Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #7151
tarcone
Coordinator

The Crazies-- 6/10

Cool idea. But the script didnt play things out. It seemed like it wanted to go for a scare or a chase instead of playing out the story. Struggled through the last 1/3rd of the movie.

Another virus type movie on netflix.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #7152
PilotMan
Head Coach

Parasite 9/10

A few gaps in the story, but the execution is amazing. A couple of incredible twists and a fantastical cherry on top at the end. It's an amazingly well written and shot. Very deserving of it's awards.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:52 AM   #7153
stevew
Hall Of Famer

19178.5/10

Great movie. Loved the single shot gimmick. No fat in the script at all.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #7154
Atocep
Coordinator

The Girl with All the Gifts - 7.5/10 (Netflix)

This is either heavily inspired by The Last of Us or a massive coincidence. Still, an interesting story. It has it's flaws but was a fun late night watch.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #7155
PilotMan
Head Coach

Has anyone watched The Jesus Rolls?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #7156
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I heard it was awful
Old 04-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #7157
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Has anyone watched The Jesus Rolls?

When I first saw the trailer I was like "what the hell is this?" and looking up the details only made it sound stranger and more unnecessary:

It's written, directed & starring Turturro, and obviously presented as a spin-off of Lebowski, but it's actually a re-make of a French film from the '70s "widely considered one of the most controversial films in French cinema due to its vulgarity, depiction of sexual acts, nudity and moral ambiguity"

Going Places (1974 film - Wikipedia)
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #7158
Edward64
Head Coach

Re-watched "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow". Giving it an 8/10.

It's an underrated movie.

I think Tom Cruise is a good actor. His progression from non-combatant to a veteran was great. I watched the specials and it showed how physical it was filming in those suits.

Great chemistry between Cruise and Emily Blunt.

And I didn't know this until watching the specials but Bill Paxton (RIP) was in the movie as the drill sergeant. "Game over man!"
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #7159
molson
General Manager

I saw Cats this weekend. I was in Oregon, and yes, maybe there was some beer and edibles involved. But it wasn't nearly as entertainingly bad as I thought it would be. It was Cats in film form.

One of my earliest memories is Cats is starting its national tour in Boston in the early 80s. That's an random thing to remember, but it was everywhere - kids at school wore Cats shirts, local celebrities dressed up as Cats to promote the musical. I was just starting to be aware enough to be bombarded by media campaigns and that was the one going on then, full throttle.

So, maybe the idea of dancing cats nonsense isn't that weird to to me, so the movie was just kind of there. Look, we can all agree that Andrew Lloyd Weber is a dangerous lunatic. But when you're just used to living in that world, it's not that startling, good or bad.

I know there were a lot of effects glitches that were later cleaned up. And I've seen some of the visual aspects described as simply being "off", and that's true, it doesn't look like any other movie. I think they were going for a fakeish broadway stage look come to life on the big screen. It didn't work, it didn't connect with audiences, but it really didn't bother me. And these actors were committed, many of the performances were actually great. There were times it was fun to watch.

My main disappointment is that it was just Cats. Nothing so bad it was good. And now I have that stupid Mr. Mistoffelees song stuck in my head. I think it has cult film/midnight movie/singalong potential.

Last edited by molson : 06-23-2020 at 11:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #7160
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Re-watched "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow". Giving it an 8/10.

It's an underrated movie.

I think Tom Cruise is a good actor. His progression from non-combatant to a veteran was great. I watched the specials and it showed how physical it was filming in those suits.

Great chemistry between Cruise and Emily Blunt.

And I didn't know this until watching the specials but Bill Paxton (RIP) was in the movie as the drill sergeant. "Game over man!"

Agree - an underrated movie that doesn't get a lot of discussion. I like it, one of the better big budget sci fi movies from the last decade.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #7161
korme
Go Reds

Is anyone using Letterboxd? This app lets you log and rate every movie you watch. Add me @shanekorme. I've logged around 400 movies!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #7162
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Man Of Steel - 9/10
I was expecting 'meh', largely because I'm sick of watching origin stories well all know all over again every single reboot, but this one did a good job of it IMO. I also appreciated that it wasn't a movie about the Louis Lane/Clark Kent romance or the Smallville 'growing up' stuff. The fact that I know less about Superman (ie. I didn't know who General Zod was outside of a vague recollection) than other superheroes helps. But yeah, it was a big dumb Hollywood epic pic that I could switch off my brain and enjoy a whole heap. They definitely made the right choice as far as casting for Superman went.

Watched this earlier this week and agree with this - I really enjoyed it
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #7163
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Is anyone using Letterboxd? This app lets you log and rate every movie you watch. Add me @shanekorme. I've logged around 400 movies!

Yeah, Ive used it but so far I've just rated the movies from my cinema journey dynasty (and it's been awhile since I've updated it). (EDIT: And now it's updated)

‎JayFromNJ’s profile • Letterboxd

Last edited by sabotai : 06-25-2020 at 01:47 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #7164
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Watched this earlier this week and agree with this - I really enjoyed it

Followed it up with Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice... not so good. There’s a difference between suspension of disbelief and complete abandonment of reality
Old 06-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #7165
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

I'm on there as well...

‎Larry McGillicuddy’s profile • Letterboxd

I went year by year and rated everything I've ever seen, which is 2,462 films.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #7166
RendeR
Coordinator

Hellboy (2019 remake) 5/10

The effects were great, the creatures excellent and well detailed, the cast was phenominal.

the writing was just....dry heave worthy at best.

All in all this was a very entertaining action flick. Something to have on as background noise while playing board games or hobbying.

But just don't LISTEN to it......UGH.

Milla Jovovich was a great pick for the blood queen, but they killed it in the writing.

not sold on the guy playing hellboy, but its hard to one up the best big red ever.

Last edited by RendeR : 06-26-2020 at 11:05 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #7167
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich 8/10

Athlete A 8/10

Surviving R. Kelly 8/10

There are some disgustingly sick people in the world. All of these are about females who have been sexually abused. All have the same story: man of power abuses them and they live with it for years before coming forward. Spoiler alert - these perverts go to jail.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #7168
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich 8/10

Athlete A 8/10

Surviving R. Kelly 8/10

There are some disgustingly sick people in the world. All of these are about females who have been sexually abused. All have the same story: man of power abuses them and they live with it for years before coming forward. Spoiler alert - these perverts go to jail.

That's a hell of a triple feature.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #7169
Edward64
Head Coach

Peninsula (Train to Busan 2) - 8/10

Haven't watched it yet but apparently its out in Asia. I know I'll enjoy it.

Train to Busan Sequel Peninsula Scores at Overseas Box Office | IndieWire
Quote:
While the global box office may be crippled right now, one movie that brought a dose of hope to South Korean theaters this past weekend was Yeon Sang-ho’s “Peninsula.” The sequel to 2016’s cult favorite “Train to Busan,” the post-apocalyptic thriller earned $13 million at the South Korean box office, according to Deadline’s figures. In Taiwan, a reported figure of at least $5 million was earned for “Peninsula,” with receipts in Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam. “Peninsula” also delivered IMAX a win this weekend, bringing global totals to $1 million for the first time since mid-March, which was the last time many moviegoers went to a theater. $750,000 of the IMAX totals came from “Peninsula.” Stateside, “Peninsula” is currently dated to open from Well GO USA on August 7.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #7170
Atocep
Coordinator

The Old Guard - 7/10

Solid movie that doesn't really do anything new. It was entertaining enough, I guess, and by Netflix Original standards it's probably a 10/10.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:18 AM   #7171
AlexB
Pro Starter

Blue Ruin - 8/10. A good indie revenge thriller, lots of extended sections without dialogue that add to the outsider feel of the main character.

Definitely worth a watch if you haven’t seen it (it’s about 7-8 years old)
Old 07-22-2020, 02:36 AM   #7172
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Peninsula (Train to Busan 2) - 8/10

Haven't watched it yet but apparently its out in Asia. I know I'll enjoy it.

You can't give a rating to a movie you haven't watched! That's madness!

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-22-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:36 AM   #7173
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Old Guard - 7/10

Solid movie that doesn't really do anything new. It was entertaining enough, I guess, and by Netflix Original standards it's probably a 10/10.

I watched this also and would go 8/10, my reason being it is a fantastic lead in to a full on series which I truly hope was their plan all along.

It drags a bit here and there and is definitely an overused overall plot but I think they really worked it well.

The bad guys were, shall we say, pathetic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #7174
Kodos
Resident Alien

Train to Busan - 8 stars - This is a really well made zombie movie from Japan. Very enjoyable and an interesting take on the zombie genre. On Netflix.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #7175
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Train to Busan - 8 stars - This is a really well made zombie movie from Japan. Very enjoyable and an interesting take on the zombie genre. On Netflix.

South Korea

Agree, it was very enjoyable.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #7176
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dang. I went out on a little limb and guessed there. My bad.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #7177
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching The Mighty Ducks with my kids. It never occurred to me when I was about 17 and saw it, but now that I am a parent I actually find it shitty Gordon made Adam Banks switch teams with only a few games left. Terrible thing to do to the kid.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #7178
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Blue Ruin - 8/10. A good indie revenge thriller, lots of extended sections without dialogue that add to the outsider feel of the main character.

Definitely worth a watch if you haven’t seen it (it’s about 7-8 years old)

Loved it. Same fella who did Murder Party, I believe, which is a fun as hell horror parody. Also did Green Room which I didn't dig so much a lot of people liked.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #7179
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Beach House on Shudder was pretty good. Go into it spoiler free. It's not the best, dialogue wise, but it is suspenseful and creepy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:24 PM   #7180
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Hamilton 0/10
I shut it off. OK, I have rarely enjoyed a musical but I figured, if this is one of the best, I should be able to find some enjoyment out of it.
No.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #7181
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Hamilton 0/10
I shut it off. OK, I have rarely enjoyed a musical but I figured, if this is one of the best, I should be able to find some enjoyment out of it.
No.

The Sound of Music is pretty much my complete list of musicals that I've enjoyed. I don't think I will be able to watch it. My wife is excited about it, but hasn't watched because we usually watch stuff together. So I bet I will see it at some point, but this is my expectation going in.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #7182
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hamilton 0/10
No.

I guess I'll stick to Weird Al's version
Old 07-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #7183
bob
College Starter

Watched Greyhound on Apple. I enjoyed it but wouldn't argue if others didn't. There really weren't any characters in the movie at all. Just people existing in a 1h30m movie filled with tension on the high seas.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #7184
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Old Guard - 7/10

Entertaining enough and agree with your rating. The ending implies another movie but a TV series may be better.

We need a remake of "there can only be one".
Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #7185
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I watched California Split with Elliott Gould and George Segal. (1974)

Wow. It was Robert ALtman's first movie that he used 8 track sound (like cinerama) and used his trademark actors and extras talking over each other
A movie about poker and the poker lifestyle. I'm pretty convinced that without this movie there would have been no "Rounders". I love 70s movies. They are gritty and real. Have a very "slice of life" feel to them.
I read that Gould used to BE that kind of guy pokerwise. And the writer also lived that kinda life.
Really good but also really cringeworthy that this world really does (and did ) exist. I would guess that some people here probably have spent time with people like this...or in places like this. Or even participated in tournaments and games like this. This is a lot less stylized than ROunders.
Anyway I highly recommend it. 8/10
Maybe on second watch (with commentary even) I would rank it higher.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 07-27-2020 at 08:39 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #7186
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Hamilton 0/10
No.

I'm a musical fan but yeah I don't really have any interest in this one.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #7187
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hamilton 0/10
No.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain why you would like Hamilton if you don't like musicals. It's quite obvious one .

I do like musicals and find Hamilton to be one of the best ones - I'm not sure if it's better than Wicked yet, but I also saw Wicked live and only have seen Hamilton on my TV.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #7188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hamilton is super long. I enjoyed it but 2.5 hours of straight singing is a lot. I had listened to the cast soundtrack a bunch of times before.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #7189
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

About to watch Class Action Park, so excited. Growing up in Jersey I remembered going to this place and loving it.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #7190
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Draft Day - 4/10
Stumbled into Draft Day being on tv tonight. So, it's on now, but 20 minutes in and I'm already sensing that this is going to be a train wreck. Having NFL license is something they've got going for them, albeit I'm not sure it's necessary (Any Given Sunday worked without it). Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner as a romantic duo is, (typically Hollywood) icky, with the generation gap. At least they timed airing it awkwardly well with Chadwick Boseman playing a part in it. I'll watch it through the end. 40 minutes in and I'm still thinking this is a little bit over the top, but what do we know as experienced FOF MP players, right? About 75 minutes in and I think I lost track of the number of WTF's in my head. Still watching after about 95 minutes... Well... "WTF" square, or something? And by the end of it, I think I'm grading this a "WTF?" out of 10.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-30-2020 at 03:47 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #7191
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Draft Day - t.b.d./10
Stumbled into Draft Day being on tv tonight. So, it's on now, but 20 minutes in and I'm already sensing that this is going to be a train wreck. Having NFL license is something they've got going for them, albeit I'm not sure it's necessary (Any Given Sunday worked without it). Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner as a romantic duo is, (typically Hollywood) icky, with the generation gap. At least they timed airing it awkwardly well with Chadwick Bozeman playing a part in it. I'll watch it through the end. 40 minutes in and I'm still thinking this is a little bit over the top, but what do we know as experienced FOF MP players, right?

SPOILER: That is not a good movie.

Garry Marshall had a bunch of hits directing treacly Hallmark-style romantic-montage movies based on particular holidays (Valentine's Day! Mother's Day! New Year's Eve!) and I like to pretend that Draft Day is part of that universe.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #7192
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
About to watch Class Action Park, so excited. Growing up in Jersey I remembered going to this place and loving it.

So this was really good, especially since I grew up in Jersey and went several times as a kid, and yes, suffered some injuries.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #7193
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watche the series The Imagineering Story on Disney plus yesterday, was really interesting.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #7194
JPhillips
General Manager

In the Star Wars part, does it mention Chris Beatty? He was a year behind me in HS and was one of the leads on that project.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #7195
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In the Star Wars part, does it mention Chris Beatty? He was a year behind me in HS and was one of the leads on that project.

I don't recall but they have a lot of people talk so they may well have
Old 08-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #7196
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Just saw him in the last episode
Old 08-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #7197
JPhillips
General Manager

That's awesome. I remember him as a very talented artist, and he's one of the top guys at Disney on the creative side. I'll have to watch it, now.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:06 PM   #7198
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That's awesome. I remember him as a very talented artist, and he's one of the top guys at Disney on the creative side. I'll have to watch it, now.

Thanks.

If you just want to see it for him he is in episode 6. Seems like a bright guy, obviously.

does he have an artistic background or engineering?
Old 08-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #7199
tarcone
Coordinator

Went to a movie theater and watched a movie for the first time in a long time.

Unhinged-- 8/10

This is about a dude that is just whacked out and is punishing a woman during a road rage incident. It has some social commentary in it, though not overt.
A really good thriller tuype movie with some really violent parts. It has some unique moments and some surprises that make you jump a bit.

Very much an entertaining film where you can just shut your mind off if you dont mind ignoring the little things they try to make you think about.

I liked it a lot. The time went by really fant and I didnt pee during the movie which is unual (yes, soda and me and my age make it hard to sit through a movie).

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #7200
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

For zombie fans here, Amazon has the sequel "Peninsula" out on Nov 24 for BR/DVD. Don't see a Prime movie option yet. Mixed reviews from what I've read but I will definitely watch it.