Texas and the south, he's got BCS experience, he's from Ohio -- oh, and by the way, he went to a Catholic high school. He's got Nebraska back on the right track in two years.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #92
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think Harbaugh is a very good offensive coach, a great fit at Stanford, and he may be as good as people think he is, but I really don't agree that he's proven yet instead of being a flavor of the month. He's 8-4 and has one winning season in 3 at Stanford. It looks nice coming after the Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris debacles, but Ty Willingham had 4 winning seasons in 7 at Stanford and won the conference once. I'd like to see Harbaugh go above .500 for 2 consecutive seasons, particularly without Gerhart, before agreeing he deserves the hype.
Is he "proven"? No, I guess not. But it's hard to ignore the positive trajectory he has Stanford on, and given the context - the Pac-10 is an absolute meat-grinder this year with 6 good programs and 3 more competitive ones, his 8-4 record is all the more impressive. The Pac-10 wasn't as good most years when Ty was at Stanford, and while he took Walsh's players and had an immediate 4 game improvement, he declined in years 3 and 4 before bouncing between good years and a mediocre year before leaving for Notre Dame.

I can understand the hesitancy given the past history of TyWilly, but I think Harbaugh is genuine. Obviously some of the credit for his success goes to the talents of Toby Gerhart, but by the same token, give credit to Harbaugh for fully exploiting Gerhart's talent.

Obviously we'll know better in 2-3 more years whether Harbaugh is a flash in the pan or a proven high level coach, but by then he may no longer be available - he'll either be at a top-notch football school or he'll be basically entrenched at Stanford. If he can consistently win at Stanford and compete for Pac-10 titles, I see little reason for him to leave for another college job - at that point he's either at Stanford for a long time or he decides to jump to the NFL.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #93
thealmighty
Pro Starter

"Leave Gary Aloooone!!!"
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #94
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I think everything Stoops said is true and yet it all gives him wiggle room to leave. First, if you're not going anywhere, you don't say you "intend" to be at OU next year -- you say "I will" be at OU next year.

I also think Stoops is beyond interviewing. You don't interview Stoops, you just offer him the job. He's not getting on a plan to South Bend without a contract in hand.
I'd be surprised if Stoops left for Notre Dame, but not shocked.

Success only raises expectations, and with his failure to win another title since 2000, some think he's plateaued at Oklahoma and that Texas has finally passed them by in the Big-12.

Coaches have egos, and it could appeal to Stoops' ego to go to Notre Dame and be the guy to get them their next National Championship. Winning a championship at 2 different schools would elevate his status among all-time coaches, and while the downside to not succeeding at Notre Dame is obvious, those that do succeed become legends. Not that he isn't already a legend for his success at Oklahoma, but he could raise it a notch by also succeeding at Notre Dame. Right now, he probably ranks behind Wilkinson and Switzer in the minds of most Oklahoma fans.

Ultimately I think Stoops will parlay this into a raise, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he takes the job at Notre Dame.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #95
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If Patterson were going to return home to Kansas, he would have taken the K-State job last year. He was a K-State player and coach, and Snyder supposedly endorsed him to take the job and he turned it down. As one analyst I heard over the weekend pointed out, Patterson probably has an easier road to the BCS and a national title from TCU than he would from Kansas. If Patterson leaves TCU, I think it's for a topline BCS job.
+1
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #96
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
There is also rumors of him knocking up a secretary, the whole murder thing involving his players where he may or may not have told his players to say as little as possible to authorities and a slew of other missteps along the way.

Listen, it may or may not be true, but a few sports writers in the state are CMU grads who have been saying there is some dark shit in his past which is why MSU didn't hire him.

Take it FWIW.
Interesting. If he doesn't get a sniff at Notre Dame this year or Michigan after RichRod is fired, I guess we can infer there's truth to these rumors.

If Cincinnati follows through on facilities improvements, he may not really need to move on to a bigger school anyway - if he keeps winning 10-11 games every year, he's going to put Cincinnati in a position to get serious consideration for a BCS Championship game if things break right, more so than Boise State.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #97
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Interesting. If he doesn't get a sniff at Notre Dame this year or Michigan after RichRod is fired, I guess we can infer there's truth to these rumors.

If Cincinnati follows through on facilities improvements, he may not really need to move on to a bigger school anyway - if he keeps winning 10-11 games every year, he's going to put Cincinnati in a position to get serious consideration for a BCS Championship game if things break right, more so than Boise State.

He has a Rich Rodriguez type personality. He won't stay at Cincy for long.

Cincy's improvements are also just to get them on par with a typical D-1A school as I believe Cincy and Marshall are the only 2 that practice on the same field they play on right now. Their facilities are just terrible. Even with the money they're dumping into the program they'll still be behind most of the Big East schools.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #98
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Kelly's been my A choice as a coach, but there are the constant rumblings and talk of skeletons in the closet with him. A lot seems to be sour grapes from Michigan/MSU fans and the assumption that there must be some if he wasn't hired at a more prestigious job yet.
Quote:
That's precisely why this is so frustrating. Everyone talks about these rumors but no one goes on record. Yet I'm sure if he's hired by ND (or Michigan) you'll have 15 people on record and a dozen articles about every allegation within a week.

The racial comments will be loved by the Jason Whitlock's desperate to bring up Tyrone Willingham and race at ND again, but actually looking at what's in public there's a lot of truth to the comments. And the secretary/alleged abortion thing isn't good, but I really don't care anymore than I did about Pitino. If that's really the worst of it, they don't seem to be that bad. And if they aren't, I wish somebody would put the other reason out there.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
That's precisely why this is so frustrating. Everyone talks about these rumors but no one goes on record. Yet I'm sure if he's hired by ND (or Michigan) you'll have 15 people on record and a dozen articles about every allegation within a week.

The racial comments will be loved by the Jason Whitlock's desperate to bring up Tyrone Willingham and race at ND again, but actually looking at what's in public there's a lot of truth to the comments. And the secretary/alleged abortion thing isn't good, but I really don't care anymore than I did about Pitino. If that's really the worst of it, they don't seem to be that bad. And if they aren't, I wish somebody would put the other reason out there.

A lot of people were shocked he didn't get the MSU job. That is why a lot of this came out. It was rumbled around the time, but yeah. He was never a candidate for the Michigan job, but you could base that on his merit to that point.

MSU though would have been a perfect fit which is why it's so odd.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #100
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I don't think you realize how poor the KSU job is right now. For starters, they are hurting financially after the Ron Prince buyout fiasco so there is no way they could offer anything remotely competitive with TCU. And Ron Prince's squad was so heavily laden with junior college talent that in two years they were going to have to deal with some major rebuilding. And depending on which rumors you listened to, Patterson was either never offered the job or he turned it down because of the KSU leak. Honestly, I think there was some interest in Patterson, but only if Snyder wouldn't take the job and then hand it off to an assistant. I think the next coach in line for the KSU job is current assistant Koenning.

As for an easier road to the BCS, Kansas playing in the Big 12 north gives him just as good an opportunity as he has at TCU. It's not like he'll be playing Oklahoma and Texas every season. Your point would definitely be valid if TCU can sustain their current success while beating BCS caliber opponents in bowl games. Sad to say, but a school like TCU is going to take a reputation hit for simply being in the Mountain West Conference.

Quote: