Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

Could I be having a slow onset stroke?

Or something?

I have a very minor headache, but the last couple of days light has been bothering me a bit, like I'm having problems staring at my computer screen for long periods....

and whenever I bend over, or tilt my head downward for more than a second or 2, part of my face starts tingling and going partially numb. It starts behind my right eye, and spreads to the right side of my face, just to the right of my nose, above my lip and near my cheek. It's a small area, and the numbness seems confined to that area. It actually seems a bit better today than it did yesterday. No matter how long I stay in that position, the numbness doesn't really grow or become pronounced. Just a sort of odd tingling. And then I get a very faint metallic taste in my mouth... both of these type of things I have heard are symptoms of a stroke. But is there even such a thing as a slow onset stroke?

So, am I going to die? Should that be a poll question? I guess I should just go to my doctor, but then I know it's going to be MRI time... and I would really hate to have to pay $600 I don't have for nothing.

Oh well, carry on.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not a doctor, but it sounds like my migraine headaches to me.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Not a doctor, but it sounds like my migraine headaches to me.

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Or something?

I have a very minor headache, but the last couple of days light has been bothering me a bit, like I'm having problems staring at my computer screen for long periods....

and whenever I bend over, or tilt my head downward for more than a second or 2, part of my face starts tingling and going partially numb. It starts behind my right eye, and spreads to the right side of my face, just to the right of my nose, above my lip and near my cheek. It's a small area, and the numbness seems confined to that area. It actually seems a bit better today than it did yesterday. No matter how long I stay in that position, the numbness doesn't really grow or become pronounced. Just a sort of odd tingling. And then I get a very faint metallic taste in my mouth... both of these type of things I have heard are symptoms of a stroke. But is there even such a thing as a slow onset stroke?

So, am I going to die? Should that be a poll question? I guess I should just go to my doctor, but then I know it's going to be MRI time... and I would really hate to have to pay $600 I don't have for nothing.

Oh well, carry on.

It sounds like something is compromising a small area of the trigeminal nerve (5th cranial nerve) and possibly the 7th cranial nerve as well. That is a somewhat odd area to be impinged, but they do pass through a few structures together. The good news is that if those are your only symptoms, it is highly unlikely to be a stroke (in theory it could be a small lacunar infarct, but if you can precipitate it with movement that is not even on the differential.)

The bad news is that this is something that is significant enough that I would try to go to a doctor as soon as possible, if for no other reason to put my mind to ease. With this being confined to a specific division of the trigeminal nerve (from your description), I doubt it is a migraine although that is a possibility. Good luck.

Edit: It sounds like the maxillary branch of the trigeminal nerve. It was bugging me that I couldn't remember the branch's name, so I looked it up.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-19-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the responses... if anyone else has anything to add, I'd love to hear any possible causes or if anyone else has experienced this. I have never had migraines before, so didn't know if they would affect just part of the face, or if that kind of numbness would affect the entire head. Also, I kind of thought it might be a nerve thing since the numbness only occure when I bend my head forward, essentially.

I don't know what to think really. I guess that's what doctors are for.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

FYI, Eaglesfan27 IS a doctor, although I'm sure he'd be the first to add that diagnosing over the internet isn't the most accurate or dependable form. Go see one live.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I'll probably end up seeing one soon. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
FYI, Eaglesfan27 IS a doctor, although I'm sure he'd be the first to add that diagnosing over the internet isn't the most accurate or dependable form. Go see one live.

Yeah, I hope my post stressed how important it is that I think this be followed up by a doctor in person (preferably soon.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-19-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, when I said "that's what doctors are for", I really meant "that's what live in-person doctor visits are for", not "that's what extremely nice and knowledgeable but far away and taking a stab without an examination doctors are for".
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
Drake
assmaster

Um, those symptoms are also remarkably similar to mine when I had spinal meningitis. You need to get this checked out ASAP.

You'll probably have to get a spinal tap, but they're not really so bad after you've had a few of them. I'm halfway to my ST merit badge.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

Update: Saw a doctor 2 weeks ago, and he sent me for X-Rays to see if I had a disc or something out of place or pinching a nerve. The X-Rays came back totally normal.

However, as I did not like the doctor very much, I'm going to see another for any follow-up or further care. So, it's likely not a muscle pinching a nerve, or a pinched nerve in my neck (although I don't know how you could tell if a nerve was being pinched by an X-Ray). I'll probably be going to a new doctor in the upcoming weeks.

I could tell you were all on pins and needles, so I thought I'd finally give you an update.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
primelord
Pro Rookie

The funny thing about this thread is that after EaglesFan27 responded you asked for additional thoughts from the board. I believe EF is the only doctor on the board (I could be wrong) is there really anything any of us could say after a doctor already responded that would be more useful?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #13
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
So, am I going to die?
Yes
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

I think what I was looking for was anybody who had known anyone, or themselves had similar symptoms. And someone did say "hey, that's what happened when I got spinal meningitis."

But yeah, I see what you're saying. I should've just titled the thread "PING: Eaglesfan27".