Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #1051
Icy
Pro Starter

A week of no running at all due to a business trip, looking forward to start again next week, hopefully full of energy.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #1052
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
So, after seeing the official numbers posted from my 5K today I bested my previous 5K PR by 0.1 seconds. They recorded to 1/10 of seconds for this one, where the previous run was just to seconds.

I pulled the numbers from the two races. Today I spent 2/3 of my time in Zone 5, where in the previous run I did not have a single second in Zone 5. Average heart rate was 179. I guess I feel good that I probably did not leave much of anything on the course today, but frustrated to not get the 5K time under 25:00.

Every .1 counts! congrats!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #1053
HerRealName
College Prospect

Congrats, HG!
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #1054
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Good stuff, hoopsguy!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #1055
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Race report
Oktoberfest 13.1
October 27th, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Inconsistent training and my mt-dew-and-peanut-butter-cap'n-crunch-only diet did not produce the results I was hoping for. I had been under the illusion that a 2:00 finish was possible, and was able to keep that pace for the first 7 miles. But after that, my legs just absolutely ran out of whatever it is that legs need to keep running. I even had to stop and walk multiple times. Plus, I wasn't ready for hills at all, except for the downhill kind.

Approaching the finish line, crowd cheering on..."alright doug, lets kick this thing into high gear and show the folks how it's done". So I start sprinting, but my legs rebelled against my brain, and my calves cramped into bocce balls. So I limped past the finish line, and almost had to stop altogether. I am hoping that no video surfaces of that moment. 2:13
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1056
hoopsguy
General Manager

Best 10K, best 15K, and (I'm guessing) best half marathon should provide some measure of satisfaction. Even if the legs did run out of Mountain Dew halfway through.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #1057
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Race report
Oktoberfest 13.1
October 27th, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Inconsistent training and my mt-dew-and-peanut-butter-cap'n-crunch-only diet did not produce the results I was hoping for. I had been under the illusion that a 2:00 finish was possible, and was able to keep that pace for the first 7 miles. But after that, my legs just absolutely ran out of whatever it is that legs need to keep running. I even had to stop and walk multiple times. Plus, I wasn't ready for hills at all, except for the downhill kind.

Approaching the finish line, crowd cheering on..."alright doug, lets kick this thing into high gear and show the folks how it's done". So I start sprinting, but my legs rebelled against my brain, and my calves cramped into bocce balls. So I limped past the finish line, and almost had to stop altogether. I am hoping that no video surfaces of that moment. 2:13

Sounds like you just ran out of fuel. Still finishing a half marathon is great, and you have something to improve on next time. Don't be down on it, you did a great job!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #1058
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

if it wasn't for this thread, i probably never would have run a half marathon, and for that i'm grateful.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #1059
Ben E Lou

Quote:
if it wasn't for this thread, i probably never would have run a half marathon, and for that i'm grateful.
And you should be very proud for completing it! Congrats!

I think I want to post daily regarding my marathon training, but I don't want to clutter this thread or even my blog, so I've started a dynasty thread here to serve as my training log: Real-Life Training Log: 125 Days Of Preparation For My First Marathon - Front Office Football Central
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #1060
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

I commented a fairly pedestrian "good job!" on your Strava feed but I do believe it was a good job, an impressive job. I mean, you ran a frigging half marathon! How many people have we all heard about say that "oh yeah, I started running, I'm gonna get in shape!" only to see them post runs on FB or hear about their running for a couple weeks, maybe a month and never hear about it again? huh, how many? Too many!

No matter how infrequent your training was, or how neglected your diet was (I'm not much better btw, although no Mt Dew for me ), you still put in some work toward a goal, running a race that is 13.1 frigging miles! In which you pushed yourself for two frigging hours! That is worth something, something to be proud of.

Keep on running, keep on having fun doing it, mix it up and if you want to, you'll do better next time.

Happy running, life is good

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 10-28-2013 at 10:43 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #1061
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

The Ultimate Motivational Clip - Rise & Shine! - YouTube

I pulled the MP3 of this video and it's now on my iPhone and I think I could listen to it in a loop all day, just awesome...

Quote:
Rise and shine.

6am and your hand can't make it to the alarm clock before the voices in your head start telling you that it's too early, too dark, and too cold to get out of a bed.

Aching muscles lie still in rebellion, pretending not to hear your brain commanding them to move...

A legion of voices are shouting their unanimous permission for you to hit the snooze button and go back to dreamland, but you didn't ask their opinion.

The voice you've chosen to listen to is one of defiance.

A voice that says there was a reason you set that alarm in the first place. So sit up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back because we've got work to do.

Welcome to The Grind!

For what is each day but a series of conflicts between the right way and the easy way, 10,000 streams fan out like a river delta before you, each one promising the path of least resistance.

Thing is, you're headed upstream. And when you make that choice, when you decide to turn your back on what's comfortable and what's safe and what some would call "common sense", well that's day 1. From there it only gets tougher.

So just make sure this is something you want. Because the easy way out will always be there, ready to wash you away, all you have to do is pick up your feet.

But you aren't going to are you?
With each step comes the decision to take another

You're on your way now

But this is no time to dwell on how far you've come. You're in a fight against an opponent you can't see

Oh but you can feel him on your heels can't you?

Feel him breathing down your neck

You know what that is? That's you... Your fears, your doubts and insecurities all lined up like a firing squad ready to shoot you out of the sky

But don't lose heart

While they aren't easily defeated, they are far from invincible

Remember this is The Grind

The Battle Royale between you and your mind, your body and the devil on your shoulder who's telling you that this is just a game, this is just a waste of time, your opponents are stronger than you.

Drown out the voice of uncertainty with the sound of your own heartbeat

Burn away your self doubt with the fire that's beneath you

Remember what you're fighting for

And never forget that momentum is a cruel mistress, She can turn on a dime with the smallest mistake.

She is ever searching for that weak place in your armor

That one tiny thing you forgot to prepare for

So as long as the devil is hiding the details, the question remains,"is that all you got?", "are you sure?"

And when the answer is "yes". That you've done all you can to prepare yourself for battle THEN it's time to go forth and boldly face your enemy, the enemy within
Only now you must take that fight into the open, into hostile territory
You're a lion in a field of lions

All hunting the same elusive prey with a desperate starvation that says VICTORY is the only thing that can keep you alive

So believe that voice that says " you CAN run a little faster " and that " you CAN throw a little harder " and that " you CAN dive a little deeper" and that, for you, the laws of physics are merely a suggestion.

Luck is the last dying wish of those who wanna believe that winning can happen by accident, sweat on the other hand is for those who know it's a choice, so decide now because destiny waits for no man. And when your time comes and a thousand different voices are trying to tell you you're not ready for it, listen instead for that lone voice in decent the one that says you are ready, you are prepared, it's all up to you now.

So rise and shine.

FM
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #1062
Icy
Pro Starter

Nice one FG.

Here is my most motivational video about running, from obese and depressed to Ironman and to appear in runners magazine. the guy has also a nice blog that i read after watching the video a year ago.

Last edited by Icy : 10-28-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #1063
Umbrella
High School Varsity

On Strava, what does GAP stand for? It looks like it takes elevation into account with your pace, but I'm not 100% sure.

Beginning week 2 of my regimen. I'm hoping it starts to get easier. I went to a running shop, and they analyzed my stride and recommended a stability shoe. I will admit, my knees haven't been sore, which is a first. And I have avoided shin splints so far. But the muscles on the outside of my calves start to burn badly about a mile in. I think it is because these muscles haven't been used before due to my stride, and the shoes are forcing them to work harder. The day off between runs is a lifesaver right now, to let them heal a bit.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #1064
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
On Strava, what does GAP stand for? It looks like it takes elevation into account with your pace, but I'm not 100% sure.

Beginning week 2 of my regimen. I'm hoping it starts to get easier. I went to a running shop, and they analyzed my stride and recommended a stability shoe. I will admit, my knees haven't been sore, which is a first. And I have avoided shin splints so far. But the muscles on the outside of my calves start to burn badly about a mile in. I think it is because these muscles haven't been used before due to my stride, and the shoes are forcing them to work harder. The day off between runs is a lifesaver right now, to let them heal a bit.

You are correct, GAP = Grade Adjusted Pace. It is a Strava special value that they use the elevation vs what your expected pace would be if you ran the same effort on level ground. In an attempt to show your effort level and not just how fast you ran.

As for your running, it is perfectly normal for the muscles to be sore after a run, especially if you haven't been running before or for quite some time. Especially when you start up, make sure to take full advantage of the off days to rest and recover, as that is where the most of the improvement comes in , the healing of those muscles.

As you continue to run, over time, the amount you can run will increase the soreness will decrease and the amount of down time needed will decrease as well.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #1065
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

FWIW, I started running just this past May 30th. Had not run since maybe high school, some 25 years ago. At first, I found it hard to even run every 48 hours. The first few steps would sting in my hips but I would warm up and I'd be able to go through with my run. But for most of Summer, I never erally thought about regularly running on back to back days. There were even days follwing a run that I'd dread going to my son's soccer game by fear of simply having to do a light jog.

But it got better after a while and eventually I was able to run on back to back days for only a couple days. Then, the Hal Higdon plan I picked to train for my 18k race had runs on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, then on Saturday & Sunday. I thought I wouldn't be able to handle the midweek stretch but I was. That was back in mid September, so maybe 3 months from my beginnings as a runner. I went at it almost like clockwork all Summer though, every other day, making it a week of 3 runs followed by one of 4 runs. My highest mileage week topped at 26.4 miles, three weeks before my race. I had an easy week last week following the race but will be building on that as I train for Strava's Any Way 10k in four weeks or so. Weather permit, I'll have my first 30 miles week this week, as I go for my first ever run of half marathon length this weekend...

FM
Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #1066
HerRealName
College Prospect

Nice job Doug. Sounds like you gave it your all and that's all you can ask.

On a side note... peanut butter Cap'n Crunch is sounding awfully good right now.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #1067
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

47 degrees for my bike ride today. At one point got up to 34 mph going down a nice steep hill. I think I lost all feeling in my ears at that point. Going to seriously need to find some warmer bike wearing gear.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #1068
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
47 degrees for my bike ride today. At one point got up to 34 mph going down a nice steep hill. I think I lost all feeling in my ears at that point. Going to seriously need to find some warmer bike wearing gear.

ish, yeah biking is rough in the cold... Was 30, felt like 20 according to the local meteo outlet, for my 5:20am run this morning. Bought a pair of sorta/kinda tights from Nike last week and tried for the first time this morning. Awesome! Add to that a baselayer from Columbia that they call Omniheat (it has a sort of foil backing that's supposed to keep your body heat but at the same time wicks away sweat) and I was running with a simple sweatshirt.

Still had to take care where I stepped as we received some snow yesterday and while most of it melted by the ended of the day, there some ice patches left and right on the side of the streets. It's quite dark at 5 am, wouldn't want to start spinning on a patch of ice...

FM
Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1069
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
The Ultimate Motivational Clip - Rise & Shine! - YouTube

I pulled the MP3 of this video and it's now on my iPhone and I think I could listen to it in a loop all day, just awesome...

FM
Love it. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #1070
Subby
lolzcat

I don't know how many folks here are podcast listeners, but there is one I just discovered called Endurance Planet. There is a great episode from 9-6-13 with Dr. Tim Noakes (he did The Lore of Running) and the entire episode is pretty fascinating as he and the host go about debunking myth after myth about nutrition, hydration, and training. Great stuff.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #1071
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I don't know how many folks here are podcast listeners, but there is one I just discovered called Endurance Planet. There is a great episode from 9-6-13 with Dr. Tim Noakes (he did The Lore of Running) and the entire episode is pretty fascinating as he and the host go about debunking myth after myth about nutrition, hydration, and training. Great stuff.
I'm a big podcast listener during my long runs. I'll grab it for this weekend. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #1072
Subby
lolzcat

And just for added mind's-eye candy, here is what the female host of that podcast looks like (middle):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1381379_10151799049420805_550414640_n.jpg (90.6 KB, 88 views)

Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #1073
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, I've been busy a bit so not online as much so might have missed it, but who is Lars? Looks like someone from here, just want to put a name to the screen name so I know who I am rooting on

Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #1074
Ben E Lou

I was wondering the same thing, Alan.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #1075
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I think we might need to do a who's who every once in a while in the strava club to match up names and screen names.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #1076
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm thinking maybe corbes = Lars.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #1077
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hit 20 pounds lost today. Paltry compared to what Ben has achieved, but I feel pretty good about it. Halfway to my goal weight (mid-170s).

Code:
Week 0 213.4 1 211.2 2 211.0 3 210.8 4 208.2 5 209.0 6 209.1 7 209.2 8 209.4 9 210.6 10 210.0 11 209.6 12 210.6 13 208.2 14 206.2 15 205.2 16 203.2 17 204.0 18 200.0 19 200.2 20 200.0 21 200.0 22 202.0 23 202.0 24 199.0 25 199.2 26 199.2 27 198.4 28 197.6 29 199.6 30 199.4 31 199.2 32 200.4 33 196.6 34 195.8 35 195.2 36 193.4

Last edited by Kodos : 11-01-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #1078
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
...Paltry compared to what Ben has achieved...
Ideally, one should never put themselves in the position to achieve what I've achieved, weight-loss wise. Good job!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #1079
Ben E Lou

I created a screen name post over there and filled in the ones that I know. Please jump in and post your name there or here.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #1080
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I think we might need to do a who's who every once in a while in the strava club to match up names and screen names.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #1081
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Ideally, one should never put themselves in the position to achieve what I've achieved, weight-loss wise. Good job!

True. If I lost what you've lost, I'd be knocking on death's door.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #1082
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

[quote=Kodos;2869601]I hit 20 pounds lost today. Paltry compared to what Ben has achieved, but I feel pretty good about it. Halfway to my goal weight (mid-170s).

wow awesome!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #1083
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

awesome indeed Kodos! well done!

FM
Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #1084
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great job Kodos! Just like running, weight loss isn't a competition between other people, it is a competition with your goals. Right now you're winning. keep it up!

Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #1085
Subby
lolzcat

Good to be not only back out on the bike but on the new (to me) Major Jake. Temperature was perfect and the rain MADE ME KNOW IT WAS REAL.

Here is a terrible pic of my bike as I was pulling it to the freight elevator. That's how much I love this bike. I WILL POST TERRIBLE PHOTOS OF IT.

Yes, I am elated to be back out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-11-01 11.36.52-2.jpg (85.2 KB, 75 views)

Old 11-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #1086
Kodos
Resident Alien

She's a beaut!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #1087
digamma
Torchbearer

Signed up last minute for a 10-k this morning.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #1088
digamma
Torchbearer

On the positive side I have a sub 40 minute time in something labeled a 10-K race.

On the negative side, the course measured about .4 miles short.

Probably didn't run the smartest race given I haven't run six miles at one time since late July but cumulative fitness still does wonders. Went out way too fast and tried to voluntarily slow down a bit. Then I involuntarily slowed in miles 4 and 5. Felt better toward the end.

Time for a finish line beer. Unofficial time of 39:33 for something like 5.8 miles.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #1089
HerRealName
College Prospect

Wow, that is really fast. Do you think your GPS could just be off?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #1090
hoopsguy
General Manager

Congrats to Kodos on his weight loss and digamma for posting a damn fast run.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #1091
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I lengthened my walk/run today, and a couple of hours after I was done, the inside of my thigh was sore. I took a look at it, and I have a nice rash. I am putting some A&D ointment on it for now, but since my fat thighs won't be skinny any time soon, does anybody have any suggestions how to prevent this?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #1092
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I lengthened my walk/run today, and a couple of hours after I was done, the inside of my thigh was sore. I took a look at it, and I have a nice rash. I am putting some A&D ointment on it for now, but since my fat thighs won't be skinny any time soon, does anybody have any suggestions how to prevent this?

This happened to me quite often when I first started running, especially when I was a good 70 pounds heavier than now. At first I started using body glide before every run on the insides of my thighs and that helped remove the chafing.

Since then, some friends clued me in on wearing under armor 9 inch boxer briefs under my running shorts. Those are the most comfortable things for me ever.. I wear them every run now and haven't had a problem with chafing since then at all.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #1093
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Since then, some friends clued me in on wearing under armor 9 inch boxer briefs under my running shorts. Those are the most comfortable things for me ever.. I wear them every run now and haven't had a problem with chafing since then at all.

Can you get these at Target or something similar, or do I need to go to a sporting goods store? I think my cotton boxer briefs bunched up while I was running, and that was the biggest culprit.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #1094
Ben E Lou

In awe of the digamma speed as always.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #1095
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Can you get these at Target or something similar, or do I need to go to a sporting goods store? I think my cotton boxer briefs bunched up while I was running, and that was the biggest culprit.

http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Perform...3437259&sr=1-1

These are great for my meaty thighs... the underwear, not the dude's package.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #1096
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I got mine at the local sporting goods store for $20, but they can be bought on Amazon as well

Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #1097
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Unofficial time of 39:33 for something like 5.8 miles.

I left before the awards ceremony yesterday (trip to the zoo!), but this was good enough for 14th out of 335 finishers and 1st out of 36 35-39 year olds--my first time winning my age group.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #1098
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's awesome! Congratulations!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #1099
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I ran my 5 miles yesterday morning. Before I left for the football game I noticed pain in my right ankle...wrapping under my foot and climbing up the side of my calf.

It numbed with the weather I suppose and I didn't really feel it in the evening.

Today I've been non stop limping. I had to wrap it to coach on the field of my youth football team today. It feels like a knot in the arch of my foot...and I still have the pain that wraps around the bottom of my foot from the ankle.

I still did my 40 minutes of cardio today. Tomorrow is a scheduled day off.

I'm supposed to run Tuesday. This junk better be gone by then.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #1100
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I ran my 5 miles yesterday morning. Before I left for the football game I noticed pain in my right ankle...wrapping under my foot and climbing up the side of my calf.

It numbed with the weather I suppose and I didn't really feel it in the evening.

Today I've been non stop limping. I had to wrap it to coach on the field of my youth football team today. It feels like a knot in the arch of my foot...and I still have the pain that wraps around the bottom of my foot from the ankle.

I still did my 40 minutes of cardio today. Tomorrow is a scheduled day off.

I'm supposed to run Tuesday. This junk better be gone by then.

With those type of pains, you want to take it carefully to make sure you don't make it worse or you may be sidelined for far longer. Make sure to RICE (Rest, Ice it, Compression, and Elevate it) and give it a little time.

A day or three off now is better than two weeks later.