Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #151
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Tri-dola,

I think USC's D is pretty tired. Frankly, the offense has been so good, and the defense has been so poor tackling, that the defense has been out there a lot. So they're tired from that. And also, those 'SC kids feel like it's midnight now (which is the time here). I'll bet Lane's gotta curfew for his players at around this time--and they're still playing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #152
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sorry about that, that'd be the Georgia State Panthers, under head coach Bill Curry. GSU wins 41-7, as they should against an NAIA opponent but it's still a big deal for them to get that first game under their belt.

I'm unfortunately rooting for their failure because their posters on the CAA message boards are delusional and obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'm unfortunately rooting for their failure because their posters on the CAA message boards are delusional and obnoxious.

Eh, they're already referring to themselves as the #2 football program in Georgia, how much worse could they really be acting on the CAA boards?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-03-2010 at 07:01 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #154
tarcone
Coordinator

Getting ready to take off for Iowa City. Going to Fryfest tonight and then to the Iowa/Eastern Illinois game tomorrow.

GO HAWKS!
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #155
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Eh, they're already referring to themselves as the #2 football program in Georgia, how much worse could they really be acting on the CAA boards?

Exactly.

Just mess about how they're going to dominate from day 1, how they're too good for the CAA and will soon be I-A, etc, etc.

Can't wait for them to start league play. The CAA, as we like to say, is the "SEC of I-AA". They are going to take an ass-beating for a few years. I'm not saying they won't be good eventually, but the cockiness with them thinking they will be relevant from day 1 is obnoxious.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #156
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You're talking about them and their first game isn't 24 hours old, so...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #157
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

USC's defense is not good at all. Matt Barkley looks like a future franchise QB for some NFL team.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #158
miked
College Starter

A PIT loss is a sweet way to start the season.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #159
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
...and extend it to all the other athletics programs. And, give the basketball program a lifetime ban while we're at it. (Seriously, this whole thing is coming undone because it's the football program. Roy could have mass murderers on his basketball team and nothing would come of it.)

In case you missed the reference, in '82 when Clemson was placed on 2 year NCAA probation the UNC AD made a motion at the ACC meetings to add 1 year as an ACC punishment. There was mixed reviews so the UNC AD made a motion that a vote be held and Clemson reps be required to leave the room so they would not know who voted how.....The vote was held, the year was added...and 3 straight beat downs of UNC resulted despite Clemson being an underdog in all 3. part of the speech included the phrase, "We have to geet thee message into the backwoods off SC and GA that those cheaters will never flourish"...thats is a phrase that is still fairly prominent in the CU AD
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #160
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man, USCs defense looked horrible, has me excited to play them and see what Locker and Sark can do.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #161
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wow. You are like 5 minutes away. Thats crazy.
Dear tarcone,

Sorry about destroying your high school team.

Love,

Poli and the Desoto Dragons
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #162
digamma
Torchbearer

From a press release on UNC's Scout site, 12 players will miss the LSU game.

6 are ineligible
Austin, Little, CB Brown, CB Burney, DE McAdoo, DE Quinn

6 are being held back as a precaution, but are not ineligible at this time
DE Euwell, S Gupton, RB Houston, RB Draughn, S Searcy, S Scott
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #163
Ksyrup

I think it's funny that Kiffin over-reacted to the possibility of camp injuries by not allowing guys to hit each other/tackle, and they continued that theme right into their first game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

See, now they're just trying to run up the score. They've already clinched the Fulmer Cup.

Warrant issued for arrest of UGA safety Ogletree | UGA sports blog
University of Georgia Police took out a warrant Thursday for the arrest of Georgia freshman football player Alec Ogletree on a charge of theft by taking.

UGA Police Lt. Eric Dellinger confirmed to the AJC this morning that the warrant was issued but said further details would have to come from UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson, who was not immediately available.

Ogletree, a safety, is a highly touted member of Georgia’s 2010 signing class.

According to the Red and Black, UGA’s student newspaper, the warrant stems from a June 15 incident in which a student reported a $35 helmet was taken from the Rankin Smith Center on campus.

Ogletree would be the ninth Georgia football player arrested this year.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-03-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

"Theft by taking"?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
"Theft by taking"?

As opposed to "theft by deception" or "theft by conversion".
(I'm guessing that's what you were asking about)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #167
Ksyrup

They should just add "theft by UGA football player" to the statutes and be done with it.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
They should just add "theft by UGA football player" to the statutes and be done with it.

On the bright side, it makes the work of local police a good bit easier
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #169
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Heh, yeah, just seemed an odd way to term the crime (and I knew they were taking that straight from the police, that it wasn't a journalistic decision to call it that).

Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #170
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
From a press release on UNC's Scout site, 12 players will miss the LSU game.

6 are ineligible
Austin, Little, CB Brown, CB Burney, DE McAdoo, DE Quinn

6 are being held back as a precaution, but are not ineligible at this time
DE Euwell, S Gupton, RB Houston, RB Draughn, S Searcy, S Scott

ESPN's article also adds this:

Quote:
North Carolina, ranked 18th, also is working with the NCAA today to determine the eligibility status of three other unnamed players who will not travel to Atlanta for the Chick-fil-A kickoff.

So the real number is 15 then, but 12 named?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #171
Ksyrup

I guess to answer my own question, from Heather Dinich's blog - yes. 15 players altogether.

Kinda sucks as it ruins what could have been one of the better games of the weekend:

Quote:
The Tar Heels will be missing their leading receiver, the top three rushers (Little was third), the top two punt returners, two of the top three interception leaders, and two of the top four tacklers. The two-deep on the preseason depth chart at running back, strong safety and right defensive end will now start with the third-string player or others will have to be moved around.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #172
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Is that announcer really talking up Mike Garrett right now?

Glad I went to bed before that shit or I might have thrown something at my TV.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #173
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Or theft by inception.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #174
wade moore
lolzcat

On UNC - any word on how long these suspensions last, etc?

Extra bitter about UNC screwing W&M and moving the game to October. This was supposed to be W&M @ UNC, but late last season they worked this deal with LSU and moved the W&M game. We could really have a shot at defeating them with all of these suspensions.

Anyway - curious how long they could last and if it could impact our game against them.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #175
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Fun "food for thought"--UCLA runs this same offense UH is running.

Same formation, not same offense. Hawaii runs the "Run & Shoot"
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #176
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Same formation, not same offense. Hawaii runs the "Run & Shoot"

Hawaii also utilized the Pistol quite a bit last night.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #177
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Extra bitter about UNC screwing W&M and moving the game to October. This was supposed to be W&M @ UNC, but late last season they worked this deal with LSU and moved the W&M game. We could really have a shot at defeating them with all of these suspensions.

More like they worked the deal out with Chik-Fil-A Bowl people. It's the "kickoff" game, not just a regular home and home. It's primetime on network TV on the first weekend of the season. Can't blame anyone for moving a 1AA game for that.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #178
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
On UNC - any word on how long these suspensions last, etc?

Anyway - curious how long they could last and if it could impact our game against them.

"The number of games that those 12 student-athletes may miss has not been determined at this time. The investigation continues to include both agent-related and academic issues."

My guess is that Austin and Little are out for the season. Haven't read much about the others.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #179
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
More like they worked the deal out with Chik-Fil-A Bowl people. It's the "kickoff" game, not just a regular home and home. It's primetime on network TV on the first weekend of the season. Can't blame anyone for moving a 1AA game for that.

Oh, I agree - I'm just bitter .

Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #180
Swaggs
Coordinator

You have to think that Austin and Little are done. If they kept Dez Bryant out for the entire season, those two have to be toast.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #181
Ksyrup

So the other 3 UNC players not named that didn't make the trip were 2 starting LBs and a starting S. That's 8 defensive starters out and 11 of the top 23 on the defensive depth chart, plus the top 3 rushers last year, out for this game at least. Wow.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #182
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

USC had better figure some things out on defense quickly, or they're going to give up some ugly scores come Pac-10 time...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NCAA reverses field, Masoli eligible for Saturday after all

http://www.foxsportssouth.com/09/03/...45&feedID=4354

Disgusting ruling AFAIC, even when the NCAA gets something right they manage to get something wrong.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-03-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #184
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

All Systems GO...

Disgusting ruling AFAIC, even when the NCAA gets something right they manage to get something wrong.

Agreed, pretty unbelievable that a guy can go to Ole Miss after all these legal problems, register to take PRM 600 'Issues and Trends in Park and Recreation Programs' and magically qualify to play QB for the Rebs.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #185
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

All Systems GO...

The ruling was correct. Direct your anger not at the NCAA's decision, but at their rule that allowed him to transfer without penalty - they created the loophole, and while we may all feel like it's a joke of a rule, better to enforce the rule as written and then change the rule than rule incorrectly.

For someone that seems to otherwise be such a stickler to laws and rules, your position on this matter seems hypocritical.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #186
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The ruling was correct. Direct your anger not at the NCAA's decision, but at their rule that allowed him to transfer without penalty - they created the loophole, and while we may all feel like it's a joke of a rule, better to enforce the rule as written and then change the rule than rule incorrectly.

For someone that seems to otherwise be such a stickler to laws and rules, your position on this matter seems hypocritical.

A wee bit harsh here, don't you think?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

As a voluntary membership organization, the bounds of common sense would certainly seem to designate the NCAA as the most capable judge of the intent its own rules.

What failed them here was their courage, not their judgment.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #188
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As a voluntary membership organization, the bounds of common sense would certainly seem to designate the NCAA as the most capable judge of the intent its own rules.

What failed them here was their courage, not their judgment.
I know this will come as a big shock to you, but I disagree. If the rule is written so ambiguously as to allow for a grievous violation of the spirit of the rule, than re-write the rule. Regardless of Masoli's past, it's unfair to present the rules for what he needs to do to transfer without losing a year and when he meets those requirements, then come in and say "Well, that's not in the spirit of how we meant for that exemption to be used". It was the NCAA's mistake in how they wrote the rules in the first place.

And believe me, this is coming from someone that thinks Masoli is an idiot thug, and that was disgusted when Ole Miss offered to take him on. I have no bias towards Masoli in the slightest.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #189
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A wee bit harsh here, don't you think?
Really? Is it not a hypocritical stance? Is it wrong to point out hypocrisy when it happens?

I was honestly quite struck at how someone who has so frequently argued in favor of strict adherence to rules and laws in other issues is deviating from that kind of view in this particular case.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I If the rule is written so ambiguously as to allow for a grievous violation of the spirit of the rule, than re-write the rule.

I'm sure that will get a hard look, but in the meantime, I believe they certainly should be allowed to interpret their own rules as they see fit.

FTR, I don't mind your question at all (not entirely thrilled with the somewhat combative tone, but whatever). I simply feel like there's a legitimate distinction here between this situation & the large majority of the instances where I've backed rule of law/rule of rules.

Ever notice that I'm not really a member of the "raise hell about FOFC moderation" crowd? That's not accidental, and it's for reasons similar to my feelings here; basically "their house, their rules".
Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #191
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure that will get a hard look, but in the meantime, I believe they certainly should be allowed to interpret their own rules as they see fit.
It's their right to, but it doesn't make it fair to the player affected. He's supposed to know the spirit of the rule when the rule, as written, as wide-open?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #192
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently Monty's "Tampa 2" means that you only are supposed to cover two WR's, even if there are four lined up on the line.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #193
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Apparently Monty's "Tampa 2" means that you only are supposed to cover two WR's, even if there are four lined up on the line.
A well-executed run and shoot offense with all of the on-the-fly route options can really exploit zone defenses. Credit Hawaii for executing well - the WR's did a good job finding the open spots in the zone and the QB's did a good job delivering the ball at the right time.

That said, those DB's did a poor job of reacting to those receivers and closing off the gaps, and an even worse job of tackling in the open field. And the USC DL didn't get enough pressure on Hawaii. I think they got tentative after Moniz burned them early for not keeping pocket containment with some big runs, and afterward they were a little more hesitant in their pass rush.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #194
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really? Is it not a hypocritical stance? Is it wrong to point out hypocrisy when it happens?

I was honestly quite struck at how someone who has so frequently argued in favor of strict adherence to rules and laws in other issues is deviating from that kind of view in this particular case.

Not commenting on your point. I just thought you were a bit too over the top and should maybe consider dialing it down a little.

Not that Jon can't take it.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #195
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Had a great time at the USC Hawaii game last nite. Wow what a game. Proud of the way Hawaii played, and USC's offense tore us up, and USC's D looked like pop warner kids.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #196
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, I also got news from a good friend that I may get use of a photographers pass for future Hawaii games this season and will be on the field!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #197
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Some pics! (not on the field this game, but I was able to get pretty close)

Barkley? NO It's fofc favorite Mitch Mustain! and some other trojans

Go Moniz!

Kickoff!

Coach Kiffin and his Prom Date
Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's their right to, but it doesn't make it fair to the player affected. He's supposed to know the spirit of the rule when the rule, as written, as wide-open?

Yeah, I'd say anyone with at least a 3-digit IQ should know that the rule wasn't designed for a player to use the way this p.o.s. did.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #199
digamma
Torchbearer

Today is better than Christmas.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #200
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

UW has gone from +3 to a pick em game against BYU. I am a little nervous so many people are picking us.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote