Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #1751
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wentz to Colts for a third round pick and conditional 2nd rounder that could turn into a 1st

Last edited by Thomkal : 02-18-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #1752
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That feels close enough to fair value. The conditional pick helps make the trade. If Reich turns him back into the old Wentz, then a 1st and 3rd is great for Indy.

If he's just unfixable damaged goods at this point, then a 2nd and 3rd to kick the tires is still probably worth the shot.

I'd certainly keep Brissett on the roster or add another Andy-Dalton-level veteran to push Wentz and to be there in case shit goes really badly with him.

So do the Eagles roll with Hurts or are they in the market for a QB now?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-18-2021 at 10:58 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #1753
molson
General Manager

Wentz was worse in 2020 than Brissett was in 2019. This is a downgrade for the Colts if we go by recent performance. But there is an idea out there that last season just doesn't count for Wentz. Not because of injury, just because he was really upset or something?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #1754
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the answer is we really don't know.

Have we ever seen a QB go from MVP-level (which he was at his peak) to not-good-enough-to-start for no apparent reason? It did not seem to be injury related. It isn't age related. It's kind of strange. He just stopped playing competent football.

So, is that fixable? Who knows. But I guess if I were to think of a guy to fix it, I'd pick the guy who was coaching him when he was good and then left before he started to suck.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #1755
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So basically the Colts still don't have a QB on their roster.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #1756
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wentz getting the shot to play with a coach he likes, play indoors like he did in college, and get out of the cesspool in Philly? Priceless.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #1757
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I'd certainly keep Brissett on the roster or add another Andy-Dalton-level veteran to push Wentz and to be there in case shit goes really badly with him.

Wentz calls the shots now, I don't think he wants any competition. The Eagles hurt his feelings having Hurts on the team, and he won't let that happen again, damn it.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #1758
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Thank fucking god the Bears didn't get Wentz.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #1759
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Wentz calls the shots now, I don't think he wants any competition. The Eagles hurt his feelings having Hurts on the team, and he won't let that happen again, damn it.

If Indy goes into this with no safety net b/c they don't want to hurt his precious little feelings? Then they deserve every 1-15 season that they have coming to them.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #1760
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Thank fucking god the Bears didn't get Wentz.

Heard you guys might have a job opening up here . . .

Old 02-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #1761
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If Indy goes into this with no safety net b/c they don't want to hurt his precious little feelings? Then they deserve every 1-15 season that they have coming to them.

I guess I was exaggerating a bit but he did throw a tantrum over Hurts and some think that killed his confidence, resulting in him sucking. He should now be in a part of his career where he's competing with others. But I don't know if he accepts that, or how he'll handle the Colts reasonably investing in another QB.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #1762
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Assuming this is accurate (always a risk I guess), it's an interesting and quote possibly educational bit of trivia

Paul Hembekides
@PaulHembo
·
Feb 11
Below is a comprehensive list of QBs drafted in the top 5 that were traded up for:

Sam Darnold
Mitchell Trubisky
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Robert Griffin III
Mark Sanchez
Michael Vick
Ryan Leaf
Jeff George
Steve Bartkowski

Don't reach!
Old 02-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #1763
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bartkowski was at least a solid QB, with a couple of Pro Bowl seasons. It seems like his injury in 1984 ended his days as an effective NFL QB.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Professional career

Bartkowski was chosen with the first overall pick in the 1975 NFL Draft, ahead of Walter Payton, by the Atlanta Falcons and was the NFL Rookie of the Year as well as The Sporting News NFC Rookie of the Year in 1975. He was the first client of sports agent Leigh Steinberg.

Bartkowski is one of ten quarterbacks in NFL history who have achieved consecutive 30-touchdown passing seasons (1980 and 1981) at least one time in their career. Bartkowski was selected to the Pro Bowl after both the 1980 and 1981 seasons and was selected 2nd Team All-NFC following the 1980 campaign. Bartkowski led the NFL in passing in 1983 with a passer rating of 97.6.[3][4] Bartkowski set the record for consecutive games with at least three touchdown passes at home with five which he established over the 1980 and 1981 seasons. The record was held until the 2004 season when it was surpassed by Peyton Manning.

In 1984, Bartkowski started the Falcons' first 11 games, but was injured late in the season and replaced by Mike Moroski. Bartkowski began 1985 as the starter, but an 0-5 start led to his benching and losing the job to David Archer. The Falcons cut him at season's end.

The Los Angeles Rams signed Bartkowski in the 1986 pre-season when holdover Dieter Brock suffered a season- (and career-) ending injury. Bartkowski started six of the Rams' first seven games and the team was 4-2 in those games, but Bartkowski was largely ineffective and lost the starting job to Steve Dils. The Rams would eventually turn the reins over to rookie Jim Everett. Bartkowski retired after the 1986 season.

Bartkowski was inducted into the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame on May 19, 2007.[5]

Vick also was doing well until the whole dogfighting thing came out. But, yeah, that list does provide a warning to others wanting to trade up. Do so at your own peril.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #1764
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Bartkowski was at least a solid QB, with a couple of Pro Bowl seasons. It seems like his injury in 1984 ended his days as an effective NFL QB.

Yeah, but when Bart and Wentz (or Goff, pick either I guess) are the ceilings for those kind of tradeups it's certainly a Proceed With Caution sign.

I won't crap on Bartkowski, he went into an atrocious situation and did the best he could with it prior to injury
Old 02-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #1765
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So my understanding is that for the Eagles to get a 1st round pick, Wentz has to play 75% of the snaps, or 70% if the Colts make the playoffs.

I'm definitely very wary of this deal as a Colts fan.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #1766
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm so hoping for the controversy of Indy benching Wentz for the last game because they've already sealed their playoff spot.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #1767
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm so hoping for the controversy of Indy benching Wentz for the last game because they've already sealed their playoff spot.

Ha, first thing I thought of. Or they are well out of the playoffs, and bench Wentz early to accomplish the same.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #1768
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, but when Bart and Wentz (or Goff, pick either I guess) are the ceilings for those kind of tradeups it's certainly a Proceed With Caution sign.

I won't crap on Bartkowski, he went into an atrocious situation and did the best he could with it prior to injury

His Falcons were my first true favorite NFL team. Loved watching Bartkowski, William Andrews, Gerald Riggs, and Billly "White Shoes" Johnson play.

One of my all-time favorite plays:

1983 San Fancisco 49ers Vs. Atlanta Falcons_ Hail Mary - YouTube

Last edited by Kodos : 02-18-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #1769
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So my understanding is that for the Eagles to get a 1st round pick, Wentz has to play 75% of the snaps, or 70% if the Colts make the playoffs.

I'm definitely very wary of this deal as a Colts fan.

So, if things don't work out, the Colts will have to bench Wentz for the last 5-6 games to keep their first round pick? Yeah, that will work out well...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #1770
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Easy to see Wentz thriving again now that he left that awful city and franchise.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #1771
cuervo72
Head Coach

Say what you will about the city (though, truly, get bent); I'm not sure how anyone can claim the Eagles are an awful franchise.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #1772
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow! About that $33.8M dead cap hit.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #1773
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

What are people's thoughts on the odds of Roethlisberger being the starter next season in Pittsburgh? At this point, if I had to put money on it, I would bet on Dwayne Haskins being the Week 1 starter for the Steelers.

Having said that, it doesn't seem like Big Ben plans on retiring. Where does he end up then?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #1774
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure Haskins ever plays well, but he's in the perfect place. I've always thought his style was a lot like Ben.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #1775
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah it certainly sounds like that is heading for a rocky divorce, although I think Rudolph is the starter over Haskins every day of the week.

I guess the Bears are the logical place for Ben assuming they don’t get Watson as they’ve been in on every QB so far and seem to want to upgrade at any cost... I can also see him in Jets green and being worse than Darnold and there being a huge controversy. That feels like a Jets thing to do.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #1776
Thomkal
Head Coach

Guess we need to do an off-season thread now:

JJ Watt to my beloved Cardinals-2 years, 31 million.

Not sure how I feel about this only because I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank
Old 03-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #1777
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cards gave up no draft picks and gave no long-term cap commitment.

The opportunity cost is whoever else they could have spent the money on this offseason. JJ Watt is probably a better bet than anyone else, even if age/injury makes it a bit of a risk.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #1778
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Basically, if they had traded a second-round pick for Watt. Or given him 5 years with big guaranteed money, then I'd be skeptical. But that's a pretty team-friendly way to try and get one more great year out of him.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #1779
QuikSand
lolzcat

ok, alb, you're talking me into not hating this deal i guess
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #1780
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I think that’s a pretty decent punt if you can fit it under the cap. His headline stats slipped but his underlying numbers were still really strong last year, in an absolute train wreck of a situation. And with his work ethic I think even if he’s never a 10+ sack guy again he’s still strong enough against the run and a great presence in the locker room, so it’s a good deal.

The injuries are what you are worried about more than the talent but assuming this doesn’t cause the Cards major cap issues, I think it’s a bit of a coup for them considering he was supposedly wanting to only go to a proven contender.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #1781
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The way things are going in Bears news cycle, I give it another few days until an 'Insider' links the Bears to Joe Montana.