Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #14701
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Why do the new KFC commercials with fake Colonel Sanders fill me with such rage?

Thanks for reminding me.
For anyone here in marketing can you please explain to things to me.

1- KFC had a recent campaign about boneless chicken where they kept saying "He ate the bones". Saying someone is eating the bones implies that there are bones in your chicken, which is the exact opposite of the message you are supposedly trying to get across.

2- The new "baseball ad". The colonel character says (paraphrasing) if there are 2 things Im sure of its 1) Baseball will always be free of scandal and 2) our food tastes good. Ok, the baseball free of scandal is obviously an immediate falsehood. So am I as the consumer to also infer that likewise the good tasting food is also a falsehood?

I admit marketing is the one area of business that I have always been fascinated by and weakest at. We hired a couple marketing firms when I had my business and I was always amazed at the things they focused on, and frankly, the results they got. So I dont claim to even know what the hell Im talking about, but both of these commercials seem to disparage the product they are supposed to promote.

Is this a marketing strategy?

Can anyone help explain this to my poor dumbass?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #14702
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Your Buick is so generic that it can't be picked out of a lineup"

Last edited by stevew : 06-08-2015 at 10:25 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #14703
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
"Your Buick is so generic that it can't be picked out of a lineup"

I fucking despise that advert. Not only is it completely ludicrous that people in million dollar mansions or dining at expensive restaurants with suited valets want a Buick but the entire premise of the advert is 100% wrong - the car looks shitty, plastic and exactly like a Buick
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #14704
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Thanks for reminding me.

1- KFC had a recent campaign about boneless chicken where they kept saying "He ate the bones". Saying someone is eating the bones implies that there are bones in your chicken, which is the exact opposite of the message you are supposedly trying to get across.

2- The new "baseball ad". The colonel character says (paraphrasing) if there are 2 things Im sure of its 1) Baseball will always be free of scandal and 2) our food tastes good. Ok, the baseball free of scandal is obviously an immediate falsehood. So am I as the consumer to also infer that likewise the good tasting food is also a falsehood?

I admit marketing is the one area of business that I have always been fascinated by and weakest at. We hired a couple marketing firms when I had my business and I was always amazed at the things they focused on, and frankly, the results they got. So I dont claim to even know what the hell Im talking about, but both of these commercials seem to disparage the product they are supposed to promote.

The person saying he ate the bones doesn't know it's boneless.

Not familiar with the second, I despise the new colonel. Though I agree based on your description. Bad marketing ploy.

As for adds I question, the one where the guy keeps saying he won't do something and then does it. It ends with him saying he'll never let go. That must mean the next day he goes " Hungry Heart" and goes out for a ride and never comes back.

Also hate the annoying woman in the Allstate commercial. Just because you didn't get in an accident for six months doesn't disprove the guy's statement...

...and don't even get me started on that creepy State Farm commercial.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:21 AM   #14705
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me.

First & foremost, you remembered the ad AND you knew who it was for. If you're a typical consumer (okay, scratch that ) ... a typical consumer has less recall of most food spots than that.

Now, that baseball spot. The press release about the campaign said it “will playfully explore the juxtaposition between the Colonel’s heyday and modern culture,”.

I believe the takeaway -- perhaps subliminally at least -- is something along the lines of "dammit, the world has gone to hell ... but the chicken is still finger lickin' good"
Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 AM   #14706
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

<--- This asshole just forgot his key in the ignition, turned to the accessory setting for 6 hours. I'll add this to my list of unforced errors in car ownership, alongside locking my keys in the car while it was running twice and locking them in the car another time when it was not running but while it had groceries in it. At this rate, I expect my next car error to come when I am 38. 2019 is gonna have at least one shit day in it for ol' Shane.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #14707
Suicane75
Coordinator

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but if I never see another adult movie that features the use of a foot, it'll be too soon.

Take it from me, Nacho cheese Pringles are no good.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #14708
Easy Mac

I'll never understand how people who bill 500 less hours a year than me are somehow too busy to help me cover for a co-worker who is on vacation. I was already doing the work of almost 2 people over the course of the year, now this week I'm doing the work of almost 4.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #14709
Kodos
Resident Alien

And posting at FOFC. YOU ARE A MACHINE!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #14710
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I'll never understand how people who bill 500 less hours a year than me are somehow too busy to help me cover for a co-worker who is on vacation. I was already doing the work of almost 2 people over the course of the year, now this week I'm doing the work of almost 4.

I long ago figured out that people who boast about being very busy and working crazy hours are over compensating for their actual lower than average workload and don't want it to change. There is almost no exception to this.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-10-2015 at 12:44 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #14711
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I long ago figured out that people who boast about being very busy and working crazy hours are over compensating for their actual lower than average workload and don't want it to change. There is almost no exception to this.
I would think of it differently. In general I think people who say they are too busy to help when asked are normally below average in how busy they are.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #14712
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

As someone who is infinitely lazy I've always found this to be a terrible strategy. Keeping your head down, not saying shit, ignoring everyone else and looking like you're busy works wonders though. If you boast about being busy when you're not eventually someone will ask what you're working on, or you'll say it around someone who knows the truth and it all comes crashing down.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #14713
Grover
Pro Starter

There is a 0.0% chance that I will be seeing Everest in 3D.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #14714
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm giving serious thought to declaring myself transfinancial.

I'll declare my broke ass rich & see how it works out.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:08 AM   #14715
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's official. On June 11, 2015, JIMG came out as a tranny. Congrats Jon.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #14716
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's official. On June 11, 2015, JIMG came out as a tranny. Congrats Jon.

I'm a trendy mo'fo, what can I tell ya?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #14717
Dutch
"Dutch"

Oh great, I guess I know who's gonna be on the cover of ESPN for courage next year...please dress appropriately.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #14718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Oh great, I guess I know who's gonna be on the cover of ESPN for courage next year...please dress appropriately.

Body Issue actually.

Be afraid ...
Old 06-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #14719
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trying to post about guns without making it political is probably impossible, but it's kinda hilarious that Texas finally got open Carry passed. Something like 42 other states already had the law on their books.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #14720
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

To be fair, many of us just assumed we'd done it already.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #14721
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Two completely random thoughts I just had about the Catelyn Jenner thing-

1. When Bruce won the gold medal, he did it in Montreal in Olympic Stadium. The same Olympic Stadium that was such a piece of shit that the Expos left 10 years ago. That's how long ago the exploits on the track and field occurred. A state of the art stadium morphed into a dump

2. What's up with the decathalon. From the times I've watched, each individual event doesn't completely matter that much and most importantly the 1500M usually ends with some dude running at a reasonable pace but he's only running against the clock. The competition doesn't matter because the actual race has such limited stakes. As long as runner X runs a 4:45 1500 he gets a gold. Even if that puts him 7th in this race.
-my proposal.
Let's make the 1500M race mean something. I'm not exactly sure how to totally do the math, but somehow take the relationship between finish times and points needed and scale it out in such a manner that the person leading the event thru 9 competitions gets a significant proportional head start. If he needs to run X time, we allocate that into some formula and his 1500M is actually only 1214M. And the guys so far back may need to run 2300M. Anyways, we put everyone on the track and it's winner take all. If some dude makes up a 400M deficit, then crown his ass. Regardless, whomever crosses line first gets the gold.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #14722
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I decided to turn the regular teams in FOF to teams based on the houses in Game of Thrones. I ran a preference draft and ended up with a stud rookie QB.

The randomly generated name of the rookie's agent? George Martin.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #14723
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So I decided to turn the regular teams in FOF to teams based on the houses in Game of Thrones. I ran a preference draft and ended up with a stud rookie QB.

The randomly generated name of the rookie's agent? George Martin.

Good luck getting him into camp in the next 5-6 years

Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #14724
Schmidty
Coordinator

The MLB All-Star game is becoming a bigger and bigger sham. The fact that Hosmer might start at 1st instead of Cabrera is a complete joke. It makes me sick.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #14725
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Two completely random thoughts I just had about the Catelyn Jenner thing-

1. When Bruce won the gold medal, he did it in Montreal in Olympic Stadium. The same Olympic Stadium that was such a piece of shit that the Expos left 10 years ago. That's how long ago the exploits on the track and field occurred. A state of the art stadium morphed into a dump

2. What's up with the decathalon. From the times I've watched, each individual event doesn't completely matter that much and most importantly the 1500M usually ends with some dude running at a reasonable pace but he's only running against the clock. The competition doesn't matter because the actual race has such limited stakes. As long as runner X runs a 4:45 1500 he gets a gold. Even if that puts him 7th in this race.
-my proposal.
Let's make the 1500M race mean something. I'm not exactly sure how to totally do the math, but somehow take the relationship between finish times and points needed and scale it out in such a manner that the person leading the event thru 9 competitions gets a significant proportional head start. If he needs to run X time, we allocate that into some formula and his 1500M is actually only 1214M. And the guys so far back may need to run 2300M. Anyways, we put everyone on the track and it's winner take all. If some dude makes up a 400M deficit, then crown his ass. Regardless, whomever crosses line first gets the gold.

I actually like the staggered start idea...but your assessment of the 1500 isn't completely accurate. It has more to do with how far back the leader is from the competition in the 1500. Basically, he wants to say within X seconds of the challengers to make sure they don't overtake him in points. However, often the event is decided to the point that it is pretty much irrelevant what the leader's time is in the 1500. A good example of a close Decathlon 1500 was the one Rafer Johnson won over C K Yang. In the 1500 he knew he needed to stay close to Yang in order to win the gold medal.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #14726
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
I actually like the staggered start idea...but your assessment of the 1500 isn't completely accurate. It has more to do with how far back the leader is from the competition in the 1500. Basically, he wants to say within X seconds of the challengers to make sure they don't overtake him in points. However, often the event is decided to the point that it is pretty much irrelevant what the leader's time is in the 1500. A good example of a close Decathlon 1500 was the one Rafer Johnson won over C K Yang. In the 1500 he knew he needed to stay close to Yang in order to win the gold medal.

Time to roll out fofc's greatest athlete again! It's almost been three years!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #14727
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

+1!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #14728
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I'll see if I can dig it up...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #14729
Schmidty
Coordinator

Carl's Jr. (Hardees) has the most awful food and the most sexist, stupid commercials ever. They surpassed Jack-in-the-Crack as the sleaziest fast food restaurant around with this new commercial promoting their disgusting looking burger that also has hot dogs and potato chips on it.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #14730
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I really hate it when I run into someone so dazzingly stupid that they give me a nervous tick.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #14731
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

You know most tragedies seem to bring out the best in the human spirit.
Not a family death. Thee seem to bring out the absolute worst, shallow, greed, self-centered, self-righteous, emotions a person has.

Or maybe that is just my family.

FML, FMF...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #14732
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
You know most tragedies seem to bring out the best in the human spirit.
Not a family death. Thee seem to bring out the absolute worst, shallow, greed, self-centered, self-righteous, emotions a person has.

Or maybe that is just my family.

FML, FMF...

nope. it is a sad and yet fascinating phenomenon
Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #14733
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Carl's Jr. (Hardees) has the most awful food and the most sexist, stupid commercials ever. They surpassed Jack-in-the-Crack as the sleaziest fast food restaurant around with this new commercial promoting their disgusting looking burger that also has hot dogs and potato chips on it.

I can't let this go.

I just looked and EIGHT, count them, EIGHT KC Royals are leading. What a joke. Infante? You KC fans are a complete disaster. Thanks for your stupidity.

I also want to thank MLB for allowing this and not even caring. Morons.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #14734
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
nope. it is a sad and yet fascinating phenomenon

agreed, it's a very common thing. You're not alone CU Tiger.

Like Steam?

Old 06-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #14735
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just looked and EIGHT, count them, EIGHT KC Royals are leading. What a joke. Infante? You KC fans are a complete disaster. Thanks for your stupidity. I also want to thank MLB for allowing this and not even caring. Morons.

But IF you have the starters elected by fans then what do you do ... as one Royal said "tell them to stop voting for us?"

The better question to ask might be what's wrong with other fan bases that allow this sort of domination from one of the smallest markets in the league. And the smallest AL market by some 30%. There are TWENTY teams in markets that are double the size of KC.

I'm fine with removing the fan voting from the equation (maybe leave a last roster spot pick or something), have been for years ... but there's something to be said for doing what hasn't really been accomplished ever & not even close since 1957.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #14736
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gotta be the Google fiberhood
Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #14737
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I can't let this go.

I just looked and EIGHT, count them, EIGHT KC Royals are leading. What a joke. Infante? You KC fans are a complete disaster. Thanks for your stupidity.

I also want to thank MLB for allowing this and not even caring. Morons.

kc's got the best bot writers.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 06-16-2015 at 09:37 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #14738
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is pretty clear that there is a bot running and submitting votes. The total number of votes submitted is over twice as many as this point last year. So most of the votes aren't submitted by fans, there are some script kiddies gaming the system.

Here's the vote totals just prior to the announcement last year: American League All-Star fan voting Compare that with the totals this season with two weeks to go in the voting: MLB All-Star Game 2015 Voting: 4th Update for AL Roster Released | Bleacher Report
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #14739
Grover
Pro Starter

I love how this is an issue because its the Royals.

If it were Boston, Yankees, St Louis, nobody would care.

I think fan voting is crap, but this is the bed MLB made for themselves.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #14740
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I love how this is an issue because its the Royals.

If it were Boston, Yankees, St Louis, nobody would care.

Bullshit.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #14741
Logan
Head Coach

Agreed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #14742
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
More evidence of bots is comparing the vote totals between the AL and NL.

American League All-Star voting
National League All-Star voting
Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #14743
molson
General Manager

You can also vote 35 times per email address, so a really enthusiastic viral campaign would be enough to screw with the voting too.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #14744
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You can also vote 35 times per email address, so a really enthusiastic viral campaign would be enough to screw with the voting too.

True, but not to the amount seen. I'd like to see FiveThirtyEight do an analysis of the voting.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #14745
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I think internet fan voting is crap.

Yep, bring back punch ballots and only vote at games.

Like Steam?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #14746
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
More evidence of bots is comparing the vote totals between the AL and NL.

American League All-Star voting
National League All-Star voting

Gotta love a .214 hitter with 1 HR (Rios) with more votes than Harper (.337, 21) the leader in the NL.

Like Steam?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #14747
PilotMan
Head Coach

I still wish I was going to the game this year, but with this whole situation it would have left a sour taste in my mouth.

Like Steam?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #14748
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Cardinals the Patriots of Major League baseball?

Edit: wrong thread, carry on.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 06-16-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Duh
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #14749
Schmidty
Coordinator

The only reason that the Blackhawks are so good is because the Red Wings kicked the shit out of them for 20+ years.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #14750
Logan
Head Coach

I really, really want to buy this.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...-LOT33855.aspx
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote