Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Interesting article - How Companies Learn Your Secrets

How Companies Learn Your Secrets - NYTimes.com

Interesting article about how companies like Target use your shopping habits to get you to do more of your shopping at their stores. (Beware, pregnant women!)

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think the most interesting part of that is that all of your priorities jumble when you're about to become a new parent.

Frankly, it's what scares me the most about parenting more than anything. Yeah, I'm going to screw up the kid in some way but what parent doesn't? But I don't like the stereotype that everyone basically becomes a selfish, unthinking bastard when they become a a parent ("I know what's best for my little Billy, dammit, and who cares about the rest of your little stupid kids")

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think that with no kids you don't really even think about other stupid kids, but in reality you probably hate them at that point as well. It just becomes more magnified when you have your own kids and you realize that all of the other kids out there don't matter to you. Maybe with the exception of neices/nephews and a few other kids of close friends.

Last edited by stevew : 02-20-2012 at 02:27 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think becoming a parent actually makes you much less selfish, as you spend most of your time putting your needs second to the needs of your kids.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think becoming a parent actually makes you much less selfish, as you spend most of your time putting your needs second to the needs of your kids.

I don't mean to really derail things as I think we're in danger of it, but I don't mean selfish towards yourself. But there is a significant increase in selfishness towards your family unit. Basically, when it's just you or you and your spouse, you are selfish to a certain level for your family- let's call it 1 "Selfish Unit" (SU). However, when you have 1 or 2 kids, that number doesn't go proportionally to 1.5 or 2.0 Selfish Units, but it jumps to like 3 or 5 SUs.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote