Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #5001
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

How about: No ideas, but give us money!

Wow. The Democratic party has become a group of hand wringing pussies with no idea how to rally anyone to their cause. These are about as good as those school speakers who come in and say shit like "Just tell the bully you do not like what you are doing and that they should respect you"

What they need to say can't be said on a sticker, and those stickers aren't going to make someone who is on the fence decide to go democrat in the next election. How about putting that money toward buying air time and taking that air time to present a concise and clear path toward a better country for everyone? I'd try and source data from Fox News and other Republican sources and use that to illustrate my points, trying to be inclusive of the opponent while also showing why things aren't working the way they are now. Using sites and media companies that are known Democratic sources will never play to the other side in any way. I'd also be working incredibly hard to find and put forward a candidate that has charisma and intelligence who also comes from a working class background if at all possible. People need someone who they can believe has their best interests in mind and who knows what its like to be struggling to pay bills and put food on the table, who can show that and talk about it without sounding out of touch. They also need to own up to the shitty things they have done and show that they can accept blame for their own fuck ups.

But nah, lets try memes instead and see if trying and failing to be hip can help us get our constituents to give a shit again. It's unforgivable that this party cannot find a way to do better given the current situation.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-06-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #5002
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The GOP leader is going overseas and trashing America in Eastern Europe while clearly preferring Russia to the United States.

The Dems are holding sticker contests.

Just goes to show how strongly the Constitution's structure works against 3rd parties.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #5003
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
It's unforgivable that this party cannot find a way to do better given the current situation.

1000X yes. It is a political party that is transcendentally bad at politics.

I actually like most of their policies (which is why I'm a member), but the inability to win elections (or even come up with a plan as to how to win them) is . . . kind of a problem?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 07-06-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #5004
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm a bit shocked that people think a) If a party is having a sticker contest that is ALL it's doing at the moment, and b) that no parties until this moment have had a sticker contest.

I mean it's not even on the front page of their website.

Talk about panicking based on nothing.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-06-2017 at 09:25 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #5005
digamma
Torchbearer

I don't think it's panicking, but I do think it is easy to feel really deflated if you're a Democrat right now. Since 1992, with a slight blip in 2006-2009, the Republicans have kicked electoral ass, particularly on the local level. I think the Dems have done a good job in shifting a lot of narratives (LBGTQ rights, for example), but in truth the Republicans are seeing the fruits of their labor in the 90s with better districts in lots and lots of cases.

That said, I do think there's room for optimism on the left. The resistance to Trump can be galvanized into electoral success. I like Tom Perez--he deserves a chance to lead the national party, but the state and local races are where there need to be great strides in 2018. Quit worrying about Bernie vs. Kamala vs. Biden and worry about who your local reps are, and your neighbor's rep and their neighbor's rep.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #5006
Kodos
Resident Alien

Katy Tur had an interesting comment last night. She asked the governor of Virginia who was the leader of the Democratic party. The guy refused to give a name. She said for the past 6 months she has been asking that question, and none of the Democrats will answer. I imagine everyone is trying to avoid saying Nancy Pelosi.

By the way, does anyone else have a crush on Katy Tur?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #5007
digamma
Torchbearer

I guess my response to that would be to ask who the leader of the Republican party was from 1992 to 2000? Newt possibly? Dole was more of a sacrificial lamb in 96. Someone behind the scenes? Rush Limbaugh? That time period is really when the Republican machine kicked into gear.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #5008
JediKooter
Coordinator

Regardless of if the democratic party is doing a sticker party or a bake sale, if it isn't glaringly obvious to anyone with a lick of common sense that the dumpster fire that is the current administration has to go, the problem is beyond the party organizers at that point. With the crap that Trump is pulling and his appointments, we are going to be paying for it for years after he's gone and if that doesn't get people to the polls in 2018 to neuter him as much as possible, well then I guess we can all vote Putin in 2020.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #5009
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My frustration/dissolution as a Democrat has been the lack of success on everything but the presidential level. But for President Obama and his coattails, the party has been light years behind the GOP.

Here in NC, the GOP has drawn the state legislative districts so carefully that even as a Democrat became governor, the GOP maintained a veto-proof majority in the state legislature. And the GOP used the lame duck period to shift a lot of power from the governor to the legislature.

That's how the GOP plays--to win. I'm not sure what the party that represents my interests is doing. They seem 20 years behind the times in terms of tactics and strategy.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #5010
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Katy Tur had an interesting comment last night. She asked the governor of Virginia who was the leader of the Democratic party. The guy refused to give a name. She said for the past 6 months she has been asking that question, and none of the Democrats will answer. I imagine everyone is trying to avoid saying Nancy Pelosi.

Why would anyone say Nancy Pelosi? The answer is Tom Perez.

Or the Democrats that were asked may not want to get into a Bernie vs. the Party war.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #5011
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm a bit shocked that people think a) If a party is having a sticker contest that is ALL it's doing at the moment, and b) that no parties until this moment have had a sticker contest. I mean it's not even on the front page of their website. Talk about panicking based on nothing.

The phrase that comes to mind is "it's the optics of the thing".

Or presumably that's the reason it's getting some play I would imagine.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #5012
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The phrase that comes to mind is "it's the optics of the thing".

Or presumably that's the reason it's getting some play I would imagine.

Eh... it's part of an email/tweet to supporters.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #5013
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I'm a bit shocked that people think a) If a party is having a sticker contest that is ALL it's doing at the moment, and b) that no parties until this moment have had a sticker contest.

I mean it's not even on the front page of their website.

Talk about panicking based on nothing.

The stickers are just a symptom, or a small sign of the problem, the reasons for panic are losing to Donald Trump and otherwise failing politically against a Republican party that is growing scarier.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #5014
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A few things.

I'm not bothered by having a sticker contest. I'm bothered that this is the best the DCCC can come up with. Pithy slogans are fine, but they need to be good. Can you imagine a Coke slogan: Have you seen the other colas? This has shown that the DCCC has nothing to offer in the continuing quest for a Dem brand.

But there is a possible solution! Apparently work is being done on a Better Deal platform. Of course a bunch of Dems immediately said they wouldn't agree to it, whatever it may be. The details of the agenda would matter, but the refusal to see the necessity for a shared agenda is maddening.

Opposition parties always struggle with leadership, but the good news is that that will solve itself in 2020. Who wants to name a party leader when most of the people being asked probably consider themselves as possible contenders? I'd be interested in asking GOP electeds the same question. I wonder how many would say Trump?

I hope Perez and Ellison are focused on state elections in 2020. The nationals tend to work themselves out, but the census and redistricting is the single most important thing the party needs to win. Redrawing even half of the 22 seats the AP estimates went GOP because of gerrymandering would be huge.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #5015
lungs
Pro Rookie

My sister-in-law has a genius brother that is into psychometrics and some pretty far out stuff. The DNC has been in contact with his company about utilizing them for some next generation stuff.

So there are more than sticker contests going on
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #5016
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not bothered by having a sticker contest. I'm bothered that this is the best the DCCC can come up with. Pithy slogans are fine, but they need to be good. Can you imagine a Coke slogan: Have you seen the other colas?

That one really is the worst. I mean it's stickers, so I don't know how much substance I should be expecting, but if I'm judging by those stickers the Dem strategy is split between 'look at the other guys', 'Hillary tried pretty hard', and 'let's go blue team.'. Keep sucking that chicken.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #5017
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

For me it's not so much that I think a sticker contest is all that they are doing, it's how awful and out of touch those stickers are. One only blatantly breeds more divisiveness, two seem like they are made with an Elizabeth Warren run in mind (Which I would be fine with but I don't think need to be on a sticker already) and the other is just a weak play on Make America Great Again which is also divisive.

If there has to be a sticker with a slogan or something on it, I feel like I could come up with about a hundred better than these in a few hours.

"We've got work to do"
"Jobs, Infrastructure, Education, Clean Air"
"No more fucking around"
"We're sorry about forcing Hillary on you"
"Corporations are not people"
"America's reputation is at stake"
"Inform yourself"
"This affects us all"
"Learning from our mistakes"
"It's your right to bear arms"
"The system is broken"
"Direction and purpose"
"Our children come first"
"The future hangs in the balance"
"Our country can be better"
"More cooperation, better legislation"
"Division is destructive"
"From the ground up"
"We must protect this house"
"Your vote is vital"

Anyway, I'm not gonna sit here and come up with these for another 2 hours and 45 minutes or pretend I am some kind of political strategist, but I think all of the above (even the joke ones) are better without pulling more of the "We're better than them" bullshit that only serves to separate this country and draw sharper lines/ dig deeper chasms between its people. That shit needs to stop and it needs to come from the top down. Our leaders need to be leaders, not pretend they're better than anyone or play these dumb ass school yard finger pointing games.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-06-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #5018
bhlloy
Coordinator

We just don't understand after a year of telling people the other side is awful and they are too if they vote for them why people aren't voting for us guys

Maybe we just need more stickers? Brilliant idea Brian!
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #5019
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That one really is the worst. I mean it's stickers, so I don't know how much substance I should be expecting, but if I'm judging by those stickers the Dem strategy is split between 'look at the other guys', 'Hillary tried pretty hard', and 'let's go blue team.'. Keep sucking that chicken.

She Persisted is about Warren, not Hillary.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #5020
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
She Persisted is about Warren, not Hillary.

Okay, I guess. So we're celebrating that Pelosi 'persisted' through a crushing loss? My greatest wish is that all the Third Way Dems would stop persisting as soon as possible.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #5021
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

???

What does Pelosi have to do with Warren?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #5022
sabotai
General Manager

"She persisted, WE RESISTED" sounds like an anti-Warren slogan. Just awful.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #5023
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
By the way, does anyone else have a crush on Katy Tur?

Not bad, but my news-crush is Lana Zak.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #5024
Easy Mac

So the South Carolina government said they won't hand over voter data to the "Election Integrity Committee." It is run by Republicans.

The chairman of the SC GOP has released a statement stating he will buy voter data as a private citizen and hand it over to the committee.

It makes sense since Clinton won the state by so much...
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #5025
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Why would anyone say Nancy Pelosi? The answer is Tom Perez.

Or the Democrats that were asked may not want to get into a Bernie vs. the Party war.

Maybe someone can see what Ed Rendell is up to.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #5026
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
So the South Carolina government said they won't hand over voter data to the "Election Integrity Committee." It is run by Republicans.

The chairman of the SC GOP has released a statement stating he will buy voter data as a private citizen and hand it over to the committee.

It makes sense since Clinton won the state by so much...

ah south carolina politics.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #5027
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
???

My reading & comprehension skillz are running loooow.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #5028
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yes, we should abandon the Third Way and join the Brogressives on an ultra-liberal crusade that tells moderates to fuck off. What a brilliant political strategy. Instead of the Hillary-style defeats, we can reclaim the glory days of Mondale and Dukakis!

And how the fuck does Pelosi qualify as "Third Way" anyways?

I think the only thing worse than the political strategy of the Democratic party is what people (particularly the left wing of the party) think their strategy should be.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #5029
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Guilty as charged. I have absolutely zero ideas for political strategy, and haven't voted Dem since those Mondal and Dukakis days.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #5030
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Both the liberal and moderate wings of the party get too hung up on details when there's general agreement on a lot of issues. Issues that are broadly popular, even. Take the minimum wage, basically all the Dems think it should be increased somewhere to between ten and fifteen dollars an hour.

But instead of everyone agreeing on a message of, "We'll increase the minimum wage," instead everyone fights over exactly how much it should go up. Stop focusing on shit like that until you're actually capable of passing legislation. Now's the time for unity, not purity.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #5031
cuervo72
Head Coach

Rick Perry on supply and demand economics: Supply it, then demand will follow - CBS News

I think the headline on that one is enough.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #5032
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

All's a go for my ass-less khakis!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #5033
molson
General Manager

"Perry may have been referencing Say's law of markets, an economic theory that argues supply is the origin of demand."

Trump needs to hire this writer, she could help clean up all of his speeches and twitter rants.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #5034
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
"Perry may have been referencing Say's law of markets, an economic theory that argues supply is the origin of demand."

Trump needs to hire this writer, she could help clean up all of his speeches and twitter rants.

That would be true if only 'Says law' hadn't been largely discredited by modern economics .... yes it happened and yes it was a theory, but it didn't hold water ... hence its generally accepted that demand drives supply not the other way around.

(which makes perfect sense if you think about it -there are a ton of examples of corporations who 'thought' people would buy their product and made loads only to find they couldn't sell them ... think of Atari's ET game for instance)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-07-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #5035
molson
General Manager

I don't think that's what Perry meant, I just thought it was hilarious that the article author came up with that as an explanation.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:13 AM   #5036
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
Both the liberal and moderate wings of the party get too hung up on details when there's general agreement on a lot of issues. Issues that are broadly popular, even. Take the minimum wage, basically all the Dems think it should be increased somewhere to between ten and fifteen dollars an hour.

But instead of everyone agreeing on a message of, "We'll increase the minimum wage," instead everyone fights over exactly how much it should go up. Stop focusing on shit like that until you're actually capable of passing legislation. Now's the time for unity, not purity.
Let me put my tinfoil hat on (conveniently enough it was already on).

When ineptitude stretches beyond comprehension, with people who ought to understand such things and otherwise seem smart enough to do so....its not likely to be ineptitude. Its an agenda which is not in line with the perceived principles the general public believes to be "Democrat". Most Democrats are neo-liberals, and certainly so in the leadership of the DNC.

The DNC is primarily a platform for corporate sponsored agendas, and secondarily a faux opposition party. Big pharma, big insurance, military industrial complex, big banks, big tech....big everything except oil it seems.

Thats why you don't see people like Pelosi actually putting forward policy like single payer healthcare (didn't even try in 2009), min wage increase, pharmaceutical drug importations, etc. If thats not what a "labor" platform ought to advocate....then wtf is it? She isn't stupid...she and most other Dems are just as bought as the Republicans they rail against. The Dems have become the Republicans who are socially tolerant (or antifa in some cases).

Thats the problem as I see it. There is no counter balance between the elite ruling class and the common people. Corporations and workers. And I say this as somebody who leans heavily towards free market capitalism...which is not the same as the corrupted and legally bribed markets we have (and have had for a long time).

And the best way to distract the DNC's constituency away from their own corruption and purposeful incompetency is...Russia. Its desperate flailing from DNC leaders who are trying to hold onto their control of the DNC.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #5037
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yes, we should abandon the Third Way and join the Brogressives on an ultra-liberal crusade that tells moderates to fuck off. What a brilliant political strategy. Instead of the Hillary-style defeats, we can reclaim the glory days of Mondale and Dukakis!

And how the fuck does Pelosi qualify as "Third Way" anyways?

I think the only thing worse than the political strategy of the Democratic party is what people (particularly the left wing of the party) think their strategy should be.

What does a "moderate" Democrat stand for in your mind? Honest question, not intended to be snarky.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #5038
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Harsh, but fair.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #5039
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty big story. Jr doesn't even deny it. Daddy might have to use his pardon power.

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton - NYTimes.com
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #5040
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Harsh, but fair.

This guy also has a lot to say on the Jews.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #5041
CarterNMA
Mascot

Quote:
Harsh, but fair.

I don't think that is harsh at all. I think he hit every nail right on the head. Trump does not care about anything but himself, his power, his money and maybe his children.

I just wish that Uhlmann was not employed by ABC because he'll be discounted for his connection to U.S. media.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #5042
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Pretty big story. Jr doesn't even deny it. Daddy might have to use his pardon power.

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton - NYTimes.com

So Trump Jr says he met to get info damaging to Clinton, but didn't get any. He was told vague stuff about Clinton's campaign getting money from Russia.

So really, we've literally got the entire election story completely backwards.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #5043
Atocep
Coordinator

It's amazing just how many meetings with Russian contacts took place and were forgotten in just a few months.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #5044
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterNMA View Post
I just wish that Uhlmann was not employed by ABC because he'll be discounted for his connection to U.S. media.

He is employed by ABC, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #5045
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Future Trump tweet today!

So called Donald Trump Jr. claims he's my "son" but I never met him. Why isn't the media talking about Bill Clinton's bastards. SAD.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 AM   #5046
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's amazing just how many meetings with Russian contacts took place and were forgotten in just a few months.

Maybe Russian ambassadors are just really boring?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 AM   #5047
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Future Trump tweet today!

So called Donald Trump Jr. claims he's my "son" but I never met him. Why isn't the media talking about Bill Clinton's bastards. SAD.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #5048
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A short script based on DJT Jr.

Acquaintance: Would you like to come to a meeting with a Russian lawyer?

Jr: Sure.

Acquaintance: Don't you want to know more about...

Jr: Nope. I'll be there.

LATER

Jr: Hey Jared, Paul, want to come to a meeting later with a Russian lawyer?

Paul: What's her name?

Jr: Don't know.

Jared: What's it about?

Jr: Don't know.

Paul/Jared: We'll be there!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #5049
RainMaker
General Manager

Jr is a remarkably stupid individual. How did he not have a lawyer till today? Why would he put out a release before having a lawyer look at it? I guess this is what it'd be like if Paris Hilton tried her hand at politics.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #5050
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is all totally okay.

Quote:
Not long before a major crisis ripped through the Middle East, pitting the United States and a bloc of Gulf countries against Qatar, Jared Kushner’s real estate company had unsuccessfully sought a critical half-billion-dollar investment from one of the richest and most influential men in the tiny nation, according to three well-placed sources with knowledge of the near transaction

Qatar is facing an ongoing blockade led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, and joined by Egypt and Bahrain, which President Trump has taken credit for sparking. Kushner, meanwhile, has reportedly played a key behind-the-scenes role in hardening the U.S. posture toward the embattled nation.